strathspey Archive: Magazine

Magazine

Message 51804 · ron.mackey · 7 Apr 2008 23:56:56 · Top

Hi,
I've just got the Scottish Dancer mag. and was idly looking at the front cover while enjoying a sandwich when I realised that something seemed - well, odd. I'm left-handed which might explain what I saw but I'd be interested if anyone else noticed something to ponder?
It's a great photogreph and has nothing to do with the subjects, who look charming, - just a dancing quirk.
Happy Dancing :)

Ron

Ron Mackey
RSCDS London, Croydon & International Branches

Magazine

Message 51819 · Katharine Hoskyn · 9 Apr 2008 08:02:41 · Top

Hi

My husband and I also agree that the photo of the dancers on the front of
the mag is wonderful. They look absolutely wonderful.

The rest of the room seems an 'interesting' arrangement of people - all over
the place and facing different directions with some semblances of lines but
not entirely clear. The men in the background seem to have their partner on
their left - or still be taking promenade hold. They certainly don't have
their partner on their right.

We wondered what they were dancing. There seem to be some musicians at the
other end of the room - possibly with faint representation of music stands
and fiddle sticks. But without a magnifying glass can't really tell. If so
why are many of the dancers facing down in promenade hold?

I wondered if they were dancing the Dunedin Festival dance and some had just
left the 6 hands across, whilst others were still there.

The acknowledgement for the photo is RSCDS conference - photo by Fraser
Band, who has a very good website.

My husband is left-handed. He couldn't see the relevance of being
left-handed to the question.

We give up. What's the answer? Ron

Katharine Hoskyn
Following consultation with Neil Horne

PS I am interested that you have just received the mag and so have I - at
different ends of the world.

Katharine Hoskyn
Franklin District, New Zealand

I've just got the Scottish Dancer mag. and was idly looking at the
front cover while enjoying a sandwich when I realised that something seemed
- well, odd. I'm left-handed which might explain what I saw but I'd be
interested if anyone else noticed something to ponder?
It's a great photogreph and has nothing to do with the subjects, who
look charming, - just a dancing quirk.
Happy Dancing :)

Ron

Ron Mackey
RSCDS London, Croydon & International Branches=

Magazine cover picture

Message 51822 · Jim Healy · 9 Apr 2008 09:43:48 · Top

Greetings!

The camera never lies but the man in the darkroom can confuse the issue.

Having looked at the original photograph from which the cover was cropped, it is bar 2 of the promenade and is taken through 1st man's place - the band was therefore on the left of the dancers as shown and the line of the sets is from left to right. The picture is from the AGM Ball on 2 November 2007 and the dance was EH3 7AF.

Jim Healy
Perth, Scotland

> From: kat.hos@xtra.co.nz> To: strathspey@strathspey.org> Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 18:02:41 +1200> Subject: RE: Magazine> > Hi> > My husband and I also agree that the photo of the dancers on the front of> the mag is wonderful. They look absolutely wonderful.> > The rest of the room seems an 'interesting' arrangement of people - all over> the place and facing different directions with some semblances of lines but> not entirely clear. The men in the background seem to have their partner on> their left - or still be taking promenade hold. They certainly don't have> their partner on their right.> > We wondered what they were dancing. There seem to be some musicians at the> other end of the room - possibly with faint representation of music stands> and fiddle sticks. But without a magnifying glass can't really tell. If so> why are many of the dancers facing down in promenade hold? > > I wondered if they were dancing the Dunedin Festival dance and some had just> left the 6 hands across, whilst others were still there.> > The acknowledgement for the photo is RSCDS conference - photo by Fraser> Band, who has a very good website.> > My husband is left-handed. He couldn't see the relevance of being> left-handed to the question.> > We give up. What's the answer? Ron> > > Katharine Hoskyn> Following consultation with Neil Horne> > PS I am interested that you have just received the mag and so have I - at> different ends of the world.> > > Katharine Hoskyn> Franklin District, New Zealand> > -----Original Message-----> From: strathspey-bounces-kat.hos=xtra.co.nz@strathspey.org> [mailto:strathspey-bounces-kat.hos=xtra.co.nz@strathspey.org] On Behalf Of> Ron Mackey> Sent: Tuesday, April 08, 2008 9:57 AM> To: STRATHSPEY> Subject: Magazine> > Hi,> I've just got the Scottish Dancer mag. and was idly looking at the> front cover while enjoying a sandwich when I realised that something seemed> - well, odd. I'm left-handed which might explain what I saw but I'd be> interested if anyone else noticed something to ponder?> It's a great photogreph and has nothing to do with the subjects, who> look charming, - just a dancing quirk.> Happy Dancing :)> > Ron> > Ron Mackey> RSCDS London, Croydon & International Branches=>

Magazine cover picture

Message 51829 · George Watt · 9 Apr 2008 10:32:59 · Top

I think the cover is wonderful, gives a great impression of Scottish Dance and what a relief, two YOUNG and very clearly talented dancers, not to mention that the young lady looks very lovely and the young man rather handsome.

