strathspey Archive: A slightly larger tune request than last time...

A slightly larger tune request than last time...

Message 55577 · Phill Jones · 31 Mar 2009 22:33:15 · Top

Hi,

I am booked to play a weekend soon and am struggling to find an much higher number of tunes than normal (the group in question who will not be named, other than it is on one of the larger inhabited Channel Islands and not Jersey, always have slightly more unique programmes than I normally find elsewhere and this occasion is no different). These are the most 'unfamiliar' dance programmes I have seen across two evenings in fifteen years of playing for dancing and I hope somebody might be able to help me here. Although I hope it does not start quite the same deep discussion that me spelling a tune name wrong and mentioning Langholm Fair (which has been a favourite dance of mine for over twenty years BTW) caused a couple of weeks ago.

So, I have got three lists of dances/tunes to run by you...

Dances with no set tune (can someone confirm this is right, please)
-----------------------

Cranberry Tart, The (8x32J)
Crossing the Line (6x32R)
Fire in the Rye (6x32R)
Lady Peak's Strathspey (8x32S)
Silver Penny Farthing, The (3x32R)
Sueno's Stone (8x32R)

Dances I know the tune for but can't find

Nessie's Neuk (8x40R) Nessie's Neuk
Red Ghillies (4x40R) Raisin' a Stour
Sloane Square (64S) Howard Steventon's Strathspey

Dances I cannot even find in DanceData so have no idea whether they have tunes

Blue Footed Boobies, The (4x32S)
Pump Rooms, The (8x32R)
Senior Citizen's Reel, The (5x32R)

Many thanks to anyone who is able to help.

Kind regards,
Phill
Ely, UK

p.s. to settle any doubt that might still exist around whether dancers notice when the band changes tunes at the wrong time... RSCDS York & N. Humberside Branch do! Every single one of the seemed to notice from where I was sat going wrong! Thanks Malcolm, Helen & co. ;o)

A slightly larger tune request than last time...

Message 55579 · Lara Friedman-Shedlov · 31 Mar 2009 22:57:44 · Top

The Blue-Footed Boobies is a John Drewry Dance from the Bankhead Book part
6. It *is* in DanceData (http://my.strathspey.org/dd/dance/8345/), but you
may not have found it because of the hyphen (DanceData isn't very forgiving
of the presence/absence of things like hyphens and apostrophes). Anyway,
DanceData doesn't give a tune and I don't have the book at hand, so I can't
check at the moment.

/ Lara

*****************************
Lara Friedman~Shedlov
lfriedmanshedlov@gmail.com

*****************************

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 3:33 PM, Phill Jones <phill@squeezypiano.co.uk>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am booked to play a weekend soon and am struggling to find an much higher
> number of tunes than normal (the group in question who will not be named,
> other than it is on one of the larger inhabited Channel Islands and not
> Jersey, always have slightly more unique programmes than I normally find
> elsewhere and this occasion is no different). These are the most
> 'unfamiliar' dance programmes I have seen across two evenings in fifteen
> years of playing for dancing and I hope somebody might be able to help me
> here. Although I hope it does not start quite the same deep discussion that
> me spelling a tune name wrong and mentioning Langholm Fair (which has been a
> favourite dance of mine for over twenty years BTW) caused a couple of weeks
> ago.
>
> So, I have got three lists of dances/tunes to run by you...
>

> Dances with no set tune (can someone confirm this is right, please)
> -----------------------
>
> Cranberry Tart, The (8x32J)
> Crossing the Line (6x32R)
> Fire in the Rye (6x32R)
> Lady Peak's Strathspey (8x32S)
> Silver Penny Farthing, The (3x32R)
> Sueno's Stone (8x32R)
>

> Dances I know the tune for but can't find
>
> Nessie's Neuk (8x40R) Nessie's Neuk
> Red Ghillies (4x40R) Raisin' a Stour
> Sloane Square (64S) Howard Steventon's Strathspey
>

> Dances I cannot even find in DanceData so have no idea whether they have
> tunes

> Blue Footed Boobies, The (4x32S)
> Pump Rooms, The (8x32R)
> Senior Citizen's Reel, The (5x32R)
>

> Many thanks to anyone who is able to help.
>
> Kind regards,
> Phill
> Ely, UK
>
> p.s. to settle any doubt that might still exist around whether dancers
> notice when the band changes tunes at the wrong time... RSCDS York & N.
> Humberside Branch do! Every single one of the seemed to notice from where I
> was sat going wrong! Thanks Malcolm, Helen & co. ;o)

A slightly larger tune request than last time...

