strathspey Archive: Scotch Mist: sidelines, yes, plus teaching mnemonic

Scotch Mist: sidelines, yes, plus teaching mnemonic

Message 54710 · Volleyballjerry · 23 Jan 2009 17:13:38 · Top

In a message dated 1/23/2009 7:02:58 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
francoscot@gmail.com writes:

but not to side lines, n'est-ce pas?

Martin
As Malcolm just pointed out in quoting Drewry's original instructions,
sidelines yes indeed, but as a pass-through without hesitation.

I have always taught the dance such that the "spine reel" should ideally end
in the sidelines, but as a point through which to pass without hesitation
and of course without facing directly inward. That's merely the ideal though;
it goes without saying that in a social setting those dancers with less of a
strathspey "reach" are going to shorten their track and not quite make it
to/through the sidelines as they transition to the next figure.

As a teaching mnemonic, as dancers are learning the dance and walking
through and pausing between figures, I have always had the dancing couples at the
beginning of their "spine reel" physically point with left hands to the open
space directly to their left and mentioned that that is the place to which
they are aiming in completing their reel.

Indeed a very lovely dance! If you don't know it, give yourself and your
dancers a treat and give it a try.

Robb Quint
Thousand Oaks, CA, USA

**************Inauguration '09: Get complete coverage from the nation's
capital. (http://news.aol.com/main/politics/inauguration?ncid=emlcntusnews00000003)

Scotch Mist: sidelines, yes, plus teaching mnemonic

Message 54712 · Bruce Herbold · 23 Jan 2009 17:24:11 · Top

now can someone explain why it exists only as a separate mimeographed
sheet and not in a publication currently available like Brody
Collection? Maybe he's saving it for Brody 2?

Bruce Herbold
San Francisco

--
Bruce Herbold

Scotch Mist: sidelines, yes, plus teaching mnemonic

Message 54713 · Andrew Buxton · 23 Jan 2009 17:38:36 · Top

Thanks for comments on this problem.

I'm relieved that someone hasn't said "read the XXXX book".  I did check my collection of Drewery books before asking the question.

Andrew

-----
Andrew Buxton
Lewes, East Sussex, UK

now can someone explain why it exists only as a separate mimeographed
sheet and not in a publication currently available like Brody
Collection? Maybe he's saving it for Brody 2?

Bruce Herbold
San Francisco

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 8:13 AM, <Volleyballjerry@aol.com> wrote:
> In a message dated 1/23/2009 7:02:58 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
> francoscot@gmail.com writes:
>
> but not to side lines, n'est-ce pas?
>
> Martin
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> As Malcolm just pointed out in quoting Drewry's original instructions,
> sidelines yes indeed, but as a pass-through without hesitation.
>
> I have always taught the dance such that the "spine reel" should
ideally end
> in the sidelines, but as a point through which to pass without hesitation
> and of course without facing directly inward. That's merely the ideal
though;
> it goes without saying that in a social setting those dancers with less
of a
> strathspey "reach" are going to shorten their track and not
quite make it
> to/through the sidelines as they transition to the next figure.
>
> As a teaching mnemonic, as dancers are learning the dance and walking
> through and pausing between figures, I have always had the dancing
couples at the
> beginning of their "spine reel" physically point with left
hands to the open
> space directly to their left and mentioned that that is the place to
which
> they are aiming in completing their reel.
>
> Indeed a very lovely dance! If you don't know it, give yourself and
your
> dancers a treat and give it a try.
>
> Robb Quint
> Thousand Oaks, CA, USA
>

> **************Inauguration '09: Get complete coverage from the
nation's
> capital.
(http://news.aol.com/main/politics/inauguration?ncid=emlcntusnews00000003)

--
Bruce Herbold

Scotch Mist: sidelines, yes, plus teaching mnemonic

Message 54715 · Peter Price · 23 Jan 2009 18:36:20 · Top

I would love to get the directions to this dance (and it is not listed at
TAC Books web site).

Thanks in advance

Peter Price
New Haven. CT.

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 11:38 AM, Andrew Buxton
<andrew.buxton@yahoo.co.uk>wrote:

> Thanks for comments on this problem.
>
> I'm relieved that someone hasn't said "read the XXXX book". I did check my
> collection of Drewery books before asking the question.
>
> Andrew
>
> -----
> Andrew Buxton
> Lewes, East Sussex, UK

Message 54743 · Susan McKinnell · 24 Jan 2009 20:05:57 · Top

FYI - TAC Books did have many leaflets not listed in their list of
available books/leaflets. I was able to purchase the entire set of
Drewry leaflets through them a few years ago; I think they sell them
individually as well. Sue (Chicago, USA)

--
Susan McKinnell luvscd@suedan.com http://suedan.com

"A house without a cat, and a well-fed, well-petted, and properly
revered cat, may be a perfect house, perhaps, but how can it prove
its title?"
- Mark Twain, The Tragedy of Pudd'nhead Wilson