A great advert and a picture that should be used on posters and any other advertising material.George T. Watt, 4 Ancrum Drive, Dundee. DD2 2JB Scotland. tel. 01382 642131> From: jimhealy@hotmail.com> To: strathspey@strathspey.org> Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 07:43:48 +0000> Subject: RE: Magazine cover picture> > Greetings!> > The camera never lies but the man in the darkroom can confuse the issue.> > Having looked at the original photograph from which the cover was cropped, it is bar 2 of the promenade and is taken through 1st man's place - the band was therefore on the left of the dancers as shown and the line of the sets is from left to right. The picture is from the AGM Ball on 2 November 2007 and the dance was EH3 7AF.> > Jim Healy> Perth, Scotland> > > > > From: kat.hos@xtra.co.nz> To: strathspey@strathspey.org> Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 18:02:41 +1200> Subject: RE: Magazine> > Hi> > My husband and I also agree that the photo of the dancers on the front of> the mag is wonderful. They look absolutely wonderful.> > The rest of the room seems an 'interesting' arrangement of people - all over> the place and facing different directions with some semblances of lines but> not entirely clear. The men in the background seem to have their partner on> their left - or still be taking promenade hold. They certainly don't have> their partner on their right.> > We wondered what they were dancing. There seem to be some musicians at the> other end of the room - possibly with faint representation of music stands> and fiddle sticks. But without a magnifying glass can't really tell. If so> why are many of the dancers facing down in promenade hold? > > I wondered if they were dancing the Dunedin Festival dance and some had just> left the 6 hands across, whilst others were still there.> > The acknowledgement for the photo is RSCDS conference - photo by Fraser> Band, who has a very good website.> > My husband is left-handed. He couldn't see the relevance of being> left-handed to the question.> > We give up. What's the answer? Ron> > > Katharine Hoskyn> Following consultation with Neil Horne> > PS I am interested that you have just received the mag and so have I - at> different ends of the world.> > > Katharine Hoskyn> Franklin District, New Zealand> > -----Original Message-----> From: strathspey-bounces-kat.hos=xtra.co.nz@strathspey.org> [mailto:strathspey-bounces-kat.hos=xtra.co.nz@strathspey.org] On Behalf Of> Ron Mackey> Sent: Tuesday, April 08, 2008 9:57 AM> To: STRATHSPEY> Subject: Magazine> > Hi,> I've just got the Scottish Dancer mag. and was idly looking at the> front cover while enjoying a sandwich when I realised that something seemed> - well, odd. I'm left-handed which might explain what I saw but I'd be> interested if anyone else noticed something to ponder?> It's a great photogreph and has nothing to do with the subjects, who> look charming, - just a dancing quirk.> Happy Dancing :)> > Ron> > Ron Mackey> RSCDS London, Croydon & International Branches=>
Amazing prizes every hour with Live Search Big Snap
http://www.bigsnapsearch.com

Magazine cover picture

Message 51836 · GOSS9@telefonica.net · 9 Apr 2008 11:43:17 · Top

While I am familiar with the expression that "the camera never lies",
the darkroom guy is not the entire problem. Often, in his choice of
framing, the photographer and the darkroom guy often lie, here meaning
changing reality. During the takeover of Tehran by the fundamentalists,
there was a photo in one periodical showing a rather mean looking guy
holding an uzi standing in the street. As a comment on this a rival
periodical showed the entire shot from which it was cropped. In the
full shot, no one noticed the guy with the uzi, traffic looked pretty
much the same as in London. So instead of being a fearful sight, in
London, this guy would just be wierd.

[I know if the uzi was real it would not have been allowed in London]

Magazine cover picture

Message 51839 · Katharine Hoskyn · 9 Apr 2008 12:30:21 · Top

Well I think that I came up with a pretty imaginative answer. Edward De
Bono would be proud of my lateral thinking - but it wasn't lateral enough to
think of the photo being taken sideways - in a mighty wide hall! Jim's
explanation does make sense.

But I won't comment about the covering of sets across the hall as it was a
social occasion and people were obviously having fun.

Katharine Hoskyn
Franklin District, New Zealand
(The land with speedy mail link with Scotland)

The camera never lies but the man in the darkroom can confuse the issue.

Having looked at the original photograph from which the cover was cropped,
it is bar 2 of the promenade and is taken through 1st man's place - the band
was therefore on the left of the dancers as shown and the line of the sets
is from left to right. The picture is from the AGM Ball on 2 November 2007
and the dance was EH3 7AF.

Jim Healy
Perth, Scotland

> From: kat.hos@xtra.co.nz> To: strathspey@strathspey.org> Date: Wed, 9 Apr
2008 18:02:41 +1200> Subject: RE: Magazine> > Hi> > My husband and I also
agree that the photo of the dancers on the front of> the mag is wonderful.
They look absolutely wonderful.> > The rest of the room seems an
'interesting' arrangement of people - all over> the place and facing
different directions with some semblances of lines but> not entirely clear.
The men in the background seem to have their partner on> their left - or
still be taking promenade hold. They certainly don't have> their partner on
their right.> > We wondered what they were dancing. There seem to be some
musicians at the> other end of the room - possibly with faint representation
of music stands> and fiddle sticks. But without a magnifying glass can't
really tell. If so> why are many of the dancers facing down in promenade
hold? > > I wondered if they were dancing the Dunedin Festival dance and
some had just> left the 6 hands across, whilst others were still there.> >
The acknowledgement for the photo is RSCDS conference - photo by Fraser>
Band, who has a very good website.> > My husband is left-handed. He couldn't
see the relevance of being> left-handed to the question.> > We give up.
What's the answer? Ron> > > Katharine Hoskyn> Following consultation with

Magazine cover picture

Message 51849 · Jim Healy · 9 Apr 2008 16:13:04 · Top

Greetings!

