strathspey Archive: Youtube - Schiehallion

Youtube - Schiehallion

Message 57448 · Marie Disiewicz · 23 Nov 2009 20:11:10 · Top

Hi to all

If you are teaching this dance any time soon, here is a most impressive demonstration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7BPfF6j5Mo

Yours in dancing
Marie
Surrey B.C. Canada

Youtube - Schiehallion

Message 57449 · Andrea Re · 23 Nov 2009 21:28:59 · Top

Well, I hope this is not going to get me killed (especially by those
whom I recognized; please, accept my apologies...), but I must
confess... it made me snooze, especially the SS bit. The geography was
very well done (and for once you can appreciate it thanks to the aerial
shots), but
I cannot see how a dem like that would entice people to dance or indeed
why would people want to watch it more than once (assuming they get to
the end).

But perhaps it's me...

Andrea (fae Falkirk and Dundee)

Marie Disiewicz ha scritto:
> Hi to all
>
> If you are teaching this dance any time soon, here is a most impressive demonstration.
>

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7BPfF6j5Mo
>
> Yours in dancing
> Marie
> Surrey B.C. Canada

Youtube - Schiehallion

Message 57450 · Phill Jones · 23 Nov 2009 22:12:11 · Top

Well, blimey, I know a few of them too and therefore have no comment either other than the irony of having a 50(or-so)-piece orchestra sat behind them and they danced to CD... oh, no, wait a second, tape? I would be curious to know how many other forms of dancing appeared on that show without using the orchestra there. I find it quite curious given most of our traditional tunes were written for fiddle/violin, cello etc. without an accordion in sight (mainly because it hadn't been invented!)... and for those that don't know me, this is coming from someone who thrives from playing accordion for SCD. Or am I just in a grumpy mood tonight???

Rgds,
Phill

Ely (but not for much longer), UK

Marie Disiewicz ha scritto:
> Hi to all
>
> If you are teaching this dance any time soon, here is a most impressive demonstration.
>

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7BPfF6j5Mo
>
> Yours in dancing
> Marie
> Surrey B.C. Canada

Youtube - Schiehallion

Message 57463 · Steve Wyrick · 24 Nov 2009 04:17:14 · Top

Most classical musicians wouldn't have a clue as to how to play this music
correctly. -Steve

--
Steve Wyrick -- Walnut Creek, California

Youtube - Schiehallion

Message 57465 · Anselm Lingnau · 24 Nov 2009 08:47:52 · Top

Steve Wyrick wrote:

> Most classical musicians wouldn't have a clue as to how to play this music
> correctly.

In addition, it turns out that, the physical presence of large orchestras
notwithstanding, most music on big TV events is play-back anyway. There are so
many things that can go wrong with a live performance that TV producers are
often reluctant to take the risk. Also most performers tend to like themselves
better when all their mistakes have been edited out in a recording studio, so
they're quite happy to mime. With the »dance« shows popular today, the music
may actually be live (ballroom-type dance bands, even though most other
musicians look down on them, are usually quite seasoned performers) but when
the likes of Robbie Williams or Britney Spears make an appearance on TV, it is
safe to say that they're not actually singing on the show. It would mean a
great deal of tedium and trouble to set up and soundcheck the complete band
kit for a 3-minute spot, so it is much easier for everyone concerned to have
the band go through the motions while the CD is played back instead, in
particular because that is what the audience wants to hear anyway.

This is usually more obvious with pop-type bands, who often seem to manage to
play cool licks on their electric instruments in the complete absence of
signal cables and, probably more importantly, power leads. There are now
wireless systems for things like electric guitars but there should still be
plugs in the corresponding sockets -- and most electronic keyboards do take AC
power.

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Friedberg, Germany ..................... anselm@strathspey.org
Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves.

