strathspey Archive: First post

Previous thread: Hill Manuscript
Next thread: RSCDS Magazine (was Re: First post)

First post

Message 58529 · Hamish Dewar · 2 May 2010 15:44:41 · Top

Anselm,
Is this really the way strathspey.org works?
As I understand it, in order to contribute anything to the discussion threads, I have to send an email to all registered members.
And I have to receive individual emails when any other registered member posts a comment.

I have probably got this wrong, in which case many apologies to you and other subscribers.
May I just say, I have not wittingly incorporated any other messages into this post.

In the meantime, please would those who have received their copy of RSCDS Scottish Dancer stop teasing the rest of us? As a fully paid up member, I still haven't received my copy.
I guess that the references to Red and Blue are political. Perhaps the Society has come out in favour of Scottish independence. Do tell.

Hamish.

First post

Message 58530 · Martin Campoveja · 2 May 2010 15:54:03 · Top

The only unusual thing I noticed in the latest magazine (received in France,
although I am no longer a member!)
was the cover picture of a bunch of soldiers practising some kind of
wrestling. No kilts, no musicians, some onlookers.

Martin

First post

Message 58531 · Mike Briggs · 2 May 2010 16:55:47 · Top

Finally got my magazine yesterday, and I still have no idea what was in Andrea's mind.

Mike


Briggs Law Office
1519 Storytown Road
Oregon WI 53711-1925 USA
+1 608 835 0914 (voice)
+1 608 237 2379 (fax)

________________________________
From: Martin Sheffield <francoscot@gmail.com>
To: strathspey@strathspey.org
Sent: Sun, May 2, 2010 8:54:03 AM
Subject: Re: First post

The only unusual thing I noticed in the latest magazine (received in France,
although I am no longer a member!)
was the cover picture of a bunch of soldiers practising some kind of
wrestling. No kilts, no musicians, some onlookers.

Martin

First post

Message 58532 · Agnes MacMichael · 2 May 2010 17:00:28 · Top

I know what was on his mind, but did not think it was necessary. I think
the front page is self explanatory! But then if you are still not sure, I
am certain all will be clear when you read the article inside.
Agnes
West Lothian

On 2 May 2010 15:55, Norma or Mike Briggs <briggslaw@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Finally got my magazine yesterday, and I still have no idea what was in
> Andrea's mind.
>
> Mike
>
>
> Briggs Law Office
> 1519 Storytown Road
> Oregon WI 53711-1925 USA
> +1 608 835 0914 (voice)
> +1 608 237 2379 (fax)
>
>
>
>
>
>
> ________________________________
> From: Martin Sheffield <francoscot@gmail.com>
> To: strathspey@strathspey.org
> Sent: Sun, May 2, 2010 8:54:03 AM
> Subject: Re: First post
>
> The only unusual thing I noticed in the latest magazine (received in
> France,
> although I am no longer a member!)
> was the cover picture of a bunch of soldiers practising some kind of
> wrestling. No kilts, no musicians, some onlookers.
>
> Martin
>

First post

Message 58538 · Mike Briggs · 2 May 2010 19:22:29 · Top

Sorry, I must be denser than usual today. Looked at the cover, read the article -- still no blinding light. Agnes, if you know what was in Andrea's mind that he won't reveal, would you please do so? Or -- Andrea -- please come clean?

Mike


Briggs Law Office
1519 Storytown Road
Oregon WI 53711-1925 USA
+1 608 835 0914 (voice)
+1 608 237 2379 (fax)

________________________________
From: Agnes Macmichael <agnes.macmichael@sky.com>
To: strathspey@strathspey.org
Sent: Sun, May 2, 2010 10:00:28 AM
Subject: Re: First post

I know what was on his mind, but did not think it was necessary. I think
the front page is self explanatory! But then if you are still not sure, I
am certain all will be clear when you read the article inside.
Agnes
West Lothian

On 2 May 2010 15:55, Norma or Mike Briggs <briggslaw@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Finally got my magazine yesterday, and I still have no idea what was in
> Andrea's mind.
>
> Mike
>
>
> Briggs Law Office
> 1519 Storytown Road
> Oregon WI 53711-1925 USA
> +1 608 835 0914 (voice)
> +1 608 237 2379 (fax)
>
>
>
>
>
>
> ________________________________
> From: Martin Sheffield <francoscot@gmail.com>
> To: strathspey@strathspey.org
> Sent: Sun, May 2, 2010 8:54:03 AM
> Subject: Re: First post
>
> The only unusual thing I noticed in the latest magazine (received in
> France,
> although I am no longer a member!)
> was the cover picture of a bunch of soldiers practising some kind of
> wrestling. No kilts, no musicians, some onlookers.
>
> Martin
>

