strathspey Archive: Most frequent dances

Most frequent dances

Message 53605 · campbell · 24 Sep 2008 16:28:00 · Top

Here I am again with the latest list. I have been a bit slow with this next
50 programmes because I have had to have the programme changed to
incorporate the recording of the positions of dances in the programme,
either as first, last, before supper, after supper, extra or the rest. I
have also started identifying the origin of dances, which will enable me to
identify the RSCDS dances and compare them. Some extra reporting facilities
will also help answer your queries. Anyhow, reaching 250 programmes means
that dances have to appear on at least 22 of those to make the top 50.
There are now 804 dances on my database, 347 of which have only appeared on
one programme.

Since last I reported, Pelorus Jack has taken over the top position from
Minister on the Loch, Catch the Wind has dropped out of the top 10, to be
replaced by Mrs Stewart's Jig, and the biggest mover has been Polharrow
Burn, up 16 places to 12th. New entries to the top 50 are JB Milne,
Nurseryman and Rose of the North, replacing Trip to Bavaria, Miss Gibson's
Strathspey and Ladies Fancy.

I must also thank those who have been so consistent in their submission of
programmes. Jean Deacon from Melbourne has been exceptional, which is
reflected in the fact that of the 250 programmes, 39 come from Australia
(not all hers), beaten only by England's 68 and Scotland's 63. So please,
those of you who do read this stuff, if you don't submit your programmes,
you wont affect the tallies. I have also had a few requests for particular
statistics which I am happy to fulfil if possible. One day I will get all
this stuff on to our club website.

Top devisor is Roy Goldring with 73, closely followed by John Drewry with
69. Most frequent dance in Australia is Minister on the Loch, USA Pelorus
Jack, England Bees of Maggieknockater, Scotland Catch the Wind and Ian
Powrie's Farewell to Auchterarder.

The top 50 are (previous positions after):

1 Pelorus Jack 2

2 Minister on the Loch 1

3 Mairis Wedding 6

4 Montgomeries Rant 5

5 Reel of the Royal Scots 4

6 Deil Amang the Tailors 3

7 Wild Geese 8

8 Irish Rover 9

9 Reel of the 51st Division 7

10 Mrs Stewart's Jig 12

11 Joie de Vivre 15

12 Polharrow Burn 28

13 Gang The Same Gate 16

14 Bees of Maggieknockater 23

15 Catch the Wind 10

16 Neidpath Castle 11

17 Shiftin' Bobbins 33

18 Bratach Bana 34

19 Machine without Horses 13

20 Hoopers Jig 17

21 Silver Tassie 30

22 EH37AF 14

23 Miss Johnstone of Ardrossan 20

24 Tribute to the Borders 37

25 Luckenbooth Brooch 22

26 Gentleman 25

27 Maxwell's Rant 18

28 Piper and the Penguin 24

29 Dream Catcher 19

30 Jubilee Jig 21

31 Robertson Rant 26

32 Seton's Ceilidh Band 29

33 General Stuart's Reel 32

34 Miss Milligan's Strathspey 27

35 Sailor 36

36 Napier's Index 31

37 Duke of Perth 44

38 Quarries Jig 47

39 Australian Ladies 38

40 MacDonald of the Isles 42

41 Ian Powrie's Farewell 43

42 Culla Bay 45

43 Clutha 35

44 John of Bon Accord 46

45 Flowers of Edinburgh 49

46 Sugar Candie 41

47 Nurseryman 54

48 Festival Fling 40

49 J B Milne 65

50 Rose of the North 55

Most frequent dances

Message 53606 · Bruce Herbold · 24 Sep 2008 18:45:30 · Top

Thanks for doing this Campbell. It is a really valuable service to
those of us who are involved in putting together dance programs.