Message 55580 · Phill Jones · 31 Mar 2009 23:03:41 · Top

Aha, the hyphen! DOH! Thanks for the info, a not having a tune means I don't need to try finding it.

Many thanks,
Phill

The Blue-Footed Boobies is a John Drewry Dance from the Bankhead Book part
6. It *is* in DanceData (http://my.strathspey.org/dd/dance/8345/), but you
may not have found it because of the hyphen (DanceData isn't very forgiving
of the presence/absence of things like hyphens and apostrophes). Anyway,
DanceData doesn't give a tune and I don't have the book at hand, so I can't
check at the moment.

/ Lara

*****************************
Lara Friedman~Shedlov
lfriedmanshedlov@gmail.com

*****************************

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 3:33 PM, Phill Jones <phill@squeezypiano.co.uk>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am booked to play a weekend soon and am struggling to find an much higher
> number of tunes than normal (the group in question who will not be named,
> other than it is on one of the larger inhabited Channel Islands and not
> Jersey, always have slightly more unique programmes than I normally find
> elsewhere and this occasion is no different). These are the most
> 'unfamiliar' dance programmes I have seen across two evenings in fifteen
> years of playing for dancing and I hope somebody might be able to help me
> here. Although I hope it does not start quite the same deep discussion that
> me spelling a tune name wrong and mentioning Langholm Fair (which has been a
> favourite dance of mine for over twenty years BTW) caused a couple of weeks
> ago.
>
> So, I have got three lists of dances/tunes to run by you...
>

> Dances with no set tune (can someone confirm this is right, please)
> -----------------------
>
> Cranberry Tart, The (8x32J)
> Crossing the Line (6x32R)
> Fire in the Rye (6x32R)
> Lady Peak's Strathspey (8x32S)
> Silver Penny Farthing, The (3x32R)
> Sueno's Stone (8x32R)
>

> Dances I know the tune for but can't find
>
> Nessie's Neuk (8x40R) Nessie's Neuk
> Red Ghillies (4x40R) Raisin' a Stour
> Sloane Square (64S) Howard Steventon's Strathspey
>

> Dances I cannot even find in DanceData so have no idea whether they have
> tunes

> Blue Footed Boobies, The (4x32S)
> Pump Rooms, The (8x32R)
> Senior Citizen's Reel, The (5x32R)
>

> Many thanks to anyone who is able to help.
>
> Kind regards,
> Phill
> Ely, UK
>
> p.s. to settle any doubt that might still exist around whether dancers
> notice when the band changes tunes at the wrong time... RSCDS York & N.
> Humberside Branch do! Every single one of the seemed to notice from where I
> was sat going wrong! Thanks Malcolm, Helen & co. ;o)

A slightly larger tune request than last time...

Message 55584 · Chris Ronald · 1 Apr 2009 00:14:20 · Top

> "Anyway, DanceData doesn't give a tune and I don't have the book at hand,
> so I can't
> check at the moment.
> / Lara"

No tune is given in my copy of Bankhead Book Part 6.

Chris, New York.

A slightly larger tune request than last time...

Message 55581 · Margaret Lambourne · 31 Mar 2009 23:32:33 · Top

Sueno's Stone is in the last RSCDS leaflet "4 dances for 2008" and
the tune is included - Craigieford bu Dennis Morrison.

The Cranberry Tart - music is a lively jig.

Lady Peak's Strathspey is also a Drewry dance - Green burn Bk 2 with
no specified tune. I think Crossing the Line is also a Drewry dance -
just checked - Bankhead 6 - 3 couple set 6x32 hornpipe - no specified
tune.

Fire in the Rye is devised by Elizabeth Weiss Ozorak and recorded on
the Music Makars Jig for Joy CD with a traditional reel for the lead
tune.

That's all I can help you with, Phill.