Katharine Hoskyn comments:
> - in a mighty wide hall!
With about 80 sets on the floor, it does need a fairly large hall <grin>

As for Ron's enigma - apart from the right hands being a little higher than I would prefer as a teacher, I am obviously missing something.
The one thing it is not is a reversed negative (what's a negative?)

Jim Healy

> From: kat.hos@xtra.co.nz> To: strathspey@strathspey.org> Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 22:30:21 +1200> Subject: RE: Magazine cover picture> > Well I think that I came up with a pretty imaginative answer. Edward De> Bono would be proud of my lateral thinking - but it wasn't lateral enough to> think of the photo being taken sideways - in a mighty wide hall! Jim's> explanation does make sense.> > But I won't comment about the covering of sets across the hall as it was a> social occasion and people were obviously having fun.> > Katharine Hoskyn> Franklin District, New Zealand> (The land with speedy mail link with Scotland)> > -----Original Message-----> From: strathspey-bounces-kat.hos=xtra.co.nz@strathspey.org> [mailto:strathspey-bounces-kat.hos=xtra.co.nz@strathspey.org] On Behalf Of> Jim Healy> Sent: Wednesday, April 09, 2008 7:44 PM> To: SCD news and discussion> Subject: RE: Magazine cover picture> > Greetings!> > The camera never lies but the man in the darkroom can confuse the issue.> > Having looked at the original photograph from which the cover was cropped,> it is bar 2 of the promenade and is taken through 1st man's place - the band> was therefore on the left of the dancers as shown and the line of the sets> is from left to right. The picture is from the AGM Ball on 2 November 2007> and the dance was EH3 7AF.> > Jim Healy> Perth, Scotland> > > > > From: kat.hos@xtra.co.nz> To: strathspey@strathspey.org> Date: Wed, 9 Apr> 2008 18:02:41 +1200> Subject: RE: Magazine> > Hi> > My husband and I also> agree that the photo of the dancers on the front of> the mag is wonderful.> They look absolutely wonderful.> > The rest of the room seems an> 'interesting' arrangement of people - all over> the place and facing> different directions with some semblances of lines but> not entirely clear.> The men in the background seem to have their partner on> their left - or> still be taking promenade hold. They certainly don't have> their partner on> their right.> > We wondered what they were dancing. There seem to be some> musicians at the> other end of the room - possibly with faint representation> of music stands> and fiddle sticks. But without a magnifying glass can't> really tell. If so> why are many of the dancers facing down in promenade> hold? > > I wondered if they were dancing the Dunedin Festival dance and> some had just> left the 6 hands across, whilst others were still there.> >> The acknowledgement for the photo is RSCDS conference - photo by Fraser>> Band, who has a very good website.> > My husband is left-handed. He couldn't> see the relevance of being> left-handed to the question.> > We give up.> What's the answer? Ron> > > Katharine Hoskyn> Following consultation with >

Magazine cover picture

Message 51855 · hways · 9 Apr 2008 17:54:19 · Top

Amid all the discussion, I do not think anyone has mentioned the names of
the two dancers. Could not find that in the magazine, where it should have
been.

Harry Ways
Potomac, MD

> [...]

> entirely clear.> The men in the background seem to have their partner on>
> their left - or> still be taking promenade hold. They certainly don't
> have> their partner on> their right.> > We wondered what they were
> dancing. There seem to be some> musicians at the> other end of the room -
> possibly with faint representation> of music stands> and fiddle sticks.
> But without a magnifying glass can't> really tell. If so> why are many of
> the dancers facing down in promenade> hold? > > I wondered if they were
> dancing the Dunedin Festival dance and> some had just> left the 6 hands
> across, whilst others were still there.> >> The acknowledgement for the
> photo is RSCDS conference - photo by Fraser>> Band, who has a very good
> website.> > My husband is left-handed. He couldn't> see the relevance of
> being> left-handed to the question.> > We give up.> What's the answer?

Message 51859 · Fiona Kopeny · 9 Apr 2008 20:44:02 · Top

I must admit to being very intrigued. My membership has lapsed since I
moved quite a distance away. Can someone post the front picture somehow?

Fiona

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 10:54 AM, Harry W <hways@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> Amid all the discussion, I do not think anyone has mentioned the names of
> the two dancers. Could not find that in the magazine, where it should have
> been.
>
> Harry Ways
> Potomac, MD
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Healy" <jimhealy@hotmail.com>

Fiona Kopeny, Import Facilitator
Seybold International Corp.

"There are three kinds of people in the world,
those who can count and those who can't."

View Alexander's website --> http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/alexj
View Robyn's website --> http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/r/robynk

Magazine cover picture

Message 51866 · Moira Theriault · 10 Apr 2008 01:11:39 · Top

Harry Ways wrote: >>Amid all the discussion, I do not think anyone has mentioned the names of the two dancers. Could not find that in the magazine, where it should have been.<<

That was my first thought when I saw the picture. It is absolutely wonderful and the dancers should have received some credit in the Magazine for their poise. Bev, their hands look like they are in the correct position to me although, if I were to be really picky, I might suggest that the young man swivel his wrist slightly so that he is leading his partner with his thumb in the upward position (as though he were holding the handle of a mug) rather than palm down.