First post

Message 58542 · Hamish Dewar · 3 May 2010 15:20:47 · Top

Anselm,
The answer to my first question appears to be Yes.
All credit to everything you have done in setting up and sustaining this
website.
But it is now outmoded to the point of being antediluvian.
I'm out of here -- searching for the Unsubscribe button.
Hamish.

Antediluvian?

Message 58543 · Anselm Lingnau · 3 May 2010 15:57:11 · Top

Hamish Dewar wrote:

> The answer to my first question appears to be Yes.

This is what is called a »mailing list«. The concept has been around for a
while (longer than the Web, in fact). In the specific case of Strathspey,
nobody else has seen fit to complain for the last 17 years or so, so it seems
to work at least for the current readership.

> But it is now outmoded to the point of being antediluvian.

This of course raises the question of what you would rather see, and why you
think whatever-that-is would be superior. I'm always on the lookout for new
ideas so it would be great if you could be more specific. Thank you for any
insights that you could contribute (either by private mail or on the list).

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Friedberg, Germany ..................... anselm@strathspey.org
People act on fear a lot, and in fear there may be a financial impact. We
don't want people going and buying generators when they should be out buying
jeans.
-- Director of the Year-2000 project for Levi Strauss, quoted by *Infoworld*

First post

Message 58544 · Martin Campoveja · 3 May 2010 18:00:07 · Top

2010/5/3 Hamish Dewar wrote :
>
>
> But it is now outmoded to the point of being antediluvian.
>
>
Appropriate for the greying SCD population, apparently.

Anyway, it suits me. I find the mailing list far easier to use than bulletin
boards, forums etc, where you have to wade through pages of stuff you may
have read already to find anything new.

So ... don't change anything, Anselm !

Martin

First post

Message 58545 · Patricia Ruggiero · 3 May 2010 18:07:52 · Top

This antediluvian agrees completely.

Pat
Charlottesville, Virginia
USA

> Anyway, it suits me. I find the mailing list far easier to use than
> bulletin
> boards, forums etc, where you have to wade through pages of stuff you may
> have read already to find anything new.
>
> So ... don't change anything, Anselm !
>
> Martin

First post

Message 58546 · Marie Disiewicz · 3 May 2010 19:41:23 · Top

Anselm, Please do not change this "best read in town" mailing list.
You cannot change perfection.
Where else on the internet can we keep up with what our friends are doing in
the SCD World???
Easy to access and best of all no pop up sales promos of things we have
absolutely no use or interest in.
I second Martin's suggestion!!!!
Marie
Surrey B.C.
Canada
--------------------------------------------------
From: "Martin Sheffield" <francoscot@gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, May 03, 2010 9:00 AM
To: <strathspey@strathspey.org>
Subject: Re: First post

> 2010/5/3 Hamish Dewar wrote :
>>
>>
>> But it is now outmoded to the point of being antediluvian.
>>
>>
> Appropriate for the greying SCD population, apparently.
>
> Anyway, it suits me. I find the mailing list far easier to use than
> bulletin
> boards, forums etc, where you have to wade through pages of stuff you may
> have read already to find anything new.
>
> So ... don't change anything, Anselm !
>
> Martin
>
>

First post

Message 58547 · Pia Walker · 3 May 2010 19:51:36 · Top

Yes and there are no flashing banner adverts - Yihaa

Pia

-----Original Message-----
From: Martin Sheffield [mailto:francoscot@gmail.com]
Sent: 03 May 2010 17:00
To: strathspey@strathspey.org
Subject: Re: First post

2010/5/3 Hamish Dewar wrote :
>
>
> But it is now outmoded to the point of being antediluvian.
>
>
Appropriate for the greying SCD population, apparently.

Anyway, it suits me. I find the mailing list far easier to use than bulletin
boards, forums etc, where you have to wade through pages of stuff you may
have read already to find anything new.

So ... don't change anything, Anselm !