Margaret Lambourne,
Nieuwegein, The Netherlands

On Mar 31, 2009, at 10:33 PM, Phill Jones wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am booked to play a weekend soon and am struggling to find an
> much higher number of tunes than normal (the group in question who
> will not be named, other than it is on one of the larger inhabited
> Channel Islands and not Jersey, always have slightly more unique
> programmes than I normally find elsewhere and this occasion is no
> different). These are the most 'unfamiliar' dance programmes I
> have seen across two evenings in fifteen years of playing for
> dancing and I hope somebody might be able to help me here.
> Although I hope it does not start quite the same deep discussion
> that me spelling a tune name wrong and mentioning Langholm Fair
> (which has been a favourite dance of mine for over twenty years
> BTW) caused a couple of weeks ago.
>
> So, I have got three lists of dances/tunes to run by you...
>

> Dances with no set tune (can someone confirm this is right, please)
> -----------------------
>
> Cranberry Tart, The (8x32J)
> Crossing the Line (6x32R)
> Fire in the Rye (6x32R)
> Lady Peak's Strathspey (8x32S)
> Silver Penny Farthing, The (3x32R)
> Sueno's Stone (8x32R)
>

> Dances I know the tune for but can't find
>
> Nessie's Neuk (8x40R) Nessie's Neuk
> Red Ghillies (4x40R) Raisin' a Stour
> Sloane Square (64S) Howard Steventon's Strathspey
>

> Dances I cannot even find in DanceData so have no idea whether they
> have tunes
> --------
>
> Blue Footed Boobies, The (4x32S)
> Pump Rooms, The (8x32R)
> Senior Citizen's Reel, The (5x32R)
>

> Many thanks to anyone who is able to help.
>
> Kind regards,
> Phill
> Ely, UK
>
> p.s. to settle any doubt that might still exist around whether
> dancers notice when the band changes tunes at the wrong time...
> RSCDS York & N. Humberside Branch do! Every single one of the
> seemed to notice from where I was sat going wrong! Thanks Malcolm,
> Helen & co. ;o)

A slightly larger tune request than last time...

Message 55587 · Phill Jones · 1 Apr 2009 00:56:33 · Top

Hi Margaret,

Thanks for the information. I think I must have missed out on the latest leaflet from RSCDS, probably through moving house recently. Glad to know that one is not as 'unknown' as I originally thought.

Kind regards,
Phill

Sueno's Stone is in the last RSCDS leaflet "4 dances for 2008" and
the tune is included - Craigieford bu Dennis Morrison.

The Cranberry Tart - music is a lively jig.

Lady Peak's Strathspey is also a Drewry dance - Green burn Bk 2 with
no specified tune. I think Crossing the Line is also a Drewry dance -
just checked - Bankhead 6 - 3 couple set 6x32 hornpipe - no specified
tune.

Fire in the Rye is devised by Elizabeth Weiss Ozorak and recorded on
the Music Makars Jig for Joy CD with a traditional reel for the lead
tune.

That's all I can help you with, Phill.

Margaret Lambourne,
Nieuwegein, The Netherlands

On Mar 31, 2009, at 10:33 PM, Phill Jones wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am booked to play a weekend soon and am struggling to find an
> much higher number of tunes than normal (the group in question who
> will not be named, other than it is on one of the larger inhabited
> Channel Islands and not Jersey, always have slightly more unique
> programmes than I normally find elsewhere and this occasion is no
> different). These are the most 'unfamiliar' dance programmes I
> have seen across two evenings in fifteen years of playing for
> dancing and I hope somebody might be able to help me here.
> Although I hope it does not start quite the same deep discussion
> that me spelling a tune name wrong and mentioning Langholm Fair
> (which has been a favourite dance of mine for over twenty years
> BTW) caused a couple of weeks ago.
>
> So, I have got three lists of dances/tunes to run by you...
>

> Dances with no set tune (can someone confirm this is right, please)
> -----------------------
>
> Cranberry Tart, The (8x32J)
> Crossing the Line (6x32R)
> Fire in the Rye (6x32R)
> Lady Peak's Strathspey (8x32S)
> Silver Penny Farthing, The (3x32R)
> Sueno's Stone (8x32R)
>

