strathspey Archive: Quick time Poussette (was Change in the Modern World)

Quick time Poussette (was Change in the Modern World)

Message 58809 · Jerome Reinstein · 31 May 2010 11:46:50 · Top

" ....a question about whether the man needed to start on his left
foot."

"...as the
decision had been made so many years ago it would be impossible to change it."

I realized a long time ago that it didn't make any difference how I started. Many women dancing as men have always known that and women have particular trouble changing when the dancing as men. So to insist that men start on the left foot makes no sense to me. Perhaps the E&T Committee could tell us why the 'official' way is left foot and why it makes a difference.

Jerry
London & Paris

Quick time Poussette (was Change in the Modern World)

Message 58817 · Patricia Ruggiero · 31 May 2010 15:53:05 · Top

Jerry wrote:
> I realized a long time ago that it didn't make any difference how I
> started. Many women dancing as men have always known that

I'm one of those women. Haven't had an intersecting jete' yet.

Pat
Charlottesville, Virginia
USA

Quick time Poussette (was Change in the Modern World)

Message 58828 · Lara Friedman-Shedlov · 1 Jun 2010 03:47:44 · Top

I can't speak for the E & T Committee, but one reason for having the men
start on the left foot is that it looks nicer to have all the feet going the
same direction. I think so, anyway. That's not necessarily important
enough to justify the other problems the foot switch creates, but just
sayin'.

/ Lara Friedman-Shedlov
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

*****************************
Lara Friedman~Shedlov
lfriedmanshedlov@gmail.com

*****************************

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 4:46 AM, jar@reinsteinassociates.com <
jar@reinsteinassociates.com> wrote:

> Perhaps the E&T Committee could tell us why the 'official' way is left foot
> and why it makes a difference.

Quick time Poussette (was Change in the Modern World)

Message 58829 · mlamontbrown · 1 Jun 2010 11:58:48 · Top

Perhaps we would get this effect more easily if the men started dancing on the left
foot and the ladies started dancing on their right (or vice versa) - then when they
led down the middle and up the feet would be symmetrical, and it would make casting
off easier for the men.

Malcolm

Malcolm L Brown
York (UK)

Message 58830 · Anselm Lingnau · 1 Jun 2010 12:26:44 · Top

Malcolm Brown wrote:

> Perhaps we would get this effect more easily if the men started dancing on
> the left foot and the ladies started dancing on their right (or vice
> versa) - then when they led down the middle and up the feet would be
> symmetrical, and it would make casting off easier for the men.

That would also take care of the problem many bagpipe players have when they
take up dancing, namely that they seem utterly unable to start doing anything
with the right foot first. (Too bad for the lady bagpipe players.)

*And* it would fix the issue that somebody raised ages ago on this list who
thought that it would be much nicer if, in strathspey setting, both parties
started off in the same direction rather than away from each other.

These are obviously major improvements, so who cares if circles get a shot of
weirdness? Also, hello-goodbye setting and double triangles no longer work the
way we knew them, but no one likes those figures anyway.

Anselm
:^)
--
Anselm Lingnau, Friedberg, Germany ..................... anselm@strathspey.org
The happiest people seem to be those who have no particular reason for being

Quick time Poussette (was Change in the Modern World)

Message 58831 · Lee Fuell · 1 Jun 2010 13:07:40 · Top

Or anyone who's ever served in the military and marched in formation. Stepping off on the left foot gets drilled in; it's hard to drill out!

Lee

Beavercreek, OH, USA

>That would also take care of the problem many bagpipe players have when they
>take up dancing, namely that they seem utterly unable to start doing anything
>with the right foot first. (Too bad for the lady bagpipe players.)

Quick time Poussette (was Change in the Modern World)

Message 58863 · Brian Charlton · 2 Jun 2010 00:33:17 · Top

Hello All,

I had no problem with which foot to start when I was doing National Service
and started scottish country dancing on Tuesday evenings in the Church of
Scotland Canteen in Catterick. But then, I was only 18 and not interested in
the army!

Brian Charlton,
Sydney, Australia

On 1 June 2010 21:07, Lee Fuell <fuell@mindspring.com> wrote:

> Or anyone who's ever served in the military and marched in formation.
> Stepping off on the left foot gets drilled in; it's hard to drill out!
>
> Lee
>
> Beavercreek, OH, USA

Message 58832 · Wouter Joubert · 1 Jun 2010 13:49:58 · Top

> Also, hello-goodbye setting and double triangles no longer work the
way we knew them, but no one likes those figures anyway.<

Not entirely true - some of us quite like Hello-and-goodbye setting.

Wouter Joubert
Pretoria Suid-Afrika

Quick time Poussette (was Change in the Modern World)

Message 58833 · Lee Fuell · 1 Jun 2010 13:58:38 · Top

I believe Anselm was being sarcastic, regarding a recent debate on the list about old standard figures and their disappearance from some programs.

Lee

Beavercreek, OH, USA