strathspey Archive: Top 10 music CDs for teaching Scottish dance

Top 10 music CDs for teaching Scottish dance

Message 52420 · MaryMorrissonDns · 13 May 2008 04:35:36 · Top

Our dance group -- Scotia Dancers in New York City -- plans to enhance the
limited CD collection that our teachers use for teaching RSCDS Scottish country
dancing. We would be most grateful if some teachers would recommend the top
10 music CDs you use for teaching your dance classes. Or some dancers would
recommend the top 10 CDs you like to dance to.

Thanks,
Mary

Mary Morrisson Abdill, New York City
Mary Morrisson Dancers - Scottish Dancers and Musicians

Top 10 music CDs for teaching Scottish dance

Message 52421 · Susan McKinnell · 13 May 2008 06:01:54 · Top

Not sure I can name limit it to 10, but these are ones I love to dance
to (in no particular order):
Gang on the Same Gate - Green Ginger
Miss Ogilvy's Fancy - Green Ginger
Celebrate 50 Years with the Boston Branch
Ghillies on the Golden Gate
San Francisco Vol. 2
The Music Makars
Jig for Joy - Music Makars
Muckle Carfuffle
Terpsichore
Memories of Scottish Weekend
More Memories of Scottish Weekend
Taylor & Imbrie: Live

Sue McKinnell (Chicago, USA)

--
Susan McKinnell luvscd@suedan.com http://suedan.com

"A house without a cat, and a well-fed, well-petted, and properly
revered cat, may be a perfect house, perhaps, but how can it prove
its title?"
- Mark Twain, The Tragedy of Pudd'nhead Wilson

Top 10 music CDs for teaching Scottish dance

Message 52424 · elissa h · 13 May 2008 11:36:25 · Top

These aren't in any specific order, but these are my favorites.

1. Music Makars - Catch the Wind
2. Miss Ogilvie's Fancy - Green Ginger
3. San Francisco Collection Vol. 2
4. Memories of Scottish Weekend I
5. Memories of Scottish Weekend II
6. Music Makars- Jig For Joy
7. Music Makars
8. Many Happy Returns - Hanneke Cassel/Dave Wiesler
9. Ready, And.... - Bobby Brown and the Scottish Accent
10. Boston Branch - Celebrating 50 years.

Elissa Hock
Akron, OH
On May 12, 2008, at 10:35 PM, MaryMorrissonDns@cs.com wrote:

> Our dance group -- Scotia Dancers in New York City -- plans to
> enhance the
> limited CD collection that our teachers use for teaching RSCDS
> Scottish country
> dancing. We would be most grateful if some teachers would
> recommend the top
> 10 music CDs you use for teaching your dance classes. Or some
> dancers would
> recommend the top 10 CDs you like to dance to.
>
> Thanks,
> Mary
>

> Mary Morrisson Abdill, New York City
> Mary Morrisson Dancers - Scottish Dancers and Musicians

Top 10 music CDs for teaching Scottish dance

Message 52431 · Colleen Putt · 13 May 2008 18:03:05 · Top

My personal library is not extensive, but I do have several 'go-to's.
My favourites are:
Ready And.... --- Bobby Brown et al
Ghillies on the Golden Gate --- Fiddlesticks and Ivory
Anything by the Music Makars
Vintage Goldring --- Muriel Johnston and her band.
You can't go wrong with any of the above.
Cheers,
Colleen

> These aren't in any specific order, but these are my favorites.
>
> 1. Music Makars - Catch the Wind
> 2. Miss Ogilvie's Fancy - Green Ginger
> 3. San Francisco Collection Vol. 2
> 4. Memories of Scottish Weekend I
> 5. Memories of Scottish Weekend II
> 6. Music Makars- Jig For Joy
> 7. Music Makars
> 8. Many Happy Returns - Hanneke Cassel/Dave Wiesler
> 9. Ready, And.... - Bobby Brown and the Scottish Accent
> 10. Boston Branch - Celebrating 50 years.
>
> Elissa Hock
> Akron, OH
> On May 12, 2008, at 10:35 PM, MaryMorrissonDns@cs.com wrote:
>
>> Our dance group -- Scotia Dancers in New York City -- plans to enhance the
>> limited CD collection that our teachers use for teaching RSCDS
>> Scottish country
>> dancing. We would be most grateful if some teachers would recommend the top
>> 10 music CDs you use for teaching your dance classes. Or some dancers would
>> recommend the top 10 CDs you like to dance to.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mary
>>