BTW, my magazine arrived today, Wednesday April 9th, in Colorado.

Moira Theriault
Colorado Springs

Magazine cover picture

Message 51881 · Claire Eymin · 10 Apr 2008 08:10:53 · Top

If am not mistaken the lady is Gillian Few. I do not know the young man
however.

Claire,
Grenoble, France

2008/4/10 Moira <gr8scot@earthlink.net>:

> Harry Ways wrote: >>Amid all the discussion, I do not think anyone has
> mentioned the names of the two dancers. Could not find that in the magazine,
> where it should have been.<<
>
> That was my first thought when I saw the picture. It is absolutely
> wonderful and the dancers should have received some credit in the Magazine
> for their poise. Bev, their hands look like they are in the correct
> position to me although, if I were to be really picky, I might suggest that
> the young man swivel his wrist slightly so that he is leading his partner
> with his thumb in the upward position (as though he were holding the handle
> of a mug) rather than palm down.
>
> BTW, my magazine arrived today, Wednesday April 9th, in Colorado.
>
> Moira Theriault
> Colorado Springs

Magazine cover picture

Message 51884 · Martin Sheffield · 10 Apr 2008 09:17:39 · Top

Le 10 avr. 08 à 08:10, Claire Eymin a écrit :
> If am not mistaken (...)
>
> Claire,
> Grenoble, France

who received two copies -- one for the club, of course, which she
showed us -- while I am still waiting, just down the road.

Martin,
Grenoble, France.

Magazine cover picture

Message 51892 · Ian Brockbank · 10 Apr 2008 11:36:45 · Top

Claire wrote:

> If am not mistaken the lady is Gillian Few. I do not know the
> young man however.

Andrew Nolan, originally from London Branch, currently dancing in
Edinburgh.

Cheers,

Ian

Privacy & Confidentiality Notice
This message and any attachments contain privileged and confidential information that is intended solely for the person(s) to whom it is addressed. If you are not an intended recipient you must not: read; copy; distribute; discuss; take any action in or make any reliance upon the contents of this message; nor open or read any attachment. If you have received this message in error, please notify us as soon as possible on the following telephone number and destroy this message including any attachments. Thank you.
Wolfson Microelectronics plc
Tel: +44 (0)131 272 7000
Fax: +44 (0)131 272 7001
Web: www.wolfsonmicro.com

Registered in Scotland

Company number SC089839

Registered office:

Westfield House, 26 Westfield Road, Edinburgh, EH11 2QB, UK

Magazine cover picture

Message 51894 · George Watt · 10 Apr 2008 12:11:28 · Top

Or even Gillian Frew!

Ericht SCDC BlairgowrieGeorge T. Watt, 4 Ancrum Drive, Dundee. DD2 2JB Scotland. tel. 01382 642131> Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 10:36:45 +0100> From: Ian.Brockbank@wolfsonmicro.com> To: strathspey@strathspey.org> Subject: RE: Magazine cover picture> > Claire wrote:> > > If am not mistaken the lady is Gillian Few. I do not know the > > young man however. > > Andrew Nolan, originally from London Branch, currently dancing in> Edinburgh.> > Cheers,> > Ian> > > Privacy & Confidentiality Notice> -------------------------------------------------> This message and any attachments contain privileged and confidential information that is intended solely for the person(s) to whom it is addressed. If you are not an intended recipient you must not: read; copy; distribute; discuss; take any action in or make any reliance upon the contents of this message; nor open or read any attachment. If you have received this message in error, please notify us as soon as possible on the following telephone number and destroy this message including any attachments. Thank you.> -------------------------------------------------> Wolfson Microelectronics plc> Tel: +44 (0)131 272 7000> Fax: +44 (0)131 272 7001> Web: www.wolfsonmicro.com> > Registered in Scotland> > Company number SC089839> > Registered office: > > Westfield House, 26 Westfield Road, Edinburgh, EH11 2QB, UK>
Get Hotmail on your mobile. Text MSN to 63463 now!
http://mobile.uk.msn.com/pc/mail.aspx

Magazine cover picture

Message 51882 · Andrew Smith · 10 Apr 2008 08:50:07 · Top

Fiona Kopeny wrote:
>I must admit to being very intrigued. My membership has lapsed since I
>moved quite a distance away.

Fiona,
You are obviously interested enough to still be a Strathspey member, so
would you consider joining the Society again and being a member of the
International Branch? In this way you would still get the magazine etc.
[I do not think that anyone has mentioned the 4 dance booklet included with
this issue.]
Contact Pia Walker for further information.
Andrew Smith,
Bristol, UK.

>I must admit to being very intrigued. My membership has lapsed since I
> moved quite a distance away. Can someone post the front picture somehow?
>
> Fiona
>
> On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 10:54 AM, Harry W <hways@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
>> Amid all the discussion, I do not think anyone has mentioned the names of
>> the two dancers. Could not find that in the magazine, where it should
>> have
>> been.
>>
>> Harry Ways
>> Potomac, MD
>>
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Healy" <jimhealy@hotmail.com>

Message 51883 · Margaret Lambourne · 10 Apr 2008 09:08:26 · Top

I haven't received mine yet in the Netherlands and the last time I
had to ask for it to be sent again as it didn't arrive at all.

