strathspey Archive: Camp (coffee)

Camp (coffee)

Message 58616 · Mike Briggs · 6 May 2010 03:10:00 · Top

This is off-topic, but I thought others might be curious. I have fond memories of Camp Coffee. During WWII my parents ran a small cafe in England, and Camp was what they used to make coffee for the customers.

Still on the market, apparently, but it's been run through the p.c. mill according to Wikipedia:

"The label is rather old-fashioned in tone, consisting of a drawing of a Gordon Highlander soldier (allegedly Major General Sir Hector Macdonald) and a Sikh soldier sitting down together outside a tent, from which flies a flag carrying the drink's slogan, "Ready Aye Ready". This slogan uses the form of the
Scots "aye" meaning "always" so the drink was "Ready Always Ready" to be made. Originally the picture depicted the Sikh as carrying a tray of coffee -- an intermediate version, with the Sikh standing but the tray missing was also used (see the fan site link below for this version of the label) -- it is widely believed that this was changed to avoid the imperialist connotations of the Sikh as a servant, although the company does not confirm or deny this.[3][4] The original drawing was by William Victor Wrigglesworth."

Other websites describe it as "glutinous" or as "Scottish goo," so perhaps this isn't so far off-topic (we have after all been talking about camp in SCD.

Check Uncyclopedia for pix of the original and current labels (the current one slightly amended by the author of the website).

Mike

Briggs Law Office
1519 Storytown Road
Oregon WI 53711-1925 USA
+1 608 835 0914 (voice)
+1 608 237 2379 (fax)

Camp (coffee)

Message 58619 · Moira Theriault · 6 May 2010 05:10:35 · Top

I grew up in Scotland, not on tea, which my mother drank in abundance, but
Camp Coffee, which I thought was coffee but was, in fact, chicory essence.
I vividly remember the Indian Sikh standing beside the soldier, holding a
tray. I used to gaze at the label often as a young girl because the soldier
was the spitting image of a young policeman that my Perthshire policeman
father worked with and I had a crush on. The present soldier has lost those
good looks :)
Here is the article in tomorrow's (Thursday)Daily Mail:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-404516/Camp-coffee-forced-change-lab
el-PC-brigade.html

Moira Theriault
Colorado Springs, USA

[...]

Database version: 6.14930

Database version: 6.14930

Camp (coffee)

Message 58620 · Angus Henry · 6 May 2010 05:19:43 · Top

Horrible to drink, but delicious and better than the real thing as a "coffee" flavouring for baking, home made ice cream etc

Angus

Angus & Puka Henry
DARWIN, AUSTRALIA
Website: <http://www.users.on.net/~anguka/>