strathspey Archive: Dances for five dancers

Dances for five dancers

Message 58711 · Christina Reiß · 15 May 2010 09:12:55 · Top

Hello out there! :-)

We have founded a new group and aren't that many dancers so far. While
looking for new ones, I'd not like to skip classes every week,
therefore I'm looking for dances for 5 single dancers or 2 couples + 1
single, or whatever combination of 5 people comes along the way. We
have danced Domino Five and some dances that are handed around
inofficially, but now we're running out of them. Could anybody help
out? The problem is that we ARE 8 (in theory), but as it goes, one
person has another appointment, the next calls in sick - and suddenly
we're five AGAIN.

The dancers in the group are all more or less intermediate (or at
least we have no total beginners around right now).

Would love to hear some suggestions! How do others cope with the
problem?

I hope you're enjoying your day!

Christina

Dances for five dancers

Message 58714 · Pia Walker · 15 May 2010 11:32:36 · Top

where are you based? - I can see it is Germany, but where?

Pia

[...]

Message 58715 · Christina Reiß · 15 May 2010 11:37:03 · Top

The very North-West - Emden. (You can 'visit' us at scd-
emden.wordpress.com)

Am 15.05.2010 um 11:32 schrieb Pia:

> where are you based? - I can see it is Germany, but where?
>
> Pia

Dances for five dancers

Message 58718 · Christina Reiß · 15 May 2010 15:04:55 · Top

Sorry, that should be scdemden.wordpress.com. :-)

Am 15.05.2010 um 11:37 schrieb Christina Reiß:

> The very North-West - Emden. (You can 'visit' us at scd-
> emden.wordpress.com)
>

> Am 15.05.2010 um 11:32 schrieb Pia:
>
>> where are you based? - I can see it is Germany, but where?
>>
>> Pia

Dances for five dancers

Message 58754 · Andrew Buxton · 18 May 2010 15:07:44 · Top

It's usually solved by the teacher/MC coming in to make 6 (if the five excludes him/her) or else they dance "with a ghost".

Andrew

-----

Andrew Buxton

Lewes, East Sussex, UK

[...]

Message 58716 · Bruce Herbold · 15 May 2010 11:58:49 · Top

there are three books of dances from the Santa Fe, New Mexico USA
class which apparently has much the same problem. They are called
Just Enough to Dance, Still Enough to Dance and Always enough to
dance. They are worth orderingand can be ordered directly from:
Jane Lataille
2420 Canyon Glen
Los Alamos NM 87544 USA

and questions can be answered by Deborah Dennison at d.a.i.d (at)
worldnet.att.net

In those books they cite other 3 4 and 5 person dances in SCD style including
Ellen's Request in the New Haven Book
Herself by Elizabeth Barnes in Kaliedoscope
and Take Five by Martha Varanth in the Four Corners Dance Book

hope that helps

Bruce Herbold
San Francisco

--
Bruce Herbold

Dances for five dancers

Message 58717 · Elissa Hock · 15 May 2010 14:17:30 · Top

Cleveland Heights SCD Group put together a book about 3 years ago called "Just a Few Dances for Just a Few Dancers".

It can be ordered by contacting Diane Klann, teacher at 216 932-9038.

Elissa Hock
Akron, OH

--
Bruce Herbold

Dances for five dancers

Message 58719 · Noel Chavez · 15 May 2010 17:54:51 · Top

There is also Just Enough to Dance by Donald Karwelis (I purchased mine
from TACBooks). Noel Chavez, Chicago