strathspey Archive: Easter Wedding

Easter Wedding

Message 55750 · Stephen Coombs · 30 Apr 2009 23:06:49 · Top

Help!

I am having trouble with this this dance. Using both the book New Forest Scottish Country Dances and MiniCrib (which matches the description in the book), I cannot see a 4-cpl progression. The dance seems to keep alternating the top two and the bottom two couples. It seems that either the circling by the 1s and 4s in bars 1-8 or the right hands across by the 1s and 4s in bars 9-16 should be 1/2 figures to allow for the progression.

Does anyone have any suggestion?

Steve

Database version: 6.12290

Music for Classes

Message 55751 · RODERICK JOHNSTON · 1 May 2009 00:38:15 · Top

I know this has been discussed in the past but I would like some assistance in helping my local RSCDS group reach the correct solution.

My local dance class is looking at digitising their existing CD library to:
(a) save our discs some of which are becoming temprimental when playing
(b) simplify the operation of starting and stopping at points in the dance and
(c) able to change the tempo without affecting the sound quality.
Yes I know a musician would be the perfrect solution but I cannot be there to play very often and I also like to dance.

Any recomendations on hardware and software would be greatfully received.
It also needs to be easy to operate as some of the teachers are not overly IT literate.

Roddy
Fort William

Music for Classes

Message 55752 · Angus Henry · 1 May 2009 01:23:47 · Top

Private reply in line with previous discussions sent.

On 01-05-2009, at 8:08, RODERICK JOHNSTON wrote:

> I know this has been discussed in the past but I would like some
> assistance in helping my local RSCDS group reach the correct solution.
>
> My local dance class is looking at digitising their existing CD
> library to:
> (a) save our discs some of which are becoming temprimental when
> playing
> (b) simplify the operation of starting and stopping at points in the
> dance and
> (c) able to change the tempo without affecting the sound quality.
> Yes I know a musician would be the perfrect solution but I cannot be
> there to play very often and I also like to dance.
>
> Any recomendations on hardware and software would be greatfully
> received.
> It also needs to be easy to operate as some of the teachers are not
> overly IT literate.
>
> Roddy
> Fort William

Angus & Puka Henry
DARWIN, AUSTRALIA
Website: <http://www.users.on.net/~anguka/>

Music for Classes

Message 55755 · Mike Briggs · 1 May 2009 02:49:32 · Top

Please, Angus -- share the reply with the whole list.  Thanks.

Mike

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
+                     Mike and Norma Briggs                  +
+                      1519 Storytown Road                    +
+                  Oregon WI 53711-1925 USA              +
+  +1 608 835 0914 (voice) +1 608 237 2379 (fax)    +
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Private reply in line with previous discussions sent.

On 01-05-2009, at 8:08, RODERICK JOHNSTON wrote:

> I know this has been discussed in the past but I would like some
assistance in helping my local RSCDS group reach the correct solution.

> My local dance class is looking at digitising their existing CD library
to:
> (a) save our discs some of which are becoming temprimental when playing
> (b) simplify the operation of starting and stopping at points in the dance
and
> (c) able to change the tempo without affecting the sound quality.
> Yes I know a musician would be the perfrect solution but I cannot be there
to play very often and I also like to dance.

> Any recomendations on hardware and software would be greatfully received.
> It also needs to be easy to operate as some of the teachers are not overly
IT literate.

> Roddy
> Fort William

Angus & Puka Henry
DARWIN, AUSTRALIA
Website: <http://www.users.on.net/~anguka/>

Music for Classes

Message 55757 · Angus Henry · 1 May 2009 03:39:27 · Top

The reply was sent privately to avoid deja vu for others as it was
merely a very much condensed version of what was put up on the
Strathspey Server last year (I did omit to say that iTunes is free);
but as requested:

Hi Rod

The way most of us have gone is to the laptop computer. I put all our
dance CDs (about 3 700 tracks) onto a wee MacBook 2 or 3 years ago,
and installed software called Amazing Slow Downer which lets you start
and stop in the middle, stop and go back to the beginning, change
speed without affecting the pitch (and vice versa), add a pause before
starting to play, graphic equaliser, permanent settings for individual
tracks if wanted, etc. It is very simple to use.
I used iTunes to import the CDs to AAC format (an advanced version of
MP3), and all that is needed is an external amplifier and speaker with
a standard 2.5 mm sound jack – the standard iPod players are the type
of thing (we got an Apple Audio Hi-Fi but they are no longer made,
unfortunately!). The output is perfect and out unit is more than
ample for a room with 4 sets, one person can carry the two items of
hardware easily, and it only takes 5 minutes whenever a new CD is
added to the collection to import it as AAC and and add it to the
permanent collection on the hard disk, so that EVERYTHING is always
available for selection (even 17 different recordings of the Duke of
Perth!).

Let me know if you want any further details.

