strathspey Archive: Ceilidh in Scotland???

Ceilidh in Scotland???

Message 51897 · Marie Disiewicz · 10 Apr 2008 19:14:49 · Top

Hi to all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPfeiJ6ktbA&feature=related

I thought this a hoot. Is this Ceilidh dancing???

If so, now I know why when people go to the Ceilidhs and then show up at a Scottish Country dance class they think they are signing up for the same type of dancing that they did at the Ceilidh.

NOT SO SAYS I WITH A SMILE ON MY FACE

Enjoy
Marie

Ceilidh in Scotland???

Message 51898 · Pia Walker · 10 Apr 2008 19:49:18 · Top

I love the 'throw the lady into ....' - that is what he said wasn't it?

Pia

I thought this a hoot. Is this Ceilidh dancing???

If so, now I know why when people go to the Ceilidhs and then show up at a
Scottish Country dance class they think they are signing up for the same
type of dancing that they did at the Ceilidh.

NOT SO SAYS I WITH A SMILE ON MY FACE

Enjoy
Marie

Checked by AVG.
17:03

Checked by AVG.
17:03

Ceilidh in Scotland???

Message 51900 · Andrea Re · 10 Apr 2008 19:56:18 · Top

Pia ha scritto:
> I love the 'throw the lady into ....' - that is what he said wasn't it?

It was!!!!

Personally I hated it (and it made me cringe despite I had seen it
before). In particular I dislike the bobbing of the shoulders when he
sets (talking about affectations) and the tea pots (are they trying to
pick apples from a very high tree?). I must have been brainwashed...

Besides, Mary, when you go to a ceilidh here (please, leave Dick out on
this:) you get the Gay Gordons and the likes, so people are even MORE
disappointed when they go to a SCD class.

Andrea (fae Dundee)

Ceilidh in Scotland???

Message 51902 · Bruce Herbold · 10 Apr 2008 20:45:18 · Top

For a real wow! in the world of ceilidh music and dance check out
youtube for the videos of the ceilidh band 'Kilter' -- especially
their dashing white sergeant, but the others are jaw-dropping as well.
A band that sounds and looks like that would recruit a lot of people
to do just about anything, although the dancers seem a bit lost at
times as the music goes venturing into jazz harmonies and rock/jazz
rhythms. Again I say, wow! I wish they had a CD.

Bruce Herbold
San Francisco

On 4/10/08, Andrea Re <andrea@andrea-re.eu> wrote:
> Pia ha scritto:
> > I love the 'throw the lady into ....' - that is what he said wasn't it?
> >

> It was!!!!
>
> Personally I hated it (and it made me cringe despite I had seen it before).
> In particular I dislike the bobbing of the shoulders when he sets (talking
> about affectations) and the tea pots (are they trying to pick apples from a
> very high tree?). I must have been brainwashed...
>
> Besides, Mary, when you go to a ceilidh here (please, leave Dick out on
> this:) you get the Gay Gordons and the likes, so people are even MORE
> disappointed when they go to a SCD class.
>
> Andrea (fae Dundee)

Ceilidh in Scotland???

Message 51907 · Marie Disiewicz · 10 Apr 2008 22:06:30 · Top

Hi Bruce
If you are real serious about wanting a CD of Kilter's.
TACSound has two in stock, recorded in 2000 engineered and masterd by Keith
B. Smith at Kylin Studios.
A real party CD.
More than you needed to know???????
Cheers
Marie
> For a real wow! in the world of ceilidh music and dance check out
> youtube for the videos of the ceilidh band 'Kilter' -- especially
> their dashing white sergeant, but the others are jaw-dropping as well.
> A band that sounds and looks like that would recruit a lot of people
> to do just about anything, although the dancers seem a bit lost at
> times as the music goes venturing into jazz harmonies and rock/jazz
> rhythms. Again I say, wow! I wish they had a CD.
>
> Bruce Herbold
> San Francisco
>
> On 4/10/08, Andrea Re <andrea@andrea-re.eu> wrote:
>> Pia ha scritto:
>> > I love the 'throw the lady into ....' - that is what he said wasn't it?
>> >

>> It was!!!!
>>
>> Personally I hated it (and it made me cringe despite I had seen it
>> before).
>> In particular I dislike the bobbing of the shoulders when he sets
>> (talking
>> about affectations) and the tea pots (are they trying to pick apples from
>> very high tree?). I must have been brainwashed...
>>
>> Besides, Mary, when you go to a ceilidh here (please, leave Dick out on
>> this:) you get the Gay Gordons and the likes, so people are even MORE
>> disappointed when they go to a SCD class.
>>
>> Andrea (fae Dundee)
>>

> --
> 4/10/2008 12:23 PM

Ceilidh in Scotland???