> Dances I know the tune for but can't find
>
> Nessie's Neuk (8x40R) Nessie's Neuk
> Red Ghillies (4x40R) Raisin' a Stour
> Sloane Square (64S) Howard Steventon's Strathspey
>

> Dances I cannot even find in DanceData so have no idea whether they
> have tunes
> --------
>
> Blue Footed Boobies, The (4x32S)
> Pump Rooms, The (8x32R)
> Senior Citizen's Reel, The (5x32R)
>

> Many thanks to anyone who is able to help.
>
> Kind regards,
> Phill
> Ely, UK
>
> p.s. to settle any doubt that might still exist around whether
> dancers notice when the band changes tunes at the wrong time...
> RSCDS York & N. Humberside Branch do! Every single one of the
> seemed to notice from where I was sat going wrong! Thanks Malcolm,
> Helen & co. ;o)

A slightly larger tune request than last time...

Message 55582 · Meinhard Reiser · 31 Mar 2009 23:37:03 · Top

Hi Phill,
Crossing the Line - B. Skelton: Suitable music: Jenny's Bawbee
Fire in the Rye - The Music Makars on Jig for Joy begin with Traditional
Reel
Lady Peak's Strathspey - Colin Dewar on sp. request begin with Kinlochmore
The Sueno Stone - Tune: Craigieford, RSCDS Four Dances 2008
Kind Regards
Meinhard
Stuttgart Germany

Phill Jones schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> I am booked to play a weekend soon and am struggling to find an much higher number of tunes than normal (the group in question who will not be named, other than it is on one of the larger inhabited Channel Islands and not Jersey, always have slightly more unique programmes than I normally find elsewhere and this occasion is no different). These are the most 'unfamiliar' dance programmes I have seen across two evenings in fifteen years of playing for dancing and I hope somebody might be able to help me here. Although I hope it does not start quite the same deep discussion that me spelling a tune name wrong and mentioning Langholm Fair (which has been a favourite dance of mine for over twenty years BTW) caused a couple of weeks ago.
>
> So, I have got three lists of dances/tunes to run by you...
>

> Dances with no set tune (can someone confirm this is right, please)
> -----------------------
>
> Cranberry Tart, The (8x32J)
> Crossing the Line (6x32R)
> Fire in the Rye (6x32R)
> Lady Peak's Strathspey (8x32S)
> Silver Penny Farthing, The (3x32R)
> Sueno's Stone (8x32R)
>

> Dances I know the tune for but can't find
>
> Nessie's Neuk (8x40R) Nessie's Neuk
> Red Ghillies (4x40R) Raisin' a Stour
> Sloane Square (64S) Howard Steventon's Strathspey
>

> Dances I cannot even find in DanceData so have no idea whether they have tunes
>
> Blue Footed Boobies, The (4x32S)
> Pump Rooms, The (8x32R)
> Senior Citizen's Reel, The (5x32R)
>

> Many thanks to anyone who is able to help.
>
> Kind regards,
> Phill
> Ely, UK
>
> p.s. to settle any doubt that might still exist around whether dancers notice when the band changes tunes at the wrong time... RSCDS York & N. Humberside Branch do! Every single one of the seemed to notice from where I was sat going wrong! Thanks Malcolm, Helen & co. ;o)

A slightly larger tune request than last time...

Message 55583 · Margaret Lambourne · 31 Mar 2009 23:48:46 · Top

I found 1 more. Sloane Square is in the London RSCDS Jubilee Book
from 1979 I have the tune if you need it scanned and sent.

I have also the Pensioner's Reel in Skye Bk 2 which is 8x32 not the
Senior Citizen's Reel which you say is 5z32. Could they be the same?

