strathspey Archive: Lady Catherine Bruce's Reel (not jig) Urgent help

Lady Catherine Bruce's Reel (not jig) Urgent help

Message 58731 · RODERICK JOHNSTON · 17 May 2010 20:51:40 · Top

I have been asked to play the above REEL for a class on Wednesday night.  I can find no reference to a reel of that name only a jig.  The dance tutor says there is a reel of that name as well as the jig.   Does anyone know what the set tune should be.

Rod,
Fort William

Lady Catherine Bruce's Reel (not jig) Urgent help

Message 58732 · Rod Downey · 17 May 2010 20:54:18 · Top

lady catherine bruce's reel is a jig from the graded book. Here reel is
what old dances used to be called. The tune ytou have found is surely the
correct one.

rod

On Mon, 17 May 2010, Roderick Johnston wrote:

> Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 18:51:40 +0000 (GMT)
> From: Roderick Johnston <roderick.johnston@btopenworld.com>
> To: SCD news and discussion <strathspey@strathspey.org>
> Subject: Lady Catherine Bruce's Reel (not jig) Urgent help
>
> I have been asked to play the above REEL for a class on Wednesday night.  I can find no reference to a reel of that name only a jig.  The dance tutor says there is a reel of that name as well as the jig.   Does anyone know what the set tune should be.

Rod,
Fort William

Lady Catherine Bruce's Reel (not jig) Urgent help

Message 58734 · Steve Wyrick · 17 May 2010 21:02:24 · Top

Agree with Rod; definitely a jig; "Laird of Cockpen" is the suggested tune.
If someone INSISTS it's a reel not a jig, just play a generic; they'll never
know... -Steve

--
Steve Wyrick -- Walnut Creek, California

Lady Catherine Bruce's Reel (not jig) Urgent help

Message 58735 · Chris & Linda Gaul · 17 May 2010 21:02:47 · Top

There is also a Lady C Bruce's Reel (which is a reel)in the Miscellany.

Can't help with the tune at the moment.

Linda
Pitlochry, Scotland

Message 58736 · Volleyballjerry · 17 May 2010 21:04:19 · Top

As far as I have ever known, the dance title is an anomaly, and it simply
is a jig. The jig is certainly...I think... the more commonly known and
danced. I have however just checked DanceData and find a "Lady C. Bruce's
Reel that is a reel," presumably by that title (with the "C" initial), found
in Miss Milligan's Micellany #1. I can't help you with the music alas, but
you likely should make certain whether it is Lady Catherine Bruce's Reel
(the well-known jig) or Lady C. Bruce's Reel from MMM1 that is to be danced.

Robb Quint
Thousand Oaks, CA, USA

In a message dated 5/17/2010 11:52:14 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
roderick.johnston@btopenworld.com writes:

I have been asked to play the above REEL for a class on Wednesday night.
I can find no reference to a reel of that name only a jig. The dance
tutor says there is a reel of that name as well as the jig. Does anyone know
what the set tune should be.

Rod,
Fort William

Lady Catherine Bruce's Reel (not jig) Urgent help

Message 58733 · Jock McVlug · 17 May 2010 20:58:53 · Top

From: "Chris Ronald" <cjr878@gmail.com>
> Here you are Tom. This is from Minicrib. The dance you know is the first
> one.
>
> Chris, New York.
>

> LADY CATHERINE BRUCE'S REEL (J8x32) 2C (4C set)
> Bk of Graded SCDs
>
> 1- 8 1s lead down the middle & back to top
>
> 9-16 1s+2s dance Allemande
>
> 17-24 1s dance full Fig of 8 round 2s
>
> 25-32 2s+1s circle 4H round & back
>

> LADY C BRUCE'S REEL (R8x32) 3C (4C set)
> MMM 1
>
> 1- 8 1s dance Fig of 8 on own sides round 2s+3s dancing between 2s
> to start
>
> 9-16 1s+2s+3s circle 6H round & back
>
> 17-24 1s+2s+3s Promenade & end with 1s+2s in centre for Allemande
>
> 25-32 1s+2s dance Allemande

Lady Catherine Bruce's Reel

Message 58763 · Rod Downey · 19 May 2010 23:27:00 · Top

I would use neither as a first dance of the night (especially at
a ball or the like) as they
both have circles. I try to have a dance that has only skip change
or at worst a couple of bars of easy pbb.

rod