Youtube - Schiehallion

Message 57451 · Marie Disiewicz · 23 Nov 2009 23:00:52 · Top

Well it goes to show you that we all like different things in different
portions.
I watched 3 times before I sent the email to the Strathspey Server and I was
in absolute AWE of the dancing and music.
In fact which CD is it that was played?

It might be that the musicians themselves chose not to play, who knows???
Maybe not all were trained to play for SCD????

My main reason for sending the email was I thought of new teachers who might
like to teach the dance, they would have a perfect example of how to teach
the dance.

Yours in dancing
Marie
Surrey B.C.
Canada
> Well, I hope this is not going to get me killed (especially by those whom
> I recognized; please, accept my apologies...), but I must confess... it
> made me snooze, especially the SS bit. The geography was very well done
> (and for once you can appreciate it thanks to the aerial shots), but
> I cannot see how a dem like that would entice people to dance or indeed
> why would people want to watch it more than once (assuming they get to the
> end).
>
> But perhaps it's me...
>
> Andrea (fae Falkirk and Dundee)
>
> Marie Disiewicz ha scritto:
>> Hi to all
>>
>> If you are teaching this dance any time soon, here is a most impressive
>> demonstration.
>>

>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7BPfF6j5Mo
>>
>> Yours in dancing
>> Marie Surrey B.C. Canada

Youtube - Schiehallion

Message 57452 · Phill Jones · 23 Nov 2009 23:21:55 · Top

I wish it to be known that my opinion expressed was NOT against the recorded music, the music used is a VERY good recording in my opinion. But it amazed me that the BBC would use recorded music when there was that quality of music sat on the stage. Actually, scrap the BBC it... make it ANY television station/.

> Well, I hope this is not going to get me killed (especially by those whom
> I recognized; please, accept my apologies...), but I must confess... it
> made me snooze, especially the SS bit. The geography was very well done
> (and for once you can appreciate it thanks to the aerial shots), but
> I cannot see how a dem like that would entice people to dance or indeed
> why would people want to watch it more than once (assuming they get to the
> end).
>
> But perhaps it's me...
>
> Andrea (fae Falkirk and Dundee)
>
> Marie Disiewicz ha scritto:
>> Hi to all
>>
>> If you are teaching this dance any time soon, here is a most impressive
>> demonstration.
>>

>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7BPfF6j5Mo
>>
>> Yours in dancing
>> Marie Surrey B.C. Canada

Youtube - Schiehallion

Message 57458 · Brian Charlton · 24 Nov 2009 01:09:08 · Top

G'Day,

The music sound like Drummond Cook's recording on Tae Gar Ye Loup (an old
LP, but very good).

Brian Charlton,
Sydney, Australia

2009/11/24 Phill Jones <phill@squeezypiano.co.uk>

> I wish it to be known that my opinion expressed was NOT against the
> recorded music, the music used is a VERY good recording in my opinion. But
> it amazed me that the BBC would use recorded music when there was that
> quality of music sat on the stage. Actually, scrap the BBC it... make it
> ANY television station/.

Youtube - Schiehallion

Message 57460 · Anselm Lingnau · 24 Nov 2009 01:27:36 · Top

Brian Charlton wrote:

> The music sound like Drummond Cook's recording on Tae Gar Ye Loup (an old
> LP, but very good).

Yep, that's the one. It's my favourite »Schiehallion«. The other tracks on the
record are also very good.

This is one I wouldn't mind buying as a CD -- I have it on cassette-tape-
turned-MP3 but a better-quality reissue would be nice.

