strathspey Archive: Copenhagen Weekend course - or Marion Young - where are you?

Previous thread: RSCDS - Strategic and Other Plans
Next thread: Online registrations

Copenhagen Weekend course - or Marion Young - where are you?

Message 58218 · Pia Walker · 8 Mar 2010 16:59:59 · Top

As a result of an advert in Celtic Circle in December, a Marion Young
requested more information, unfortunately Else who is one of the organisers
can't seem to get her e-mail to work - does anyone know how to contact
Marion Young?

For more information on this Weekend Course, where Fiona MacDonald from
Glasgow is the teacher and the musician is Robert MAcKay - please contact
Else directly.

Pia

Copenhagen Weekend course - or Marion Young - where are you?

Message 58219 · Agnes MacMichael · 8 Mar 2010 17:13:26 · Top

Reply sent privately
Agnes

On 8 March 2010 15:59, Pia <pia@intamail.com> wrote:

> As a result of an advert in Celtic Circle in December, a Marion Young
> requested more information, unfortunately Else who is one of the organisers
> can't seem to get her e-mail to work - does anyone know how to contact
> Marion Young?
>
> For more information on this Weekend Course, where Fiona MacDonald from
> Glasgow is the teacher and the musician is Robert MAcKay - please contact
> Else directly.
>
> Pia
>
>

Copenhagen Weekend course - or Marion Young - where are you?

Message 58220 · Anselm Lingnau · 8 Mar 2010 17:34:51 · Top

Pia wrote:

> As a result of an advert in Celtic Circle in December, a Marion Young
> requested more information, unfortunately Else who is one of the organisers
> can't seem to get her e-mail to work - does anyone know how to contact
> Marion Young?

If that is the Marion Young I know (a very nice lady from Fife), she somehow
got her mail provider to issue her an e-mail address that starts with a dash,
which is technically illegal (and mail providers are really supposed to know
that sort of thing). Whenever my wife or I want to send Marion e-mail, we need
to go through our ISP's mail server, because the mail server I operate myself
-- which handles Strathspey as well as most of our personal mail -- is an
upstanding netizen and won't traffick in illegal e-mail addresses as a matter
of principle.

You may want to write this down: An e-mail address must start with a letter or
a digit. Anything else is just asking for trouble.

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Friedberg, Germany ..................... anselm@strathspey.org
If someone claims to be avoiding complexity, check under his rug.-- Larry Wall

Copenhagen Weekend course - or Marion Young - where are you?

Message 58221 · Agnes MacMichael · 8 Mar 2010 17:55:45 · Top

That is the same Marion Young and I don't know about the legistics of her
email address. That is the one which I use. I can pass on information if
this is required and give an email address for her to contact if you wish.
Let me know where she should email and I will pass on.
Agnes
West Lothian

On 8 March 2010 16:34, Anselm Lingnau <anselm@strathspey.org> wrote:

> Pia wrote:
>
> > As a result of an advert in Celtic Circle in December, a Marion Young
> > requested more information, unfortunately Else who is one of the
> organisers
> > can't seem to get her e-mail to work - does anyone know how to contact
> > Marion Young?
>
> If that is the Marion Young I know (a very nice lady from Fife), she
> somehow
> got her mail provider to issue her an e-mail address that starts with a
> dash,
> which is technically illegal (and mail providers are really supposed to
> know
> that sort of thing). Whenever my wife or I want to send Marion e-mail, we
> need
> to go through our ISP's mail server, because the mail server I operate
> myself
> -- which handles Strathspey as well as most of our personal mail -- is an
> upstanding netizen and won't traffick in illegal e-mail addresses as a
> matter
> of principle.
>
> You may want to write this down: An e-mail address must start with a letter
> or
> a digit. Anything else is just asking for trouble.
>
> Anselm
> --
> Anselm Lingnau, Friedberg, Germany .....................
> anselm@strathspey.org
> If someone claims to be avoiding complexity, check under his rug.-- Larry
> Wall
>

Copenhagen Weekend course - or Marion Young - where are you?

Message 58223 · Alasdair Graham · 8 Mar 2010 20:52:02 · Top

Agnes,

I too correspond with Marion and have no problems with her email address.
Probably because I use Windows and Outlook software.
Those having difficulty, I suspect, use "open source" software which they
profess to be superior to Windows. I have my doubts!

Alasdair Graham
Dumbarton, Scotland.

-----Original Message-----
From: Agnes Macmichael [mailto:agnes.macmichael@sky.com]

That is the same Marion Young and I don't know about the legistics of her
email address. That is the one which I use. I can pass on information if
this is required and give an email address for her to contact if you wish.
Let me know where she should email and I will pass on.
Agnes
West Lothian

> Pia wrote:
>
> > As a result of an advert in Celtic Circle in December, a Marion Young
> > requested more information, unfortunately Else who is one of the
> organisers
> > can't seem to get her e-mail to work - does anyone know how to contact
> > Marion Young?
>
> If that is the Marion Young I know (a very nice lady from Fife), she
> somehow
> got her mail provider to issue her an e-mail address that starts with a
> dash,
> which is technically illegal (and mail providers are really supposed to
> know
> that sort of thing). Whenever my wife or I want to send Marion e-mail, we
> need
> to go through our ISP's mail server, because the mail server I operate
> myself
> -- which handles Strathspey as well as most of our personal mail -- is an
> upstanding netizen and won't traffick in illegal e-mail addresses as a
> matter
> of principle.
>
> You may want to write this down: An e-mail address must start with a
letter
> or
> a digit. Anything else is just asking for trouble.
>
> Anselm
> --
> Anselm Lingnau, Friedberg, Germany .....................
> anselm@strathspey.org
> If someone claims to be avoiding complexity, check under his rug.-- Larry
> Wall
>

Copenhagen Weekend course - or Marion Young - where are you?