Margaret

On Mar 31, 2009, at 10:33 PM, Phill Jones wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am booked to play a weekend soon and am struggling to find an
> much higher number of tunes than normal (the group in question who
> will not be named, other than it is on one of the larger inhabited
> Channel Islands and not Jersey, always have slightly more unique
> programmes than I normally find elsewhere and this occasion is no
> different). These are the most 'unfamiliar' dance programmes I
> have seen across two evenings in fifteen years of playing for
> dancing and I hope somebody might be able to help me here.
> Although I hope it does not start quite the same deep discussion
> that me spelling a tune name wrong and mentioning Langholm Fair
> (which has been a favourite dance of mine for over twenty years
> BTW) caused a couple of weeks ago.
>
> So, I have got three lists of dances/tunes to run by you...
>

> Dances with no set tune (can someone confirm this is right, please)
> -----------------------
>
> Cranberry Tart, The (8x32J)
> Crossing the Line (6x32R)
> Fire in the Rye (6x32R)
> Lady Peak's Strathspey (8x32S)
> Silver Penny Farthing, The (3x32R)
> Sueno's Stone (8x32R)
>

> Dances I know the tune for but can't find
>
> Nessie's Neuk (8x40R) Nessie's Neuk
> Red Ghillies (4x40R) Raisin' a Stour
> Sloane Square (64S) Howard Steventon's Strathspey
>

> Dances I cannot even find in DanceData so have no idea whether they
> have tunes
> --------
>
> Blue Footed Boobies, The (4x32S)
> Pump Rooms, The (8x32R)
> Senior Citizen's Reel, The (5x32R)
>

> Many thanks to anyone who is able to help.
>
> Kind regards,
> Phill
> Ely, UK
>
> p.s. to settle any doubt that might still exist around whether
> dancers notice when the band changes tunes at the wrong time...
> RSCDS York & N. Humberside Branch do! Every single one of the
> seemed to notice from where I was sat going wrong! Thanks Malcolm,
> Helen & co. ;o)

A slightly larger tune request than last time...

Message 55588 · Phill Jones · 1 Apr 2009 01:00:40 · Top

Hi Margaret,

Thank you for the information. I am not sure about the senior dance but if you have the music for Sloane Square available I would very much appreciate a scanned copy if it is no trouble.

Many thanks,
Phill

I found 1 more. Sloane Square is in the London RSCDS Jubilee Book
from 1979 I have the tune if you need it scanned and sent.

I have also the Pensioner's Reel in Skye Bk 2 which is 8x32 not the
Senior Citizen's Reel which you say is 5z32. Could they be the same?

Margaret

On Mar 31, 2009, at 10:33 PM, Phill Jones wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am booked to play a weekend soon and am struggling to find an
> much higher number of tunes than normal (the group in question who
> will not be named, other than it is on one of the larger inhabited
> Channel Islands and not Jersey, always have slightly more unique
> programmes than I normally find elsewhere and this occasion is no
> different). These are the most 'unfamiliar' dance programmes I
> have seen across two evenings in fifteen years of playing for
> dancing and I hope somebody might be able to help me here.
> Although I hope it does not start quite the same deep discussion
> that me spelling a tune name wrong and mentioning Langholm Fair
> (which has been a favourite dance of mine for over twenty years
> BTW) caused a couple of weeks ago.
>
> So, I have got three lists of dances/tunes to run by you...
>

> Dances with no set tune (can someone confirm this is right, please)
> -----------------------
>
> Cranberry Tart, The (8x32J)
> Crossing the Line (6x32R)
> Fire in the Rye (6x32R)
> Lady Peak's Strathspey (8x32S)
> Silver Penny Farthing, The (3x32R)
> Sueno's Stone (8x32R)
>

> Dances I know the tune for but can't find
>
> Nessie's Neuk (8x40R) Nessie's Neuk
> Red Ghillies (4x40R) Raisin' a Stour
> Sloane Square (64S) Howard Steventon's Strathspey
>

> Dances I cannot even find in DanceData so have no idea whether they
> have tunes
> --------
>
> Blue Footed Boobies, The (4x32S)
> Pump Rooms, The (8x32R)
> Senior Citizen's Reel, The (5x32R)
>

> Many thanks to anyone who is able to help.
>
> Kind regards,
> Phill
> Ely, UK
>
> p.s. to settle any doubt that might still exist around whether
> dancers notice when the band changes tunes at the wrong time...
> RSCDS York & N. Humberside Branch do! Every single one of the
> seemed to notice from where I was sat going wrong! Thanks Malcolm,
> Helen & co. ;o)

A slightly larger tune request than last time...

