strathspey Archive: CDs versus cassettes

CDs versus cassettes

Message 5453 · Armin Busse · 7 Nov 1996 14:46:23 · Top

Hi Jane and all,
I originally started this message as a private one to Jane and then
thought better of it. Originally, my thought was simply to second Sandra's
observation that one could make a tape from a CD but not a CD from a tape.
However, I would like to put in a word on the behalf of the musicians.
Musicians put in time, energy, money and considerable talent to
produce recordings that they hope we will use and enjoy. I have a great
admiration for their dedication. I do not believe it is fair to rob these
people by flagrant pillaging of their work by copying recordings without
compensation.
Having said that, let's be practical. I make copies of recordings. I
HAVE to, for dems, for practice, for lots of different reasons. I do not
use masters on a regular basis. I BUY masters, therein compensating the
artist, but I USE copies. I will not make a copy to give away but will
recommend how to purchase a recording.
We have a fabulous resource in our musicians, they should be
supported, not undermined.
Oh, and if forced to chose between CD and cassette, I'd go with CD.

s.
Coletta Busse
(a.busse@bionic.zerberus.de)
## CrossPoint v3.02 ##

CDs versus cassettes

Message 5454 · Gerry Gray · 7 Nov 1996 16:14:09 · Top

Coletta Busse wrote:

> Musicians put in time, energy, money and considerable talent to
> produce recordings that they hope we will use and enjoy. I have a great
> admiration for their dedication. I do not believe it is fair to rob these
> people by flagrant pillaging of their work by copying recordings without
> compensation.
> Having said that, let's be practical. I make copies of recordings. I
> HAVE to, for dems, for practice, for lots of different reasons. I do not
> use masters on a regular basis. I BUY masters, therein compensating the
> artist, but I USE copies. I will not make a copy to give away but will
> recommend how to purchase a recording.
> We have a fabulous resource in our musicians, they should be
> supported, not undermined.
> Oh, and if forced to chose between CD and cassette, I'd go with CD.

Wonderfully put. As a non-musician, I couldn't agree more (including the
predference for CD).

Somewhat related -- At the end-of-season dances of the Eglinton Assembly (a
group Wallena and I started in Toronto years ago and is still going strong
without us) where we were using taped music, I used to have a big poster
listing the dance AND THE BAND playing the music. Over top of the listing
was the comment SUPPORT OUR BANDS - BUY THEIR RECORDS. I don't know if it
ever led to a sale, but nothing ventured nothing gained.

By the way, the Orangeville group in Ontario also used to list the bands and
announce them too before breiefing the dance.

- Gerry

> (a.busse@bionic.zerberus.de)
> ## CrossPoint v3.02 ##

CDs versus cassettes

Message 5456 · Alan Paterson · 7 Nov 1996 16:41:31 · Top

Coletta writes:

>...one could make a tape from a CD but not a CD from a tape.

Not true. We are busy arranging for my collection of (original,
paid-for) cassettes to be put onto CDs. The justification is the same
as has been put forward several times - basically, that a master copy
is too valuable to be put into constant use, sometimes under quite
risky circumstances.

Of course, given the choice, I buy CDs

Alan