strathspey Archive: devisor/deviser

devisor/deviser

Message 5540 · Colleen Putt · 18 Nov 1996 00:14:07 · Top

I was somewhat bemused by the article wherein the writer put "(sic)"
after the word deviser in the letter about Mairi's Wedding. It seems
to be an Americanism (North Americanism?) to use "devisor" when we
speak about someone who puts together an original dance. The
dictionary makes a clear distinction between the two forms. The "er"
form refers to one who "...invents, contrives, plans..." whereas the
"or" form refers to one who "...transmits (real estate) by will...".
I know this is not the most important issue which confronts us in
SCD, but I've always wondered where the usage originates. (Can you
tell that I teach English and History?)

Cheers,
Colleen

devisor/deviser

Message 5548 · M.J.Norman · 18 Nov 1996 20:44:23 · Top

> I was somewhat bemused by the article wherein the writer put "(sic)"
>after the word deviser in the letter about Mairi's Wedding. It seems
>to be an Americanism (North Americanism?) to use "devisor" when we
>speak about someone who puts together an original dance. The
>dictionary makes a clear distinction between the two forms. The "er"
>form refers to one who "...invents, contrives, plans..." whereas the
>"or" form refers to one who "...transmits (real estate) by will...".
> I know this is not the most important issue which confronts us in
>SCD, but I've always wondered where the usage originates. (Can you
>tell that I teach English and History?)

Hi! :)

I've been lurking for about a month, but as an American-trained
teacher teaching in a British school, dealing almost weekly (it seems) with
differences in usage, Colleen's message touched on something I am rather
sensitive to.
I would be interested to hear (by direct email, so as to not cloud
the purported topic of this discussion group), if anyone knows anything
more regarding the devisor/er usage, just as a matter of personal
curiosity. My Collins (British) dictionary gives _both_ of the definitions
above for devise, and then lists 'deviser' as the noun. Interesting.

Monica Norman
mmnorman@macline.co.uk
Hants.

devisor/deviser

Message 5555 · Ian Price · 19 Nov 1996 02:22:47 · Top

> I've been lurking for about a month, but as an American-trained
>teacher teaching in a British school, dealing almost weekly (it seems) with
>differences in usage, Colleen's message touched on something I am rather
>sensitive to.
> I would be interested to hear (by direct email, so as to not cloud
>the purported topic of this discussion group), if anyone knows anything
>more regarding the devisor/er usage, just as a matter of personal
>curiosity. My Collins (British) dictionary gives _both_ of the definitions
>above for devise, and then lists 'deviser' as the noun. Interesting.

"DEVISER" is an American who removes a piece of work from a set of mechanical
jaws;
"DEVICER" is a Brit who does the same;
"DEVISOR" is the term used to remove the hinged-windshield from a motor-cycle
(or riot-squad) helmet;
"DIVISOR" is a number by which a dividend is divided;
"DIVISIVE" is a type of country dance in whose directions the word "meanwhile"
appears;
"DEVIOUS" is a similar word to describe the same thing;
"DEVOLUTION" is the only answer for Scotland.

Hope this makes things clearer :-)

"Let's call the whole thing off" - Fred Astaire

-2chter

devisor/deviser

Message 5605 · Colleen Putt · 21 Nov 1996 04:34:31 · Top

Love it! It's de-lightful, de-licious, de-limit! And you're right,
'nuff said!

Colleen

devisor/deviser

Message 5607 · Zig1111 · 21 Nov 1996 08:31:06 · Top

i don't want you fucking mail

devisor/deviser from Zig1111

Message 5631 · David Ll. Hills · 22 Nov 1996 01:38:44 · Top

Greetings

At 01:30 -0500 96/11/21, Zig1111@aol.com wrote:

> i don't want you fucking mail

Who is Zig1111@aol.com?

Perhaps they will accept ordinary mail? or do they mean any sibling form:
snail fax, e, mail, or is this a succinct impuritan condemnation of an
uncommon "post"-sexual action?

I think we should be told.

All zest

*D

*David Hills [Opinions mostly mine own; facts are everybody's]
<dlh@radarsun.jpl.nasa.gov>
Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena CA 91109-8099, U S A
Tel: 818/354-8741 Fax: 818/393-4879

devisor/deviser from Zig1111

Message 5650 · FarMcTrav · 22 Nov 1996 21:47:49 · Top

<< Who is Zig1111@aol.com? >>

A search for a "profile" or more information for someone using this handle
returned no information.

Ken McFarland