You beat me to the plug for the International Branch, Andrew. Do
contact Pia asap, Fiona, so you can enjoy the whole magazine.

Margaret,
Nieuwegein, The Netherlands

On Apr 10, 2008, at 8:50 AM, Andrew Smith wrote:

> Fiona Kopeny wrote:
>> I must admit to being very intrigued. My membership has lapsed
>> since I moved quite a distance away.
>
> Fiona,
> You are obviously interested enough to still be a Strathspey
> member, so would you consider joining the Society again and being a
> member of the International Branch? In this way you would still get
> the magazine etc.
> [I do not think that anyone has mentioned the 4 dance booklet
> included with this issue.]
> Contact Pia Walker for further information.
> Andrew Smith,
> Bristol, UK.

Magazine cover picture

Message 51885 · Pia Walker · 10 Apr 2008 09:49:28 · Top

I have already been talking to Fiona :>) And as a good girl am trying to
get her to join the RSCDS again - she does have a branch near her.

But seriously - you people out there who move frequently, stop in one place
temporarily and are happily transient - Do investigate the International
Branch - We have a lovely bunch of welcoming people spread all over the
world.

Pia

I haven't received mine yet in the Netherlands and the last time I
had to ask for it to be sent again as it didn't arrive at all.

You beat me to the plug for the International Branch, Andrew. Do
contact Pia asap, Fiona, so you can enjoy the whole magazine.

Margaret,
Nieuwegein, The Netherlands

On Apr 10, 2008, at 8:50 AM, Andrew Smith wrote:

> Fiona Kopeny wrote:
>> I must admit to being very intrigued. My membership has lapsed
>> since I moved quite a distance away.
>
> Fiona,
> You are obviously interested enough to still be a Strathspey
> member, so would you consider joining the Society again and being a
> member of the International Branch? In this way you would still get
> the magazine etc.
> [I do not think that anyone has mentioned the 4 dance booklet
> included with this issue.]
> Contact Pia Walker for further information.
> Andrew Smith,
> Bristol, UK.

Checked by AVG.
17:03

Checked by AVG.
17:03

Magazine

Message 51824 · Sophie Rickebusch · 9 Apr 2008 10:03:55 · Top

Well, Ron and Katherine, you've now both got everyone else on tenterhooks,
waiting for their magazines!

It usually arrives in France about 2 weeks after the UK (and NZ apparently -
interesting!), ie. it should arrive when I move, so the French post office will
have to forward to me... in Edinburgh!

Sophie

--
Sophie Rickebusch
FR - St Martin d'Heres

Magazine

Message 51832 · Bob McArthur · 9 Apr 2008 10:48:15 · Top

Help!

Where does one get this magazine???

Bob

> Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 10:03:55 +0200> From: sophie.rickebusch@free.fr> To: strathspey@strathspey.org> Subject: RE: Magazine> > Well, Ron and Katherine, you've now both got everyone else on tenterhooks,> waiting for their magazines!> > It usually arrives in France about 2 weeks after the UK (and NZ apparently -> interesting!), ie. it should arrive when I move, so the French post office will> have to forward to me... in Edinburgh!> > Sophie> > Selon Katharine Hoskyn <kat.hos@xtra.co.nz>:> > > PS I am interested that you have just received the mag and so have I - at> > different ends of the world.> > > > -- > Sophie Rickebusch> FR - St Martin d'Heres
The next generation of Windows Live is here
http://www.windowslive.co.uk/get-live

Magazine

Message 51834 · Andrew Smith · 9 Apr 2008 11:04:12 · Top

As an RSCDS member - it is sent direct from the Society.
Mine arrived yesterday.
Andrew Smith,
Bristol, UK
> Katherine, you've now both got everyone else on tenterhooks,> waiting for
> their magazines!> > It usually arrives in France about 2 weeks after the
> UK (and NZ apparently -> interesting!), ie. it should arrive when I move,
> so the French post office will> have to forward to me... in Edinburgh!> >
> Sophie> > Selon Katharine Hoskyn <kat.hos@xtra.co.nz>:> > > PS I am
> interested that you have just received the mag and so have I - at> >
> different ends of the world.> > > > -- > Sophie Rickebusch> FR - St Martin
> d'Heres
The next generation of Windows Live is here
http://www.windowslive.co.uk/get-live

Magazine

Message 51835 · Bob McArthur · 9 Apr 2008 11:13:16 · Top

Thanks Andrew,

I am a member through the London Branch so I will watch the mail for the Magazine.
I do get "The Reel" from London.