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Friedberg, Germany ..................... anselm@strathspey.org
Oh, yeah. I definitely want a book on solid coding techniques from the folks

Youtube - Schiehallion

Message 57453 · Denise Smith · 24 Nov 2009 00:16:44 · Top

Thankyou Marie. The people in my Beginners class found it very useful. They
also appreciated the beautiful precision of the dancing, the phrasing and
the obvious enjoyment expressed.
Denise Smith
Brisbane

--
Denise Smith
76 Celandine St

Youtube - Schiehallion

Message 57454 · Denise Smith · 24 Nov 2009 00:19:36 · Top

Was it meant to entice people to dance - or was it done to entertain - and
in doing so, make people aware of the existence of SCD. Not all dems are
done in the hope that people will flock to the SCD classroom door.
Denise

--
Denise Smith
76 Celandine St

Youtube - Schiehallion

Message 57457 · SMiskoe · 24 Nov 2009 01:05:14 · Top

Anyone know what the first tune was? The 2nd tune is Willie Davey.
Sylvia Miskoe, Concord, NH USA

--
Denise Smith
76 Celandine St

Youtube - Schiehallion

Message 57459 · Anselm Lingnau · 24 Nov 2009 01:18:28 · Top

Denise Smith wrote:

> Was it meant to entice people to dance - or was it done to entertain - and
> in doing so, make people aware of the existence of SCD. Not all dems are
> done in the hope that people will flock to the SCD classroom door.

I don't actually believe any longer that »dumbed down« dems will encourage
more people to try SCD. We've been trying all sorts of dems over the years and
the number of people who came to join our club after having watched a dem of
whatever complexity remains at a steady zero (that's »0« for the
mathematically-minded in the audience). (For the record, we do get new people
in but our main means of recruitment these days is the group's web site.) So
for our recent spate of performances we have moved from the deliberately-
simple, walk-on style of dem that will in theory have the audience think »*I*
could do that and I'm so going to dance with these folks next Tuesday« to
choreographed display pieces that (according to what we hear) have the
audience think »Wow!«.

There are no specially simplified versions of classical ballet or Premier
League soccer to encourage new people to start. What you get at the theatre or
the stadium is tough, dedicated professionals giving it all they've got, to
deservedly great effect. However, this type of professionalism does not in the
least seem to deter many of the young from wanting to join a ballet class or
soccer club, even though only a minute fraction of these beginners will ever
make it to where the action takes place at the Bolshoi or the World Cup
finals. If anything, it serves as a source of inspiration to those who do
carry the ambition to become very good, while those whose abilities and/or
urges to improve have »maxed out« at a modest level still like to watch a top-
class ballet performance or football match.

Many pursuits manage to appeal to everyone from bumbling newbie to seasoned
pro, and there is no particular reason why that shouldn't apply to SCD as
well. Not everyone of us can be in the Younger Hall demonstration team at
Summer School (or would even want to), but that doesn't mean dancing can't be
fun for all the rest, too.

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Friedberg, Germany ..................... anselm@strathspey.org
C YES I AGREE. I STARTED OUT PROGRAMMING IN FORTRAN ON A TOPS-10 S 000100

Youtube - Schiehallion

Message 57461 · Bruce Herbold · 24 Nov 2009 01:54:01 · Top

Anselm, it is so seldom that I disagree with your notes to Strathspey
that I had to stop and think -- you know how I hate that.

Anyway.... I don't think it is a question of dumbing down demos. I
think it is an issue of truth-in-advertising. An SCD demo ought to
accurately portray what we do, and that is the social dancing of
Scotland (at least as we understand it). So Schiehallion is fine but
I would want a demo to also show the sheer rip-roaring energy of
West's Hornpipe. I would want the demo to be 'understandable' from
watching so I would avoid things with great things to dance but
muddled to look at -- like is often the case with contrary reels and
'meanwhile' figures. Here in the San Francisco area we have three
demo groups and they are quite different but a lot of what I see them
do is not representative of what we do at our balls, parties and
classes. Even if you don't successfully recruit with demos, at least
any audience ought to know what it is you do and be able to form an
opinion about whether they would want to join in. I actually think
SCD is a bit more like bridge than it is ballet -- people are more apt
to take it up if they have friends who do it than they are to take it
up from watching others enjoying it. But Bridge clubs do not stage
dramatic deals and bidding rounds -- at least SCD can look like fun
without giving away our hands and maybe someone will say -- "gosh that
looks like fun I think I'll try it." It could happen.

