strathspey Archive: Cairns Weekend School and Annual Ball - 1 to 4 May.

Cairns Weekend School and Annual Ball - 1 to 4 May.

Message 55668 · John Bell · 11 Apr 2009 00:12:08 · Top

We have now finalised our arrangements for the Cairns Weekend School and
Annual Ball.

Lots of special flight deals going down at the moment.

Cairns in May is the place to be. Dry, temp in mid/high 20s. Sea warm, sky
blue. Perfect one day, Paradise the next.

Cost $A 75, (which includes all below unless it says otherwise):

Dates;

Fri May 1st _ Ceilidh/Bushdance.

Sat 2nd - SCD classes AM & PM with lunch. Dining with the lions at the
Cairns Safari Park PM.(This meal is optional and not included in the cost)

Sun 3rd - Ball walkthrough (or free time) AM. Annual Ball PM with supper

Mon 4th - Brunch.

Musicians are Cathy Fraser and Duncan Smith.

Teachers are Elaine Arthur and Duncan Smith.

It does not get better than that.

Ball Programme 2009:

It's Just for Fun 8 x 32 J
RSCDS Book 33

Milton's Welcome 8 x 32 R
RSCDS Book 33

The Dean Bridge of Edinburgh 8 x 32 S
RSCDS Book 23

The Flying Spur 8 x 32 J
Canadian Book

Stanford Swing 8 x 40 R
Devil's Quandary

The Cramond Wedding 3 x 32 S
15 Social Dances

The Gilly Flower 8 x 32 J
RSCDS Book 36

Ian Powrie's Farewell to
Auchterarder 128 J
Leaflet

Supper

Hooper's Jig 8 x 32 J
MMMII

St. Andrew Forever 8 x 32 S
John Wilkinson

The Saltire Society Reel 8 x 32 R
RSCDS Leaflet

Beach Dancer 8 x 32 J
Eddy West

Double Dutch 4 x 32 S
Ruth Taylor

Lothian Lads 8 x 32 R
Brodie Book

Pelorus Jack 8 x 32 J
RSCDS Book 41

Ysobel 8 x 32 S
Bankhead 5

The Reel of the 51st Division 8/10 x 32 R
RSCDS Book 13

Details including crib sheet or leaflet from:

John Bell

bellsat60@optusnet.com.au

The Road to the Isles by James Cosh

Message 55669 · Eddy West · 11 Apr 2009 01:02:10 · Top

I have been looking at this dance today and am puzzled by the figure for the
first 8 bars.
At first sight the description is for two diagonal reels of three danced at
the same time.
One reel by 1st & 2nd ladies with 3rd man and the other by the other 3
dancers.

The diagram shows the path for such reels quite clearly but it shows 3rd
couple dancing
the track in the opposite direction to the others and the arrows on the
paths go in both directions.

If 3rd couple dance in the direction indicated they will have to take
evasive action every couple
of steps, if they dance the same way as everyone else the dance still
requires careful phrasing
but the reels would feel more natural.

Has anyone done the dance? Are there notes from TAC or elsewhere that
discuss it?

Thanks in anticipation

Eddy West from Auckland NZ

(as a footnote the dance was danced in 1958 when Mr & Mrs Arthur Miller left
for
Dunedin NZ so perhaps NZ's Islands were the isles in this case)

The Road to the Isles by James Cosh

Message 55670 · Angus Henry · 11 Apr 2009 06:48:22 · Top

A long time ago! In case you do not get a more authoritative reply,
when I taught it I ignored the wrong arrows and taught each reel with
the long cross end to end being always from top and bottom and the
cross through 2nd place being always on the way up.
1C pass each other on bars 2 &5, 3C on bars 3 & 6, and 2C on bars 4 &
7 (approximately; as you note, sensitive phrasing needed). To assist
the phrasing I taught 3C starting with a cast to provide the slight
delay need and finishing looping round to complete their figure of
eight at the end which gave them sufficient impetus to get out of the
way of 2nd couple on their way home to the top, and 1C also completing
their figure of eight by dancing down inside 2C as 2C dance up to top.
I cannot remember how I had 1C finishing, but current usage would
require them to loop in to 2nd place, which fits well.

Hope this is of some help.

Angus

On 11-04-2009, at 8:32, Eddy West wrote:

> I have been looking at this dance today and am puzzled by the figure
> for the first 8 bars.
> At first sight the description is for two diagonal reels of three
> danced at the same time.
> One reel by 1st & 2nd ladies with 3rd man and the other by the other
> 3 dancers.
>
> The diagram shows the path for such reels quite clearly but it shows
> 3rd couple dancing
> the track in the opposite direction to the others and the arrows on
> the paths go in both directions.
>
> If 3rd couple dance in the direction indicated they will have to
> take evasive action every couple
> of steps, if they dance the same way as everyone else the dance
> still requires careful phrasing
> but the reels would feel more natural.
>
> Has anyone done the dance? Are there notes from TAC or elsewhere
> that discuss it?
>
> Thanks in anticipation
>
> Eddy West from Auckland NZ
>
> (as a footnote the dance was danced in 1958 when Mr & Mrs Arthur
> Miller left for
> Dunedin NZ so perhaps NZ's Islands were the isles in this case)