Bob> From: afsmith@talktalk.net> To: strathspey@strathspey.org> Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 10:04:12 +0100> Subject: Re: Magazine> > As an RSCDS member - it is sent direct from the Society.> Mine arrived yesterday.> Andrew Smith,> Bristol, UK> ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Robert James Robertson McArthur" <rjrmcarthur@hotmail.co.uk>> To: "SCD news and discussion" <strathspey@strathspey.org>> Sent: Wednesday, April 09, 2008 9:48 AM> Subject: RE: Magazine> > > > Help!> > Where does one get this magazine???> > Bob> > > > > Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 10:03:55 +0200> From: sophie.rickebusch@free.fr> To: > > strathspey@strathspey.org> Subject: RE: Magazine> > Well, Ron and > > Katherine, you've now both got everyone else on tenterhooks,> waiting for > > their magazines!> > It usually arrives in France about 2 weeks after the > > UK (and NZ apparently -> interesting!), ie. it should arrive when I move, > > so the French post office will> have to forward to me... in Edinburgh!> > > > Sophie> > Selon Katharine Hoskyn <kat.hos@xtra.co.nz>:> > > PS I am > > interested that you have just received the mag and so have I - at> > > > different ends of the world.> > > > -- > Sophie Rickebusch> FR - St Martin > > d'Heres> _________________________________________________________________> The next generation of Windows Live is here> http://www.windowslive.co.uk/get-live > >
Welcome to the next generation of Windows Live
http://www.windowslive.co.uk/get-live

Magazine

Message 51845 · Thomas G. Mungall, III · 9 Apr 2008 14:58:24 · Top

Let's see, it is 4550 miles between Bristol, England and Baton Rouge,
Louisiana, USA, so, I expect my magazine tomorrow! :-D

Tom Mungall
Baton Rouge, La, USA

From: "Alasdair Graham" <alasdair.graham@blueyonder.co.uk>

> Relax Tom. Here in the West of Scotland, 80 miles from Edinburgh, we
don't
> have the magazine either.
> I just checked with Glasgow Branch secretary and she hasn't received her
> copy either.
>
> Alasdair Graham
> Dumbarton, Scotland.
>

> > Let's see, it is 4550 miles between Bristol, England and Baton Rouge,
> > Louisiana, USA, so, I expect my magazine tomorrow! :-D
> >
> > Tom Mungall
> > Baton Rouge, La, USA

Magazine

Message 51932 · ron.mackey · 11 Apr 2008 12:05:49 · Top

As most people seem to have had their Mags. within a short space of time (I
think someone should take a bow!) I'll air my answer.

What struck me it the fact that the man is on his partners left.
That means that his black covered right arm is right across her body and,
for me, distracted me from the picture.
If he had been on his partner's right he would have his right hand in
the 'lead' position and the left would be underneath so the the lady would
by open to view by all.
It depends on the requirements of the dance on which side the man should
be so - if approaching from the left (this is where being open-minded
left-handed comes in!) why does the man not lead with his _left_ hand with
his right underneath to present the better picture?
When dancing in class, ballroom or Dem floor, I have often taken Prom
hold and felt that the lady was in danger of an elbow in the mouth or being
scratched by diamond shaped metal buttons. It is only thinking of this
picture that has 'gelled' this thought which has been sloshing liquidly
round my skull for the best part of 50 years! :~) It is something which
subconciously I have endeavoured to deal with all this time.

Of course there is no solution and most dancers will say I'm talking
rubbish but discussing rubbish _can_ be fun!? As for leading with the left
hand - it is only recently that the left hand has been accepted as a
sensible tool for passing one's partner down (or up) and across to own
sides!
As to the hand position - yes men were always taught to lead palms up
but It is quite often seen these days for a compromise to be reached
especially if the lady is very used to dancing 'man'.

As some distant TV character used to say - 'It makes yer fink, dunnit?'.

Happy Dancing :)

Ron

Ron Mackey
RSCDS London, Croydon & International Branches

Magazine

Message 51947 · Pia Walker · 11 Apr 2008 20:34:36 · Top

Am I the only one who is sitting at my pc - holding my arms out in front of
me - slightly moving my arms, wrists and hands to certain positions?

I'm so glad it is only my cat looking at me right now :>)

Pia

[...]

Message 51949 · Bob McArthur · 11 Apr 2008 20:43:21 · Top

No, Joan Donald and myself have been discussing on the phone how 'mincing little steps' could be used in The Dancing Master or the Market Square and still get back to where one should be at the end of the prom

Bob

> From: pia@intamail.com> To: strathspey@strathspey.org> Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 19:34:36 +0100> Subject: RE: Magazine> > Am I the only one who is sitting at my pc - holding my arms out in front of> me - slightly moving my arms, wrists and hands to certain positions?> > I'm so glad it is only my cat looking at me right now :>)> > Pia> > -----Original Message-----> From: strathspey-bounces-pia=intamail.com@strathspey.org> [mailto:strathspey-bounces-pia=intamail.com@strathspey.org]On Behalf Of Ron> Mackey> Sent: 11 April 2008 11:06> To: SCD news and discussion> Subject: Re: Magazine> > As most people seem to have had their Mags. within a short space of time (I> think someone should take a bow!) I'll air my answer.> > What struck me it the fact that the man is on his partners left.> That means that his black covered right arm is right across her body and,> for me, distracted me from the picture.> If he had been on his partner's right he would have his right hand in> the 'lead' position and the left would be underneath so the the lady would> by open to view by all.> It depends on the requirements of the dance on which side the man should> be so - if approaching from the left (this is where being open-minded> left-handed comes in!) why does the man not lead with his _left_ hand with> his right underneath to present the better picture?> When dancing in class, ballroom or Dem floor, I have often taken Prom> hold and felt that the lady was in danger of an elbow in the mouth or being> scratched by diamond shaped metal buttons. It is only thinking of this> picture that has 'gelled' this thought which has been sloshing liquidly> round my skull for the best part of 50 years! :~) It is something which> subconciously I have endeavoured to deal with all this time.> > Of course there is no solution and most dancers will say I'm talking> rubbish but discussing rubbish _can_ be fun!? As for leading with the left> hand - it is only recently that the left hand has been accepted as a> sensible tool for passing one's partner down (or up) and across to own> sides!> As to the hand position - yes men were always taught to lead palms up> but It is quite often seen these days for a compromise to be reached> especially if the lady is very used to dancing 'man'.> > As some distant TV character used to say - 'It makes yer fink, dunnit?'.> > Happy Dancing :)> > Ron> > Ron Mackey> RSCDS London, Croydon & International Branches> > > No virus found in this incoming message.> Checked by AVG.> Version: 7.5.519 / Virus Database: 269.22.10/1366 - Release Date: 08/04/2008> 17:03> > No virus found in this outgoing message.> Checked by AVG.> Version: 7.5.519 / Virus Database: 269.22.10/1366 - Release Date: 08/04/2008> 17:03> >
Welcome to the next generation of Windows Live
http://www.windowslive.co.uk/get-live

