strathspey Archive: The Elephant's Stampede

The Elephant's Stampede

Message 52118 · clive pitt · 19 Apr 2008 19:53:12 · Top

Could someone point me in the right direction as to what recordings are best suited to "The Elephant's Stampede".
Clive

The Elephant's Stampede

Message 52119 · Bruce Herbold · 19 Apr 2008 20:07:34 · Top

Well, I know no suitable recordings of Nellie the Elephant for The
Elephant's Stampede," but I can direct your attention to a recording
and video by a punk rock band called The Toy Dolls and say that their
video is one of the funnier things to be found on youtube -- it will
also give you a memorable alternative dance to do to the tune.

(Oh gadfrey, now the tune will be stuck in my head all day)

Bruce Herbold
San Francisco

On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 10:53 AM, Clive Pitt
<cp006c0425@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> Could someone point me in the right direction as to what recordings are best suited to "The Elephant's Stampede".
> Clive

The Elephant's Stampede

Message 52120 · Steve Wyrick · 19 Apr 2008 21:44:20 · Top

On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 11:07 AM, Bruce Herbold <bherbold@gmail.com> wrote:

> (Oh gadfrey, now the tune will be stuck in my head all day)

Yeah. Thanks a lot Bruce! :-)

--
Steve Wyrick -- Concord, California

The Elephant's Stampede

Message 52129 · James Tween · 20 Apr 2008 12:42:09 · Top

Hi Clive,

Here are a few ideas based on CDs I have access to and my experiences of the
dance.

Traquair House - Sandy Nixton - Highlander Music SCD Vol. 1 (time 3:38)
Bolt Court - David Anderson - Highlander Music SCD Vol. 8 (time 3:37)
--- two nice and steady versions

La Tempete - RSCDS - A Scottish Celebration (time 3:32)
--- feels slightly faster

Meg Merrilees - Ian Holmes - Highalnder Msuic SCD Vol. 4 (time 3:32)
--- also slightly faster, and 8x24, but those numbers work

Crossing the Line - George Meikle - Highlander Music SCD Vol. 10 (time 3:25)
--- fast, and although it's 6x32, the quantities are right, and if it's just
for a class then you use what you've got and it's good practice to dance a
bit faster because you never know what'll be played at the ball!

They're all common CDs and both the Music In Scotland website and TAC, as
well as other places, should be able to get you what you want.

To really get the feel for the dance, it's nice to go that bit quicker
because the dance flows and moves fantastically well. Obviously slower
works better for learning it.

Hope these suggestions help.

James
Preston, UK

From: "Loretta Holz" <loretta@varisys.com>
What other dances are "musts"? Which onces
> would make interesting additions to the program?
find a website master/mistress willing to post the programs?
> Loretta Holz, Warren, NJ, USA

We like The Barmkin (SQ)