Message 55585 · Margaret Lambourne · 1 Apr 2009 00:16:40 · Top

Meinhard suggested Crossing the Line was by Barry Skelton. He did
devise a dance called that in The Dolphin Book but it is a 4x24
Strathspey not a 6x32 Reel or Hornpipe as the instructions state.

Margaret

On Mar 31, 2009, at 10:33 PM, Phill Jones wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am booked to play a weekend soon and am struggling to find an
> much higher number of tunes than normal (the group in question who
> will not be named, other than it is on one of the larger inhabited
> Channel Islands and not Jersey, always have slightly more unique
> programmes than I normally find elsewhere and this occasion is no
> different). These are the most 'unfamiliar' dance programmes I
> have seen across two evenings in fifteen years of playing for
> dancing and I hope somebody might be able to help me here.
> Although I hope it does not start quite the same deep discussion
> that me spelling a tune name wrong and mentioning Langholm Fair
> (which has been a favourite dance of mine for over twenty years
> BTW) caused a couple of weeks ago.
>
> So, I have got three lists of dances/tunes to run by you...
>

> Dances with no set tune (can someone confirm this is right, please)
> -----------------------
>
> Cranberry Tart, The (8x32J)
> Crossing the Line (6x32R)
> Fire in the Rye (6x32R)
> Lady Peak's Strathspey (8x32S)
> Silver Penny Farthing, The (3x32R)
> Sueno's Stone (8x32R)
>

> Dances I know the tune for but can't find
>
> Nessie's Neuk (8x40R) Nessie's Neuk
> Red Ghillies (4x40R) Raisin' a Stour
> Sloane Square (64S) Howard Steventon's Strathspey
>

> Dances I cannot even find in DanceData so have no idea whether they
> have tunes
> --------
>
> Blue Footed Boobies, The (4x32S)
> Pump Rooms, The (8x32R)
> Senior Citizen's Reel, The (5x32R)
>

> Many thanks to anyone who is able to help.
>
> Kind regards,
> Phill
> Ely, UK
>
> p.s. to settle any doubt that might still exist around whether
> dancers notice when the band changes tunes at the wrong time...
> RSCDS York & N. Humberside Branch do! Every single one of the
> seemed to notice from where I was sat going wrong! Thanks Malcolm,
> Helen & co. ;o)

A slightly larger tune request than last time...

Message 55586 · Bruce Herbold · 1 Apr 2009 00:27:10 · Top

and the Crossing the Line reel is by John Drewry and I have done it and it
is (I believe) in the WGB -- so I would expect that that is the one on the
program. Although given that program, anything is possible.

Bruce Herbold
San Francisco

--
Bruce Herbold

A slightly larger tune request than last time...

Message 55589 · George Meikle · 1 Apr 2009 00:59:52 · Top

Private reply sent

George Meikle
Lothian Scottish Dance Band
37 Pandora Way
Uddingston
Glasgow
G71 6QL

Mobile - 07710 471832
Email - george.meikle@btinternet.com

[...]

Message 55590 · Rosemary Coupe · 1 Apr 2009 03:33:13 · Top

Calum MacKinnon's tune for Nessie's Neuk (40 bars, ABABA) is published with
the dance in the Vancouver Branch 40th anniversary collection (2004). I
could scan a copy for you if you wish. Dianne Evans of Oak Harbor WA would
be delighted to know that her dance has travelled to the Channel Islands.

I'm impressed by your conscientiousness. Many musicians would use 'any good
X' set for these relatively obscure dances.

Rosemary Coupe
Vancouver

[...]

Message 55596 · Etienne Ozorak · 1 Apr 2009 14:18:40 · Top

I do have music for Fire in the Rye (the tune is titled: Billy in the
Lowground) and Sueno's Stone. I can also scan and send.

Etienne Ozorak
Meadville, PA USA

At 09:33 PM 3/31/2009, you wrote:
>Calum MacKinnon's tune for Nessie's Neuk (40 bars, ABABA) is
>published with the dance in the Vancouver Branch 40th anniversary
>collection (2004). I could scan a copy for you if you wish. Dianne
>Evans of Oak Harbor WA would be delighted to know that her dance has
>travelled to the Channel Islands.
>
>I'm impressed by your conscientiousness. Many musicians would use
>'any good X' set for these relatively obscure dances.
>
>Rosemary Coupe
>Vancouver
>
>----- Original Message ----- From: "Phill Jones" <phill@squeezypiano.co.uk>

Message 55600 · Phill Jones · 1 Apr 2009 15:05:00 · Top

Hi Etienne,

If you are able to send the music for Fire in the Rye that would be very appreciated, thanks you. I have already received the tune for Sueno's Stone.