>> Mary Morrisson Abdill, New York City
>> Mary Morrisson Dancers - Scottish Dancers and Musicians

Top 10 music CDs for teaching Scottish dance

Message 52432 · Jock McVlug · 13 May 2008 18:37:16 · Top

My top 10:

any Stan Hamilton
2 CD "Memory Lane" (5 different bands... all Canadian)
Don Bartlett,
any Dave Cunningham,
any Gordon Shand
some of Jimmy Shand
Marian Anderson,
Carcary (Steve, I think)
Sandy Legget,
Jim Lindsay
Lots of Muriel with Keith,
etc, etc.

Jack in Beautiful British Columbia

Top 10 music CDs for teaching Scottish dance

Message 52434 · Rebecca Sager · 13 May 2008 19:10:34 · Top

So what's Etienne (of the Music Makars) - in your own state, Steve? Chopped liver?

Becky

Becky Sager
Marietta GA USA

-- Steven Epstein <sdepstein@yahoo.com> wrote:
Only rare in keltic music in the USA. We have plenty
of accordion players here; they just have names like
"Stas" and play a different kind of music. :)
Interesting how the Eastern and Central European
tradition of accordion music has thrived here but the
keltic tradition hasn't gotten a toe-hold.

Steve Epstein
Lancaster, PA

--- SMiskoe@aol.com wrote:

> Interesting to read the different postings and to
> notice that the majority
> of replies are from the USA where accordions are
> rare and fiddles rule. And
> most of the choices are fiddle bands.
> Sylvia Miskoe, Concord, NH USA
>

> **************Wondering what's for Dinner Tonight?
> Get new twists on family
> favorites at AOL Food.

Click to learn how to become a world famous writer or poet.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2121/fc/Ioyw6i3mz77QyADmzDoGJNtGTvVKY9V390tfYR6S7UrKdn5bkjOZLT/?count=1234567890

Top 10 music CDs for teaching Scottish dance

Message 52438 · Steven Epstein · 13 May 2008 21:36:42 · Top

Rare, but not completely absent. Also, he's from
Quebec, originally, I believe. They have a squeezebox
tradition, as well as a fiddle tradition. He would not
be chopped liver, but fois gras (sp?). Oil City is in
my state, but is further from Lancaster than NY City.
It might be closer to Cleveland. :)

Steve Epstein
Lancaster, PA

--- Becky Sager <bsager3@juno.com> wrote:

> So what's Etienne (of the Music Makars) - in your
> own state, Steve? Chopped liver?
>
> Becky
>
> Becky Sager
> Marietta GA USA
>

> -- Steven Epstein <sdepstein@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Only rare in keltic music in the USA. We have plenty
> of accordion players here; they just have names like
> "Stas" and play a different kind of music. :)
> Interesting how the Eastern and Central European
> tradition of accordion music has thrived here but
> the
> keltic tradition hasn't gotten a toe-hold.
>
> Steve Epstein
> Lancaster, PA
>
> --- SMiskoe@aol.com wrote:
>
> > Interesting to read the different postings and to
> > notice that the majority
> > of replies are from the USA where accordions are
> > rare and fiddles rule. And
> > most of the choices are fiddle bands.
> > Sylvia Miskoe, Concord, NH USA
> >

> > **************Wondering what's for Dinner Tonight?
> > Get new twists on family
> > favorites at AOL Food.

> Click to learn how to become a world famous writer
> or poet.

http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2121/fc/Ioyw6i3mz77QyADmzDoGJNtGTvVKY9V390tfYR6S7UrKdn5bkjOZLT/?count=1234567890

Top 10 music CDs for teaching Scottish dance

Message 52439 · SMiskoe · 13 May 2008 21:42:24 · Top

Etienne was Bobby Browns 2nd accordionist for 15 years.
Sylvia Miskoe, Concord, NH USA

favorites at AOL Food.

Top 10 music CDs for teaching Scottish dance

Message 52440 · Steven Epstein · 13 May 2008 22:06:10 · Top

Correction: Meadville, PA. Even closer to Cleveland.

