strathspey Archive: RSCDS »Homecoming Scotland« competition

RSCDS »Homecoming Scotland« competition

Message 54072 · Anselm Lingnau · 6 Nov 2008 11:06:02 · Top

[I just received my copy of the RSCDS magazine, and on page 5 there is an
important item which I shall quote here, as it has a very tight time limit
and not everyone (especially people farther abroad than Germany) may get
their magazines in time. I hope HQ and the magazine people won't mind. Thanks
to Duncan Brown for calling this to my attention. - A.]

CALLING ALL BUDDING DEVISERS AND COMPOSERS

Homecoming Scotland 2009 marks the 250th anniversary of Robert Burns and is a
year long [sic] celebration of some of Scotland's greatest contributions to
the world. The RSCDS has been invited to produce a reel and accompanying tune
to be used in events throughout the Year of Homecoming.

Given that so many of our members are experienced devisers and composers, we
are inviting submissions to find a suitable combination.

Homecoming Scotland has only just signed off the project and so, time is of
the essence! The dance must be a 32-bar reel which is suitable for general
social dancing. We are looking for something that can appear on dance
programmes, not a technically demanding demonstration dance. The tune should
fit the criteria of the dance.

The winning dance will be chosen by the Membership Services Committee and the
tune will be selected by a panel led by our Music Director, Mo Rutherford. To
stimulate the creative flow the dance and tune will be premiered at the
signature event to open Homecoming Scotland in January 2009. For this
purpose, the dance will be called »The Homecoming Dance«.

The Society, in conjunction with Homecoming Scotland, is offering a cash prize
of £250 each for the chosen tune and dance.

Entries should be received at Coates Crescent or emailed to info@rscds.org no
later than 15 NOVEMBER 2008.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION ON HOMECOMING SCOTLAND VISIT
WWW.HOMECOMINGSCOTLAND2009.COM
--
Anselm Lingnau, Friedberg, Germany ..................... anselm@strathspey.org
A society that will trade a little liberty for a little order will lose both,

Re: RSCDS »Homecoming Scotland« competition

Message 54073 · Iain Boyd · 6 Nov 2008 22:25:56 · Top

Thank you, Anselm. It is unlikely that the magazine will arrive in New Zealand much before the 15th - considering that I had to request a copy of the last issue because one did not arrive at all.

I am disappointed with the short time period for submitting dance(s) for consideration - especially when a suggestion to this effect was made on this forum several months ago.

Am I to assume that the dance will be named "The Homecoming Dance" whether that is the wish of the deviser or not? Why not just "The Homecoming" if a name is going to be imposed on devisers? (I have just checked DanceData and find that Romaine Butterfield has already named one of her dances "The Homecoming".)

Iain Boyd

Postal Address -

P O Box 11-404

Wellington

New Zealand

Stay informed with Yahoo!Xtra News - http://nz.news.yahoo.com

RSCDS »Homecoming Scotland« competition

Message 54075 · Anselm Lingnau · 6 Nov 2008 23:27:17 · Top

Iain Boyd wrote:

> I am disappointed with the short time period for submitting dance(s) for
> consideration - especially when a suggestion to this effect was made on
> this forum several months ago.

This is probably a combination of (as the announcement said) the Homecoming
Scotland people taking their time to get their act together (the way
committees are wont to do) and the magazine being produced and mailed out to
members. I was involved in the production of printed magazines on a volunteer
basis for longer than I care to remember, and I know how schedules can slip
even when everybody is committed to make things run efficiently.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, this announcement is something
that ought to have appeared on the RSCDS web site the very instant the
project was finalised with Homecoming Scotland -- which, considering the lead
time for the magazine, must have been *weeks* ago. As a matter of fact, as of
just now there is no mention of this project on www.rscds.org whatsoever --
search for »homecoming« using the box provided turns up 0 (that is, zero)
results. This is not exactly what I would call promoting the idea. Perhaps
the Membership Services committee wants to keep the number of submissions
manageable? »Time is of the essence«, yeah right.