Many thanks,
Phill

At 09:33 PM 3/31/2009, you wrote:
>Calum MacKinnon's tune for Nessie's Neuk (40 bars, ABABA) is
>published with the dance in the Vancouver Branch 40th anniversary
>collection (2004). I could scan a copy for you if you wish. Dianne
>Evans of Oak Harbor WA would be delighted to know that her dance has
>travelled to the Channel Islands.
>
>I'm impressed by your conscientiousness. Many musicians would use
>'any good X' set for these relatively obscure dances.
>
>Rosemary Coupe
>Vancouver
>
>----- Original Message ----- From: "Phill Jones" <phill@squeezypiano.co.uk>

Message 55601 · Etienne Ozorak · 1 Apr 2009 15:40:55 · Top

Hi,

You can find the tune here: www.philpassen.com/pdfs/Billy.pdf
This is what we recorded for Fire in the Rye with one major
exception. We swapped the A and B parts, which means we played the tune BBAA.

You can hear this at:
http://www.allcelticmusic.com/music/b5876b7a-58b2-102c-803f-000f1f67beb1/Jig_For_Joy.html

let me know if you have any problems.
Etienne

At 09:05 AM 4/1/2009, you wrote:
>Hi Etienne,
>
>If you are able to send the music for Fire in the Rye that would be
>very appreciated, thanks you. I have already received the tune for
>Sueno's Stone.
>
>Many thanks,
>Phill
>

>Please consider the environment before printing this email.

new RSCDS magazine

Message 55641 · nachteule7 · 8 Apr 2009 18:08:42 · Top

Yesterday I received my copy of the new spring edition of the RSCDS magazine, and this morning a had a bit of time for a closer look. It includes a leaflet with 5 new dances (with music). One of it is a quite nice strathspey called "Fiona's Valentine" (if I remember the title right) written by Linda Gaul. She taught it at the dayschool in Essen in Januar 09, and we all liked it very much.

I was positive surprised to read that RSCDS has plans to publish a new book of dances in 2010 and asks branches and SCD teachers to submit succesful tried out dances for this project. Deadline is in early September 2009

Wish you all a lovely Easer Weekend!

Martina

Martina Mueller-Franz
Langenfeld / Germany

Nachteule7@aol.com
www.central-germany.rscds.net
skype: strathspey64

AOL eMail auf Ihrem Handy! Ab sofort k?nnen Sie auch unterwegs Ihre AOL email abrufen. Registrieren Sie sich jetzt kostenlos.

new RSCDS magazine

Message 55644 · Martin Campoveja · 8 Apr 2009 20:49:35 · Top

2009/4/8 <nachteule7@aol.com> Martine wrote :

I was positive surprised to read that RSCDS has plans to publish a new book
> of dances in 2010 and asks branches and SCD teachers to submit succesful
> tried out dances for this project.

Were there not enough dances submitted for Homecoming already?
Or were they all so poorly constructed that they went straight to the bin?

Do they really think that ever more reshuffling of the same old figures is
necessary?

Martin

new RSCDS magazine

Message 55645 · Anselm Lingnau · 8 Apr 2009 22:36:47 · Top

Martin Sheffield wrote:

> Were there not enough dances submitted for Homecoming already?
> Or were they all so poorly constructed that they went straight to the bin?

Considering the fact that the Homecoming competition specifically asked for
simple 32-bar reels, a whole book of simple 32-bar reels might not live up to
the standard of variety and pizazz that we are used to in Society books :^) I
personally wouldn't mind the odd jig or strathspey, or even 40-bar reel.