Martin

First post

Message 58548 · Mike Briggs · 3 May 2010 20:09:59 · Top

If it ain't broke don't fix it. (US proverb)


Briggs Law Office
1519 Storytown Road
Oregon WI 53711-1925 USA
+1 608 835 0914 (voice)
+1 608 237 2379 (fax)

________________________________
From: Pia <pia@intamail.com>
To: strathspey@strathspey.org
Sent: Mon, May 3, 2010 12:51:36 PM
Subject: RE: First post

Yes and there are no flashing banner adverts - Yihaa

Pia

-----Original Message-----
From: Martin Sheffield [mailto:francoscot@gmail.com]
Sent: 03 May 2010 17:00
To: strathspey@strathspey.org
Subject: Re: First post

2010/5/3 Hamish Dewar wrote :
>
>
> But it is now outmoded to the point of being antediluvian.
>
>
Appropriate for the greying SCD population, apparently.

Anyway, it suits me. I find the mailing list far easier to use than bulletin
boards, forums etc, where you have to wade through pages of stuff you may
have read already to find anything new.

So ... don't change anything, Anselm !

Martin

First post

Message 58549 · Lee Fuell · 3 May 2010 22:58:39 · Top

Thanks to Hamish, I learned something knew today - had to pop over to dictionary.com and look up "antediluvian."

Anselm, is your middle name Noah? ;-)

Lee

Beavercreek, OH, USA

-----Original Message-----
>From: Norma or Mike Briggs <briggslaw@yahoo.com>
>Sent: May 3, 2010 2:09 PM
>To: strathspey@strathspey.org
>Subject: Re: First post
>
>If it ain't broke don't fix it. (US proverb)
>
>
>Briggs Law Office
>1519 Storytown Road
>Oregon WI 53711-1925 USA
>+1 608 835 0914 (voice)
>+1 608 237 2379 (fax)
>
>
>
>
>
>
>________________________________
>From: Pia <pia@intamail.com>
>To: strathspey@strathspey.org
>Sent: Mon, May 3, 2010 12:51:36 PM
>Subject: RE: First post
>
>Yes and there are no flashing banner adverts - Yihaa
>
>Pia
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: Martin Sheffield [mailto:francoscot@gmail.com]
>Sent: 03 May 2010 17:00
>To: strathspey@strathspey.org
>Subject: Re: First post
>
>
>2010/5/3 Hamish Dewar wrote :
>>
>>
>> But it is now outmoded to the point of being antediluvian.
>>
>>
>Appropriate for the greying SCD population, apparently.
>
>Anyway, it suits me. I find the mailing list far easier to use than bulletin
>boards, forums etc, where you have to wade through pages of stuff you may
>have read already to find anything new.
>
>So ... don't change anything, Anselm !
>
>Martin

First post

Message 58550 · Pia Walker · 3 May 2010 23:01:17 · Top

Methusalah :>)_

Eve
Cupar

-----Original Message-----
From: Lee Fuell [mailto:fuell@mindspring.com]
Sent: 03 May 2010 21:59
To: strathspey@strathspey.org
Subject: Re: First post

Thanks to Hamish, I learned something knew today - had to pop over to dictionary.com and look up "antediluvian."

Anselm, is your middle name Noah? ;-)

Lee

Beavercreek, OH, USA

-----Original Message-----
>From: Norma or Mike Briggs <briggslaw@yahoo.com>
>Sent: May 3, 2010 2:09 PM
>To: strathspey@strathspey.org
>Subject: Re: First post
>
>If it ain't broke don't fix it. (US proverb)
>
>
>Briggs Law Office
>1519 Storytown Road
>Oregon WI 53711-1925 USA
>+1 608 835 0914 (voice)
>+1 608 237 2379 (fax)
>
>
>
>
>
>
>________________________________
>From: Pia <pia@intamail.com>
>To: strathspey@strathspey.org
>Sent: Mon, May 3, 2010 12:51:36 PM
>Subject: RE: First post
>
>Yes and there are no flashing banner adverts - Yihaa
>
>Pia
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: Martin Sheffield [mailto:francoscot@gmail.com]
>Sent: 03 May 2010 17:00
>To: strathspey@strathspey.org
>Subject: Re: First post
>
>
>2010/5/3 Hamish Dewar wrote :
>>
>>
>> But it is now outmoded to the point of being antediluvian.
>>
>>
>Appropriate for the greying SCD population, apparently.
>
>Anyway, it suits me. I find the mailing list far easier to use than bulletin
>boards, forums etc, where you have to wade through pages of stuff you may
>have read already to find anything new.
>
>So ... don't change anything, Anselm !
>
>Martin

First post

Message 58556 · Harris, Terry Lynne · 4 May 2010 09:37:25 · Top

This message (and attachments) is subject to restrictions and a disclaimer. Please refer to http://www.unisa.ac.za/disclaimer for full details.

