strathspey Archive: Need help with

Need help with

Message 58770 · Thomas G. Mungall, III · 23 May 2010 21:18:27 · Top

I need help identifying some dances...
Can someone tell me what these dances are titled:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njjaCp5DmVg&feature=related

Tom Mungall
Baton Rouge, La, USA

Need help with

Message 58771 · mlamontbrown · 23 May 2010 21:31:36 · Top

Belle of Bon Accord, Bees of Maggieknockater, Dream Catcher, Dancing Master

Malcolm

Malcolm L Brown
York (UK)

Need help with

Message 58775 · Thomas G. Mungall, III · 24 May 2010 02:59:57 · Top

Many thanks!

Tom
> Belle of Bon Accord, Bees of Maggieknockater, Dream Catcher, Dancing
> Master
>
> Malcolm
>
> Malcolm L Brown
> York (UK)

13:26:00

Need help with

Message 58776 · Bruce Herbold · 24 May 2010 04:04:40 · Top

now can you tell me why in the name of everything holy they used
Orange and Blue as the tune for Belle of Bon Accord?? !!

Bruce Herbold
San Francisco

--
Bruce Herbold

Need help with

Message 58777 · Brian Charlton · 24 May 2010 05:49:25 · Top

Hello,

Probably because they didn't know the correct tune!

Brian Charlton,
Sydney, Australia

On 24 May 2010 12:04, Bruce Herbold <bherbold@gmail.com> wrote:

> now can you tell me why in the name of everything holy they used
> Orange and Blue as the tune for Belle of Bon Accord?? !!
>
> Bruce Herbold
> San Francisco
>

> On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 5:59 PM, Thomas G. Mungall, III
> <atheling@cox.net> wrote:
> > Many thanks!
> >
> > Tom
> > ----- Original Message ----- From: "mlamontbrown"
> > <mlamontbrown@btopenworld.com>

Need help with

Message 58778 · RODERICK JOHNSTON · 24 May 2010 15:25:09 · Top

As a musician, I'm sorry but I'm getting on my High Horse again.

I'm not saying that this is the case in this instance but, as a musician, it is very difficult sometimes to put together sets of tunes for dances if insufficient time is given, especially if you want the original tune.    The night before or even a couple of nights before is not enough time to put together a dance set, let alone several and then practice so that they are good enough for a performance.  Unless perhaps if you are retired or a professional musician.    Not all of us are George Meikles' , Muriel Johnstons and the like who have years of experience and have 100s of sets prepared and practiced.    As you may gather this is a gripe of mine.

A......   this is not a dig at you if you read this.

Roddy

________________________________
Probably because they didn't know the correct tune!

Brian Charlton,
Sydney, Australia

On 24 May 2010 12:04, Bruce Herbold <bherbold@gmail.com> wrote:

> now can you tell me why in the name of everything holy they used
> Orange and Blue as the tune for Belle of Bon Accord??  !!
>
> Bruce Herbold
> San Francisco
>

> On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 5:59 PM, Thomas G. Mungall, III
> <atheling@cox.net> wrote:
> > Many thanks!
> >
> > Tom
> > ----- Original Message ----- From: "mlamontbrown"
> > <mlamontbrown@btopenworld.com>

Need help with

Message 58779 · Rebecca Sager · 24 May 2010 15:25:43 · Top

It's amazing how much the music IS the dance. It took me longer than it should have to recognize Belle of Bon Accord, especially as we had just danced the Ellwyn Strathspey on Saturday to that tune!

Becky Sager
Marietta GA USA
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about
learning how to dance in the rain." Marcy Shirley

--
Bruce Herbold

Need help with

Message 58780 · Rebecca Sager · 24 May 2010 15:36:04 · Top

Surely The Bonnie Lass of Bon Accord is not an obscure tune? I'd assume it would be in the repertoire of anyone playing for SCD, but I could be wrong. It disappointed me last year in Florida when we had to dance Montgomeries' Rant and Bratach Bana to generic reel sets. That was with a Scottish musician, admittedly more of a ceilidh player but one who had played for SCD a lot.