> Am I to assume that the dance will be named "The Homecoming Dance" whether
> that is the wish of the deviser or not? Why not just "The Homecoming" if a
> name is going to be imposed on devisers?

»The Homecoming Dance« is maybe not the most original of names but I must
admit that »let's all get up and do The Homecoming Dance« does have a certain
ring to it, even if it does leave one to wonder what that dance is *really*
called. On the other hand, it does sound a bit like »The Chicken Dance« :^|

I'd say if you can't live with the idea of your dance being called »The
Homecoming Dance« -- even if that deal is sweetened with at least a year's
worth of eternal fame and £250 cash into the bargain -- then don't submit
one. At least this time around you know beforehand what might happen if you
do; it's not as if the name was going to be sprung on you unannounced after
the fact.

Anselm
--
I think that, as life is action and passion, it is required of a man that he
should share the passion and action of his time at peril of being judged not

Re: RSCDS »Homecoming Scotland« competition

Message 54079 · Norman Dahl · 7 Nov 2008 00:44:41 · Top

Not to mention, of course, the RSS news feed, of which the Society
makes occasional use. A more deserving news item would be hard to
imagine.

-norman-
---
Norman Dahl
Brisbane, Australia

It is never too late to be what you might have been.
-- George Eliot
---

On 07/11/2008, at 8:27 AM, Anselm Lingnau wrote:

> ..snip
>
> At the risk of sounding like a broken record, this announcement is
> something
> that ought to have appeared on the RSCDS web site the very instant the
> project was finalised with Homecoming Scotland -- which,
> considering the lead
> time for the magazine, must have been *weeks* ago. As a matter of
> fact, as of
> just now there is no mention of this project on www.rscds.org
> whatsoever --
> changed«, and a
> search for »homecoming« using the box provided turns up 0 (that is,
> zero)
> results. This is not exactly what I would call promoting the idea.
> Perhaps
> the Membership Services committee wants to keep the number of
> submissions
> manageable? »Time is of the essence«, yeah right.
>
>> ..snip

Re: RSCDS »Homecoming Scotland« competition

Message 54080 · Brian Charlton · 7 Nov 2008 01:11:14 · Top

G'Day,

Thanks, Anselm, for drawing attention to this competition.

To those Management Board members who 'lurk' on the site, please arrange for
the period for submission to be extended, so that those who live far away
from the 'Centre of the Universe' have a chance to participate. It is Friday
7th and the magazine has not yet yet appeared in my Australian letter-box
(yes, the post has come today) and it would be almost impossible to get a
submission off in time to arrive in Scotland by Friday 15th.

Brian Charlton,
Sydney, Australia

2008/11/7 Norman Dahl <norman@dahlfamily.org>

> Not to mention, of course, the RSS news feed, of which the Society makes
> occasional use. A more deserving news item would be hard to imagine.
>
> -norman-
> ---
> Norman Dahl
> Brisbane, Australia
>
> It is never too late to be what you might have been.
> -- George Eliot
> ---
>

> On 07/11/2008, at 8:27 AM, Anselm Lingnau wrote:
>
> ..snip
>>
>> At the risk of sounding like a broken record, this announcement is
>> something
>> that ought to have appeared on the RSCDS web site the very instant the
>> project was finalised with Homecoming Scotland -- which, considering the
>> lead
>> time for the magazine, must have been *weeks* ago. As a matter of fact, as
>> of
>> just now there is no mention of this project on www.rscds.org whatsoever
>> --
>> search for »homecoming« using the box provided turns up 0 (that is, zero)
>> results. This is not exactly what I would call promoting the idea. Perhaps
>> the Membership Services committee wants to keep the number of submissions
>> manageable? »Time is of the essence«, yeah right.
>>
>> ..snip

RE: RSCDS »Homecoming Scotland« competition

Message 54083 · Pia Walker · 7 Nov 2008 10:05:00 · Top

I'll bring this request to the AGM and put it in front of a couple of people

Pia

Thanks, Anselm, for drawing attention to this competition.

