strathspey Archive: the back of the hill of Bennachie

the back of the hill of Bennachie

Message 51564 · Ian Brown · 15 Mar 2008 18:08:51 · Top

A little while ago I asked for advice on suitable music for
The Back of Bennachie and I was strongly advised to obtain
David Cunningham's recording for The Honeymoon. I have now
done this and I am delighted with it - thank you all for the
advice - but it's not the tune I was anticipating and now I
can't get the original out of my head. Can anyone advise,
please?

I am remembering a song, probably sung on the White Heather
Club, "up among the heather on the hill of Bennachie". What
is this tune called and is it recorded for dancing?

Ian Brown
Harrogate Saltire Scottish Country Dance Club

the back of the hill of Bennachie

Message 51570 · Bruce Herbold · 15 Mar 2008 19:16:33 · Top

it would appear to be The Hill of Bennachie -- lyrics and mp3 available at

http://www.drinkingsongs.net/mp3s/1960s/1962ca-lyrica-erotica-vol-2-a-wee-thread-o-blue-(LP)/09-the-hill-of-bennachie.htm

Bruce Herbold

On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 10:08 AM, Ian Brown
<ibrownharrogate@waitrose.com> wrote:
> A little while ago I asked for advice on suitable music for
> The Back of Bennachie and I was strongly advised to obtain
> David Cunningham's recording for The Honeymoon. I have now
> done this and I am delighted with it - thank you all for the
> advice - but it's not the tune I was anticipating and now I
> can't get the original out of my head. Can anyone advise,
> please?
>

> I am remembering a song, probably sung on the White Heather
> Club, "up among the heather on the hill of Bennachie". What
> is this tune called and is it recorded for dancing?
>

> Ian Brown
> Harrogate Saltire Scottish Country Dance Club

the back of the hill of Bennachie

Message 51668 · Ian Brown · 22 Mar 2008 11:20:56 · Top

Thank you for this Bruce, and apologies for the tardy
acknowledgement.

That is indeed the song I had in my brain, though I'm not
sure I'd ever heard or remembered more than the first verse.

A further search on the internet revealed a posting about it
at http://www.mudcat.org
That says the tune is the same as "Fisher Lasses" but a scan
of dance data hasn't shown this as appearing on any dance CD
so I am still wondering where I heard it
Ian

it would appear to be The Hill of Bennachie -- lyrics and
mp3 available at

http://www.drinkingsongs.net/mp3s/1960s/1962ca-lyrica-erotic
a-vol-2-a-wee-thread-o-blue-(LP)/09-the-hill-of-bennachie.ht

Bruce Herbold

On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 10:08 AM, Ian Brown
<ibrownharrogate@waitrose.com> wrote:
> A little while ago I asked for advice on suitable music
for
> The Back of Bennachie and I was strongly advised to
obtain
> David Cunningham's recording for The Honeymoon. I have
now
> done this and I am delighted with it - thank you all for
the
> advice - but it's not the tune I was anticipating and now
> can't get the original out of my head. Can anyone
advise,
> please?
>

> I am remembering a song, probably sung on the White
Heather
> Club, "up among the heather on the hill of Bennachie".
What
> is this tune called and is it recorded for dancing?
>

> Ian Brown
> Harrogate Saltire Scottish Country Dance Club

the back of the hill of Bennachie

Message 51669 · Anselm Lingnau · 22 Mar 2008 13:09:07 · Top

Ian Brown wrote:

> That says the tune is the same as "Fisher Lasses" but a scan
> of dance data hasn't shown this as appearing on any dance CD
> so I am still wondering where I heard it

DanceData probably doesn't have all SCD recordings in existence and it
definitely doesn't have tune information even for those recordings that are
already in DanceData. Hence the usual plea: If you (anyone!) have additional
information on stuff in DanceData or even things that aren't even in there,
let Alan (or me) know so it can be added. As far as recordings are concerned
this applies particularly to vintage LPs.

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Friedberg, Germany ..................... anselm@strathspey.org
Great work tends to grow out of ideas that others have overlooked, and no

the back of the hill of Bennachie

Message 51672 · Anselm Lingnau · 22 Mar 2008 13:36:29 · Top

I wrote:

> definitely doesn't have tune information even for those recordings that are
> already in DanceData.

Oops. Make that »even for *all* those recordings«.

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Friedberg, Germany ..................... anselm@strathspey.org
When the grammar checker identifies an error, it suggests a correction and can