Bruce Herbold
San Francisco

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 4:18 PM, Anselm Lingnau <anselm@strathspey.org> wrote:
> Denise Smith wrote:
>
>> Was it meant to entice people to dance - or was it done to entertain - and
>> in doing so, make people aware of the existence of SCD. Not all dems are
>> done in the hope that people will flock to the SCD classroom door.
>
> I don't actually believe any longer that »dumbed down« dems will encourage
> more people to try SCD. We've been trying all sorts of dems over the years and
> the number of people who came to join our club after having watched a dem of
> whatever complexity remains at a steady zero (that's »0« for the
> mathematically-minded in the audience). (For the record, we do get new people
> in but our main means of recruitment these days is the group's web site.) So
> for our recent spate of performances we have moved from the deliberately-
> simple, walk-on style of dem that will in theory have the audience think »*I*
> could do that and I'm so going to dance with these folks next Tuesday« to
> choreographed display pieces that (according to what we hear) have the
> audience think »Wow!«.
>
> There are no specially simplified versions of classical ballet or Premier
> League soccer to encourage new people to start. What you get at the theatre or
> the stadium is tough, dedicated professionals giving it all they've got, to
> deservedly great effect. However, this type of professionalism does not in the
> least seem to deter many of the young from wanting to join a ballet class or
> soccer club, even though only a minute fraction of these beginners will ever
> make it to where the action takes place at the Bolshoi or the World Cup
> finals. If anything, it serves as a source of inspiration to those who do
> carry the ambition to become very good, while those whose abilities and/or
> urges to improve have »maxed out« at a modest level still like to watch a top-
> class ballet performance or football match.
>
> Many pursuits manage to appeal to everyone from bumbling newbie to seasoned
> pro, and there is no particular reason why that shouldn't apply to SCD as
> well. Not everyone of us can be in the Younger Hall demonstration team at
> Summer School (or would even want to), but that doesn't mean dancing can't be
> fun for all the rest, too.
>
> Anselm
> --
> Anselm Lingnau, Friedberg, Germany ..................... anselm@strathspey.org
> C     YES I AGREE.  I STARTED OUT PROGRAMMING IN FORTRAN ON A TOPS-10 S 000100
> C     YSTEM AND OTHER SIMILAR MACHINES.  ALTHOUGH, I MUST ADMIT, I STIL 000200
> C     L HAVE SOME BAD HABITS I PICKED UP FROM THOSE OLD DAYS, BY AND LA 000300
> C     RGE I BELIEVE I HAVE OVERCOME MOST OF THE WORST ONES.             000400
>  -- Roy Smith, on FORTRAN programmers being less likely to learn something new

--
Bruce Herbold

Youtube - Schiehallion

Message 57462 · mlamontbrown · 24 Nov 2009 02:09:27 · Top

At very short notice the group from Bournemouth were asked to represent Scotland by
doing a spot that lasted a particular number of seconds - which is why Schiehallion
was selected.

As for whether or not people think it would or wouldn't attract people, I can happily
report that it did attract new members to the branch.

I think the adage that all publicity is good publicity applies, and even a programme
like Come Dancing, which was taken off because it was not sufficiently popular, was
seen by a large number of people.

Malcolm

Malcolm L Brown
York (UK)

Youtube - Schiehallion

Message 57470 · john.m.sturrock · 24 Nov 2009 16:49:47 · Top

The best massed Dem I have seen on film, was that at the Royal Albert Hall,
14 years ago, when 40 dancers, from all over the south of England, including
some from that Bournemouth team, filled the arena. [The bit where the
promenaders prom. Ed.] They performed a single, non-stop, medley, with
choreographed entrance and exit, to a live band. At 6 minutes running time,
it is the ideal length for Youtube. It was professionally filmed, and a
number of copies on VHS tape exist. Does anyone have one, plus the
necessary expertise to upload it - if it has not been done before?

