strathspey Archive: Arran Chase

Arran Chase

Message 60226 · Nicola Scott · 18 Jan 2011 16:32:40 · Top

Hi everyone

I've been asked to teach Arran Chase (R8x32, F Reid Snr) tonight, but don't
have the original instructions, so am working from Minicrib.

I have a couple of queries, I hope someone might be able to help!

In bars 13-16, the 1s are turning RH to finish facing their second corners.
I think this turn could either be about three quarters or one and three
quarters (it's in 4 bars) - does anyone know?

In bars 31-32 the 1s pass RSh to 2nd place own sides, from double triangle
position. Does this use pas-de-basque or skip change of step?

Many thanks for your help everyone, and apologies for not being organised
enough to look at this before!!

Nicola
Birmingham, UK

Arran Chase

Message 60227 · Agnes MacMichael · 18 Jan 2011 17:11:36 · Top

Hi Nicola
My reading of the instructions is it would be a 3/4 turn, as first couple
are in 2nd place and they are to finish facing 3rd corner position, which is
your partner's 1st corner postion.

As far as bars 13-16. As this is double triangles, to me it should be
pas-de-basque for all 8 bars.

I hope this helps.

Regards
Agnes Macmichael
West Lothian

On 18 January 2011 15:32, Nicola Scott <nicolascott78@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone
>
> I've been asked to teach Arran Chase (R8x32, F Reid Snr) tonight, but don't
> have the original instructions, so am working from Minicrib.
>
> I have a couple of queries, I hope someone might be able to help!
>
> In bars 13-16, the 1s are turning RH to finish facing their second corners.
> I think this turn could either be about three quarters or one and three
> quarters (it's in 4 bars) - does anyone know?
>
> In bars 31-32 the 1s pass RSh to 2nd place own sides, from double triangle
> position. Does this use pas-de-basque or skip change of step?
>
> Many thanks for your help everyone, and apologies for not being organised
> enough to look at this before!!
>
> Nicola
> Birmingham, UK

Arran Chase

Message 60228 · mlamontbrown · 18 Jan 2011 17:40:02 · Top

Hi Nicola

The instructions for bars 9-12 are:

1C dance diagonal 1/2 R of 4 with first corners, passing each other by right on last
step to face ready for

9-16 right hand turn, finish facing second corners, who will be in correct places.

So I think the turn is more that once round

As the first 2 bars are
1C cast one own sides to 2nd place

And bars 31-32 are
1C dance round by right shoulder and out to 2nd places own sides facing out ready for
repeat,

I would think this was skip change

Malcolm

Malcolm L Brown
York (UK)

Arran Chase

Message 60229 · Agnes MacMichael · 18 Jan 2011 18:25:03 · Top

Malcolm, I thought that double triangles was 8 bars of pas-de-basque. Am I
to understand then that this is 6 bars of double triangles and using skip
change for last 2 steps to dance round each other into 2nd place own sides
ready to begin again?
Agnes
West Lothian

On 18 January 2011 16:40, mlamontbrown <mlamontbrown@btopenworld.com> wrote:

> Hi Nicola
>
> The instructions for bars 9-12 are:
>
> 1C dance diagonal 1/2 R of 4 with first corners, passing each other by
> right on last
> step to face ready for
>
> 9-16 right hand turn, finish facing second corners, who will be in correct
> places.
>
> So I think the turn is more that once round
>

> As the first 2 bars are
> 1C cast one own sides to 2nd place
>
> And bars 31-32 are
> 1C dance round by right shoulder and out to 2nd places own sides facing out
> ready for
> repeat,
>
> I would think this was skip change
>
> Malcolm
>
> Malcolm L Brown
> York (UK)

Arran Chase

Message 60231 · mlamontbrown · 18 Jan 2011 19:31:04 · Top

The instructions for bars 25-32 are

25-26 Triangles on sides
27-28 1C pas-de-basque round to face opposite sides whilst 2C and 3C cross to own
sides, RH
29-30 Triangles on sides
31-32 1C dance round by right shoulder and out to 2nd places own sides facing out
ready for repeat

Argument for pas de basque - 8 bars of pas de basque in double triangles

Argument for skip change - it is not really double triangles because the 2s & 3s
cross over, and you use skip change for the next 2 bars while casting off, and it
doesn't say that the 2s & 3s continue setting

It is just an opinion

Malcolm

Malcolm L Brown
York (UK)