Happy dancing

On 01-05-2009, at 10:19, Norma or Mike Briggs wrote:

> Please, Angus -- share the reply with the whole list. Thanks.
>
> Mike
>
> + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
> + Mike and Norma
> Briggs +
> + 1519 Storytown
> Road +
> + Oregon WI 53711-1925 USA +
> + +1 608 835 0914 (voice) +1 608 237 2379 (fax) +
> + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Message 55758 · Brian Charlton · 1 May 2009 04:13:21 · Top

Hello,

Angus is right, there has been a significant amount of discussion on this.
Similar results to Angus can be obtained on Windows systems. I use WinAmp
for managing my MP3 files, though iTunes also works in a similar manner on
Windows computers. I have been using Pacemaker with WinAmp to control
playing speed, though it does not work with Vista. I have tested Amazing
Slow-downer as well, and that works in Vista, though I have not yet
subscribed for the full version.

While WinAmp and iTunes will 'rip' CDs to MP3 or AAC files, there are many
other solutions available. I use a commercial software which allows
variation of the quality of the MP3 file - bit rate and variability of the
bit rate for those in the know.

I agree with Angus, using a laptop is a very useful way of organising and
using music for classes.

I have also started putting my dance instructions into electronic form so
that they, too, can be readily available in class; MiniCrib and Eric
Ferguson's cribs are already there, but the original instructions are best
and other information can be added to the details.

Brian Charlton,
Sydney, Australia

2009/5/1 Angus Henry <anguka@internode.on.net>

> The reply was sent privately to avoid deja vu for others as it was merely a
> very much condensed version of what was put up on the Strathspey Server last
> year (I did omit to say that iTunes is free); but as requested:
>
> Hi Rod
>
> The way most of us have gone is to the laptop computer. I put all our
> dance CDs (about 3 700 tracks) onto a wee MacBook 2 or 3 years ago, and
> installed software called Amazing Slow Downer which lets you start and stop
> in the middle, stop and go back to the beginning, change speed without
> affecting the pitch (and vice versa), add a pause before starting to play,
> graphic equaliser, permanent settings for individual tracks if wanted, etc.
> It is very simple to use.
> I used iTunes to import the CDs to AAC format (an advanced version of MP3),
> and all that is needed is an external amplifier and speaker with a standard
> 2.5 mm sound jack – the standard iPod players are the type of thing (we got
> an Apple Audio Hi-Fi but they are no longer made, unfortunately!). The
> output is perfect and out unit is more than ample for a room with 4 sets,
> one person can carry the two items of hardware easily, and it only takes 5
> minutes whenever a new CD is added to the collection to import it as AAC and
> and add it to the permanent collection on the hard disk, so that EVERYTHING
> is always available for selection (even 17 different recordings of the Duke
> of Perth!).
>
> Let me know if you want any further details.
>
> Happy dancing
>

> On 01-05-2009, at 10:19, Norma or Mike Briggs wrote:
>
> Please, Angus -- share the reply with the whole list. Thanks.
>>
>> Mike
>>
>> + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
>> + Mike and Norma Briggs
>> +
>> + 1519 Storytown Road
>> +
>> + Oregon WI 53711-1925 USA +
>> + +1 608 835 0914 (voice) +1 608 237 2379 (fax) +
>> + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Message 55769 · parbleuoui · 1 May 2009 17:15:05 · Top

Hello Brian,

what makes you say Vista doesn't work with Pacemaker/WinAmp ????

I'm not a computer expert so i can't explain why my system works - but
it does :-)

Nice May Day!
Gabrielle

+
>> + +1 608 835 0914 (voice) +1 608 237 2379 (fax) +
>> + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

AOL eMail auf Ihrem Handy! Ab sofort können Sie auch unterwegs Ihre AOL
email abruf
en. Registrieren Sie sich jetzt kostenlos.

Music for Classes

Message 55770 · Steve Johnson · 1 May 2009 17:31:38 · Top

Indeed - it works fine on Vista for me here also...
--
Steve Johnson
sj@rapid.demon.co.uk

+
>> + +1 608 835 0914 (voice) +1 608 237 2379 (fax) +
>> + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Message 55790 · RODERICK JOHNSTON · 3 May 2009 12:55:05 · Top

Von: Gary Lindsey <gary.lindsey@sbcglobal.net>
An: strathspey@strathspey.org
Verschickt: Mo., 4. Mai. 2009, 1:13
Thema: RE: Music for Classes

__________________________________
______________________________________
AOL eMail auf Ihrem Handy! Ab sofort können Sie auch unterwegs Ihre AOL
email abrufen. Registrieren Sie sich jetzt kostenlos.

Music for Classes

Message 55808 · Gary Lindsey · 4 May 2009 22:39:00 · Top

If you are running the same versions and those of us that have already said it is working, I would think you MIGHT have a corrupt file somewhere. I would recommend you uninstall Pacemaker and WinAmp, reboot, and re-install. See if that clears it up.

I know, typical Geek-Speak and answer.

Sorry :-(

Gary Lindsey
Flying Ghillies SCD