Magazine

Message 51951 · Andrew Smith · 11 Apr 2008 21:03:32 · Top

Oh, Pia - A cat now , as well as an up-graded broomstick?
Things are starting to look serious.
Any sign of movement from the broomstick?
Andrew Smith,
Bristol, UK.
> Am I the only one who is sitting at my pc - holding my arms out in front
> of
> me - slightly moving my arms, wrists and hands to certain positions?
>
> I'm so glad it is only my cat looking at me right now :>)
>
> Pia

Magazine

Message 51952 · Pia Walker · 11 Apr 2008 21:28:26 · Top

Nah - even when I wave my arms about, it won't lift off - perhaps I need to
shed my traditional build.

Pia
Double Double toil and trouble

> Am I the only one who is sitting at my pc - holding my arms out in front
> of
> me - slightly moving my arms, wrists and hands to certain positions?
>
> I'm so glad it is only my cat looking at me right now :>)
>
> Pia

Checked by AVG.
17:03

Checked by AVG.
17:03

Magazine

Message 51969 · Lydia Hedge · 12 Apr 2008 16:48:08 · Top

Well, Canada is even further behind. Nothing here yet.

Lydia Hedge
Nova Scotia

administrativa

Message 51953 · Pia Walker · 11 Apr 2008 21:31:36 · Top

I just received this message - why? I have not done anything I haven't done
for years. I.e. hit the reply button.

Pia

I'm sorry but your message was rejected because it contained unwanted
data.

Strathspey list policy mandates that messages be:

- Plain text only, or
- Multipart plain text/HTML, where the HTML part will be removed
before the message is posted to the list.

As a special favour to Lycos users, "multipart/mixed" messages with
just one plain text part are also allowed.

Checked by AVG.
17:03

Magazine

Message 51838 · Tait Family · 9 Apr 2008 12:13:25 · Top

Ron Mackey wrote:
> Hi,
> I've just got the Scottish Dancer mag. and was idly looking at the front cover while enjoying a sandwich when I realised that something seemed - well, odd. I'm left-handed which might explain what I saw but I'd be interested if anyone else noticed something to ponder?
> It's a great photogreph and has nothing to do with the subjects, who look charming, - just a dancing quirk.
> Happy Dancing :)
>
> Ron
>
> Ron Mackey
> RSCDS London, Croydon & International Branches

Hi Ron-

something of a wonder - here in the Antipodes we received our magazine
this week too - the young couple are charming, but surely their arms are
not crossed as I would teach it? It does look a little odd and I am
right handed.

Bev (Tait)

Magazine

Message 51847 · Tait Family · 9 Apr 2008 15:31:21 · Top

Bev Tait wrote:

> Ron Mackey wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I've just got the Scottish Dancer mag. and was idly looking
>> at the front cover while enjoying a sandwich when I realised that
>> something seemed - well, odd. I'm left-handed which might explain
>> what I saw but I'd be interested if anyone else noticed something to
>> ponder?
>> It's a great photogreph and has nothing to do with the subjects,
>> who look charming, - just a dancing quirk.
>> Happy Dancing :)
>>
>> Ron
>>
>> Ron Mackey
>> RSCDS London, Croydon & International Branches
>>

> Hi Ron-
>
> something of a wonder - here in the Antipodes we received our magazine
> this week too - the young couple are charming, but surely their arms
> are not crossed as I would teach it? It does look a little odd and I
> am right handed.
>
> Bev (Tait)

Hi again-

my husband and I have been tying ourselves in knots - the picture looks
wrong as the negative has been reversed so the hands "look wrong" -
surely that's the solution?
I'm going to bed anyway - will read further solutions tomorrow.

