strathspey Archive: leading down and separating

leading down and separating

Message 60236 · Helen B · 20 Jan 2011 17:02:47 · Top

Greetings and Happy New Year,

I am looking for dances where more than one couple leads or dances down the
middle and the following couple(s) separate to let the leading couple come back
up first. I've thought of Silver Tassie but I'm sure I know far more than that
and I'd prefer them in quick time. Dance data shows 316 dances with lead down
and up and I can't see a way to narrow that search down - am I missing
something?

Thank you,
Helen
Dublin SCD Club and RSCDS International Branch

leading down and separating

Message 60237 · Martin Campoveja · 20 Jan 2011 17:24:50 · Top

2011/1/20 Helen B wrote :

> I am looking for dances where more than one couple leads or dances down the
> middle and the following couple(s) separate to let the leading couple come
> back

Mr Iain S Robertson, bk 42,
was quite a favorite in Grenoble.

Martin

leading down and separating

Message 60241 · lindasuzan · 20 Jan 2011 17:51:49 · Top

Silver Tassie,
Linda

2011/1/20 Helen B wrote :

> I am looking for dances where more than one couple leads or dances down the
> middle and the following couple(s) separate to let the leading couple come
> back

Mr Iain S Robertson, bk 42,
was quite a favorite in Grenoble.

Martin

leading down and separating

Message 60240 · GOSS9@telefonica.net · 20 Jan 2011 17:47:13 · Top

Sorry, but I have no easy access to my data base collected for the school of Scottish Studies, of which the RSCDS should have a hard copy.
Yes there is a solution to your question. Each figure was designated by a 5 character code.
1 was a control character, that not only predicted the result, but allowed the computer to pick up an error, if the progression was not achieved.
2 was the figure type, and 3 the sub type
4 identified the dancers, with 5 indicating a change in dancers within the figure.
So if 1s lead 2s down and back, then there would be no progression or change of position, so the first character in the code would be "0" and
the 4th would be "2". However if the 2s led back indicating a progression, the first character would be "1" indicating that at the end of the figure the set
would be in order of 2 1 3 4.

Richard Goss
[note new address ritxart9@movistar.es] It would speeding responses up if "strathspey.org" changed my address in their e-mail system.]

Changing your email address (was Leading down and separating)

Message 60242 · Jan Rudge · 20 Jan 2011 19:09:59 · Top

> Richard Goss
> [note new address ritxart9@movistar.es] It would speeding responses up if "strathspey.org" changed my address in their e-mail system.]

As I'm sure you're aware, "strathspey.org" is an automated mail system - if you want to change the email address that messages are sent to, you have to tell it by unsubscribing from your old email address and subscribing again from your new address (not necessarily in that order).

:o)

Jan
Beaconsfield, UK

leading down and separating

Message 60247 · Denise Smith · 21 Jan 2011 00:27:51 · Top

RSCDS publication "Index To Formations and Movements in Scottish Country
dances' is useful for information like this. These are listed

Saw Ye My Wee Thing Book 25
A Trip To Glasgow Leaflet
The Duke He was A Bonnie Beau Bk 24
The Camp of Pleasure Bk 15
Sandy O'er The Lea MMM2

Cheers
Denise Smith

On , Helen B <nellifant@ymail.com> wrote:
> Greetings and Happy New Year,

> I am looking for dances where more than one couple leads or dances down
> the

> middle and the following couple(s) separate to let the leading couple
> come back

> up first. I've thought of Silver Tassie but I'm sure I know far more than
> that

> and I'd prefer them in quick time. Dance data shows 316 dances with lead
> down

> and up and I can't see a way to narrow that search down - am I missing

> something?

> Thank you,

> Helen

> Dublin SCD Club and RSCDS International Branch

leading down and separating

Message 60249 · Anselm Lingnau · 21 Jan 2011 09:54:39 · Top

Denise Smith wrote:

> RSCDS publication "Index To Formations and Movements in Scottish Country
> dances' is useful for information like this. These are listed
>
> Saw Ye My Wee Thing Book 25
> A Trip To Glasgow Leaflet
> The Duke He was A Bonnie Beau Bk 24
> The Camp of Pleasure Bk 15
> Sandy O'er The Lea MMM2

Also consider Alltshellach (from book 23) and Summer Wooing (from book 38) –
off the top of my head.

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Mainz/Mayence, Germany ................. anselm@strathspey.org
French food is pretty tasty, except for the snails, which I do not believe the