Angus & Puka Henry
DARWIN, AUSTRALIA
Website: <http://www.users.on.net/~anguka/>

The Road to the Isles by James Cosh

Message 55672 · RODERICK JOHNSTON · 11 Apr 2009 13:42:25 · Top

Unfortunately the Road to the Isles is , from this week, no longer tortuous and twisty. A straight, new road, now replaces it.  Perhaps we now need to change the dance to suit??? just joking

Rod
Fort William

A long time ago!    In case you do not get a more authoritative reply, when I taught it I ignored the wrong arrows and taught each reel with the long cross end to end being always from top and bottom and the cross through 2nd place being always on the way up.
1C pass each other on bars 2 &5, 3C on bars 3 & 6, and 2C on bars 4 & 7 (approximately; as you note, sensitive phrasing needed).  To assist the phrasing I taught 3C starting with a cast to provide the slight delay need and finishing looping round to complete their figure of eight at the end which gave them sufficient impetus to get out of the way of 2nd couple on their way home to the top, and 1C also completing their figure of eight by dancing down inside 2C as 2C dance up to top.
I cannot remember how I had 1C finishing, but current usage would require them to loop in to 2nd place, which fits well.

Hope this is of some help.

Angus

On 11-04-2009, at 8:32, Eddy West wrote:

> I have been looking at this dance today and am puzzled by the figure for the first 8 bars.
> At first sight the description is for two diagonal reels of three danced at the same time.
> One reel by 1st & 2nd ladies with 3rd man and the other by the other 3 dancers.
>
> The diagram shows the path for such reels quite clearly but it shows 3rd couple dancing
> the track in the opposite direction to the others and the arrows on the paths go in both directions.
>
> If 3rd couple dance in the direction indicated they will have to take evasive action every couple
> of steps, if they dance the same way as everyone else the dance still requires careful phrasing
> but the reels would feel more natural.
>
> Has anyone done the dance? Are there notes from TAC or elsewhere that discuss it?
>
> Thanks in anticipation
>
> Eddy West from Auckland NZ
>
> (as a footnote the dance was danced in 1958 when Mr & Mrs Arthur Miller left for
> Dunedin NZ so perhaps NZ's Islands were the isles in this case)

Angus & Puka Henry
DARWIN, AUSTRALIA
Website: <http://www.users.on.net/~anguka/>

The Road to the Isles by James Cosh

Message 55673 · sylvie.lecharpentier · 11 Apr 2009 13:52:26 · Top

no problem to suit for some of our dancers. They reel straight away !
Sylvie

Unfortunately the Road to the Isles is , from this week, no longer tortuous and twisty. A straight, new road, now replaces it. Perhaps we now need to change the dance to suit??? just joking

Rod
Fort William

A long time ago! In case you do not get a more authoritative reply, when I taught it I ignored the wrong arrows and taught each reel with the long cross end to end being always from top and bottom and the cross through 2nd place being always on the way up.
1C pass each other on bars 2 &5, 3C on bars 3 & 6, and 2C on bars 4 & 7 (approximately; as you note, sensitive phrasing needed). To assist the phrasing I taught 3C starting with a cast to provide the slight delay need and finishing looping round to complete their figure of eight at the end which gave them sufficient impetus to get out of the way of 2nd couple on their way home to the top, and 1C also completing their figure of eight by dancing down inside 2C as 2C dance up to top.
I cannot remember how I had 1C finishing, but current usage would require them to loop in to 2nd place, which fits well.

Hope this is of some help.

Angus

On 11-04-2009, at 8:32, Eddy West wrote:

> I have been looking at this dance today and am puzzled by the figure for the first 8 bars.
> At first sight the description is for two diagonal reels of three danced at the same time.
> One reel by 1st & 2nd ladies with 3rd man and the other by the other 3 dancers.
>
> The diagram shows the path for such reels quite clearly but it shows 3rd couple dancing
> the track in the opposite direction to the others and the arrows on the paths go in both directions.
>
> If 3rd couple dance in the direction indicated they will have to take evasive action every couple
> of steps, if they dance the same way as everyone else the dance still requires careful phrasing
> but the reels would feel more natural.
>
> Has anyone done the dance? Are there notes from TAC or elsewhere that discuss it?
>
> Thanks in anticipation
>
> Eddy West from Auckland NZ
>
> (as a footnote the dance was danced in 1958 when Mr & Mrs Arthur Miller left for
> Dunedin NZ so perhaps NZ's Islands were the isles in this case)

Angus & Puka Henry
DARWIN, AUSTRALIA
Website: <http://www.users.on.net/~anguka/>

The Road to the Isles by James Cosh

Message 55680 · Eddy West · 11 Apr 2009 21:49:02 · Top

Thank you Angus for your notes and others for the additional
information/comments.

Regards

Eddy West, Auckland nz