Bev & Uilleam Tait
Melbourne Australia

Magazine

Message 51872 · Denise Smith · 10 Apr 2008 03:13:19 · Top

Well, we don't have it here in Queensland, Australia yet but we are looking
forward to it now. I wonder in what order it is mailed? Alphabetical, by
Branch? Alphabetical by surname? Randomly????
Denise Smith

On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 7:56 AM, Ron Mackey <ron.mackey@talktalk.net> wrote:

> Hi,
> I've just got the Scottish Dancer mag. and was idly looking at the
> front cover while enjoying a sandwich when I realised that something seemed
> - well, odd. I'm left-handed which might explain what I saw but I'd be
> interested if anyone else noticed something to ponder?
> It's a great photogreph and has nothing to do with the subjects, who
> look charming, - just a dancing quirk.
> Happy Dancing :)
>
> Ron
>
> Ron Mackey
> RSCDS London, Croydon & International Branches

--
Denise Smith
76 Celandine St
Shailer Park Qld 4128
pauldenise3@bigpond.com

Magazine

Message 51874 · Wendy Grubb · 10 Apr 2008 03:58:12 · Top

Tom may have gotten the magazine in Baton Rouge but I
didn't get mine as yet in New Orleans. I know that we
belong to the same group.
Wendy
New Orleans, Louisiana

http://mail.yahoo.com

Magazine

Message 51876 · Brian Charlton · 10 Apr 2008 04:04:04 · Top

Well, Denise,

It has been received in Sydney. I always knew Queensland was behind the rest
of the country!!!

Brian Charlton,
Sydney

On 10/04/2008, Denise Smith <pauldeni@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, we don't have it here in Queensland, Australia yet but we are
> looking
> forward to it now. I wonder in what order it is mailed? Alphabetical, by
> Branch? Alphabetical by surname? Randomly????
> Denise Smith
>

> On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 7:56 AM, Ron Mackey <ron.mackey@talktalk.net>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I've just got the Scottish Dancer mag. and was idly looking at
> the
> > front cover while enjoying a sandwich when I realised that something
> seemed
> > - well, odd. I'm left-handed which might explain what I saw but I'd be
> > interested if anyone else noticed something to ponder?
> > It's a great photogreph and has nothing to do with the subjects, who
> > look charming, - just a dancing quirk.
> > Happy Dancing :)
> >
> > Ron
> >
> > Ron Mackey
> > RSCDS London, Croydon & International Branches
>

> --
> Denise Smith
> 76 Celandine St
> Shailer Park Qld 4128
> pauldenise3@bigpond.com

Magazine

Message 51877 · Denise Smith · 10 Apr 2008 06:09:07 · Top

I agree with you Brian. Of course, I consider myself a Northern Territorian
spending a wee while in Qld!!!!!!!

--
Denise Smith
76 Celandine St

Magazine

Message 51878 · The Walkers · 10 Apr 2008 06:38:46 · Top

We even have ours in the far flung state of Western Australia! (and it
begins with 'W'...)

Anne Walker
Perth

> It has been received in Sydney. I always knew Queensland was behind the
> rest
> of the country!!!
>
> Brian Charlton,
> Sydney
>
> On 10/04/2008, Denise Smith <pauldeni@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Well, we don't have it here in Queensland, Australia yet but we are
>> looking
>> forward to it now. I wonder in what order it is mailed? Alphabetical, by
>> Branch? Alphabetical by surname? Randomly????
>> Denise Smith
>>

>> On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 7:56 AM, Ron Mackey <ron.mackey@talktalk.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> > I've just got the Scottish Dancer mag. and was idly looking at
>> the
>> > front cover while enjoying a sandwich when I realised that something
>> seemed
>> > - well, odd. I'm left-handed which might explain what I saw but I'd
>> > be
>> > interested if anyone else noticed something to ponder?
>> > It's a great photogreph and has nothing to do with the subjects, who
>> > look charming, - just a dancing quirk.
>> > Happy Dancing :)
>> >
>> > Ron
>> >
>> > Ron Mackey
>> > RSCDS London, Croydon & International Branches
>>

>> --
>> Denise Smith
>> 76 Celandine St
>> Shailer Park Qld 4128
>> pauldenise3@bigpond.com
>>

> --
> 9/04/2008 4:20 PM

Magazine

Message 51879 · Angus Henry · 10 Apr 2008 07:22:56 · Top

But in Darwin (begins with a "D") in Northern Territory, Australia --
not a sign.

Angus

On 10-04-2008, at 14:08, The Walkers wrote:
> We even have ours in the far flung state of Western Australia! (and
> it begins with 'W'...)
>
> Anne Walker
> Perth
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian Charlton"
> <briangcharlton@gmail.com>

Angus & Puka Henry
DARWIN, AUSTRALIA
Website: <http://www.users.on.net/~anguka/>

Magazine

Message 51890 · Anne Cole · 10 Apr 2008 11:19:34 · Top

And here in Lower Hutt, New Zealand, I have mine and my husband does not
have his!!
Anne Cole

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 14:52:56 +0930, Angus Henry
<anguka@internode.on.net> wrote:

>But in Darwin (begins with a "D") in Northern Territory, Australia --
>not a sign.
>
>Angus
>
>On 10-04-2008, at 14:08, The Walkers wrote:
>> We even have ours in the far flung state of Western Australia! (and
>> it begins with 'W'...)
>>
>> Anne Walker
>> Perth
>>
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian Charlton"
>> <briangcharlton@gmail.com>

Message 51895 · Katharine Hoskyn · 10 Apr 2008 12:35:39 · Top

I received mine a day before my husband too - ladies first! (However my
husband is left-handed).

Best wishes

Katharine Hoskyn
Franklin County, NZ