Steve Epstein

--- Steven Epstein <sdepstein@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Rare, but not completely absent. Also, he's from
> Quebec, originally, I believe. They have a
> squeezebox
> tradition, as well as a fiddle tradition. He would
> not
> be chopped liver, but fois gras (sp?). Oil City is
> in
> my state, but is further from Lancaster than NY
> City.
> It might be closer to Cleveland. :)
>
> Steve Epstein
> Lancaster, PA
>
> --- Becky Sager <bsager3@juno.com> wrote:
>
> > So what's Etienne (of the Music Makars) - in your
> > own state, Steve? Chopped liver?
> >
> > Becky
> >
> > Becky Sager
> > Marietta GA USA
> >

> > -- Steven Epstein <sdepstein@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Only rare in keltic music in the USA. We have
> plenty
> > of accordion players here; they just have names
> like
> > "Stas" and play a different kind of music. :)
> > Interesting how the Eastern and Central European
> > tradition of accordion music has thrived here but
> > the
> > keltic tradition hasn't gotten a toe-hold.
> >
> > Steve Epstein
> > Lancaster, PA
> >
> > --- SMiskoe@aol.com wrote:
> >
> > > Interesting to read the different postings and
> > > notice that the majority
> > > of replies are from the USA where accordions are
> > > rare and fiddles rule. And
> > > most of the choices are fiddle bands.
> > > Sylvia Miskoe, Concord, NH USA
> > >

> > > **************Wondering what's for Dinner
> Tonight?
> > > Get new twists on family
> > > favorites at AOL Food.

> > Click to learn how to become a world famous writer
> > or poet.

http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2121/fc/Ioyw6i3mz77QyADmzDoGJNtGTvVKY9V390tfYR6S7UrKdn5bkjOZLT/?count=1234567890

Top 10 music CDs for teaching Scottish dance

Message 52441 · BSHobbs · 13 May 2008 23:33:49 · Top

I would agree with the submitted CD suggestions: Green Ginger, Music
Makars, Muriel & Keith, the San Francisco Collections/Fiddlesticks & Ivory/
Ramshaw-Worland-Bentley, Terpsichore, Memories of a Scottish Weekend. . . I use them
all extensively in my class.

I would also strongly recommend, if you wish to do any step practice,
Muriel's "With the Music, Ready.....And!" Not every class is lucky enough to have
musician(s). This is the next best thing. 78 tracks of snippets ranging
from 4 to 64 bars in all the various tempos (R/J/S/H/M). It even includes some
warm-up/cool-down waltzes.

Bradley Hobbs
Vermont

favorites at AOL Food.

Top 10 music CDs for teaching Scottish dance

Message 52425 · ron.mackey · 13 May 2008 14:32:31 · Top

I have too many to give you a top ten but my top 1 is
Jim Macleod & his Band
plays selected
Scottish Country Dances

Apart from Peggy's Wedding it is in constant use. PW is a bit of a
'mountain' for us but I can see many classes burning off their excess energy
on it.

Happy Dancing :)

Ron

Ron Mackey
RSCDS London, Croydon & International Branches

Top 10 music CDs for teaching Scottish dance

Message 52426 · SMiskoe · 13 May 2008 15:39:19 · Top

The RSCDS Book 45 CD played by George Meikle's band. It includes a 40 bar
jig.
Sylvia Miskoe, Concord, NH USA

favorites at AOL Food.

Top 10 music CDs for teaching Scottish dance

Message 52427 · Quinton · 13 May 2008 16:01:22 · Top

No question-
My alltime favourite is 'Haste Ye Back' by Muriel Johnstone's band. We don't
necessarily do all the dances named, but the tunes are great for using when
no tune is specified.
Mary
UK
> Our dance group -- Scotia Dancers in New York City -- plans to enhance the
> limited CD collection that our teachers use for teaching RSCDS Scottish
> country
> dancing. We would be most grateful if some teachers would recommend the
> top
> 10 music CDs you use for teaching your dance classes. Or some dancers
> would
> recommend the top 10 CDs you like to dance to.
>
> Thanks,
> Mary
>

> Mary Morrisson Abdill, New York City
> Mary Morrisson Dancers - Scottish Dancers and Musicians

Top 10 music CDs for teaching Scottish dance

Message 52428 · Bruce Herbold · 13 May 2008 16:29:24 · Top

I heartily endorse the other suggestions, but for the old accordion
band sound the Don Bartlet collection is great. And all the Bobby
Brown work is exceptional -- but "Ready And" might be my top choice
for him, but the 2 disc collection is great value. The collection
Memory Lane is a good sampler of the style.

It was never issued on CD but if you speak to other teachers you might
find the five volumes of Stan Hamilton to be alive and well in the
teacher's underground. Nothing better exists in that genre.