And appropriate for the not-so-greying population too. For this member of it anyway.

In my job I need to work with assorted web-based format stuff. Some of it's great, some of it drives me nuts. When it comes to the Strathspey list, I'm only too grateful to have it in its present form. It's quick, easy and with all the other advantages that others have already listed. I'm all for the latest technology, but it's not automatically appropriate to every situation. So, thanks Anselm!

Terry Lynne Harris
Pretoria
South Africa

-----Original Message-----
From: Martin Sheffield [mailto:francoscot@gmail.com]
Sent: 03 May 2010 06:00 PM
To: strathspey@strathspey.org
Subject: Re: First post

2010/5/3 Hamish Dewar wrote :
>
> But it is now outmoded to the point of being antediluvian.
>

Appropriate for the greying SCD population, apparently.

Anyway, it suits me. I find the mailing list far easier to use than bulletin boards, forums etc, where you have to wade through pages of stuff you may have read already to find anything new.

So ... don't change anything, Anselm !

Martin

First post

Message 58557 · RODERICK JOHNSTON · 4 May 2010 11:35:42 · Top

I agree whole heartedy with this last post. It servers it's purpose well.

Keep it simple.  

Rod
Fort William

________________________________
From: "Harris, Terry Lynne" <Harritl@unisa.ac.za>
To: "strathspey@strathspey.org" <strathspey@strathspey.org>
Sent: Tuesday, 4 May, 2010 8:37:25
Subject: RE: First post

This message (and attachments) is subject to restrictions and a disclaimer. Please refer to http://www.unisa.ac.za/disclaimer for full details.

And appropriate for the not-so-greying population too. For this member of it anyway.

In my job I need to work with assorted web-based format stuff. Some of it's great, some of it drives me nuts. When it comes to the Strathspey list, I'm only too grateful to have it in its present form. It's quick, easy and with all the other advantages that others have already listed. I'm all for the latest technology, but it's not automatically appropriate to every situation. So, thanks Anselm!

Terry Lynne Harris
Pretoria
South Africa

-----Original Message-----
From: Martin Sheffield [mailto:francoscot@gmail.com]
Sent: 03 May 2010 06:00 PM
To: strathspey@strathspey.org
Subject: Re: First post

2010/5/3 Hamish Dewar wrote :
>
> But it is now outmoded to the point of being antediluvian.
>

Appropriate for the greying SCD population, apparently.

Anyway, it suits me. I find the mailing list far easier to use than bulletin boards, forums etc, where you have to wade through pages of stuff you may have read already to find anything new.

So ... don't change anything, Anselm !

Martin

Antediluvian?

Message 58551 · John Chambers · 3 May 2010 21:46:30 · Top

Anselm Lingnau wrote:
| Hamish Dewar wrote:
|
| > The answer to my first question appears to be Yes.
|
| This is what is called a \xbbmailing list\xab. The concept has been around for a
| while (longer than the Web, in fact). In the specific case of Strathspey,
| nobody else has seen fit to complain for the last 17 years or so, so it seems
| to work at least for the current readership.
|
| > But it is now outmoded to the point of being antediluvian.
|
| This of course raises the question of what you would rather see, and why you
| think whatever-that-is would be superior. I'm always on the lookout for new
| ideas so it would be great if you could be more specific. Thank you for any
| insights that you could contribute (either by private mail or on the list).

Recently, I've seen a number of discussions of the claims being made
that the Web has transcended all sorts of earlier technology, in
particular making mailing lists and usenet newsgroups obsolete.
Generally, such claims are quickly debunked by arguments similar to
what several people here have hinted at.

The main counter-argument is that Web-based discussions have one
major failing. They all present a different UI (User Interface) to
the reader. So if you're trying to follow several different
discussions, you usually have to learn a new interface for every one
of them, and try to keep them separate in your mind. It's true that
there are a number of packages that several sites use, but there are
so many such packages that it doesn't simplify the learning task. Web
forums are only easy for someone following a single site's forums.

