strathspey Archive: Drummond Castle

Drummond Castle

Message 59305 · sophie.rickebusch · 5 Sep 2010 20:03:03 · Top

Hi All,

I've just noticed a difference between the instructions for Drummond
Castle which I have (seemingly photocopied from a book, which I presume
is J. Drewry's Bankhead book 3) and the ones in Minicrib and Eric
Ferguson's cribs. Mine say:
17-22 1s dance reels of 3 on sides, giving RSh to 2nd corners to start
23-24 1s cross RH
25-32 2s+1s+3s dance wheelie chain

whereas both sets of cribs give:
17-24 1s dance reels of 3 on sides, giving RSh to 2nd corners to start
25-32 2s+1s+3s adv+ret twice, 1s changing pl (BH) on bar 31

So, two quite different endings... can anyone shed any light? I would of
course be inclined to go with the full instructions, which is also the
way we danced it in the Dancing Forth show this summer. However, as both
sets of cribs agree but are worded differently (i.e. don't seem to be
just copied from each other), I just wondered if there had been several
versions of this dance.

Cheers,
Sophie
--

Sophie Rickebusch
Edinburgh, UK

Drummond Castle

Message 59306 · Agnes MacMichael · 5 Sep 2010 20:33:44 · Top

Hi Sophie
Here are the instructions as written by John Drewry in his Bankhead Book 3

17-22 1st cpl dance reels of 3 on sides with their corners, they begin by
giving right shoulder to second corner.

21-24 1st cpl giving right hand cross to own side.

25-32 Wheelie Chain

Hope this helps

Agnes - West Lothian
On 5 September 2010 19:03, Sophie Rickebusch <sophie.rickebusch@o2.co.uk>wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I've just noticed a difference between the instructions for Drummond Castle
> which I have (seemingly photocopied from a book, which I presume is J.
> Drewry's Bankhead book 3) and the ones in Minicrib and Eric Ferguson's
> cribs. Mine say:
> 17-22 1s dance reels of 3 on sides, giving RSh to 2nd corners to start
> 23-24 1s cross RH
> 25-32 2s+1s+3s dance wheelie chain
>

> whereas both sets of cribs give:
> 17-24 1s dance reels of 3 on sides, giving RSh to 2nd corners to start
> 25-32 2s+1s+3s adv+ret twice, 1s changing pl (BH) on bar 31
>
> So, two quite different endings... can anyone shed any light? I would of
> course be inclined to go with the full instructions, which is also the way
> we danced it in the Dancing Forth show this summer. However, as both sets of
> cribs agree but are worded differently (i.e. don't seem to be just copied
> from each other), I just wondered if there had been several versions of this
> dance.
>
> Cheers,
> Sophie
> --
>
> Sophie Rickebusch
> Edinburgh, UK

Drummond Castle

Message 59307 · sophie.rickebusch · 5 Sep 2010 21:41:54 · Top

Hi Agnes,

That's the same as on the copy I have, so that confirms it. Thanks!

Sophie

--

Sophie Rickebusch
Edinburgh, UK

Drummond Castle

Message 59309 · e.ferguson · 6 Sep 2010 00:03:58 · Top

Hi All,

Thanks, Sophie and Agnes, for correcting my crib.

My crib was taken from dancing Drummond Castle in Nunspeet in
february 2000; the teacher probably "simplified" the dance without
telling us.

I apologise for this mistake, and for misleading Charles Upton, who
may well have used my crib as source for his Minicrib.

I have not managed to find a description of the "Wheelie Chain" in a
3C set. Can someone please post that, or a URL?

I make a strong plea to all teachers: There is no objection to
modifying a dance for class or social, but PLEASE ALWAYS TELL THE
DANCERS. It is very disturbing if you think you know a dance (or
have written it down), and then discover you have learnt a modified
version.

All of you, PLEASE tell me of any errors you find in my cribs. I am
actively checking them and adding new dances, but there is still so
much to be done.

Happy dancing,

Eric

--
Eric T. Ferguson,
van Reenenweg 3, 3702 SB ZEIST Netherlands

Drummond Castle

Message 59311 · mlamontbrown · 6 Sep 2010 15:10:55 · Top

Notes sent to Eric

Malcolm L Brown
York (UK)