Interesting to compare how this effort, which helps ensure that SCD
has a similar repertoire around the world, with how the RSCDS has
attacked the same task. It's like the difference between descriptive
and prescriptive linguists -- "how do people talk" vs "how should
people talk?". Both are necessary approaches to get the job done but
with such contrasting 'mission statements.'

thanks again

Bruce Herbold
San Francisco

On 9/24/08, Campbell Tyler <campbell@tyler.co.za> wrote:
> [...]
>

> I must also thank those who have been so consistent in their submission of
> programmes. Jean Deacon from Melbourne has been exceptional, which is
> reflected in the fact that of the 250 programmes, 39 come from Australia
> (not all hers), beaten only by England's 68 and Scotland's 63. So please,
> those of you who do read this stuff, if you don't submit your programmes,
> you wont affect the tallies. I have also had a few requests for particular
> statistics which I am happy to fulfil if possible. One day I will get all
> this stuff on to our club website.
>

> Top devisor is Roy Goldring with 73, closely followed by John Drewry with
> 69. Most frequent dance in Australia is Minister on the Loch, USA Pelorus
> Jack, England Bees of Maggieknockater, Scotland Catch the Wind and Ian
> Powrie's Farewell to Auchterarder.
>

> The top 50 are (previous positions after):

Most frequent dances

Message 53607 · Marie Disiewicz · 24 Sep 2008 19:51:53 · Top

Hi to all
I did not make the program for the Heartland Dance Scottish with the Colin Dewar Band here in Vancouver B.C. Canada November 14 & 15 with any list in mind other than I wanted a program of dances that I have enjoyed over the years. It is nice to see my selection of dances are on your list Campbell.

You will notice in the 8X through Jig & Reel dances there are no Circles. NON.
Other than Dream Catcher we will not be dancing Square Set dances because of the room they require to dance comfortably.
I do enjoy many Square Set dances.

If you are going to be in our area Nov. 14 & 15 we would love to have you join us for what should be a great evening of dancing and super music from a very loved band from Scotland.

http://www.ottawadancescottish.org/heartland/

See you soon
Marie - getting a little nervous as the date comes closer.

For those who will be in the Ottawa area on Oct. 3,4,& 5th - Colin Dewar's Scottish Dance Band and Malcolm & Helen Brown from Dunnington, Yorkshire will be teaching along with our own Ruth Jappy from Delta B.C.

http://www.ottawadancescottish.org

Hope to see you there.
Cheers
Marie

Most frequent dances

Message 53622 · Iain Boyd · 29 Sep 2008 03:07:34 · Top

Greetings all,

I have made a slightly different analysis.

Of the top 50,

     37 have been published by or with the blessing of the RSCDS

          and, of this 37, 12 are traditional dances while 25 are modern dances.

A mere 13 modern dances not published by the RSCDS are in the top 50.

This does lead one to the conclusion that dances published by or with the blessing of the RSCDS have a far greater chance of occurring on a social dance programme. (This is probably due to the fact that teachers and programme devisers will have easier access to RSCDS dances than to other dances.)

Also, it is interesting to note that modern RSCDS dances are more popular than traditional RSCDS dances and that, overall, modern dances are more popular than traditional dances.

I suspect that the majority of the 347 that have occurred only once will be modern dances and most are likely to be 'local' dances devised for a local event or a local 'celebrity'.

Regards,

Iain Boyd

Postal Address -

P O Box 11-404

Wellington

New Zealand

Catch-up on the latest NZ celebrity and entertainment news here - http://nz.lifestyle.yahoo.com/new-idea/

Most frequent dances

Message 55383 · Ian Brown · 23 Mar 2009 11:54:11 · Top

Hello Campbell

I find the information you are collecting helpful and would
like to be able to analyse it to answer questions such as
what are the most common jigs? Most common square dances?

You have provided a commentary along these lines in previous
emails but it must be very difficult to anticipate all of
the questions that might be of interest. Certainly the
interest will extend beyond the most common fifty dances
which, I guess, will change relatively slowly.

Would it add a great deal to the complexity of your
reporting if you were able to structure the data in some
way? Perhaps a Table in the MS Word sense would be most
helpful, if Strathspey permits this, or else some embedded
characters that would separate the dance title from the
other information such as place number.