John M Sturrock
Cupar (UK)

> At very short notice the group from Bournemouth were asked to represent
> Scotland by
> doing a spot that lasted a particular number of seconds - which is why
> Schiehallion
> was selected.
>
> As for whether or not people think it would or wouldn't attract people, I
> can happily
> report that it did attract new members to the branch.
>
> I think the adage that all publicity is good publicity applies, and even a
> programme
> like Come Dancing, which was taken off because it was not sufficiently
> popular, was
> seen by a large number of people.
>
> Malcolm
>
> Malcolm L Brown
> York (UK)

Youtube - Schiehallion

Message 57464 · Lara Friedman-Shedlov · 24 Nov 2009 05:11:06 · Top

Ironically, it was watching dancers do this very dance -- Schiehallion --
that got me hooked on SCD when I first encountered it at Edinburgh
University back in the late 80s. It wasn't a demo, it was just an ordinary
class, but the dancers had lots of energy, and I was impressed by the
footwork and the cool patterns they were making. Of course, it was a group
of people mainly in their late 'teens and early 20s, so the energy was a bit
different from this group, and it was lot less formal. But in personal
experience, Schiehallion can be a great dance for recruiting people into
SCD!

/ Lara Friedman-Shedlov
Minneapolis, Minnesota USA

*****************************
Lara Friedman~Shedlov
lfriedmanshedlov@gmail.com

*****************************

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 6:54 PM, Bruce Herbold <bherbold@gmail.com> wrote:

> Anyway.... I don't think it is a question of dumbing down demos. I
> think it is an issue of truth-in-advertising. An SCD demo ought to
> accurately portray what we do, and that is the social dancing of
> Scotland (at least as we understand it). So Schiehallion is fine but
> I would want a demo to also show the sheer rip-roaring energy of
> West's Hornpipe. I would want the demo to be 'understandable' from
> watching so I would avoid things with great things to dance but
> muddled to look at -- like is often the case with contrary reels and
> 'meanwhile' figures.

Youtube - Schiehallion

Message 57466 · Andrew Smith · 24 Nov 2009 09:22:53 · Top

However, on the contrary side, Schiehallion freaked me out over several
years at every Hogmanay dance run by the Westbury Scottish Club in the Corn
Exchange, Bristol. In my teens I was far more focussed on Highland dancing
than SCD, and the dance names meant very little to me. So, each year
enthusiastic ladies would be getting me on to the floor, and Schiehallion
was a firm favourite, having been devised by Hugh Thurston during his time
with the club in Bristol. The first year was chaotic (when it came to last
strathspey figure and finally the reels), but the seond year I went on to
the floor in all innocence, and it was only when the dance/music started
that I realised that "It's that dance where they all go mad at the end." I
have not lost that memory. In subsequent years the impact did lessen
somewhat, but it was a very long time before I was actually taught the
dance, and I could well believe that the experience could be negative if
someone was a new dancer with not a great deal of self confidence,
especially on a crowded dance floor, as opposed to a fairly 'clinical'
demonstration. I do still enjoy the dance now.
I still have mixed views about the recruitment potential of demonstrations,
whether they be simple dances or complex, and whether they are delivered in
formal or informal dress. I think on balance, especially for demonstrations
at non-SCD functions, that simple dances and informal dress will make it
more appealing, not least because the team themselves will generally feel
more relaxed and stand a better chance of looking as if they are *really*
enjoying themselves rather than with a rictus smile and a rigidly grim
determination to be absolutely perfect.
Andrew Smith,
Bristol, UK.