Message 51910 · Bruce Herbold · 10 Apr 2008 22:40:48 · Top

okay -- I just orderd tehm through teh official tacsound email, but it
seems quite odd that no mention of CDs is on their homepage. That was
where I got the impression that they hadn't any.

thanks for the info, I look forward to the beloved, but increasingly
rare little package from Canada.

Bruce

On 4/10/08, Marie Disiewicz <speym@telus.net> wrote:
> Hi Bruce
> If you are real serious about wanting a CD of Kilter's.
> TACSound has two in stock, recorded in 2000 engineered and masterd by Keith
> B. Smith at Kylin Studios.
> A real party CD.
> More than you needed to know???????
> Cheers
> Marie
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Bruce Herbold" <bherbold@gmail.com>

Ceilidh in Scotland???

Message 51929 · Steven Epstein · 11 Apr 2008 10:05:30 · Top

Another band in that vein is the Black Rose Ceilidh
Band. They do have CD's (and a website).

Steve Epstein
Lancaster, PA

--- Marie Disiewicz <speym@telus.net> wrote:

> Hi Bruce
> If you are real serious about wanting a CD of
> Kilter's.
> TACSound has two in stock, recorded in 2000
> engineered and masterd by Keith
> B. Smith at Kylin Studios.
> A real party CD.
> More than you needed to know???????
> Cheers
> Marie

http://mail.yahoo.com

Ceilidh in Scotland???

Message 51903 · Rosemary Coupe · 10 Apr 2008 21:15:02 · Top

I found the video interesting. The dancers are following a different set of
conventions (the high-handed teapots, the crossed-hand turns with a clap
before, the arm turn in "Duke of Perth") but they're following them
consistently and seem to be in rhythm even without music. The allusion to
bruises was a bit ominous I agree, but "throw off a couple" was once
standard terminology for casting off and might have survived in the ceilidh
tradition. I enjoyed some of the teaching language too - probably just my
ignorance that I'd never heard the term "dormant" as opposed to "active"
couple, but it made things clear.

Rosemary Coupe
Vancouver

>> I love the 'throw the lady into ....' - that is what he said wasn't it?
>>
> It was!!!!
>
> Personally I hated it (and it made me cringe despite I had seen it
> before). In particular I dislike the bobbing of the shoulders when he sets
> (talking about affectations) and the tea pots (are they trying to pick
> apples from a very high tree?). I must have been brainwashed...
>
> Besides, Mary, when you go to a ceilidh here (please, leave Dick out on
> this:) you get the Gay Gordons and the likes, so people are even MORE
> disappointed when they go to a SCD class.
>
> Andrea (fae Dundee)

Ceilidh in Scotland???

Message 51904 · James Mungall · 10 Apr 2008 21:24:57 · Top

Well if I'm not mistaken, there have always been variants in Scottish Country Dance... particularly since there was no Society to make things standard. I suppose in some way it's nice to have some variants as it makes things a little more "cultured." But it can be a pain in the butt when you dance with someone from a different "tradition" and they try to grab your arm when you want their hand, or grabs your hand by the thumb instead of "handshake" hold as is typical in the RSCDS tradition. So I suppose I respect it... but I don't have to like it. :-)

-James Mungall
Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Rosemary Coupe <rcoupe@shaw.ca> wrote:
I found the video interesting. The dancers are following a different set of
conventions (the high-handed teapots, the crossed-hand turns with a clap
before, the arm turn in "Duke of Perth") but they're following them
consistently and seem to be in rhythm even without music. The allusion to
bruises was a bit ominous I agree, but "throw off a couple" was once
standard terminology for casting off and might have survived in the ceilidh
tradition. I enjoyed some of the teaching language too - probably just my
ignorance that I'd never heard the term "dormant" as opposed to "active"
couple, but it made things clear.

Rosemary Coupe
Vancouver

>> I love the 'throw the lady into ....' - that is what he said wasn't it?
>>
> It was!!!!
>
> Personally I hated it (and it made me cringe despite I had seen it
> before). In particular I dislike the bobbing of the shoulders when he sets
> (talking about affectations) and the tea pots (are they trying to pick
> apples from a very high tree?). I must have been brainwashed...
>
> Besides, Mary, when you go to a ceilidh here (please, leave Dick out on
> this:) you get the Gay Gordons and the likes, so people are even MORE
> disappointed when they go to a SCD class.
>
> Andrea (fae Dundee)

http://mail.yahoo.com

US Gulf Coast Workshops/Dances?

