strathspey Archive: RSCDS Membership database

RSCDS Membership database

Message 57483 · Nicola Scott · 2 Dec 2009 09:16:38 · Top

Hi all

I've just received a message from HQ to let me know that the membership
database is going to be down for another few months (!) as it has 'thrown up
more problems than anticipated'. Just in case anyone was hoping it might be
ready any time soon....

Happy dancing,

Nicola
Birmingham, UK

RSCDS Membership database

Message 57484 · Pia Walker · 2 Dec 2009 09:25:56 · Top

Oh Dear - and here I was so looking forward to re-checking 200+ names :>)

Pia

I've just received a message from HQ to let me know that the membership
database is going to be down for another few months (!) as it has 'thrown up
more problems than anticipated'. Just in case anyone was hoping it might be
ready any time soon....

Happy dancing,

Nicola
Birmingham, UK

RSCDS Membership database

Message 57485 · Brian Charlton · 2 Dec 2009 09:41:10 · Top

G'Day,

How are they going to ensure that all who are entitled to the Magazine get
it?

Surely they could have kept the other one going until the problems with it
were resolved.

Brian Charlton,
Sydney, Australia

2009/12/2 Pia <pia@intamail.com>

> Oh Dear - and here I was so looking forward to re-checking 200+ names :>)
>
> Pia

RSCDS Membership database

Message 57486 · Anselm Lingnau · 2 Dec 2009 10:05:35 · Top

Nicola Scott wrote:

> I've just received a message from HQ to let me know that the membership
> database is going to be down for another few months (!) as it has 'thrown
> up more problems than anticipated'.

Months!? Surely they're joking. Either whatever the thing is supposed to do is
vastly more complicated than we can even imagine, or else there is something
weird going on (I suspect the »second-system effect«).

The company I work for has a web-based customer relationship management/office
planning system, which in some shape or form does pretty much everything I
imagine one might want an RSCDS membership database to do (tracking various
companies and their contacts, including complex relationships between our
company and them, scheduling and storing »activities« like phone calls,
meeting notes, or e-mail messages, managing projects and the assignment of
people to them, managing contracts, writing invoices etc., etc.). That took me
less than a month to write, single-handedly, from scratch. Too bad the RSCDS
database thing hasn't apparently been tendered; it sounds like something my
company would have been happy to take on.

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Friedberg, Germany ..................... anselm@strathspey.org
We are faced with the paradoxical fact that education has become one of the

RSCDS Membership database

Message 57487 · Jerome Reinstein · 2 Dec 2009 10:57:12 · Top

I think it was tendered, but only in Scotland. Can someone please correct me if this is not the case.

Jerry
London & Paris

On 02/12/2009 09:05, "Anselm Lingnau" <anselm@strathspey.org> wrote:

The company I work for has a web-based customer relationship management/office
planning system, which in some shape or form does pretty much everything I
imagine one might want an RSCDS membership database to do (tracking various
companies and their contacts, including complex relationships between our
company and them, scheduling and storing »activities« like phone calls,
meeting notes, or e-mail messages, managing projects and the assignment of
people to them, managing contracts, writing invoices etc., etc.). That took me
less than a month to write, single-handedly, from scratch. Too bad the RSCDS
database thing hasn't apparently been tendered; it sounds like something my
company would have been happy to take on.

RSCDS Membership database

Message 57488 · redrose_solutions · 2 Dec 2009 11:30:30 · Top

A statement was made at the recent RSCDS AGM to the effect that the new
interface to the members' database would be available at the same time
as the new website, sometime next spring. Personally I don't understand
why all this is taking quite so long, but then I've only been an IT
professional since the mid-1970s, so what do I know?

Susi

Susi Mayr
Vienna (Austria) & Surrey (UK)

Get the best of the web - http://www.tiscali.co.uk/search

RSCDS Membership database

Message 57489 · Anselm Lingnau · 2 Dec 2009 11:49:05 · Top

Susi Mayr wrote:

> Personally I don't understand why all this is taking quite so long, but
> then I've only been an IT professional since the mid-1970s, so what do I
> know?

