strathspey Archive: Guests at Mairi's Wedding

Guests at Mairi's Wedding

Message 60320 · campbell · 7 Feb 2011 18:59:46 · Top

Can anyone help me? I am due to teach the reel Guests at Mairis Wedding
tomorrow evening and cannot lay my hands on the description, which someone
gave me some years ago. It is a 5 couple reel where the first 24 bars are
the original Mairis Wedding done by 1st and 3rd couples and then the final
16 bars is spent sorting the couples out again!

Private replies to me are most welcome and appreciated. In haste

Campbell Tyler
Cape Town

Guests at Mairi's Wedding

Message 60322 · campbell · 7 Feb 2011 19:42:16 · Top

4 private replies in 30 minutes, thanks so much Rosemary,Lydia, Malcolm and
Peter. STrathspey comes up trumps yet again.

Campbell Tyler
Cape Town

Can anyone help me? I am due to teach the reel Guests at Mairis Wedding
tomorrow evening and cannot lay my hands on the description, which someone
gave me some years ago. It is a 5 couple reel where the first 24 bars are
the original Mairis Wedding done by 1st and 3rd couples and then the final
16 bars is spent sorting the couples out again!

Private replies to me are most welcome and appreciated. In haste

Campbell Tyler
Cape Town

database 5853 (20110207) __________

http://www.eset.com

database 5853 (20110207) __________

http://www.eset.com

Guests at Mairi's Wedding

Message 60326 · mhandbill · 7 Feb 2011 22:04:49 · Top

Sounds like a fun dance. Is there someplace out there to get the original instructions?
Mary Helen

4 private replies in 30 minutes, thanks so much Rosemary,Lydia, Malcolm and
eter. STrathspey comes up trumps yet again.
Campbell Tyler
ape Town
Can anyone help me? I am due to teach the reel Guests at Mairis Wedding
omorrow evening and cannot lay my hands on the description, which someone
ave me some years ago. It is a 5 couple reel where the first 24 bars are
he original Mairis Wedding done by 1st and 3rd couples and then the final
6 bars is spent sorting the couples out again!

rivate replies to me are most welcome and appreciated. In haste

ampbell Tyler
ape Town

_________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature
atabase 5853 (20110207) __________
http://www.eset.com

atabase 5853 (20110207) __________
http://www.eset.com

Guests at Mairi's Wedding

Message 60327 · Lydia Hedge · 7 Feb 2011 22:06:48 · Top

The Dookie Book.

Lydia Hedge
Nova Scotia

> Sounds like a fun dance. Is there someplace out there to get the
> original instructions? Mary Helen

Message 60329 · Iain Boyd · 8 Feb 2011 06:56:11 · Top

The only problem with that valuable piece of information, Lydia, is that this
collection is out of print and has been ever since it was published. It was
printed as a limited edition for the last Australian winter school held by the
Melbourne Branch. I have been trying to obtain a copy for several years now!

Iain Boyd

Postal Address -

P O Box 11-404
Wellington 6142
New Zealand

________________________________
> Sounds like a fun dance. Is there someplace out there to get the
> original instructions? Mary Helen

Message 60330 · Peter Renzland · 8 Feb 2011 06:58:51 · Top

http://www.rscdsleeds.org.uk/allSource.asp?Crib=G&O%20Senyk=&offset=2630

On 2011 Feb 7, at 16:04 , mhandbill@aol.com wrote:

> Sounds like a fun dance. Is there someplace out there to get the original instructions?
> Mary Helen

Guests at Mairi's Wedding

Message 60331 · Malcolm Austen · 8 Feb 2011 17:50:20 · Top

On Tue, 08 Feb 2011 05:58:51 -0000, Peter Renzland <peter@dancing.org>
wrote:
> http://www.rscdsleeds.org.uk/allSource.asp?Crib=G&O%20Senyk=&offset=2630

Unfortunately that's just a crib, indeed the same words as are in MiniCrib.

I have some notes on bars 25-40 but they are not mine, so I'll seek
permission before posting them on here. I have already passed them to
Cameron privately.

Malcolm.

Guests at Mairi's Wedding

Message 60332 · Peter Renzland · 8 Feb 2011 20:22:45 · Top

I can imagine challenges with direction in the diagonal R&L, and with collision/timing in the shuffle.

This may help:

_A_ctives turn _A_cute (reverse general up-down direction).
_Others_ turn _O_btuse (continue in general up-down direction.

If I were a 5, I would step up on 3&4, out&in, rather than the usual in&out, to give the 1s a clear path.

FWIW. My only experience with this dance involves Canadian coins. :-)

On 2011 Feb 8, at 11:50 , Malcolm Austen wrote:

>> On 2011 Feb 7, at 16:04 , mhandbill@aol.com wrote:
>>> Sounds like a fun dance. Is there someplace out there to get the original instructions?
>>> Mary Helen
>
> On Tue, 08 Feb 2011 05:58:51 -0000, Peter Renzland <peter@dancing.org> wrote:
>> http://www.rscdsleeds.org.uk/allSource.asp?Crib=G&O%20Senyk=&offset=2630
>
> Unfortunately that's just a crib, indeed the same words as are in MiniCrib.
>
> I have some notes on bars 25-40 but they are not mine, so I'll seek permission before posting them on here. I have already passed them to Cameron privately.
>
> Malcolm.
>
> --
> Using Opera's revolutionary email client: http://www.opera.com/mail/

Guests at Mairi's Wedding

Message 60333 · Mike Briggs · 8 Feb 2011 20:31:45 · Top

The Leeds crib shows this as a 32-bar reel. Surely not.