To those Management Board members who 'lurk' on the site, please arrange for
the period for submission to be extended, so that those who live far away
from the 'Centre of the Universe' have a chance to participate. It is Friday
7th and the magazine has not yet yet appeared in my Australian letter-box
(yes, the post has come today) and it would be almost impossible to get a
submission off in time to arrive in Scotland by Friday 15th.

Brian Charlton,
Sydney, Australia

2008/11/7 Norman Dahl <norman@dahlfamily.org>

> Not to mention, of course, the RSS news feed, of which the Society makes
> occasional use. A more deserving news item would be hard to imagine.
>
> -norman-
> ---
> Norman Dahl
> Brisbane, Australia
>
> It is never too late to be what you might have been.
> -- George Eliot
> ---
>

> On 07/11/2008, at 8:27 AM, Anselm Lingnau wrote:
>
> ..snip
>>
>> At the risk of sounding like a broken record, this announcement is
>> something
>> that ought to have appeared on the RSCDS web site the very instant the
>> project was finalised with Homecoming Scotland -- which, considering the
>> lead
>> time for the magazine, must have been *weeks* ago. As a matter of fact,
as
>> of
>> just now there is no mention of this project on www.rscds.org whatsoever
>> --
>> not on the front page, not in "RSCDS News", not in "What's changed", and
>> search for "homecoming" using the box provided turns up 0 (that is, zero)
>> results. This is not exactly what I would call promoting the idea.
Perhaps
>> the Membership Services committee wants to keep the number of submissions
>> manageable? "Time is of the essence", yeah right.
>>
>> ..snip

RSCDS >Homecoming Scotland< competition

Message 54084 · Wouter Joubert · 7 Nov 2008 10:09:39 · Top

Hi Pia

Perhaps also the question about why specifically Reel time?

Wouter
Pretoria Suid-Afrika

I'll bring this request to the AGM and put it in front of a couple of people

Pia

Thanks, Anselm, for drawing attention to this competition.

To those Management Board members who 'lurk' on the site, please arrange for
the period for submission to be extended, so that those who live far away
from the 'Centre of the Universe' have a chance to participate. It is Friday
7th and the magazine has not yet yet appeared in my Australian letter-box
(yes, the post has come today) and it would be almost impossible to get a
submission off in time to arrive in Scotland by Friday 15th.

Brian Charlton,
Sydney, Australia

2008/11/7 Norman Dahl <norman@dahlfamily.org>

> Not to mention, of course, the RSS news feed, of which the Society makes
> occasional use. A more deserving news item would be hard to imagine.
>
> -norman-
> ---
> Norman Dahl
> Brisbane, Australia
>
> It is never too late to be what you might have been.
> -- George Eliot
> ---
>

> On 07/11/2008, at 8:27 AM, Anselm Lingnau wrote:
>
> ..snip
>>
>> At the risk of sounding like a broken record, this announcement is
>> something
>> that ought to have appeared on the RSCDS web site the very instant the
>> project was finalised with Homecoming Scotland -- which, considering the
>> lead
>> time for the magazine, must have been *weeks* ago. As a matter of fact,
as
>> of
>> just now there is no mention of this project on www.rscds.org whatsoever
>> --
>> not on the front page, not in "RSCDS News", not in "What's changed", and
>> search for "homecoming" using the box provided turns up 0 (that is, zero)
>> results. This is not exactly what I would call promoting the idea.
Perhaps
>> the Membership Services committee wants to keep the number of submissions
>> manageable? "Time is of the essence", yeah right.
>>
>> ..snip

RSCDS >Homecoming Scotland< competition

Message 54085 · Martin Campoveja · 7 Nov 2008 10:18:29 · Top

Wouter wrote:

> ... the question about why specifically Reel time?

Or the question about the difference between a jig and a reel -- speaking of
dances, not music, of course.

Martin

RSCDS >Homecoming Scotland< competition

Message 54089 · Pia Walker · 7 Nov 2008 10:52:29 · Top

If you guys don't mind - the finer points of tempo and its difference I will
keep to another time - I can't quite see me cornering the powers that be and
say 'by the way - ehm - what is the difference between a reel and a jig -
dancewise - explain please' - I have a distinct feeling that the AGM may not
be the right forum for that :>) :>) I'm sure this question is not nearly as
urgent as the one I said I would take with me.