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Friedberg, Germany ..................... anselm@strathspey.org
There are two kinds of fool. One says »This is old, and therefore good.« And

Home coming dances

Message 55646 · Pia Walker · 9 Apr 2009 00:03:07 · Top

Considering that this message was eaten by Strathspey (or Anselm :>) the
first time, I hereby reiterate:

If anyone has dances with the Homecoming theme (not necessarily reels) and
would like to have them published in Dance on!, Karin and I am putting the
next issue to bed soon and am looking for 3-4 more, so send them in to me
a.s.a.p - yesterday will do of course.

Pia
> Were there not enough dances submitted for Homecoming already?
> Or were they all so poorly constructed that they went straight to the bin?

Considering the fact that the Homecoming competition specifically asked for
simple 32-bar reels, a whole book of simple 32-bar reels might not live up
the standard of variety and pizazz that we are used to in Society books :^)
personally wouldn't mind the odd jig or strathspey, or even 40-bar reel.

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Friedberg, Germany .....................
anselm@strathspey.org
There are two kinds of fool. One says »This is old, and therefore good.« And
one says, »This is new, and therefore better«.
-- John Brunner, _The Shockwave
Rider_

new RSCDS magazine

Message 55659 · Denise Smith · 10 Apr 2009 02:36:44 · Top

Ours magazine arrived in sunny Brisbane yesterday - unbelievable after the
difficulty we had getting the last one.
As for those dances we are trialling, ours were really awful as well. Our
dancers were bemused to say the least.

--
Denise Smith
76 Celandine St

new RSCDS magazine

Message 55660 · Monica Pollard · 10 Apr 2009 03:42:22 · Top

Mine arrived today, no problems.

Monica Pollard
Nampa, ID

--
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a
horrible warning."

A slightly larger tune request than last time...

Message 55591 · mlamontbrown · 1 Apr 2009 11:23:22 · Top

Phill wrote:

> p.s. to settle any doubt that might still exist around whether dancers notice when
the band >changes tunes at the wrong time... RSCDS York & N. Humberside Branch do!
Every single >one of them seemed to notice from where I was sat going wrong!
>Thanks Malcolm, Helen & co. ;o)

To be fair to Phill, he noticed as soon as it happened, and we didn't really need to
tell him.

Malcolm

Malcolm L Brown
York (UK)

pas de basque

Message 55592 · Pia Walker · 1 Apr 2009 11:46:50 · Top

I have today heard that the RSCDS is considering a move to the two-beat pdb
in order to attract more members. It would be interesting to hear what
Strathspey thinks of this.

Pia
Cupar, Fife, Scotland

pas de basque

Message 55593 · campbell · 1 Apr 2009 11:49:29 · Top

Pia, I think you are giving us an April fool's joke. If not, you have a lot
of explaining to do for this Strathspeyer.

Campbell Tyler
Cape Town

I have today heard that the RSCDS is considering a move to the two-beat pdb
in order to attract more members. It would be interesting to hear what
Strathspey thinks of this.

Pia
Cupar, Fife, Scotland

Internal Virus Database is out of date.
07:04:00

pas de basque

Message 55594 · suepetyt · 1 Apr 2009 11:51:18 · Top

April Fool!!!!

Happy Dancing
Sue Petyt
Lochmaben

I have today heard that the RSCDS is considering a move to the two-beat pdb
in order to attract more members. It would be interesting to hear what
Strathspey thinks of this.

Pia
Cupar, Fife, Scotland

pas de basque

Message 55595 · nachteule7 · 1 Apr 2009 12:04:31 · Top

But only for the 1st pf April every year. ;-)

From: "Pia" <pia@intamail.com>>
> I have today heard that the RSCDS is considering a move to the two-beat
> pdb
> in order to attract more members. It would be interesting to hear what
> Strathspey thinks of this.
>
> Pia
> Cupar, Fife, Scotland

A slightly larger tune request than last time...

Message 55604 · Peter Price · 1 Apr 2009 17:23:23 · Top

Phill,

For Cranberry Tart Terry Glasspool suggests using a "set of jigs" from
McBain's Band - tunes are The Drunken Parson/Pretty Jane/The Cobbler/Davies
Brae.

The first 16 bars of the dance is fugal: and the dancers are setting for 2,
then moving for 2, 1L starting the sequence 2 bars behind 1M.

*1M* *1L*
set wait
cast set
set cast