From: Roderick Johnston <roderick.johnston@btopenworld.com>
To: strathspey@strathspey.org
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 06:25:09 -0700 (PDT)

As a musician, I'm sorry but I'm getting on my High Horse again.

I'm not saying that this is the case in this instance but, as a musician, it is very
difficult sometimes to put together sets of tunes for dances if insufficient time is
given, especially if you want the original tune. The night before or even a couple of
nights before is not enough time to put together a dance set, let alone several and then
practice so that they are good enough for a performance. Unless perhaps if you are
retired or a professional musician. Not all of us are George Meikles' , Muriel
Johnstons and the like who have years of experience and have 100s of sets prepared
and practiced. As you may gather this is a gripe of mine.

A...... this is not a dig at you if you read this.

Roddy

Need help with

Message 58781 · Steve Wyrick · 24 May 2010 16:51:45 · Top

Maybe they just didn't like it! In my opinion Bonnie Lass sounds dirge-like
when played at RSCDS tempo (Skinner himself played it much quicker) and I'd
much rather play a true strathspey given the opportunity. -Steve

--
Steve Wyrick -- Walnut Creek, California

Need help with

Message 58782 · Mike Briggs · 24 May 2010 17:49:21 · Top

I agree that Bonnie Lass of B A can sound dirge-like at RSCDS tempo (one good reason for hating St John River), but who am I as a musician to substitute tune B for tune A when the dance deviser calls for tune A?

Mike Briggs

1519 Storytown Road
Oregon WI 53711-1925 USA
+1 608 835 0914 (voice)
+1 608 237 2379 (fax)

Need help with

Message 58783 · Steve Wyrick · 24 May 2010 18:18:07 · Top

Yeah, in this case it would be hard to substitute for such a well-known
dance although if the dance organizers asked me to play something else I'd
be happy to. I try to use the specified tunes whenever possible but
sometimes wonder what the deviser was thinking. I'm actually more rigorous
in tracking down and using named tunes than a lot of musicians I play with
but I'll substitute in situations where I think it doesn't much matter,
usually in classes or minor events when either the name tune's obscure and I
can't get a copy, or there's a playability issue with the tune or I have too
short notice to prepare a set. We've also done performances where the set
arrangers wanted something other than the named tune and I don't have an
issue with that. But I guess I wouldn't substitute just because a tune
offends my sensibilities! -Steve

--
Steve Wyrick -- Walnut Creek, California

Pet music peeves (was Need help with)

Message 58786 · Mike Briggs · 24 May 2010 18:43:36 · Top

And while we're on this subject (now, pet music peeves) -- devisers, just tell me the name of the tune you want for the lead. If you tell me that the music you want is such-and-such a dance played by such-and-such a band, that leaves me with the task of figuring out the lead tune (actually, with DanceData not a huge problem. Gripe over. Out.)

Mike Briggs

1519 Storytown Road
Oregon WI 53711-1925 USA
+1 608 835 0914 (voice)
+1 608 237 2379 (fax)

Pet music peeves (was Need help with)

Message 58787 · Bruce Herbold · 24 May 2010 18:57:10 · Top

well, since I seem to have started this series of rants -- I was
commenting on using a totally different tune for a well-known dance
with a distinctinvee tune. It may even have been that there was no
band at all and the party was using a poorly chosen CD.

But if it was a band, if the program devisor (or the dance devisor)
didn't know or share the tune name a reference to a recording, or a
quick check of recordings could at least get the right flavor of tune
--

Bruce Herbold
San Francisco

--
Bruce Herbold

Pet music peeves (was Need help with)

Message 58788 · mlamontbrown · 24 May 2010 19:22:22 · Top

I'm pretty sure they were using CDs - and finding one which has the right number of
bars is sometimes more important than using the right tune! (At least they got the
right track for Dream Catcher)

Malcolm

Malcolm L Brown
York (UK)

Need help with

Message 58784 · smiskoe · 24 May 2010 18:33:23 · Top

I am sometimes at a loss as to why a particular tune is requested when it
does not seem to fit, or it is playable only by the most talented musicians.
One cannot always ask the devisor, either.
Sylvia Miskoe, Concord, NH USA