strathspey Archive: Pinewoods Reel instructions

Pinewoods Reel instructions

Message 58019 · Ed Pearlman · 2 Feb 2010 19:46:40 · Top

About the Pinewoods Reel dance instructions: You can also view
instructions for this dance at
http://www.edpearlman.net/bh/bh-dances.html which has instructions for
all the dances on my 1987 CD Boston Hospitality, including 4 dances
written by Boston RSCDS teachers, plus Pinewoods Reel. It contains the
instructions that Bruce Herbold quotes and was asking about.

What's perhaps most important here is that these instructions and this
album has been around a long time and none of the many RSCDS teachers
from the Boston Branch, including the prominent teachers of the Boston
Branch who wrote dances on the album -- in fact, no one at all -- has
suggested any correction to these dance instructions. Marianne Taylor
considered this her favorite recording of the music for this dance and
many others agree -- TACTalk called it a "precious artistic jewel" -- so
plenty of people have seen the instructions and used the album,
especially people attending Pinewoods, where it's the signature dance.

I hope this helps reassure you about the directions!

--Ed Pearlman