Pia

> ... the question about why specifically Reel time?

Or the question about the difference between a jig and a reel -- speaking of
dances, not music, of course.

Martin

RSCDS >Homecoming Scotland< competition

Message 54086 · Anselm Lingnau · 7 Nov 2008 10:27:28 · Top

Wouter Joubert wrote:

> Perhaps also the question about why specifically Reel time?

Why is it that all the most popular dances seem to be reels? Maybe they want
to give the new dance a head start.

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Friedberg, Germany ..................... anselm@strathspey.org
In business, a failure that isn't obvious for a few years is as good as a

RSCDS >Homecoming Scotland< competition

Message 54087 · campbell · 7 Nov 2008 10:39:09 · Top

Not strictly true Anselm,

I know I was hauled over the coals for initially calling my list the most
popular dances, but certainly the most frequently used dance (by quite a
way) is Pelorus Jack, a jig, and Joie de Vivre comes in at 8, Hoopers Jig
and Wild Geese at 14 and 15 respectively. Mrs Stewarts Jig at 17 and Bees of
Maggieknockater at 20. So 6 of the top 20, with 3 strathspeys and 11 reels.
But certainly reels seem to be "more" popular.

Campbell

Anselm wrote:
Why is it that all the most popular dances seem to be reels? Maybe they want

to give the new dance a head start.

RSCDS >Homecoming Scotland< competition

Message 54090 · Anselm Lingnau · 7 Nov 2008 11:13:27 · Top

Campbell Tyler wrote:

> Not strictly true Anselm,
>
> I know I was hauled over the coals for initially calling my list the most
> popular dances, but certainly the most frequently used dance (by quite a
> way) is Pelorus Jack, a jig, and Joie de Vivre comes in at 8, Hoopers Jig
> and Wild Geese at 14 and 15 respectively. Mrs Stewarts Jig at 17 and Bees
> of Maggieknockater at 20. So 6 of the top 20, with 3 strathspeys and 11
> reels. But certainly reels seem to be "more" popular.

You can't really judge that from your list -- your list, fascinating though it
is, tells us which dances are popular with the people who construct social
programmes, not which dances are popular with *dancers*. Consider the
following:

For social programmes, people tend to aim for approximately the same number of
reels and jigs. The (grossly exaggerated) working hypothesis is that there
are many reels that people enjoy very much, and jigs mostly suck except for a
few. This hypothesis would be consistent with what we see from your list,
namely that there is a small number of jigs that suck somewhat less than
most, so these get done to death socially because if your programme must be
1/3 jigs you had better pick those that are not complete lemons. On the other
hand, there are enough reels that people like to do a lot that you have to
give every one of those a chance every so often, so the most favourite of
those turn out to be quite high on the list but not as high as the
least-sucking jigs.

This of course is greatly exaggerated to make the point. Some of my best
friends are jigs :^)

If you want to find out which dances are really »popular« in the sense that
at social functions« you need a different methodology. I don't have hard
numbers but whenever we have a request night it turns out that people will
ask for lots of reels and strathspeys but very rarely jigs. This is even
weirder in light of the fact that many dancers find it hard to tell reels
from jigs when they do them.

On the other hand, the theory above implies that to make an impression, it is
better to come up with a really good jig which would only have to compete
with Pelorus Jack, Joie de Vivre, and Wild Geese instead of trying to push
the likes of the Reel of the Royal Scots, J.B.Milne, Mairi's Wedding etc. off
their pedestal. For the Homecoming Scotland people, perhaps asking for a reel
wasn't such a great idea after all?

