strathspey Archive: Ythanside

Ythanside

Message 60205 · Werner, E. · 10 Jan 2011 10:37:49 · Top

Dear All,

Does anyone perhaps know what the correct pronunciation is of the dance title Ythanside?
I have heard saying it is pronounced [yãnside], but I don't know if that's correct.
It might though be less complicated than 'Breadalbane' and 'Menzies', to name but a few...

Thanks a lot in advance!

Regards

Edwin Werner

Ythanside

Message 60206 · alan mair · 10 Jan 2011 10:52:39 · Top

Try (EE)thanside (as in BEE)

Alan
Cupar
Fife

----- Original Message -----
From: "Werner, E." <E.Werner@students.uu.nl>
To: <strathspey@strathspey.org>
Sent: Monday, January 10, 2011 9:37 AM
Subject: Ythanside

Dear All,

Does anyone perhaps know what the correct pronunciation is of the dance
title Ythanside?
I have heard saying it is pronounced [yãnside], but I don't know if that's
correct.
It might though be less complicated than 'Breadalbane' and 'Menzies', to
name but a few...

Thanks a lot in advance!

Regards

Edwin Werner

Ythanside

Message 60208 · Jinkdiddle · 10 Jan 2011 17:24:06 · Top

Actually, according to Ron Hobson, Pitlochry, it's "I"than (as in Aye or
Eye)

Moira J Turner
Jink & Diddle School of Scottish Fiddling
804 778 4708
804 778 7540 (FAX)
804 647 2164 (cell)
www.jinkdiddle.com

In a message dated 1/10/2011 4:52:37 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
alan@abercorn58.freeserve.co.uk writes:

Try (EE)thanside (as in BEE)

Alan
Cupar
Fife

Does anyone perhaps know what the correct pronunciation is of the dance
title Ythanside?
I have heard saying it is pronounced [yãnside], but I don't know if that's

correct.
It might though be less complicated than 'Breadalbane' and 'Menzies', to
name but a few...

Thanks a lot in advance!

Regards

Edwin Werner

Ythanside

Message 60209 · Jean Martin · 10 Jan 2011 17:36:13 · Top

'Actually, according to Ron Hobson, Pitlochry, it's "I"than (as in Aye or
Eye)'

As an Aberdeenshire native I'd agree with that pronunciation too. Certainly
that's how it is said around here.

Jean Martin
Aberdeen