strathspey Archive: Publishing commented editions

Publishing commented editions

Message 57747 · Robert Lambie · 15 Dec 2009 17:21:30 · Top

I think that the idea of commented editions is very good, but would suggest that, for the old dances (19th century or earlier), the original be aslo shewn. This seems to be now the normal way in the Country Dance publications that I see, published in GB or USA. It gives the reader some chance to see how "modernised" the dance has been.

R. A. Lambie

http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/186394592/direct/01/

Publishing commented editions

Message 57749 · Peter Price · 15 Dec 2009 20:17:30 · Top

I agree wholeheartedly that whenever possible the original be available, and
unknown sources be noted.

(I have always wondered how many of the dances in the Miscellanies were
written by Miss M.)

Peter Price
New Haven

On 12/15/09, Robert Lambie <ralambie50@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I think that the idea of commented editions is very good, but would suggest
> that, for the old dances (19th century or earlier), the original be aslo
> shewn. This seems to be now the normal way in the Country Dance publications
> that I see, published in GB or USA. It gives the reader some chance to see
> how "modernised" the dance has been.
>
> R. A. Lambie

> View your other email accounts from your Hotmail inbox. Add them now.

Publishing commented editions

Message 57750 · Iain Boyd · 15 Dec 2009 20:48:48 · Top

Peter Price wrote -

(I have always wondered how many of the dances in the Miscellanies were
written by Miss M.)

Quite a few, probably. Certainly, all of the dances with modern progressions!

Regards,

Iain Boyd

Postal Address -

P O Box 11-404

Wellington

New Zealand

Publishing commented editions

Message 57801 · John Chambers · 20 Dec 2009 20:41:29 · Top

Robert Lambie wrote:
| I think that the idea of commented editions is very good, but would
| suggest that, for the old dances (19th century or earlier), the
| original be aslo shewn. This seems to be now the normal way in the
| Country Dance publications that I see, published in GB or USA. It
| gives the reader some chance to see how "modernised" the dance has
| been.

That practice is occasionally seen back in the 19th century and
earlier. I've seen (facsimilies of) a number of dance descriptions
from back then that quoted earlier publishers such as Playford, along
with a translation into "modern" English. So doing this is following
a well-established tradition, as it were. It is probably most
interesting when the older instructions make no sense to (what we now
call) modern readers. In a few cases, they were really translating,
as the original descriptions were in some variety of Gaelic or French
or Dutch.

OTOH, the true "norm" was to publish everything without any history
at all, giving the impression that it was your own composition. This
practice hasn't died out. A friend recently sent me this link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5d9GA160ms
I expect that most readers of this list will instantly recognize the
tune, if not the words. Note that, although it is identified in the
listeners' comments, the person who posted it to youtube merely
called it a "Mandarin Song". Yeah, right.

(But Shao Han, aka Angela, is a lovely singer. ;-)

--
There are three kinds of people in this world,
those who count and those who don't.

Publishing commented editions

Message 57812 · frankibb · 22 Dec 2009 18:30:00 · Top

The Mandarin Song using the Annie Laurie music caught my eye. I have a
Mandarin speaking Chinese friend and asked her to translate the words. Here
is her translation.

Frank Ibbott
Westlake Village CA USA

Because of the dreams flying, distance will become closer;
Because of the North Star guiding, true love will be awakening.
Crossing the border of the night comes the eternal love;
I will stand in the dawn before our meeting, waiting for you to come.

Because of the sound of blooming, the winter will be far away;
Because of the footprint of the sunlight, the warmth will reach the earth.
Marching toward the rising sun comes the forever bright horizon;
I will be your perpetual sunshine, accompanying you in floating clouds and
light breeze.

When parting comes again, my dear, do not feel sad;
I will still be able to see and believe even though there is no light.
Happiness is an appointment, it will someday be fulfilled;
I wish I were the only love you've had, who forever stays in your heart.

Merry Christmas / Frohe Weihnachten

Message 57813 · nachteule7 · 23 Dec 2009 15:00:53 · Top

As the holidays are coming closer I want wish everybody on the list

a Merry Christmas
and a very happy New Year 2010 - with lots of dancing!

Frohe Weihnachten und einen Guten Rutsch ins Neue Jahr!

Looking forward to see one or another of you at dance events round Europe.

Martina Mueller-Franz
Langenfeld / Germany

Nachteule7@aol.com
www.scd-germany.de