Anselm
:^)
--
Anselm Lingnau, Friedberg, Germany ..................... anselm@strathspey.org
What the world really needs is more love and less paperwork. -- Pearl Bailey

RSCDS >Homecoming Scotland< competition

Message 54091 · campbell · 7 Nov 2008 11:34:41 · Top

Anselm wrote:
>For social programmes, people tend to aim for approximately the same number
>of reels and jigs. The (grossly exaggerated) working hypothesis is that
there
>are many reels that people enjoy very much, and jigs mostly suck except for
> few. This hypothesis would be consistent with what we see from your list,
> namely that there is a small number of jigs that suck somewhat less than
> most, so these get done to death socially because if your programme must
be
> 1/3 jigs you had better pick those that are not complete lemons.

I have to hand it to you Anselm, that is a very clever and insightful
argument. I wonder why people feel the need to balance the programme when
they don't understand the difference anyway. I asked devisors on this list
some time ago what prompted them to make a dance a jig rather than a reel
(or vice versa) and was given no satisfactory reply. It made me wonder
whether devisors themselves know the difference. Per your argument, they
should all be writing jigs furiously.

Oh well, I shall go back to processing the next 50 programmes and producing
my next instalment of the "Dances that appear most frequently on programmes
that are sent me by willing helpers, as well as a few that I pick up
remotely" list. I look forward with happy expectation to a list of the most
popular dances, especially if it is accompanied by an explanation of the
methodology used. :-)

Campbell Tyler
Cape Town

Reels or jigs

Message 54092 · simon scott · 7 Nov 2008 19:26:27 · Top

I have to hand it to you Anselm, that is a very clever and insightful
argument. I wonder why people feel the need to balance the programme when
they don't understand the difference anyway. I asked devisors on this list
some time ago what prompted them to make a dance a jig rather than a reel
(or vice versa) and was given no satisfactory reply. It made me wonder
whether devisors themselves know the difference. Per your argument, they
should all be writing jigs furiously.

Campbell Tyler
Cape Town

There certainly should be a difference in the way we dance to a reel or to a
jig. I firmly believe that if you listen carefully to the music and respond
to either of the rhythms your personal dancing should change. Hopefully it
will then come naturally as do the various patterns.

If at a dance you dance a reel, then a strathspey, then a jig, or if you
have a chat or a drink etc. between a reel and a jig it may not be so easy
for the average dancer to notice the difference.

Listening, being aware and responding makes the difference. If you have an
accomplished musician who can switch between reel and jig tempo within the
same tune, without pausing, you may notice how it "should" have a distinct
effect on your dancing. I have done this in class with Muriel Johnstone.

When I write a dance I consider which of the characters I would like the
dance to have and choose accordingly.

Simon
Vancouver

Reels or jigs

Message 54095 · Steve Wyrick · 7 Nov 2008 22:13:06 · Top

On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 10:26 AM, Simon Scott <simon.scott@telus.net> wrote:

> When I write a dance I consider which of the characters I would like the
> dance to have and choose accordingly.
>
> Simon
> Vancouver

Can you elaborate, Simon? I'd be curious to hear what you consider to
be the characteristics that lead you to choose jig vs. reel, and do
you consider specific tunes, or types of tunes (e.g., single vs.
double jig, or single reel vs. driving reel vs. hornpipe) when you're
writing a dance?
--
Steve Wyrick -- Walnut Creek, California

Reels or jigs

Message 54096 · John Chambers · 7 Nov 2008 21:27:20 · Top

Simon Scott wrote:

| I have to hand it to you Anselm, that is a very clever and insightful
| argument. I wonder why people feel the need to balance the programme when
| they don't understand the difference anyway. I asked devisors on this list
| some time ago what prompted them to make a dance a jig rather than a reel
| (or vice versa) and was given no satisfactory reply. It made me wonder
| whether devisors themselves know the difference. Per your argument, they
| should all be writing jigs furiously.

A viewpoint I heard years ago that I still find insightful is: One of
the differences between SCD and most of its close relatives in the
UK, Ireland, North America, and so on is the great variety in the
music. And this can be mostly attributed to the customs of assigning
specific tunes to dances, and consciously mixing reels, jigs and
strathspeys in the program.