Message 51905 · James Mungall · 10 Apr 2008 21:41:02 · Top

Hi all,

Does anyone know of (or are planning) any US Gulf Coast area SCD workshops and or balls in the near future? I get so bummed out hearing about all these cool balls and socials and other get-togethers for SCD that are so far out of my reach... Dance class isn't enough anymore for the obsession. ;-)

-James Mungall
Baton Rouge, LA, USA

P.S. Even if it isn't technically "Gulf coast" if it's in the general area, that's fine too.

http://mail.yahoo.com

US Gulf Coast Workshops/Dances?

Message 51911 · Wendy Grubb · 10 Apr 2008 22:48:22 · Top

OK James,
You are in charge of planning and we will see about
putting something on.
Wendy
--- James Mungall <jeb_mungall@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone know of (or are planning) any US Gulf
> Coast area SCD workshops and or balls in the near
> future? I get so bummed out hearing about all these
> cool balls and socials and other get-togethers for
> SCD that are so far out of my reach... Dance class
> isn't enough anymore for the obsession. ;-)
>
> -James Mungall
> Baton Rouge, LA, USA
>
> P.S. Even if it isn't technically "Gulf coast" if
> it's in the general area, that's fine too.

http://mail.yahoo.com

Ceilidh in Scotland???

Message 51912 · ninian-uk · 10 Apr 2008 22:52:33 · Top

James,

I'm sure you and your father will both agree that this is not 'your' style
of dancing [sorry to speak for you on this one, Tom]. However, this is
exactly the same style of 'country house' SCD that is danced all over
Scotland. No wonder the Americans trained by this teacher got on so well at
the Caledonian Ball (in London). It's how most of the attendees dance there
(or it was the case 20 years ago), and at the Oban Ball and Perth Hunt Ball
(if they're still going?).

SCD has many threads. To quote Dr Alastair MacFadyen from the latest
Scottish Country Dancer (apologies to those who have still not had their
copy - I'm not intending to rub salt into your wounds), "For example, we
[the RSCDS] never included the gentry. They continued with their own
dancing."

This is the style of dancing style that I regularly meet at the Thistle Ball
in Cheltenham, and it is taught/accepted by a friend in the Cotswolds.
Students from Oxford, with a Scottish background, were particularly good at
dancing in this manner - putting us 'oldies' (or just more RSCDS 'correct')
dancers to shame with their speed and enthusiasm.

As contributors often point out, SCD is a living tradition, and the RSCDS
style is only one way of dancing.

David

Berkeley, Gloucestershire, UK

> Well if I'm not mistaken, there have always been variants in Scottish
> Country Dance... particularly since there was no Society to make things
> standard. I suppose in some way it's nice to have some variants as it
> makes things a little more "cultured." But it can be a pain in the butt
> when you dance with someone from a different "tradition" and they try to
> grab your arm when you want their hand, or grabs your hand by the thumb
> instead of "handshake" hold as is typical in the RSCDS tradition. So I
> suppose I respect it... but I don't have to like it. :-)
>
> -James Mungall
> Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Ceilidh in Scotland???

Message 51913 · Martin Sheffield · 10 Apr 2008 23:17:35 · Top

Whatever you may think of the style, notice at least the clear
uncluttered manner of teaching the dance; no wasted words, no time
spent on the kind of details beginners have no time for, ther man was
just getting on with the job -- actively demonstrating within the
set, not just words, words, words.
Business-like, efficient, with the aim of getting the dancers moving
in a dance as soon as possible.

I am sure the people watching a dance taught in this way will
remember what they saw and be able to do something very similar as
soon as their turn comes.

Martin,
in Grenoble, France.

Ceilidh in Scotland???

Message 51919 · Elainerb · 11 Apr 2008 00:49:02 · Top

Marie,

They look more like Reelers (the reeling style) to me than ceilidh.

I have NEVER seen a wheel done that way with hands held so high, in any
style? ...... the style of setting and clapping is reelers style.

Elaine
Maryland, USA

Ceilidh in Scotland???