> Ironically, it was watching dancers do this very dance -- Schiehallion --
> that got me hooked on SCD when I first encountered it at Edinburgh
> University back in the late 80s. It wasn't a demo, it was just an
> ordinary
> class, but the dancers had lots of energy, and I was impressed by the
> footwork and the cool patterns they were making. Of course, it was a
> group
> of people mainly in their late 'teens and early 20s, so the energy was a
> bit
> different from this group, and it was lot less formal. But in personal
> experience, Schiehallion can be a great dance for recruiting people into
> SCD!
>
> / Lara Friedman-Shedlov
> Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
>

> *****************************
> Lara Friedman~Shedlov
> lfriedmanshedlov@gmail.com
>
> *****************************
>

> On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 6:54 PM, Bruce Herbold <bherbold@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Anyway.... I don't think it is a question of dumbing down demos. I
>> think it is an issue of truth-in-advertising. An SCD demo ought to
>> accurately portray what we do, and that is the social dancing of
>> Scotland (at least as we understand it). So Schiehallion is fine but
>> I would want a demo to also show the sheer rip-roaring energy of
>> West's Hornpipe. I would want the demo to be 'understandable' from
>> watching so I would avoid things with great things to dance but
>> muddled to look at -- like is often the case with contrary reels and
>> 'meanwhile' figures.

Youtube - Schiehallion

Message 57467 · Anselm Lingnau · 24 Nov 2009 09:24:35 · Top

Bruce Herbold wrote:

> Anyway.... I don't think it is a question of dumbing down demos. I
> think it is an issue of truth-in-advertising. An SCD demo ought to
> accurately portray what we do, and that is the social dancing of
> Scotland (at least as we understand it). So Schiehallion is fine but
> I would want a demo to also show the sheer rip-roaring energy of
> West's Hornpipe. I would want the demo to be 'understandable' from
> watching so I would avoid things with great things to dance but
> muddled to look at -- like is often the case with contrary reels and
> 'meanwhile' figures.

Oh, I quite agree with that. We usually finish our demonstrations with
something like the Reel of the Royal Scots so we can go out with a bang (and
let me add another plug for the »Reel of Seven« CD mentioned earlier, which
has a Reel of the Royal Scots that can only be described as thermonuclear -- I
have edited it down to three turns, namely 1, 7, and 8, and it makes for a
great finale).

I think the selection of dances is one thing (and I'm pretty sure that Bruce
and I are really on the same wavelength there) and the approach to how a dem
is put on is another. We used to do performances where we would walk on the
stage, do a jig or reel 4 times through (or a 3-couple set strathspey), walk
off again, regroup, walk on, do the next dance etc. Recently we have dabbled
more with display-style performances where dances run into each other and
people move between set shapes and on and off the stage in an unbroken run,
(a) because it is more fun and (b) because it turns out to be a lot easier if
you start the CD once and let it run for 15 minutes rather than having to play
track 1, track 2, ... (We don't usually have enough people to detail somebody
to supervise the CD operator, and we had a bad experience earlier this year
where the person at the CD player had such a room-temperature IQ that he
didn't grasp the idea of starting a CD from track 4. Mind you, that was after
he had gratuitiously stopped the CD after track 3, and as this was at a
highland games the CD booth was on the other side of the athletic field. That
day I vowed never again to leave a moron in charge of starting and stopping
the music.)

You can watch our group's performance programme for this year at

http://www.frankfurt-scd-club.org/eventlog/090829muf.html

(apologies if I have plugged this before; also, the ending is a bit botched
because I messed up the performance workbook and people weren't quite sure
where to go).

> I actually think
> SCD is a bit more like bridge than it is ballet -- people are more apt
> to take it up if they have friends who do it than they are to take it
> up from watching others enjoying it. But Bridge clubs do not stage
> dramatic deals and bidding rounds -- at least SCD can look like fun
> without giving away our hands and maybe someone will say -- "gosh that
> looks like fun I think I'll try it." It could happen.

It certainly does make a difference if your friends are doing it already :^)
But that goes for soccer and ballet, too.