Sorry to add to your task - I know it's much easier to do so
than to respond to all such requests.

Cheers,
Ian Brown
Harrogate Saltire Scottish Country Dance Club

[...]

Message 55407 · campbell · 24 Mar 2009 15:56:14 · Top

Ian Brown wrote:

>Hello Campbell
>I find the information you are collecting helpful and would
>like to be able to analyse it to answer questions such as
>what are the most common jigs? Most common square dances?
>You have provided a commentary along these lines in previous
>emails but it must be very difficult to anticipate all of
>the questions that might be of interest. Certainly the
>interest will extend beyond the most common fifty dances
>which, I guess, will change relatively slowly.
>Would it add a great deal to the complexity of your
>reporting if you were able to structure the data in some
>way? Perhaps a Table in the MS Word sense would be most
>helpful, if Strathspey permits this, or else some embedded
>characters that would separate the dance title from the
>other information such as place number.

My data is structured and captured in an MS-Access database (shock and
horror from the more sophisticated amongst us). I have written to Ian in
private explaining the structure of the database and have also sent him the
list of most common jigs he asked for, as well as the most common 32x4 reel
square dances. I cant provide attachments to these Strathspey Server
emails, but am always willing to try and respond to specific requests for
information.

Campbell Tyler
Cape Town

Most frequent dances - 500 programmes

Message 55949 · campbell · 17 May 2009 22:52:20 · Top

Well, 500 programmes captured so time for an update.

The most frequent dances are appearing on every 5th programme on average.
The 50th is appearing on every 12th programme, and the 100th on every 20th.
There are now 1086 (up from 958 after 400 programmes) dances on my database,
428 (367 previously) of which have only appeared on one programme. To me
this indicates that I have basically covered all the known dances and that
all is happening now is I am getting locally devised dances that are danced
for a specific occasion only. Interesting if one extrapolates that sort of
figure to Dance Data's 13 000 plus. My next project is to analyse the RSCDS
dances to see how they fare compared to the others.

I have arranged with the International Branch to use their website for a
more detailed report. I am still in the process of setting up that link.

The top 3 (Pelorus Jack, Mairis Wedding and Montgomeries Rant) are still way
ahead of the rest, although very close to each other (105, 105 and 103).
Number 4, Minister on the Loch has 91 appearances and is way ahead of all
the other strathspeys. The fifth dance, Miss Johnstone of Ardrossan has
fallen back into the following "pelaton", with 78 appearances, the others
right behind.

There are no major movers this time, except perhaps for Follow Me Home,
which has jumped into the top 50 from 65th last time. MacDonald of the
Isles and Sugar Candie have also continued their progress. Piper and the
Penguin on the other hand seems on the way out. The demise of Monymusk is
now absolute, from 7th position when I first reported, to out of the top
100. I wonder why? De'il Amang The Tailors has finally dropped out of the
top 10, having been top at one stage for some time.

Top Scottish dance - Catch the Wind (replaced Mairi's Wedding), English -
Montgomeries Rant, USA - Pelorus Jack, Australia - still Minister on the
Loch, by a country mile.

The top 50 are (previous positions after):