Message 51920 · Bruce Herbold · 11 Apr 2008 01:22:49 · Top

Elaine, if you're familiar with this way to dance Speed the Plough
could you clarify for me the timing of the last 8 bars? It looks like
2 bars to get from second corner to the other end of the set and then
4 bars to set and 4 bars to turn twice round and 'throw' partner out
to place. Since that totals 10 bars, I'm figuring I must be
miscounting somewhere -- but the demo is so clear and I keep ending up
with a 34 bar dance. I echo the wish that they had included a video
of them actually dancing it. Oh well. (Mick Jagger said it best)

Bruce Herbold
San Francisco

On 4/10/08, Elainerb@aol.com <Elainerb@aol.com> wrote:
> Marie,
>
> They look more like Reelers (the reeling style) to me than ceilidh.
>
> I have NEVER seen a wheel done that way with hands held so high, in any
> style? ...... the style of setting and clapping is reelers style.
>
> Elaine
> Maryland, USA
>

> **************Planning your summer road trip? Check out AOL Travel Guides.
> (http://travel.aol.com/travel-guide/united-states?ncid=aoltrv00030000000016)

Ceilidh in Scotland???

Message 51922 · Bob McArthur · 11 Apr 2008 01:47:17 · Top

Bruce

On last 8 bars (or 10)

Listening to the caller on the first couple walkthrough I thought he said turn twice then changed that to one turn but they seemed to walk it as two turns

Bob> Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 16:22:49 -0700> From: bherbold@gmail.com> To: strathspey@strathspey.org> Subject: Re: Ceilidh in Scotland???> > Elaine, if you're familiar with this way to dance Speed the Plough> could you clarify for me the timing of the last 8 bars? It looks like> 2 bars to get from second corner to the other end of the set and then> 4 bars to set and 4 bars to turn twice round and 'throw' partner out> to place. Since that totals 10 bars, I'm figuring I must be> miscounting somewhere -- but the demo is so clear and I keep ending up> with a 34 bar dance. I echo the wish that they had included a video> of them actually dancing it. Oh well. (Mick Jagger said it best)> > Bruce Herbold> San Francisco> > On 4/10/08, Elainerb@aol.com <Elainerb@aol.com> wrote:> > Marie,> >> > They look more like Reelers (the reeling style) to me than ceilidh.> >> > I have NEVER seen a wheel done that way with hands held so high, in any> > style? ...... the style of setting and clapping is reelers style.> >> > Elaine> > Maryland, USA> >> >> >> >> >> > **************Planning your summer road trip? Check out AOL Travel Guides.> > (http://travel.aol.com/travel-guide/united-states?ncid=aoltrv00030000000016)> >
Win 100’s of Virgin Experience days with BigSnapSearch.com
http://www.bigsnapsearch.com

Ceilidh in Scotland???

Message 51925 · Pia Walker · 11 Apr 2008 07:46:39 · Top

Well - if you teach people to have hands that high up, perhaps they sink to
the required level during the dance - after all we are taught shoulder
height, and our hands usually end up navel height :>)

Pia

They look more like Reelers (the reeling style) to me than ceilidh.

I have NEVER seen a wheel done that way with hands held so high, in any
style? ...... the style of setting and clapping is reelers style.

Elaine
Maryland, USA

(http://travel.aol.com/travel-guide/united-states?ncid=aoltrv0003000000001
6)

Checked by AVG.
17:03

Checked by AVG.
17:03

Ceilidh in Scotland???

Message 51928 · Martin Sheffield · 11 Apr 2008 09:07:48 · Top

Le 11 avr. 08 à 07:46, Pia a écrit :
> Well - if you teach people to have hands that high up, perhaps they
> sink to
> the required level during the dance - after all we are taught shoulder
> height, and our hands usually end up navel height :>)

Good point !

Martin

Ceilidh in Scotland???

Message 51921 · James Mungall · 11 Apr 2008 01:46:33 · Top

Martin,

I think the teaching style is probably very effective--especially for those who learn visually or who need that "hands on" approach. I guess I've gotten to be (unfortunately and in some cases fortunately) a "style snob" because of a certain American "Period" dance group I dance with where they rarely pay attention to any kind of consistent form. I don't dislike dancing with people of different traditions, sometimes I pick up something I like more than what is "RSCDS acceptable." It's just sometimes hard to dance with others from a different tradition.