Here in New England, when I'm at a contra dance, it's common for the
entire dance to be one busy reel after another. The dancers sometime
comment on how "It all sounds the same", and I have to agree with
them. I sometimes go to Irish and French-Canadian sessions, and
again, it's just one busy reel after another, with only an occasional
jig that people play along with grudgingly until they can get back to
their busy reels. I occasionally drop in on some "Old-Timey"
sessions, and the same thing happens.

One of the things that makes playing for SCD fun is that this sort of
sameness doesn't much happen. The dance leaders mix the three
standard rhythms (and occasional slipjigs). Leaders with sensitivity
do the differences will alternames between reels, marches, polkas,
and their jig-time equivalents, adding variety to dances that are
ostensibly the same rhythm. And there are the "strathspey" dances
done to slow airs. When you throw in the custom of playing the
title/recommended tunes whenever possible, the result is wide musical
variety, imparting similar variety even to the dances that are
supposedly in the same rhythm.

I think this is something to be encouraged. I know that some of the
dancers recognize and encourage it.

--
I ♡ Unicode

Reels or jigs

Message 54098 · Bruce Herbold · 7 Nov 2008 22:47:54 · Top

John, you capture one tf the things that makes SCD my favorite, but I
would quibble on one point. English CD provides a similar broad array
of types of tunes and dances. The little band I am part of plays for
ECD, SCD and Contra. for SCD we work mostly on getting good sets of
tunes and making fun transitions between them and shaping them to the
figures in the dance, for ECD we explore what we can do with the
(usually) one tune we have per dance -- it really builds awareness of
the other band members as the solos move around and we shift the
overall feel. For Contra we just play fast but we probably play more
jigs than the audience expects. For SCD and ECD we usually feel a
tight interconnection with the dancers that is often, but not always,
lacking at the Contra gigs.

Bruce Herbold
San Francisco

On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 21:27:20, John Chambers <jc@trillian.mit.edu> wrote:
> Simon Scott wrote:
> |
> | I have to hand it to you Anselm, that is a very clever and insightful
> | argument. I wonder why people feel the need to balance the programme when
> | they don't understand the difference anyway. I asked devisors on this list
> | some time ago what prompted them to make a dance a jig rather than a reel
> | (or vice versa) and was given no satisfactory reply. It made me wonder
> | whether devisors themselves know the difference. Per your argument, they
> | should all be writing jigs furiously.
>
> A viewpoint I heard years ago that I still find insightful is: One of
> the differences between SCD and most of its close relatives in the
> UK, Ireland, North America, and so on is the great variety in the
> music. And this can be mostly attributed to the customs of assigning
> specific tunes to dances, and consciously mixing reels, jigs and
> strathspeys in the program.
>
> Here in New England, when I'm at a contra dance, it's common for the
> entire dance to be one busy reel after another. The dancers sometime
> comment on how "It all sounds the same", and I have to agree with
> them. I sometimes go to Irish and French-Canadian sessions, and
> again, it's just one busy reel after another, with only an occasional
> jig that people play along with grudgingly until they can get back to
> their busy reels. I occasionally drop in on some "Old-Timey"
> sessions, and the same thing happens.
>
> One of the things that makes playing for SCD fun is that this sort of
> sameness doesn't much happen. The dance leaders mix the three
> standard rhythms (and occasional slipjigs). Leaders with sensitivity
> do the differences will alternames between reels, marches, polkas,
> and their jig-time equivalents, adding variety to dances that are
> ostensibly the same rhythm. And there are the "strathspey" dances
> done to slow airs. When you throw in the custom of playing the
> title/recommended tunes whenever possible, the result is wide musical
> variety, imparting similar variety even to the dances that are
> supposedly in the same rhythm.
>
> I think this is something to be encouraged. I know that some of the
> dancers recognize and encourage it.
>

> --
> I ♡ Unicode

Reels or jigs

Message 54110 · John Chambers · 8 Nov 2008 21:27:54 · Top

Bruce Herbold wrote:
| John, you capture one tf the things that makes SCD my favorite, but I
| would quibble on one point. English CD provides a similar broad array
| of types of tunes and dances. The little band I am part of plays for
| ECD, SCD and Contra. for SCD we work mostly on getting good sets of
| tunes and making fun transitions between them and shaping them to the
| figures in the dance, for ECD we explore what we can do with the
| (usually) one tune we have per dance -- it really builds awareness of
| the other band members as the solos move around and we shift the
| overall feel. For Contra we just play fast but we probably play more
| jigs than the audience expects. For SCD and ECD we usually feel a
| tight interconnection with the dancers that is often, but not always,
| lacking at the Contra gigs.

