strathspey Archive: RSCDS membership requirement)

RSCDS membership requirement)

Message 53928 · Miriam L. Mueller · 21 Oct 2008 19:02:59 · Top

While I strongly support the standardization and other services of the
RSCDS, I am one of those overseas members on limited budget. This
presents an interesting dilemma: the increase in RSCDS dues leaves me
less money to participate in Branch activities. Continuing to be an RSCDS
member to contribute to the health of the international organization
means that I am reducing my paid participation in the portion of the
organization that actually delivers the services I use.

I have not yet reached the point where I will have to choose,
financially, between supporting the Society or my Branch. But I suggest
that my situation is not unique, and that perhaps a significant number
who dropped out of the Society this year did not do so because they
weren't altruistic, but because they were making a conscious choice of
where to put their support.

Miriam Mueller, San Francisco
Click here to find single Christians that want to meet you today.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/Ioyw6i3ngh5q1l0KLSvN8OZvUXEVoNyiyrBxjBP1hnLlT1JxukuTOh/

RSCDS membership requirement)

Message 53932 · SMiskoe · 21 Oct 2008 22:01:06 · Top

This past spring the Boston Branch reorganized its membership options to
have branch membership and RSCDS membership. You can be a member of the Boston
Branch and you can be both a BB member and a RSCDS member. One of the
driving forces behind this move is that RSCDS membership fee was increasing faster
than the Boston Branch could keep up with and the Boston Branch found itself
subsidizing its members and had no money for local activities. When the
dollar was strong it was not a problem but now the dollar is weak and the Branch
felt that it could not continue subsidizing its members, neither could it ask
for large dues increases every year.
Sylvia Miskoe, Concord, NH USA

RSCDS membership requirement)

Message 53934 · Steve Wyrick · 21 Oct 2008 22:04:47 · Top

How is that working out? Are many people opting for branch-only memberships?

--
Steve Wyrick -- Walnut Creek, California

RSCDS membership requirement)

Message 53935 · SMiskoe · 21 Oct 2008 22:10:08 · Top

In a message dated 10/21/2008 4:05:26 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
sjwyrick@gmail.com writes:

How is that working out? Are many people opting for branch-only
memberships?

I don't know yet, memberships are still coming in for the year. I am sure
there will be folks who opt for Branch only but teachers and dedicated RSCD's
will do both. For me it totaled $55.
Sylvia Miskoe, Concord, NH USA

TAC Membership Requirement

Message 53940 · Loretta Holz · 21 Oct 2008 22:44:36 · Top

The TAC website says about membership requirements --
If you are a member of the RSCDS and have passed the Preliminary Test or
hold the Teacher\'s Certificate you may join.

This means that you cannot become a member until after you have passed
the preliminary test. But would not membership in the organization be
helpful to a person looking to learn more about SCD and pass the test?

What about those who are teaching but have never had the opportunity to
take the training because of lack of local access and/or lack of ability
to go to TAC Summer School or St Andrews or other appropriate distant
venue?

Has the organization thought about a trial or provisional or junior
membership for such people?

Loretta Holz
Warren, NJ

RSCDS membership requirement)

Message 53941 · sophie.rickebusch · 21 Oct 2008 23:54:04 · Top

Is the option of being a "branch-only" member not in contradiction with
the RSCDS constitution and the terms of the local association license,
ie. what sparked the whole debate? Or am I missing something?

Sophie

SMiskoe@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 10/21/2008 4:05:26 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
> sjwyrick@gmail.com writes:
>
> How is that working out? Are many people opting for branch-only
> memberships?
>

> I don't know yet, memberships are still coming in for the year. I am sure
> there will be folks who opt for Branch only but teachers and dedicated RSCD's
> will do both. For me it totaled $55.
> Sylvia Miskoe, Concord, NH USA
> **************New MapQuest Local shows what's happening at your destination.
> Dining, Movies, Events, News & more. Try it out

Sophie Rickebusch
Edinburgh, UK