strathspey Archive: William Clement MBE

William Clement MBE

Message 54766 · John Chambers · 28 Jan 2009 20:24:32 · Top

A dance by this name has turned up on a program that I'm
playing for soon, and there seems to be no info about it in
the usual places. The only info is "unpublished leaflet",
which isn't much of a clue.

So is there a recommended tune for this dance? Or do people
here have any opinions about tunes that work well for it?

Needless to say, I sent a question to the dance leader. She
might even answer before the dance ... ;-)

I'm guessing from the name that pipe tunes would be rather
appropriate.

That does remind me of a musical joke I heard some years
ago: What's worse than having an accordion or bagpipe
player in your band? Answer: Having an accordion player
pretending to play a bagpipe. I usually play accordion for
SCD, and sometimes play a drone with pipe tunes, so I can
identify with this joke. I've passed this along to a lot of
other accordionists and pipers, who usually liked it. Then,
if they're not familiar with the name, I suggest they
listen to the music of Ad Vielle Que Pourra, a group from
Quebec that play not just accordions and bagpipes, but also
a hurdy gurdy. Their music is wonderful!

--
I ♡ Unicode

William Clement MBE

Message 54767 · Pia Walker · 28 Jan 2009 21:38:03 · Top

To the question:
What's worse than having an accordion or bagpipe
player in your band?

I was sure the answer was: having them play in your home? :>)

After all what do you also call a man with a bagpipe?

Homeless ?

Pia
Who like musicians a lot really :>)

William Clement MBE

Message 54769 · Anselm Lingnau · 28 Jan 2009 22:22:04 · Top

Pia wrote:

> To the question:
> What's worse than having an accordion or bagpipe
> player in your band?
>
> I was sure the answer was: having them play in your home? :>)

*I* was sure the answer was »Having an accordion *and* a bagpipe player in
your band«.

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Friedberg, Germany ..................... anselm@strathspey.org
Scriptures: The sacred books of our holy religion, as distinguished from the

William Clement MBE

Message 54776 · John Chambers · 29 Jan 2009 19:50:58 · Top

Anselm wrote:
| Pia wrote:
|
| > To the question:
| > What's worse than having an accordion or bagpipe player in your band?
| >
| > I was sure the answer was: having them play in your home? :>)
|
| *I* was sure the answer was =BBHaving an accordion *and* a bagpipe player in0
| your band

Well, it seems that several of the usual suspects liked the joke and
had their own answers to it, but nobody answered the question.
However, the local dance leader (Hi, Evelyn!) told me that the
recommended tune is a jig tune that Bill Clement wrote called "The
Royal Scottish Country Dance Society".

And again the trail grows stale. There is a strathspey.org entry for
the tune, but no comment on where it might be published. It refers me
to my own Tune Finder and the Fiddler's Companion site, neither of
which knows about the tune. As usual with hunting down tunes, google
isn't of much help. Anyone got a copy?

I'll probably go with a medley of "any good" pipe jigs, of which I
have a good number. I've been telling myself that I should get around
to learning The Curlew ...

--
I ♡ Unicode

William Clement MBE

Message 54777 · Anselm Lingnau · 29 Jan 2009 21:15:12 · Top

John Chambers wrote:

> Anyone got a copy?

I think there are two obvious approaches:

1. Ask George Meikle. He seems to have every tune that there is (and a few
extra on the side).

2. Ask the RSCDS. One might think that if Bill Clement writes them a tune
they might have a copy lying around somewhere. For all we know it may be
hanging over the fireplace in a gilt frame.

Given that you need the tune »soon«, method 1 seems more promising than method
2 -- but they aren't mutually exclusive.

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Friedberg, Germany ..................... anselm@strathspey.org
To be loved, be lovable. -- Ovid, _Ars_Amatoria_

William Clement MBE

Message 54778 · Pia Walker · 29 Jan 2009 22:04:04 · Top

Or send the original query to me, and I will forward it to Bill (sorry I
tidied up my in-box by hitting delete - so lost original entry).

Pia

I think there are two obvious approaches:

1. Ask George Meikle. He seems to have every tune that there is (and a few
extra on the side).

2. Ask the RSCDS. One might think that if Bill Clement writes them a tune
they might have a copy lying around somewhere. For all we know it may be
hanging over the fireplace in a gilt frame.

Given that you need the tune "soon", method 1 seems more promising than
method
2 -- but they aren't mutually exclusive.

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Friedberg, Germany .....................
anselm@strathspey.org
To be loved, be lovable. -- Ovid,
_Ars_Amatoria_

The Dancing Shepherds

Message 54779 · Christine Parker-Jones · 30 Jan 2009 10:04:42 · Top

Does anyone have the instructions for the above Jig or know where I can get them?

DanceData says it was devised by Aberdeen St Mark's Church and is published in Saint Marks Collection?

I am also looking to buy a copy of the Laurieston Collection for a copy of Scott Meikle but have been unable to track a copy down. Any suggestions?

Many thanks for any help

Yours
Christine

Christine Parker-Jones,