Mike

1519 Storytown Road
Oregon WI 53711-1925 USA
+1 608 835 0914 (voice)
+1 608 237 2379 (fax)

Guests at Mairi's Wedding

Message 60335 · Malcolm Austen · 9 Feb 2011 15:11:27 · Top

On Tue, 08 Feb 2011 19:31:45 -0000, Norma or Mike Briggs
<briggslaw@yahoo.com> wrote:

> The Leeds crib shows this as a 32-bar reel. Surely not.

Certainly not! It includes 40 bars or steps so you'll have to get a move
on to complete them in 32 bars of music :-)

Malcolm.

Guests at Mairi's Wedding

Message 60336 · Hanny Budnick · 9 Feb 2011 15:33:33 · Top

So what ARE the last 8 bars???
Hanny

Guests at Mairi's Wedding

Message 60337 · Malcolm Austen · 9 Feb 2011 15:44:10 · Top

On Wed, 09 Feb 2011 14:33:33 -0000, Hanny Budnick <kyrmyt@cavtel.net>
wrote:

> So what ARE the last 8 bars???

As in MiniCrib, it's really only bars 25-32 on which MiniCrib is a little
too terse for comfort.

Malcolm.

Guests at Mairi's Wedding

Message 60334 · George Watt · 9 Feb 2011 12:15:49 · Top

Sticking a bit on the end of a dance is not a dance!

Nice idea had it involved 5 couples ie 1st couple doing diagonal 1/2 reels from 3rd place with 3s and 4s and introducing 2s and 5s as 'guests' - promenade hold maybe? Needs some more thought.

George T. Watt,
4 Ancrum Drive,
Dundee.
DD2 2JB
Scotland.

tel. 01382 642131

> Subject: Re: Guests at Mairi's Wedding
> From: peter@dancing.org
> Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 14:22:45 -0500
> To: strathspey@strathspey.org
>
> I can imagine challenges with direction in the diagonal R&L, and with collision/timing in the shuffle.
>
> This may help:
>
> _A_ctives turn _A_cute (reverse general up-down direction).
> _Others_ turn _O_btuse (continue in general up-down direction.
>

> If I were a 5, I would step up on 3&4, out&in, rather than the usual in&out, to give the 1s a clear path.
>
> FWIW. My only experience with this dance involves Canadian coins. :-)

> > On Tue, 08 Feb 2011 05:58:51 -0000, Peter Renzland <peter@dancing.org> wrote:
> >> http://www.rscdsleeds.org.uk/allSource.asp?Crib=G&O%20Senyk=&offset=2630
> >
> > Unfortunately that's just a crib, indeed the same words as are in MiniCrib.
> >
> > I have some notes on bars 25-40 but they are not mine, so I'll seek permission before posting them on here. I have already passed them to Cameron privately.
> >
> > Malcolm.
> >
> > --
> > Using Opera's revolutionary email client: http://www.opera.com/mail/

Guests at Mairi's Wedding

Message 60338 · Malcolm Austen · 9 Feb 2011 15:53:46 · Top

On Tue, 08 Feb 2011 16:50:20 -0000, Malcolm Austen
<malcolm.austen@weald.org.uk> wrote:

> I have some notes on bars 25-40 but they are not mine, so I'll seek
> permission before posting them on here.

Janine Scott, who teaches a class in Paphos in Cyprus, has given me
permission to distribute these notes. She has commented that they are just
personal notes written after being taught the dance by a visitor to Paphos.

I note that they actually cover only bars 25-36, don't forget the turn on
the end as I did last night ... cries of 'how do we make that fill 8 bars'
were heard :-)

regards, Malcolm.

Janine's notes:

At the end of the 'Mairi's Wedding Reels' the order of dancers is ...

4M, 1L 2M 3L 2L
Top Bottom

5M 1M 5L 3M 4L

because all 4 of the 1/2 diagonal reels are completed only the 1s & 3s are
opposite their partners, (unlike Polharrow Burn when only 3 of the 1/2
diagonal reels are completed). In other words the set is jumbled to start
with rather than the other way around!

- for the first 1/2 diagonal, the 4's (who are in the 1st ladies, and 5th
mans positions) stand still
- for the second 1/2 diagonal, the 2M and 5L stand still (the 1st half
diagonal got them 'home')

The bit in MiniCrib where it says 'M down' supposedly refers to the 1M &
3M as 'lead dancers' because in fact the 2M dances up in the first 1/2
diagonal R&L

I think that one of the most useful tips for learning the R&L bits is that
after both 1/2 diagonal R&L the 1's & 3's finish where they start (just
like they do for the reels), and for the other dancers to think of where
they have to finish, not necessarily how they get there!

at the end of the diagonal R&L's the order should be (if you're lucky!)

2L 1L 4L 3L 5L
Top Bottom
2M 1M 4M 3M 5M

then the 1s lead down to 5th position & 3's cast up to finish.....

2L 3L 4L 5L 1L
Top Bottom
2M 3M 4M 5M 1M