Message 58226 · Anselm Lingnau · 8 Mar 2010 23:52:03 · Top

Alasdair Graham wrote:

> Those having difficulty, I suspect, use "open source" software which they
> profess to be superior to Windows. I have my doubts!

You don't want to go there. Microsoft is well-known for taking established
Internet standards and breaking them deliberately so while they profess to
follow the standard only Microsoft programs can actually talk to each other.
The sheer number of installed systems then lets them claim that *their* way is
the proper way, and that everybody else must be doing it wrong. This forces
smaller competitors out of the market. Microsoft calls this strategy »embrace,
extend and extinguish«, and there are various documented examples, e.g., in
Wikipedia.

Let's not forget that without the equivalent of open-source software, there
would be no Internet in the first place. You would all be stuck on Compuserve
and AOL, where every single e-mail message you sent would cost you ten cents
(or so). The open-source community, beginning with the Unix hackers of the
1970s and continuing from there, was instrumental in the development of the
underpinnings of today's Internet, its protocols and technology. It is safe to
say that if you took away all open-source software today the Internet would
simply stop dead in its tracks. (Most of that software does *not* have viable
equivalents out of Microsoft or other proprietary vendors.)

Incidentally Strathspey runs on 100% open-source software (Linux, Apache,
Django, Project Lancelot, ...), so we will have no gratuitious open-source
bashing on this list please. Don't shit where you eat :^)

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Friedberg, Germany ..................... anselm@strathspey.org
Anyway, a little bit of Unix mindset is good for any programmer's soul. And a
bit of education never hurt anyone. -- Tom Christiansen

Copenhagen Weekend course - or Marion Young - where are you?

Message 58230 · Pia Walker · 9 Mar 2010 09:23:22 · Top

Should this not have a new subject line :>)

Pia

-----Original Message-----
From: Anselm Lingnau [mailto:anselm@strathspey.org]
Sent: 08 March 2010 22:52
To: strathspey@strathspey.org
Subject: Re: Copenhagen Weekend course - or Marion Young - where are
you?

Alasdair Graham wrote:

> Those having difficulty, I suspect, use "open source" software which they
> profess to be superior to Windows. I have my doubts!

You don't want to go there. Microsoft is well-known for taking established
Internet standards and breaking them deliberately so while they profess to
follow the standard only Microsoft programs can actually talk to each other.
The sheer number of installed systems then lets them claim that *their* way
is
the proper way, and that everybody else must be doing it wrong. This forces
smaller competitors out of the market. Microsoft calls this
strategy »embrace,
extend and extinguish«, and there are various documented examples, e.g., in
Wikipedia.

Let's not forget that without the equivalent of open-source software, there
would be no Internet in the first place. You would all be stuck on
Compuserve
and AOL, where every single e-mail message you sent would cost you ten cents
(or so). The open-source community, beginning with the Unix hackers of the
1970s and continuing from there, was instrumental in the development of the
underpinnings of today's Internet, its protocols and technology. It is safe
to
say that if you took away all open-source software today the Internet would
simply stop dead in its tracks. (Most of that software does *not* have
viable
equivalents out of Microsoft or other proprietary vendors.)

Incidentally Strathspey runs on 100% open-source software (Linux, Apache,
Django, Project Lancelot, ...), so we will have no gratuitious open-source
bashing on this list please. Don't shit where you eat :^)

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Friedberg, Germany .....................
anselm@strathspey.org
Anyway, a little bit of Unix mindset is good for any programmer's soul. And
a
bit of education never hurt anyone. -- Tom
Christiansen

Gratuitious open-source bashing under a new subject line

Message 58233 · Anselm Lingnau · 9 Mar 2010 09:54:15 · Top

Pia wrote:

> Should this not have a new subject line :>)

I was sort of hoping that the »discussion« would stop at this point. Changing
the subject line would probably have encouraged more people to weigh in.

For the record, if you want to find out or argue about why open-source
software is superior to proprietary software in many ways (including but not
limited to the fact that it is better placed to ensure interoperability
between different programs by adhering to open, published standards while
purveyors of proprietary software have lots to gain by either coming up with
their own undocumented ideas or else bending the open, published standards out
of shape) there are many places on the Internet where you can do exactly that.
The Strathspey list, being dedicated to the discussion of Scottish country
dancing, is not intended to be such a place.

I do welcome and encourage discussion of (open-source or proprietary) computer
software that is helpful for purposes such as practising, teaching, or
improving SCD and/or SCD music but I don't think the readership is interested
in prolonged debate on the merits of different philosophies for developing and
publishing software. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Friedberg, Germany ..................... anselm@strathspey.org
Who dares to teach must never cease to learn.
-- John Cotton Dana, motto composed for Kean College, New Jersey

Gratuitious open-source bashing under a new subject line

Message 58245 · Steve Wyrick · 9 Mar 2010 16:45:04 · Top

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 12:54 AM, Anselm Lingnau <anselm@strathspey.org>wrote:

>
> I do welcome and encourage discussion of (open-source or proprietary)
> computer
> software that is helpful for purposes such as practising, teaching, or
> improving SCD and/or SCD music but I don't think the readership is
> interested
> in prolonged debate on the merits of different philosophies for developing
> and
> publishing software. Correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> Anselm
>
>
Oh, I am; it's a refreshing change from all the requests for obscure dance
instructions ;-)
--
Steve Wyrick -- Walnut Creek, California

Previous thread: RSCDS - Strategic and Other Plans
Next thread: Online registrations
A Django site.