strathspey Archive: Pilling-style diagrams

Pilling-style diagrams

Message 56383 · Chris Ronald · 8 Aug 2009 20:55:40 · Top

Hello strathspeyers,

I'm wondering if anyone on the list has software they use to create
Pilling-style diagrams.

If so, would you be willing to share it with me?

Many thanks,

Chris, New York.

Pilling-style diagrams

Message 56401 · Anja Breest · 11 Aug 2009 16:03:30 · Top

Chris Ronald schrieb:
> Hello strathspeyers,
>
> I'm wondering if anyone on the list has software they use to create
> Pilling-style diagrams.
>
> If so, would you be willing to share it with me?

I still use DanceMaster, a programm Dirk Taeger has written several
years ago. It still needs a lot of "handwork", but I like it.
Unfortunatly it isn't online anymore...
Maybe I can manage to find an original version on my computer...

Anselm uses something different, but I can't tell what.
(I only know the results ;-))

Greetings
Anja

--
Anja Breest
Cologne, Germany

Cologne Scottish Country Dancers
http://www.rscds-cologne.de

Mail:
Strathspeylist: strathspey@rscds-cologne.de
Privat: anja.breest@girards.de

Pilling-style diagrams

Message 56402 · Anselm Lingnau · 11 Aug 2009 16:59:42 · Top

Anja Breest wrote:

> Anselm uses something different, but I can't tell what.
> (I only know the results ;-))

You don't really want to know. I use a mixture of LaTeX (for overall
formatting, »dance boxes« and letter-symbol figures) and MetaPost (for
pictures showing dancers and floor patterns). It works for me but only because
I wrote it myself -- it is otherwise quite unfit for human consumption.

What usually happens is that I take December and early January in a hurry to
finish that year's programme's diagrams in time, all the while bitching and
moaning about the various things that ought to be done differently, cleaned
up, rewritten from scratch, etc. and promising myself that I will get to work
on that by the time the ball is over in April (I usually spend the time
between the final diagrams and the ball itself on musical arrangements). Of
course once that occurs it turns out that there are other important things to
do, and in a blink of an eye it is December again.

Unfortunately, drawing good Pilling-style diagrams is really, really
difficult, especially if you want them to look like the genuine article. This
is one of the dark corners where SCD, typography, mathematics, and compiler
technology meet, and we could really use somebody with the tenacity of a Harry
Potter to clear this up once and for all (being able to do magic would also be
a definite asset).

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Friedberg, Germany ..................... anselm@strathspey.org
Cats are smarter than dogs. You cannot get eight cats to pull a sled through

Pilling-style diagrams

Message 56403 · Cord Walter · 11 Aug 2009 17:09:42 · Top

Anselm Lingnau schrieb:
> Anja Breest wrote:
>
>> Anselm uses something different, but I can't tell what.
>> (I only know the results ;-))
>
> You don't really want to know. I use a mixture of LaTeX (for overall
> formatting, »dance boxes« and letter-symbol figures) and MetaPost (for
> pictures showing dancers and floor patterns). It works for me but only because
> I wrote it myself -- it is otherwise quite unfit for human consumption.

I was tempted to reply:

"Oh, he probably uses self-written TeX or troff extensions"

Wouldn't have been that far from the truth, after all ;)

-cord

--
Cord Walter
email: cord.walter@cwalter.net

Weil es niemanden etwas angeht, dass ich nichts zu verbergen habe:
http://www.gnupg.org/
http://www.truecrypt.org/
...und überhaupt: http://www.FreiheitstattAngst.de

Pilling-style diagrams

Message 56404 · Steve Johnson · 12 Aug 2009 17:49:19 · Top

I use a set of symbols drawn in Microsoft Visio. Once you've compiled a few
of the common ones, it's not hard to do new dances, and 'track' diagrams are
always hand-drawn anyway.

I'm also working on doing some 'Mrs Pilling' diagrams drawn from the 1st W's
perspective, but that's another story...

best regards

I'd also love to see a copy of Dirk Taeger's Dancemaster, if anyone can make
copies available.

Steve
--
Steve Johnson
sj@rapid.demon.co.uk

> I'm wondering if anyone on the list has software they use to create
> Pilling-style diagrams.
>
> If so, would you be willing to share it with me?