-James Mungall
Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA

Martin Sheffield <mj.sheffield@orange.fr> wrote:

Whatever you may think of the style, notice at least the clear
uncluttered manner of teaching the dance; no wasted words, no time
spent on the kind of details beginners have no time for, ther man was
just getting on with the job -- actively demonstrating within the
set, not just words, words, words.
Business-like, efficient, with the aim of getting the dancers moving
in a dance as soon as possible.

I am sure the people watching a dance taught in this way will
remember what they saw and be able to do something very similar as
soon as their turn comes.

Martin,
in Grenoble, France.

http://mail.yahoo.com

Ceilidh in Scotland???

Message 51927 · Martin Sheffield · 11 Apr 2008 09:06:21 · Top

Le 11 avr. 08 à 01:46, James Mungall a écrit :
(...)
> It's just sometimes hard to dance with others from a different
> tradition.

It would be, of one is not ready to make some adjustments when
leaving home.

Martin

Ceilidh in Scotland???

Message 51959 · ron.mackey · 12 Apr 2008 01:53:37 · Top

>I found the video interesting. The dancers are following a different set of
>conventions (the high-handed teapots, the crossed-hand turns with a clap
>before, the arm turn in "Duke of Perth") but they're following them
>consistently and seem to be in rhythm even without music.

From my recollection of the past that is what I would have called
Ceilidh Dancing. Usually a bit more vigorous and 'throw' would have been a
true description. When the RSCDS version of C.D. developed I could not
recognise it and was quite non-plussed.Happy Dancing :)

Ron

Ron Mackey
RSCDS London, Croydon & International Branches

Ceilidh in Scotland???

Message 51901 · Andrea Re · 10 Apr 2008 19:58:40 · Top

Marie Disiewicz ha scritto:
> Hi to all
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPfeiJ6ktbA&feature=related
>
> I thought this a hoot. Is this Ceilidh dancing???

Forgot... what about the airplanes (especially in the Duke of Perth)????

AAARRRGGGHHH!!!!!

Andrea (fae Dundee and obviously a party pooper)

The Edinburgh Uni dancers and the Sound of Music (was Ceilidh in Scotland???)

Message 51908 · Katharine Hoskyn · 10 Apr 2008 22:10:12 · Top

Hullo

I enjoyed the ceildh clips on You Tube. However it lead me to look at an
absolutely brilliant item by the Edinburgh University dancers using music
from the Sound of Music for a display of a range of Scottish country,
Highland and step movements.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qrdp-rWdxv0&feature=related

I am filled with admiration for all involved - dancers, choreographer,
costume designer etc.

Having been an avid fan of the Sound of Music for xxx (lots)years, I found
the performance fascinating. It captured the spirit of the Sound of Music.
The adaptation of SCD to this showed extraordinary imagination.

Does anyone know who choreographed it? Where did they get the idea? Or what
was the occasion? How long did it take to practice? Any background on the
history or story behind this would be greatly appreciated.

Best wishes

Katharine Hoskyn

Franklin County, NZ
(high on a hill with a couple of horses
Yeh o a yeh o a yeh a o)

The Edinburgh Uni dancers and the Sound of Music (was Ceilidh in Scotland???)

Message 51916 · Steve Wyrick · 10 Apr 2008 23:42:46 · Top

I don't have time to search for it but believe there was a discussion
of this on our list some time last year; should be in the archives...
-Steve

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 1:10 PM, Katharine Hoskyn <kat.hos@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
> Hullo
>
> I enjoyed the ceildh clips on You Tube. However it lead me to look at an
> absolutely brilliant item by the Edinburgh University dancers using music
> from the Sound of Music for a display of a range of Scottish country,
> Highland and step movements.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qrdp-rWdxv0&feature=related
>
> I am filled with admiration for all involved - dancers, choreographer,
> costume designer etc.
>
> Having been an avid fan of the Sound of Music for xxx (lots)years, I found
> the performance fascinating. It captured the spirit of the Sound of Music.
> The adaptation of SCD to this showed extraordinary imagination.
>
> Does anyone know who choreographed it? Where did they get the idea? Or what
> was the occasion? How long did it take to practice? Any background on the
> history or story behind this would be greatly appreciated.

--
Steve Wyrick -- Concord, California

The Edinburgh Uni dancers and the Sound of Music (was Ceilidhin Scotland???)

Message 51918 · Katharine Hoskyn · 11 Apr 2008 00:21:04 · Top

Thanks. The archives are unavailable at present. If this has already been
discussed, perhaps someone could send a private reply.