1 Pelorus Jack 1
2 Mairis Wedding 2
3 Montgomeries Rant 3
4 Minister on the Loch 4
5 Miss Johnstone of Ardrossan (5)
6 Reel of the Royal Scots 6
7 Maxwell's Rant 16
8 Hoopers Jig 9
9 Joie de Vivre 11
10 Irish Rover 7
11 Deil Amang the Tailors 8
12 Bratach Bana 10
13 Wild Geese 17
14 Neidpath Castle 12
15 Shiftin' Bobbins 13
16 Dream Catcher 14
17 Reel of the 51st Division 15
18 Sailor 18
19 Sugar Candie 22 (and 27 before that)
20 Bees of Maggieknockater 25
21 Mrs Stewart's Jig 19
22 Gang The Same Gate 21
23 Catch the Wind 24
24 Machine without Horses 27
25 MacDonald of the Isles 36 (39 before that)
26 Seton's Ceilidh Band 23
27 Luckenbooth Brooch 26
28 Silver Tassie 35
29 Napier's Index 29
30 Gentleman 33
31 EH37AF 37
32 Polharrow Burn 20
33 Tribute to the Borders 32
34 Culla Bay 39 (and 43 before that)
35 Ian Powrie's Farewell 41
36 Piper and the Penguin 28 (and 22 before that)
37 Laird of Milton's Daughter 44
38 Quarries Jig 30
39 Robertson Rant 38
40 Clutha 34
41 Belle of Bon Accord 31
42 Duke of Perth 40
43 Cherrybank Gardens 42
44 Jubilee Jig 47
45 Trip to Bavaria 53
46 General Stuart's Reel 50
47 Follow Me Home 65
48 White Heather Jig 56
49 Wind on Loch Fyne 43
50 John of Bon Accord 46
Dropped off since last time:
52 Rose of the North 45
54 Miss Milligan's Strathspey 48
57 Nurseryman 49

Till next time and the International Branch Website.

Campbell Tyler
Cape Town

Most frequent dances - 500 programmes

Message 55950 · Martin Campoveja · 17 May 2009 23:41:33 · Top

Thank you again, Campbell, for the interesting list.

I am constantly amazed at the lack of popularity, judging from your
list and from other programs I have seen, of dances from the most
recent RSCDS books, 43, 44 & 45, some of which I think are very good
and have good prescribed tunes, but which remain absent it seems from
dance programs. The one exception appears to be Napier's Index. (I may
be wrong -- I have not the books with me at the moment to check).

Does no-one like 51st Travelers, for example? or Mr Ian Stewart, or
Cocket Hat? or Sands of Morar?

Martin

Most frequent dances - 500 programmes

Message 55951 · Pia Walker · 18 May 2009 00:06:54 · Top

But Martin that is the good thing about Scottish Dancing - VAriety

Pia

Thank you again, Campbell, for the interesting list.

I am constantly amazed at the lack of popularity, judging from your
list and from other programs I have seen, of dances from the most
recent RSCDS books, 43, 44 & 45, some of which I think are very good
and have good prescribed tunes, but which remain absent it seems from
dance programs. The one exception appears to be Napier's Index. (I may
be wrong -- I have not the books with me at the moment to check).

Does no-one like 51st Travelers, for example? or Mr Ian Stewart, or
Cocket Hat? or Sands of Morar?

Martin

Most frequent dances - 500 programmes

Message 55954 · Martin Campoveja · 18 May 2009 09:48:34 · Top

2009/5/18 Pia wrote:
> that is the good thing about Scottish Dancing - VAriety

Agreed.
But if all the programs contain the same core of dances, is that variety?

Martin

Most frequent dances - 500 programmes

Message 55955 · Anselm Lingnau · 18 May 2009 10:29:02 · Top

Martin Sheffield wrote:

> But if all the programs contain the same core of dances, is that variety?

I'm all for variety, but one can have a very varied diet based on staple foods
with different things added.

I have made a survey of Frankfurt Spring Ball programmes from the very
beginning (in 1968) up to the 40th ball (in 2008). These programmes feature
452 different dances, 166 of which appear on more than one programme (so we're
tending towards the eclectic). The »top fifteen« dances on the list are

10x Waltz Country Dance (but not since 1981!)
9x J.B. Milne
7x The Bees of Maggieknockater
6x Cadgers in the Canongate, The Irish Rover, The Montgomeries' Rant,
Sugar Candie
5x Blooms of Bon Accord, Hooper's Jig, The Lea Rig, Light and Airy,
Macdonald of the Isles, Robertson Rant, The Wee Cooper o' Fife, Waverley

By way of comparison, if you only look at programmes since 2000, the top
dances are