Email and usenet, on the other hand, are both based on the idea of
sending out messages in a standard format, to be interpreted by each
reader's local mail and/or news software. This means that you or I
can pick a "reader" package that we like, and use it to read
everything. Some of these readers have become rather sophisticated,
and are often much better at their job than almost all web-based
discussion software. But this isn't what's important. The main thing
is that you need to learn only one UI, which works for all the lists
that you subscribe to.

There are a number of other advantages to a mailing list. One is that
it's easy for the average user to collect all the traffic for a list
that they're interested in. Doing this with a Web-based discussion is
usually something for an expert programmer, when it is even possible.
But your email software almost certainly has a simply way of creating
a local "folder" for strathspey or any other list, and filing any
interesting message there with a simple command. I don't know what it
would be for your mail reader. But I don't have to; I need only know
how to do it with my mail reader. The important thing is that this
works the same for every mailing list that you're on; you don't have
to learn a new "save this message" command, as you would with most
Web-based discussions.

There are some good reasons that some discussions and forums are Web
based. And for someone following only one or two discussions,
learning a Web interface isn't that big a deal. But more often, a
mailing list like this is much easier for the majority of its
subscribers, who may subscribe to 5 or 10 discussions. The Web
programmers haven't yet figured out any way to make all of their
forums work the same for a single user. This is because the Web
developers don't much talk to each other. Each team is separately
building an interface that will solve all the world's problems (and
is different from every other web site).

Anyway, the claim that email is obsolete is popular among Web pundits
right now. We just saw one of them here. There are many reasons why
they're wrong. We should just ignore them, and continue to use this
list.

(Though if Anselm decided to experiment with a Web interface to this
list, in his copious spare time, I'm sure that a lot of us would give
it a try. And most of us would probably go back to the mailing list,
on the grounds that it's easier for most of us to use, because we
already know how to use our mail readers. And some of us wouldn't try
it at all, because we don't have the time to learn yet another
complex Web user interface that only works for this one discussion.)

--
_'
O
<:#/> John Chambers
+ <jc@trillian.mit.edu>
/#\ <jc1742@gmail.com>
| |

Antediluvian?

Message 58553 · Susan McKinnell · 4 May 2010 02:18:50 · Top

Very well spoken. I agree totally. I much prefer this format as it is
what works for me. Please don't change anything.
Sue (Chicago, USA)

John Chambers wrote:
> ... But more often, a
> mailing list like this is much easier for the majority of its
> subscribers, who may subscribe to 5 or 10 discussions. The Web
> programmers haven't yet figured out any way to make all of their
> forums work the same for a single user. This is because the Web
> developers don't much talk to each other. Each team is separately
> building an interface that will solve all the world's problems (and
> is different from every other web site)....
>
>

--
Susan McKinnell luvscd@suedan.com http://suedan.com

"A house without a cat, and a well-fed, well-petted, and properly
revered cat, may be a perfect house, perhaps, but how can it prove
its title?"
- Mark Twain, The Tragedy of Pudd'nhead Wilson

Antediluvian?

Message 58554 · Patricia Ruggiero · 4 May 2010 04:53:50 · Top

John wrote:

> And some of us wouldn't try
> it at all, because we don't have the time to learn yet another
> complex Web user interface that only works for this one discussion

Oh, I'd say one can find the time if one wants to. What's really lacking is
the *desire* to spend one's time doing so. And I certainly don't have such
a desire. I'd rather watch bread dough rise or pull weeds.

Pat
Charlottesville, Virginia
USA

Antediluvian?

Message 58555 · Lee Fuell · 4 May 2010 05:25:17 · Top

Or something even less exciting - like watching golf on television.

Lee

-----Original Message-----
>From: Patricia Ruggiero <ruggierop@earthlink.net>
>Sent: May 3, 2010 10:53 PM
>To: strathspey@strathspey.org
>Subject: RE: Antediluvian? (was: First post)
>
>John wrote:
>
>> And some of us wouldn't try
>> it at all, because we don't have the time to learn yet another
>> complex Web user interface that only works for this one discussion
>
>Oh, I'd say one can find the time if one wants to. What's really lacking is
>the *desire* to spend one's time doing so. And I certainly don't have such
>a desire. I'd rather watch bread dough rise or pull weeds.
>
>
>Pat
>Charlottesville, Virginia
>USA
>

Previous thread: Hill Manuscript
Next thread: RSCDS Magazine (was Re: First post)
A Django site.