Katharine

wrote:
> Hullo
>
> I enjoyed the ceildh clips on You Tube. However it lead me to look at an
> absolutely brilliant item by the Edinburgh University dancers using music
> from the Sound of Music for a display of a range of Scottish country,
> Highland and step movements.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qrdp-rWdxv0&feature=related
>
> I am filled with admiration for all involved - dancers, choreographer,
> costume designer etc.
>
> Having been an avid fan of the Sound of Music for xxx (lots)years, I
found
> the performance fascinating. It captured the spirit of the Sound of
Music.
> The adaptation of SCD to this showed extraordinary imagination.
>
> Does anyone know who choreographed it? Where did they get the idea? Or
what
> was the occasion? How long did it take to practice? Any background on
the
> history or story behind this would be greatly appreciated.

--
Steve Wyrick -- Concord, California

The Edinburgh Uni dancers and the Sound of Music (was Ceilidhin Scotland???)

Message 51957 · Diane Jensen Donald · 11 Apr 2008 22:53:41 · Top

If you don't find any info, let me know. I know several members of that
group through my SCD experiences while living in the UK and I'd be glad to
contact someone there and ask about the choreographer.

Diane Donald
Boise, ID

On 4/10/08, Katharine Hoskyn <kat.hos@xtra.co.nz> wrote:

> Thanks. The archives are unavailable at present. If this has already
> been
> discussed, perhaps someone could send a private reply.
>
> Katharine

Message 51958 · seonaid.gent · 11 Apr 2008 23:24:40 · Top

Hi Katharine (and others),

The main choreographer was a girl called Nic Meller, although I did most of the highland bits, and there were various others who chipped in ideas as we were practicing.

We have had various video nights and trips to the Sing-along show and always thought it would be good to do. Nic then put the ideas together.

The occassion was the Inter Varsity Folk Dance Festival 2007, which was held in Edinburgh.

The costumes were mainly designed by Nic as well, although we used as much everyday stuff as possible eg my costume was my Aboyne skirt and blouse with bits of blue ribbon to make the braces. It took some of the audience a while to realise that the girls were dancing in 'white dresses with blue satin sashes'.

We had about 4 hours of practice although inevitably we didn't all dance it through together until we were there on the day.

(For those that don't know me, I'm the highland dancer nearest the camera in the blue/purple skirt)

If you want to know more, just let me know

Best wishes,

Seonaid
Markinch, Fife

http://uk.promotions.yahoo.com/forgood/

The Edinburgh Uni dancers and the Sound of Music (was Ceilidh in Scotland???)

Message 52241 · Stasa Morgan-Appel · 28 Apr 2008 01:10:43 · Top

Someone sent this to me about a year and a half ago, and it's what got me
onto YouTube for the first time ever.

Seonaid, I'm so glad to be able to identify someone. :)

It does look like it was an outrageous amount of fun!

- Stasa, Michigan, USA

Ceilidh in Scotland??? [Actually in America]

Message 51909 · Alasdair Graham · 10 Apr 2008 22:16:57 · Top

Marie Et Al,

No, this is not 'Ceilidh in Scotland' but Ceilidh in America.
See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-N8OO-17_M&feature=related which says
this gent is in NYC.
They may 'fit in in London' but wouldn't stand a chance in Scotland.

In Scotland Ceilidh is nothing like this.

Alasdair Graham.
Dumbarton, Scotland.

Looking for a dance?
Call up http://ceilidh.members.beeb.net/ to see if something suits.
Ceilidh Dance Pages
Country Dance Page & Newsletter.

I thought this a hoot. Is this Ceilidh dancing???

If so, now I know why when people go to the Ceilidhs and then show up at a
Scottish Country dance class they think they are signing up for the same
type of dancing that they did at the Ceilidh.

NOT SO SAYS I WITH A SMILE ON MY FACE

Enjoy
Marie

Ceilidh in Scotland??? [Actually in America]

Message 51915 · Martin Sheffield · 10 Apr 2008 23:32:50 · Top

and, after watching the film, did you read the snooty comments of
"agnesmicmac" ?

Outwith the kirk, there shall be no salvation!

How narrow-minded can one get?

I wonder if people such as this would be horrified too at the non-
standard dance to the non-standard music of "Sound of Music" (which I
think is just wonderful; I'd love to be in a group such as that).

Martin

Ceilidh in Scotland??? [Actually in America]

Message 51924 · Pia Walker · 11 Apr 2008 07:43:24 · Top

I'm sure they would be welcome in Scotland too - we are not that unfriendly

PIa