3x Asilomar Romantic, The Montgomeries' Rant
2x Alltshellach, The Bees of Maggieknockater, Equilibrium, Hooper's Jig,
Jack's Delight, Joie de Vivre, The Peat Fire Flame, Shene Gate
(plus 140 dances that only occurred on one programme)

Our strategy for programmes is to include a proportion of unfamiliar but
fairly straightforward dances in the first two thirds of an 18-dance
programme, but draw the final third from the repertoire of »old chestnuts«, on
the grounds that by that time of the evening our guests will have had enough
of the thrill of the unknown and prefer to coast along on autopilot. Judging
from the fact that we usually have most of the people present actually on the
dance floor until the end of the ball this seems to work for us.

Anselm

PS. The actual programmes are available from our club web site on
http://www.frankfurt-scd-club.org/history/ball-progs (German only, so far,
but the programmes themselves are of course in English).
--
Anselm Lingnau, Friedberg, Germany ..................... anselm@strathspey.org
Science is just another name for what can be shown to work reliably and

Most frequent dances - 500 programmes

Message 55953 · Peter McClure · 18 May 2009 00:48:58 · Top

>Thank you again, Campbell, for the interesting list.

From me, as well.

>I am constantly amazed at the lack of popularity, judging from your
>list and from other programs I have seen, of dances from the most
>recent RSCDS books, 43, 44 & 45, some of which I think are very good
>and have good prescribed tunes, but which remain absent it seems from
>dance programs. The one exception appears to be Napier's Index.

I see that Dream Catcher and Catch the Wind are well up.

>Does no-one like 51st Travelers, for example? or Mr Ian Stewart, or
>Cocket Hat? or Sands of Morar?

Sands of Morar was quite popular here when it came out. Mea culpa, I
must start sending in the programmes.

And how about The Wishing Well, and Festival Fling?

Peter McClure
Winnipeg, MB, Canada

Most frequent dances - 500 programmes

Message 55996 · Anja Breest · 22 May 2009 13:54:58 · Top

Martin Sheffield schrieb:
> Does no-one like 51st Travelers, for example? or Mr Ian Stewart, or
> Cocket Hat? or Sands of Morar?

We had Catch the wind and Sands of Morar on our programm 2008.
And I am quite sure it wasn't the only time I have danced them last year...

Greetings,
Anja

--
Anja Breest
Cologne, Germany

Cologne Scottish Country Dancers
http://www.rscds-cologne.de

Mail:
Strathspeylist: strathspey@rscds-cologne.de
Privat: anja.breest@girards.de

Most frequent dances - 500 programmes

Message 55997 · Angela Bulteel · 22 May 2009 14:12:23 · Top

All four dances mentioned have been on programmes in the Lancs area
probably a couple of times or more each in the past 12months, so yes they
are liked here to a degree. Regards Angela

>> Does no-one like 51st Travelers, for example? or Mr Ian Stewart, or
>> Cocket Hat? or Sands of Morar?

Most frequent dances - 500 programmes

Message 55999 · Chrissie Osborne · 22 May 2009 15:34:19 · Top

In the Northants area, we love Sands of Morar
Chrissie O

Message 55952 · Lara Friedman-Shedlov · 18 May 2009 00:13:38 · Top

I can't remember if someone brought this up before, but I'd be interested to
see a top 50 list when dances that are last on a program are excluded. It is
common to put a really well-known dance, often with a circle round and back
in it, for the last dance on a program. It seems to me there are certain
dances whose popularity appears exaggerated because they are often used as
the last dance. Reel of the 51st, Reel of the Royal Scots, and Deil Among
the Tailors (Montgomeries' Rant, too, though it doesn't have a circle) come
immediately to Mind. Not that they wouldn't otherwise be popular dances,
but I'm curious how often they are on programs in a spot other than last
dance.

I think it would also be interesting to look just at last dances on programs
and see how big the variety is. My impression is that it tends to be a much
more restricted pool of dances.

/ Lara Friedman-Shedlov
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

Lara Friedman~Shedlov