I still use DanceMaster, a programm Dirk Taeger has written several years
ago. It still needs a lot of "handwork", but I like it.
Unfortunatly it isn't online anymore...
Maybe I can manage to find an original version on my computer...

Anselm uses something different, but I can't tell what.
(I only know the results ;-))

Greetings
Anja

--
Anja Breest
Cologne, Germany

Cologne Scottish Country Dancers
http://www.rscds-cologne.de

Mail:
Strathspeylist: strathspey@rscds-cologne.de
Privat: anja.breest@girards.de

Pilling-style diagrams

Message 56419 · Andrew C Aitchison · 17 Aug 2009 18:54:11 · Top

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009, Steve Johnson wrote:

> I'm also working on doing some 'Mrs Pilling' diagrams drawn from the 1st W's
> perspective, but that's another story...

I believe I was once shown a wee red book of those.
Unfortunately I've no idea how anyone would get hold of a copy.

Pilling-style diagrams

Message 56420 · Steve Johnson · 17 Aug 2009 22:55:26 · Top

Do tell more! How long ago? From the Pilling stable, or third party?

--
Steve Johnson
sj@rapid.demon.co.uk

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009, Steve Johnson wrote:

> I'm also working on doing some 'Mrs Pilling' diagrams drawn from the
> 1st W's perspective, but that's another story...

I believe I was once shown a wee red book of those.
Unfortunately I've no idea how anyone would get hold of a copy.

Pilling-style diagrams

Message 56442 · Andrew C Aitchison · 23 Aug 2009 09:56:19 · Top

On Mon, 17 Aug 2009, Steve Johnson wrote:

> Do tell more! How long ago? From the Pilling stable, or third party?

Hmm. I didn't think I remembered any more to tell, but I
think I *can* answer those questions.
A decade or two ago, and third party I presumed, although
the size and binding did look the same as the original.

As a single guy I didn't think to check the publisher.

Message 56438 · Chris Ronald · 23 Aug 2009 06:44:24 · Top

This is just to say "thank you" for the very helpful responses I received on
this query.

As usual, the list didn't disappoint.

Chris (now in Colombo for 2 weeks, and looking forward to a little dancing
when I'm not working.)

Pilling-style diagrams

Message 56405 · Alan Macpherson · 13 Aug 2009 13:47:42 · Top

If you can find a copy of Harvard Graphics (e-bay?) you will find this to be VG software for creating "Pillings". You will
have to be prepared to run it in DOS!

On Sat, 8 Aug 2009 14:55:40 -0400, Chris Ronald wrote:

>Hello strathspeyers,

>I'm wondering if anyone on the list has software they use to create
>Pilling-style diagrams.

>If so, would you be willing to share it with me?

>Many thanks,

>Chris, New York.

Pilling-style diagrams

Message 56411 · Keith Rose · 13 Aug 2009 21:49:15 · Top

I have been creating such diagrams for many years now for our Branch's
functions, and now have a library of 1000 dances. I use my own custom
application, originally written in Basic on an Amiga 500. It now runs on a PC.
It generates a Postscript file which I usually convert to a PDF file for others to
view. See http://www.krose.plus.com/scd/O280309.pdf for an example.
Like Anselm's application I cannot claim it is user friendly. There are some
quirks in it. Development was hindered by limitations of the interpreter. I
have intended for years to migrate/rewrite the application to run properly
under Windows, but my attempts have not yet succeeded, mainly due to lack
of time and conflicting priorities. However, I am treating my recent
redundancy as early retirement and am looking forward to getting back to
this project this winter.

Keith Rose,
Bedford, UK

On 8 Aug 2009 at 14:55, Chris Ronald wrote:

> I'm wondering if anyone on the list has software they use to create
> Pilling-style diagrams.
Keith Rose,
Bedford, UK

Pilling-style diagrams

Message 56412 · Thomas G. Mungall, III · 13 Aug 2009 22:01:06 · Top

It would be WAY cool to have SCD dance cribs and diagrams converted to be
able use them as an iPhone/iPod application (app). Handy huh? Just touch an
app and up comes 1000 dance cribs!

Yours aye,
Tom Mungall, III
Baton Rouge, La. USA