strathspey Archive: Tune Information Request

Tune Information Request

Message 55728 · seonaid.gent · 21 Apr 2009 00:01:29 · Top

Hello,

I'm looking for information about the tune Itchy Fingers. I have two different sources showing different composers. Does any one know if it was Robert Pinkman who composed the tune which has been arranged by Robert Mathieson? Or did Mr Mathieson write the tune?

Thanks,

Seonaid
Markinch, Fife

Tune Information Request

Message 55729 · John Cahill · 21 Apr 2009 04:49:29 · Top

I'm afraid it's not much help but FWIW:

The tune does appear in Robert Mathieson's own book,
"Marking Time" but he only lists himself as arranger. No
composer is listed. It's the only tune in the book listed that
way. Every other tune except one gives himself, someone
else or our old friend Trad as the composer. (The jig "The
Hag's Dance" gives no information at all.)

Further the witness knoweth not.

Cheers,

-John-

At 03:01 PM 4/20/2009, you wrote:
>Hello, I'm looking for information about the tune Itchy Fingers. I
>have two different sources showing different composers. Does any
>one know if it was Robert Pinkman who composed the tune which has
>been arranged by Robert Mathieson? Or did Mr Mathieson write the
>tune? Thanks, Seonaid Markinch, Fife

Tune Information Request

Message 55730 · Alasdair Graham · 21 Apr 2009 09:40:18 · Top

< I'm looking for information about the tune Itchy Fingers.
< I have two different sources showing different composers.
Seonaid
Markinch, Fife

If you look at the Bagpipe Music Writer website
http://www.mohr.nu/Peter/tunes/tunes.html
you will see both a Reel and a Hornpipe listed under this name.

The Reel is shown as -- Arranged by R. Mathieson.
The Hornpipe as -- Composed by Jim Motherwell.

On Bill Black's CD "The Dawning" the Reel is credited to Pipe Major R
Mathieson.

Alasdair Graham
Dumbarton, Scotland