strathspey Archive: Need help with unknown music

Need help with unknown music

Message 59771 · Cord Walter · 9 Nov 2010 18:42:18 · Top

I've just come across four untagged mp3s in my collection that I can't
find on any of my CDs (and, of course, we can't have that ;) ).

I think, the four songs are from a CD I copied back in the 90s,
instruments are just fiddle / piano and they sounds a bit like
Fraser/Smith "Old Favourites and Odd Couples" or some tracks on Muriel
Johnstone's MacNab CD (I suspect in fact, that it is an MJ recording).

But you can hear for yourself, I've put the tracks here for the moment:

http://home.snafu.de/cord.walter/misc/scd/

Any ideas regarding artist or CD?

-Cord

Need help with unknown music

Message 59772 · Steve Wyrick · 9 Nov 2010 18:51:51 · Top

I'm almost positive those are all from the first Terpsichore album, fiddler
Elke Baker & pianist Liz Donaldson. Not near my CDs at the moment
thought... -Steve

--
Steve Wyrick -- Walnut Creek, California

Need help with unknown music

Message 59773 · Steve Wyrick · 9 Nov 2010 18:55:56 · Top

*though

This album: http://my.strathspey.org/dd/album/19/

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 9:51 AM, Steve Wyrick <sjwyrick@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm almost positive those are all from the first Terpsichore album, fiddler
> Elke Baker & pianist Liz Donaldson. Not near my CDs at the moment
> thought... -Steve
>

> On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 9:42 AM, Cord Walter <cord.walter@cwalter.net>wrote:
>
>> I've just come across four untagged mp3s in my collection that I can't
>> find on any of my CDs (and, of course, we can't have that ;) ).
>>
>> I think, the four songs are from a CD I copied back in the 90s,
>> instruments are just fiddle / piano and they sounds a bit like
>> Fraser/Smith "Old Favourites and Odd Couples" or some tracks on Muriel
>> Johnstone's MacNab CD (I suspect in fact, that it is an MJ recording).
>>
>> But you can hear for yourself, I've put the tracks here for the moment:
>>
>> http://home.snafu.de/cord.walter/misc/scd/
>>
>> Any ideas regarding artist or CD?
>>
>> -Cord
>>

> --
> Steve Wyrick -- Walnut Creek, California

--
Steve Wyrick -- Walnut Creek, California

Need help with unknown music

Message 59774 · Steve Wyrick · 9 Nov 2010 18:55:56 · Top

*though

This album: http://my.strathspey.org/dd/album/19/

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 9:51 AM, Steve Wyrick <sjwyrick@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm almost positive those are all from the first Terpsichore album, fiddler
> Elke Baker & pianist Liz Donaldson. Not near my CDs at the moment
> thought... -Steve
>

> On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 9:42 AM, Cord Walter <cord.walter@cwalter.net>wrote:
>
>> I've just come across four untagged mp3s in my collection that I can't
>> find on any of my CDs (and, of course, we can't have that ;) ).
>>
>> I think, the four songs are from a CD I copied back in the 90s,
>> instruments are just fiddle / piano and they sounds a bit like
>> Fraser/Smith "Old Favourites and Odd Couples" or some tracks on Muriel
>> Johnstone's MacNab CD (I suspect in fact, that it is an MJ recording).
>>
>> But you can hear for yourself, I've put the tracks here for the moment:
>>
>> http://home.snafu.de/cord.walter/misc/scd/
>>
>> Any ideas regarding artist or CD?
>>
>> -Cord
>>

> --
> Steve Wyrick -- Walnut Creek, California

--
Steve Wyrick -- Walnut Creek, California

Need help with unknown music

Message 59776 · Gary Lindsey · 9 Nov 2010 19:04:27 · Top

Espie McNabb played by Terpsichore and is track 1 on the album "Terpsichore,
Scottish Dance Music".

  Gary Lindsey
Dayton, Ohio

________________________________
> I'm almost positive those are all from the first Terpsichore album, fiddler
> Elke Baker & pianist Liz Donaldson.  Not near my CDs at the moment
> thought... -Steve
>

> On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 9:42 AM, Cord Walter <cord.walter@cwalter.net>wrote:
>
>> I've just come across four untagged mp3s in my collection that I can't
>> find on any of my CDs (and, of course, we can't have that ;) ).
>>
>> I think, the four songs are from a CD I copied back in the 90s,
>> instruments are just fiddle / piano and they sounds a bit like
>> Fraser/Smith "Old Favourites and Odd Couples" or some tracks on Muriel
>> Johnstone's MacNab CD (I suspect in fact, that it is an MJ recording).
>>
>> But you can hear for yourself, I've put the tracks here for the moment:
>>
>> http://home.snafu.de/cord.walter/misc/scd/
>>
>> Any ideas regarding artist or CD?
>>
>> -Cord
>>

> --
> Steve Wyrick -- Walnut Creek, California

--
Steve Wyrick -- Walnut Creek, California

Need help with unknown music

Message 59775 · Phill Jones · 9 Nov 2010 19:01:10 · Top

Doesn't DanceData have 15 second clips for some tracks? Maybe you can compare them there?

Phill

--
Steve Wyrick -- Walnut Creek, California

Need help with unknown music

Message 59777 · marjoriem · 9 Nov 2010 19:24:02 · Top

The recordings are all from the CD "Terpsichore" by Elke Baker (fiddle) and
Liz Donaldson (piano) 1994

Track 1 8x32 Jig - Espie McNabb (track 1 on the CD)
Track 2 8x32 Jig - Ellie's Jig (track 4 on the CD)
Track 3 8x32 Reel - Sleepy Maggie (track 9 on the CD)
Track 4 4x32 Strathspey - Set of Strathspeys ( track 3 on the CD)
"Lassie I'll Come Near Yow" (trad.) & "Mor a Cheannaich" (trad.)

The CD lists the strathspey as 8x32 and you have it as 4x32, but in fact it
s 3x32!

Marjorie McLaughlin
San Diego

I've just come across four untagged mp3s in my collection that I can't
find on any of my CDs (and, of course, we can't have that ;) ).

I think, the four songs are from a CD I copied back in the 90s,
instruments are just fiddle / piano and they sounds a bit like
Fraser/Smith "Old Favourites and Odd Couples" or some tracks on Muriel
Johnstone's MacNab CD (I suspect in fact, that it is an MJ recording).

But you can hear for yourself, I've put the tracks here for the moment:

http://home.snafu.de/cord.walter/misc/scd/

Any ideas regarding artist or CD?

-Cord

Need help with unknown music

Message 59778 · Cord Walter · 9 Nov 2010 19:28:41 · Top

Big thanks to all who helped... and it took only 42 minutes. Brilliant :)

-Cord