Actually, I originally included a comment on ECD in my remarks, but I
decided it was too long, so I deleted that paragraph. ECD does also
have a strong association of a specific tune with each dance. ECD
musicians usually don't play many tune medleys, but just play the
single tune for an entire dance. That works out just as well; it just
prevents playing all those other tunes that you might like to play.
OTOH, the SCD practice of complex medleys tends to discourage the
sort of development of tunes that ECD bands try for. If you play each
tune only once or twice, there isn't time to work on variations, but
the rapid tune changing has a similar effect. If you're playing the
same tune 20 times for a dance, you really don't want to play it the
same way each time. Some of the better NECD (New England Contra
Dance) musicians like to do the same thing. "If a tune's good enough
to play, it's good enough to play a lot of times." But novice
musicians often don't know how to do this.

In any case, during an evening of dancing, SCD and ECD both tend to
have a lot of variety in their music. Many of the other closely
related forms of dance don't have nearly the variety of these two
styles. This is because the musicians can get away with playing tunes
that may be different to them, but "all sound the same" to
non-musicians who are listening.

--
I ♡ Unicode

RSCDS >Homecoming Scotland< competition

Message 54088 · Pia Walker · 7 Nov 2008 10:48:03 · Top

Ok

pia

Perhaps also the question about why specifically Reel time?

Wouter
Pretoria Suid-Afrika

I'll bring this request to the AGM and put it in front of a couple of people

Pia

Thanks, Anselm, for drawing attention to this competition.

To those Management Board members who 'lurk' on the site, please arrange for
the period for submission to be extended, so that those who live far away
from the 'Centre of the Universe' have a chance to participate. It is Friday
7th and the magazine has not yet yet appeared in my Australian letter-box
(yes, the post has come today) and it would be almost impossible to get a
submission off in time to arrive in Scotland by Friday 15th.

Brian Charlton,
Sydney, Australia

2008/11/7 Norman Dahl <norman@dahlfamily.org>

> Not to mention, of course, the RSS news feed, of which the Society makes
> occasional use. A more deserving news item would be hard to imagine.
>
> -norman-
> ---
> Norman Dahl
> Brisbane, Australia
>
> It is never too late to be what you might have been.
> -- George Eliot
> ---
>

> On 07/11/2008, at 8:27 AM, Anselm Lingnau wrote:
>
> ..snip
>>
>> At the risk of sounding like a broken record, this announcement is
>> something
>> that ought to have appeared on the RSCDS web site the very instant the
>> project was finalised with Homecoming Scotland -- which, considering the
>> lead
>> time for the magazine, must have been *weeks* ago. As a matter of fact,
as
>> of
>> just now there is no mention of this project on www.rscds.org whatsoever
>> --
>> not on the front page, not in "RSCDS News", not in "What's changed", and
>> search for "homecoming" using the box provided turns up 0 (that is, zero)
>> results. This is not exactly what I would call promoting the idea.
Perhaps
>> the Membership Services committee wants to keep the number of submissions
>> manageable? "Time is of the essence", yeah right.
>>
>> ..snip

RE: RSCDS >Homecoming Scotland< competition

Message 54112 · Duncan Brown · 9 Nov 2008 16:56:17 · Top

Hi All,

Right, I've submitted my dance (2 actually!) - anyone else going to bother??

Regards,

Duncan

Chudleigh,
Devon,
UK

RSCDS >Homecoming Scotland< competition

Message 54113 · Steve Johnson · 9 Nov 2008 18:14:17 · Top

I haven't even seen the magazine with the competition in it yet...
--
Steve