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Friedberg, Germany ..................... anselm@strathspey.org
One should expect that the expected can be prevented, but the unexpected

Youtube - Schiehallion

Message 57468 · Pia Walker · 24 Nov 2009 09:26:52 · Top

Good for you Anselm - people who stop to watch a performance wants to be woved and entertained - they do not want to be educated.

With regard to ballet etc - it is not the execution of the performance which makes children want to take part - ask any child who goes to a ballet performance (not a ballet dem) if he/she wanted to be a ballet dancer because of the perfect execution of the assambles - and they will tell you that they emphasised with the 'star' - it is not "I want to do en pointe just like that" - it is I want to be Giselle. I want to be Beckham in the football world.

Which is why I dispair when I see a beautifully executed dem. danced by people who are as lifeless as putty, going through the motions without showing joy. It may look beautiful to the Scottish Country Dancer, because we know what we are looking at, but to the uninitiated, it looks boring. How can we show people it is fun, if we do not look as if it is. If we really wanted people to do SCD, we should put together a performance, make it look good, and behave so that people say - I want to be that dancer - then they will go to class to become dancers.

Another thing - children - how can we teach children dancing, when they are never near adults soical dancing? - we can teach them steps, and some dances, but if we never mix with them, how can the learn to mix with us?

Pia
rant unlimited.

> Was it meant to entice people to dance - or was it done to entertain - and
> in doing so, make people aware of the existence of SCD. Not all dems are
> done in the hope that people will flock to the SCD classroom door.

I don't actually believe any longer that »dumbed down« dems will encourage
more people to try SCD. We've been trying all sorts of dems over the years and
the number of people who came to join our club after having watched a dem of
whatever complexity remains at a steady zero (that's »0« for the
mathematically-minded in the audience). (For the record, we do get new people
in but our main means of recruitment these days is the group's web site.) So
for our recent spate of performances we have moved from the deliberately-
simple, walk-on style of dem that will in theory have the audience think »*I*
could do that and I'm so going to dance with these folks next Tuesday« to
choreographed display pieces that (according to what we hear) have the
audience think »Wow!«.

There are no specially simplified versions of classical ballet or Premier
League soccer to encourage new people to start. What you get at the theatre or
the stadium is tough, dedicated professionals giving it all they've got, to
deservedly great effect. However, this type of professionalism does not in the
least seem to deter many of the young from wanting to join a ballet class or
soccer club, even though only a minute fraction of these beginners will ever
make it to where the action takes place at the Bolshoi or the World Cup
finals. If anything, it serves as a source of inspiration to those who do
carry the ambition to become very good, while those whose abilities and/or
urges to improve have »maxed out« at a modest level still like to watch a top-
class ballet performance or football match.

Many pursuits manage to appeal to everyone from bumbling newbie to seasoned
pro, and there is no particular reason why that shouldn't apply to SCD as
well. Not everyone of us can be in the Younger Hall demonstration team at
Summer School (or would even want to), but that doesn't mean dancing can't be
fun for all the rest, too.

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Friedberg, Germany ..................... anselm@strathspey.org
C YES I AGREE. I STARTED OUT PROGRAMMING IN FORTRAN ON A TOPS-10 S 000100
C YSTEM AND OTHER SIMILAR MACHINES. ALTHOUGH, I MUST ADMIT, I STIL 000200
C L HAVE SOME BAD HABITS I PICKED UP FROM THOSE OLD DAYS, BY AND LA 000300
C RGE I BELIEVE I HAVE OVERCOME MOST OF THE WORST ONES. 000400
-- Roy Smith, on FORTRAN programmers being less likely to learn something new

Youtube - Schiehallion

Message 57471 · simon scott · 24 Nov 2009 18:35:46 · Top

I fully agree with Anslem, we should always be aiming "high".
Showing the best we can do in a Demonstration is a duty and a joy.

Simon Scott
Vancouver