strathspey Archive: Two Tunes

Two Tunes

Message 54845 · e.werner@ziggo.nl · 4 Feb 2009 19:38:41 · Top

Hi,
Does anyone perhaps have an original copy of these two tunes (with chords)?

- Shufflin' Samuel
- Whistling Rufus

Many thanks in advance!

Regards
Edwin Werner
Netherlands

Two Tunes

Message 54846 · Alasdair Graham · 4 Feb 2009 20:53:34 · Top

Edwin,

You will find Whistling Rufus in ABC notation on this site

http://www.ibiblio.org/fiddlers/WHI_WHZ.htm

At the top of the page is the link to the Converter where you paste the ABC
code in and it displays standard notation.
There are precise instructions there on what to copy and you must remember
to remove the extra line spaces after pasting in the ABC, for it to work.

Alasdair Graham
Dumbarton, Scotland.

From: Harry C. Ways [mailto:hways@ix.netcom.com]

The recording that I have is a 45 rpm disk by Jimmie Shand. Solo accordion
with instrumental accompaniment Shufflin' Samuel on one side and Whistling
Rufus on the other. Wistling Rufus is attributed to "Mills". Presumably the
publisher. The composer listed for Shufflin' Samuel is Felix Burns.

Harry Ways

Two Tunes

Message 54849 · Anselm Lingnau · 5 Feb 2009 00:32:09 · Top

e.werner@ziggo.nl wrote:

> - Whistling Rufus

I have a Dover Publications book called »Cakewalks, Two-Steps and Trots for
Solo Piano -- 34 Popular Works from the Dance-Craze Era«, edited by David A.
Jasen, which contains, among lots of similar stuff, a reproduction of the
original Whistling Rufus leaflet as published by F. A. Mills, music
publishers, in 1899 (the famous »year of the cakewalk«). (@Edwin: I'll try
and remember to bring this with me to the Kuckucksnest later this month.)

Concerning the lyrics for the song and their PC aspects there was a very long
thread on Strathspey way back in April, 1998, which you can find on
http://www.strathspey.org/list/strathspey/archive/thread/11694/ . The
interesting links in message no. 11725 by Mel Briscoe no longer work but if
you must look at the actual words (which I find very difficult to fit to the
music, but then again I never was a great singer) you can find them very
easily using Google.

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Friedberg, Germany ..................... anselm@strathspey.org
There are no significant bugs in our released software that any significant

Two Tunes

Message 54852 · Steven Epstein · 5 Feb 2009 07:10:30 · Top

Chambers has Whistling Rufus here:

http://ecf-guest.mit.edu/~jc/cgi/abc/tunefind?P=Rufus&find=FIND&m=title&W=wide&limit=1000&thresh=5

Steve Epstein