All are especially good for teaching because the beat couldn't be lost
by a deaf man in the neighboring city.

Just don't tell anyone in my branch that I had anything good to say
about accordion bands because we do love the wealth of great fiddlers
round here.

Oh and at least one of Muriel's dancng fingers CDs is a necessary part
of the collections -- Muriel's solo Anna Holden's Strathspey on volume
3 is a pure delight

Bruce Herbold
San Francisco

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 7:35 PM, <MaryMorrissonDns@cs.com> wrote:
> Our dance group -- Scotia Dancers in New York City -- plans to enhance the
> limited CD collection that our teachers use for teaching RSCDS Scottish country
> dancing. We would be most grateful if some teachers would recommend the top
> 10 music CDs you use for teaching your dance classes. Or some dancers would
> recommend the top 10 CDs you like to dance to.
>
> Thanks,
> Mary
>

> Mary Morrisson Abdill, New York City
> Mary Morrisson Dancers - Scottish Dancers and Musicians

Top 10 music CDs for teaching Scottish dance

Message 52429 · SMiskoe · 13 May 2008 16:39:13 · Top

Interesting to read the different postings and to notice that the majority
of replies are from the USA where accordions are rare and fiddles rule. And
most of the choices are fiddle bands.
Sylvia Miskoe, Concord, NH USA

favorites at AOL Food.

Top 10 music CDs for teaching Scottish dance

Message 52430 · Steven Epstein · 13 May 2008 17:33:10 · Top

--- SMiskoe@aol.com wrote:

> Interesting to read the different postings and to
> notice that the majority
> of replies are from the USA where accordions are
> rare and fiddles rule. And
> most of the choices are fiddle bands.
> Sylvia Miskoe, Concord, NH USA
>

> **************Wondering what's for Dinner Tonight?
> Get new twists on family
> favorites at AOL Food.

Top 10 music CDs for teaching Scottish dance

Message 52443 · Anselm Lingnau · 14 May 2008 08:38:00 · Top

Steven Epstein wrote:

> Interesting how the Eastern and Central European
> tradition of accordion music has thrived here but the
> keltic tradition hasn't gotten a toe-hold.

This may be because, by the time the accordion was invented, there hadn't been
any Celts around for a *very* long time :^)

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Friedberg, Germany ..................... anselm@strathspey.org
What we call 'Progress' is the exchange of one nuisance for another nuisance.

Top 10 music CDs for teaching Scottish dance

Message 52444 · Katharine Hoskyn · 14 May 2008 08:55:02 · Top

I will provide a reply from somewhere other than America.

This is a list of my 10 most-used CDs in the past 3 months - that means I
have taken into account the number of tracks used and number of times. (I
think most of the other replies were favourite CDs - which is a bit
different).

I think you also need to know the context in which I am teaching which is: a
youth group once a week during term time (young and inexperienced children
for half the session and experienced teenagers for the other half) and then
once a week a group of mixed ability adults (incorporating beginners in the
first half of the evening and catering to experienced dancers in the second
half).

My most used CDs (in no particular order are):

1. RSCDS Book 1
2. RSCDS Book 31 and 32 (largely because the youngsters were practising for
something that used one of the tracks)
3. RSCDS Book 40 (Children and Beginners Book)
4. RSCDS Graded book
5. RSCDS Favourites Vol 2 - not sure whether this is still available

6. Dancing Live by Muriel Johnstone with wonderful photo by Malcolm Brown
(hullo Malcolm) = lots of old favourites on this CD
7. Cairngorms by Keith Smith and Muriel Johnstone
8. Bobby Brown's double CD of The Island Fling, Maid of the Mill and Tarry
a While)
9. Taylor and Imbrie's Live!
10. A Dancing Master by Jennifer Wilson

I was surprised that the San Francisco Collection Vol 2 did not appear - it
just missed the top 10. The teenagers think this is super-cool - especially
Track 9 of Tomalena - it sends them onto a complete high - especially with
volume turned up.

On any one evening I make a point of trying to ensure that we dance to
different instruments. I also try to bring the music to a high point at
various stages in the evening. But for quite a lot of the teaching of less
experienced people, I am looking for steady rhythm. CDs with really
exciting music get used, but not with the same regularity as the steady
rhythm ones.

Hence my list is a little different to those previously posted.

Best wishes

Katharine

Katharine Hoskyn
Franklin County, New Zealand