strathspey Archive: Partners in Time

Partners in Time

Message 55836 · Iain Boyd · 7 May 2009 23:56:24 · Top

Dear Marion,

Do you or any of the other musicians who have this tune know the significance of the title?

Regards,

Iain Boyd

Postal Address -

P O Box 11-404

Wellington

New Zealand

--- On Thu, 7/5/09, mariansband@aol.com <mariansband@aol.com> wrote:

From: mariansband@aol.com <mariansband@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Partners in Time & Captain McGuire
To: strathspey@strathspey.org

Hi Edwin,

I will get you a copy of Partners in Time, I do not have Captain McGuire.

Marian Anderson.

Partners in Time

Message 55837 · Anselm Lingnau · 8 May 2009 00:24:28 · Top

Iain Boyd wrote:

> Do you or any of the other musicians who have this tune know the
> significance of the title?

The tune is originally published in Jim Sutherland's collection, »The Flow
Country«, and carries the following explanation:

The partners are Jim Kilpatrick and Rab Mathieson. Rab is currently
Pipe Major, and Jim Drum Major of Shotts and Dykehead Pipe Band.

Jim Sutherland is a multi-instrumentalist and composer who is probably most
notable for his percussion work and as a member of »The Easy Club«, the
unsurpassed Scottish folk/gypsy jazz crossover band. The book came out in
1987, which was about the time that I lived in Edinburgh. Back then I had
occasion at various times to listen to Jim S and he is very, very good. I also
look back with fond memories to a concert in the Queen's Hall featuring the
Shotts and Dykehead pipe band together with the Battlefield Band (back in the
good old days when they had Brian McNeill and Dougie Pincock) and Dougie
Maclean, and I'm fairly convinced that Scottish music doesn't get much better
than what happened that night. Sigh.

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Friedberg, Germany ..................... anselm@strathspey.org
If everyone is thinking alike, no one is thinking.

Partners in Time

Message 55838 · Sheila Kidney · 8 May 2009 01:17:27 · Top

Oh Anselm, I remember that concert. The hairs stood up on the back of my
neck. Battlefield were/are on of my all time favourite bands.

I agree with your assessment of Jim S, and the Easy Club, wonderful music
and musicians.

Sheila

Partners in Time

Message 55839 · mariansband · 8 May 2009 08:58:27 · Top

Hi Iain,

I didn't know the significance of the tune but it is such an interesting story now I have. Thank you for bringing this up.

All the best
Marian.