The people doing this are probably working at strathspey speed while the rest
of the world is in reel time.

Anselm
:^)
--
Anselm Lingnau, Friedberg, Germany ..................... anselm@strathspey.org
I find »an uncaring universe« immensely more attractive as an idea than that

RSCDS Membership database

Message 57490 · mlamontbrown · 2 Dec 2009 15:33:42 · Top

A statement was put up onto the Society website explaining what was happening just
before the Conference Weekend:

http://www.rscds.org/secretaries-section/rscds-wensite-update

Malcolm

Malcolm L Brown
York (UK)

Message 57491 · Iain Boyd · 2 Dec 2009 21:45:08 · Top

Greetings all,

The trouble with having a Society website is that it is becoming too easy for data/information to be added without anyone being advised that it is now there.

As a consequence, the problem of communication (or lack of communication) continues as not everyone will check the Society website regularly. I have not been onto the website for quite some time.

The New Zealand Branch has an informal system where local members can be advised of upcoming events or changes to addresses or receive copies of Society and Branch reports.

To my knowledge, this is not done via a database but via the secretary's email address book.

This would be difficult with a membership in the thousands where hundreds, if not thousands, may want to avail themselves of the opportunity of receiving email notification.

However, it should be a relatively easy task to add a code (or series of codes) beside each member indicating that he/she would like to be kept up-to-date with changes to the website and/or to receive changes of address and/or to receive Society reports available to all members etc or, at least, notification that the information is available and can be accessed or obtained. Naturally, an email address would be required to be collected and the data maintained.

The slightly more difficult task may be the actual mechanism whereby the database is scanned and an email dispatched to all wishing to receive the information. Although I did not have to undertake such a task I am sure that it now will be a comparatively easy task to implement.

Regards,

Iain Boyd

Postal Address -

P O Box 11-404

Wellington

New Zealand

A statement was put up onto the Society website explaining what was happening just
before the Conference Weekend:

http://www.rscds.org/secretaries-section/rscds-wensite-update

Malcolm

Malcolm L Brown
York  (UK)

Message 57492 · Duncan Laidlaw · 2 Dec 2009 22:41:30 · Top

Hi All,

As of this year the New Zealand branch has an online (web based) membership
database (just). The next task is an automated mailer that takes account of
the send email flag and dispatch emails to those people, reports then
provide address details for those who need to be snailed the information.

Cheers,

Duncan Laidlaw

[...]

Message 57493 · Andrew Smith · 3 Dec 2009 00:15:37 · Top

Isn't this an RSS 'feed' or something, but I am sure that Anselm will be
able to put me right.

Andrew Smith,
Bristol, UK

A statement was put up onto the Society website explaining what was
happening just
before the Conference Weekend:

http://www.rscds.org/secretaries-section/rscds-wensite-update

Malcolm

Malcolm L Brown
York (UK)

Message 57504 · Miriam L. Mueller · 3 Dec 2009 17:32:16 · Top

One solution, which it sounds like the Society would not be organized
enough to use, is to establish that information is updated on a scheduled
basis - i.e. anything from the first of each month to every Monday, or
some regular basis in between. Once such a schedule is known, anyone who
wants to check on the latest information will know when to look.
Personally, with websites of interest but no notice or schedule for
updates, I tend not to bother checking because I am unsure it will be
worth the time.
Mimi (Miriam) Mueller San Francisco

On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 12:45:08 -0800 (PST) Iain Boyd
<iain_boyd_scd@yahoo.co.nz> writes:
> Greetings all,
>
> The trouble with having a Society website is that it is becoming too
> easy for data/information to be added without anyone being advised
> that it is now there.

Nutrition
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/c?cp=urSxx9JI_a-HrWXPnNpyNgAAJ1Atoy6ZulSITx7Af8k9Z8ChAAYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASQwAAAAA=