strathspey Archive: Help: Dance source?

Help: Dance source?

Message 50983 · Jim Healy · 12 Feb 2008 13:14:08 · Top

Greetings!

The Dundee University Students Day School and dance is being held on Saturday. The programme for the evening dance programme includes a dance - (The) Red Dragon. This is not in the current versions of DanceData, Minicrib or Eric Ferguson's cribs. Apparently the dance was 'collected' at a dance on Islay. Can anyone out there give me a reference to the original and, if possible, the full instructions for the dance?

Thanks

Jim Healy
Perth, Scotland

Help: Dance source? Island of Islay

Message 50984 · George Watt · 12 Feb 2008 15:06:50 · Top

Jim,

When I get home tonight I'll check out my Islay dance programmes form the preceeding years and hopefully find the info you're looking for.

Might I advise everyone that this year's Festival on the beautiful Hebridean Island of Islay is the 2nd & 3rd May, but there is so much to do and see, I advise you make an extra long week-end of it.

Not an occasion to miss,George T. Watt, 4 Ancrum Drive, Dundee. DD2 2JB Scotland. tel. 01382 642131
Telly addicts unite!
http://www.searchgamesbox.com/tvtown.shtml

Dance source?[Red Dragon]

Message 50986 · Alasdair Graham · 12 Feb 2008 15:46:24 · Top

I have sent Jim a 'crib' for

DDRAIG COGH (RED DRAGON) 32R

in case this is the dance he is looking for.
Unfortunately I don't have any other details as to origin or author.

If anyone has the full instructions I would appreciate a copy as it looks an
interesting dance. It has 'Tandem Reels' but the 'crib' was probably made
up before the change of meaning introduced by the RSCDS for such reels and
simply says 'Tandem Reels'.

Alasdair Graham
Dumbarton, Scotland.

Looking for a dance?
Call up http://ceilidh.members.beeb.net/ to see if something suits.
Ceilidh Dance Pages
Country Dance Page & Newsletter.
Email: dancediary@beeb.net

From: "Jim Healy" <jimhealy@hotmail.com>

(The) Red Dragon. - not in the current versions of DanceData, Minicrib or
Eric Ferguson's cribs. Apparently the dance was 'collected' at a dance on
Islay. Can anyone out there give me a reference to the original and, if
possible, the full instructions for the dance?

Dance source?[Red Dragon]

Message 51008 · Peter Price · 13 Feb 2008 00:48:58 · Top

Greetings,

Being a curious sort I would love a copy of the dance too (if it is not too
much trouble)?

Peter Price
New Haven, CT

On Feb 12, 2008 6:13 PM, John Bell <bellsat60@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> Alasdair
> Ddraig Coch was devised by a Mr E P Bond (Wales). The faded leaflet I have
> gives no more information on the writer. The tandem reels are called just
> that. There is no amplification. If you wish I will type it up and send it
> privately, since I have no idea how to contact Mr Bond.
>
> John Bell
> Cairns

Message 51017 · Alan Paterson · 13 Feb 2008 07:43:12 · Top

Alasdair. Forget it. Ddraig Goch I already have.

Alan

Dance source?[Red Dragon]

Message 51018 · Alan Paterson · 13 Feb 2008 07:44:23 · Top

On 12/02/2008 15:46, Alasdair Graham wrote:
> I have sent Jim a 'crib' for
>
> DDRAIG COGH (RED DRAGON) 32R
>
> in case this is the dance he is looking for.
> Unfortunately I don't have any other details as to origin or author.

This one IS in Dancedata, Jim. Deviser E.P. Bond and in the Ness House
Collection (SNDC)

Alan

> If anyone has the full instructions I would appreciate a copy as it
> looks an interesting dance. It has 'Tandem Reels' but the 'crib' was
> probably made up before the change of meaning introduced by the RSCDS
> for such reels and simply says 'Tandem Reels'.
>
> Alasdair Graham
> Dumbarton, Scotland.
>

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Healy" <jimhealy@hotmail.com>
>
> (The) Red Dragon. - not in the current versions of DanceData, Minicrib
> or Eric Ferguson's cribs. Apparently the dance was 'collected' at a
> dance on Islay. Can anyone out there give me a reference to the original
> and, if possible, the full instructions for the dance?

Help: Dance source?

Message 51056 · Jim Healy · 13 Feb 2008 21:46:01 · Top

Greetings!

Can I just say thank you to everyone who responded, publicly and privately, with instructions and cribs for the dance Ddraig Goch (Red Dragon). I have now put together a set of instructions that I am prepared to teach from except ... as someone pointed out, I have no idea if the tandem reels referred to are simple follow-my-leader reels or what are beginning to be referred to as tandem reels with change. As this only affects the dancing couple, it's not earth-shatteringly important but if anyone is in contact with Paul Bond, it would be nice to settle it once and for all.

Thanks again

Jim Healy
Perth, Scotland
ps Alan, I will double check for aliases in future :o)

Help: Dance source?

Message 51059 · WENDY LOBERG · 13 Feb 2008 22:26:07 · Top

Hi,

I was just reviewing the dance myself to teaching it next week. My question
to myself was the same - are they tandem reels as we now know them or just
follow each other. I think I will try it as tandem and see how it works
out. Will let everyone know how it goes.

Wendy

>From: Jim Healy <jimhealy@hotmail.com>
>To: SCD news and discussion <strathspey@strathspey.org>
>Subject: RE: Help: Dance source?
>Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 20:46:01 +0000
>
>Greetings!
>
>Can I just say thank you to everyone who responded, publicly and privately,
>with instructions and cribs for the dance Ddraig Goch (Red Dragon). I have
>now put together a set of instructions that I am prepared to teach from
>except ... as someone pointed out, I have no idea if the tandem reels
>referred to are simple follow-my-leader reels or what are beginning to be
>referred to as tandem reels with change. As this only affects the dancing
>couple, it's not earth-shatteringly important but if anyone is in contact
>with Paul Bond, it would be nice to settle it once and for all.
>
>Thanks again
>
>Jim Healy
>Perth, Scotland
>ps Alan, I will double check for aliases in future :o)

Help: Dance source?

Message 51063 · Peter Price · 13 Feb 2008 23:13:22 · Top

I would just about bet my life that the reels are simple Shetland, one
dancer follows the other with NO lead change, tandem reels. That is how it
reads to me, especially since no mention is made at all re lead changes.

Peter Price
New Haven, Ct

On Feb 13, 2008 3:46 PM, Jim Healy <jimhealy@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> Can I just say thank you to everyone who responded, publicly and
> privately, with instructions and cribs for the dance Ddraig Goch (Red
> Dragon). I have now put together a set of instructions that I am prepared to
> teach from except ... as someone pointed out, I have no idea if the tandem
> reels referred to are simple follow-my-leader reels or what are beginning to
> be referred to as tandem reels with change. As this only affects the dancing
> couple, it's not earth-shatteringly important but if anyone is in contact
> with Paul Bond, it would be nice to settle it once and for all.
>
> Thanks again
>
> Jim Healy
> Perth, Scotland
> ps Alan, I will double check for aliases in future :o)

Help: Dance source?

Message 51071 · Bruce Herbold · 14 Feb 2008 05:18:33 · Top

I also inferred from the note at the end about the dragon's tail that
they were not lead change reels but that in fact the dancers
represented the red dragon with its tail behind. Don't know if that's
true or not, but otherwise the note about the dragon's tail seems
superfluous.

Bruce Herbold
San Francisco

On Feb 13, 2008 2:13 PM, Peter Price <peter.price1672@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would just about bet my life that the reels are simple Shetland, one
> dancer follows the other with NO lead change, tandem reels. That is how it
> reads to me, especially since no mention is made at all re lead changes.
>
> Peter Price
> New Haven, Ct
>

> On Feb 13, 2008 3:46 PM, Jim Healy <jimhealy@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Greetings!
> >
> > Can I just say thank you to everyone who responded, publicly and
> > privately, with instructions and cribs for the dance Ddraig Goch (Red
> > Dragon). I have now put together a set of instructions that I am prepared to
> > teach from except ... as someone pointed out, I have no idea if the tandem
> > reels referred to are simple follow-my-leader reels or what are beginning to
> > be referred to as tandem reels with change. As this only affects the dancing
> > couple, it's not earth-shatteringly important but if anyone is in contact
> > with Paul Bond, it would be nice to settle it once and for all.
> >
> > Thanks again
> >
> > Jim Healy
> > Perth, Scotland
> > ps Alan, I will double check for aliases in future :o)

Help: Dance source?

Message 51073 · Pia Walker · 14 Feb 2008 09:24:26 · Top

I have forwarded this to Luke and Fiona who are dealing with the dance in
Dundee on Saturday where I believe this dance is on the programme - I think
you should all go to the dance and the day school of course - if you are
able to :>)

Pia

Can I just say thank you to everyone who responded, publicly and privately,
with instructions and cribs for the dance Ddraig Goch (Red Dragon). I have
now put together a set of instructions that I am prepared to teach from
except ... as someone pointed out, I have no idea if the tandem reels
referred to are simple follow-my-leader reels or what are beginning to be
referred to as tandem reels with change. As this only affects the dancing
couple, it's not earth-shatteringly important but if anyone is in contact
with Paul Bond, it would be nice to settle it once and for all.

Thanks again

Jim Healy
Perth, Scotland
ps Alan, I will double check for aliases in future :o)

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
12:21

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
12:21

Help: Dance source?

Message 51085 · Anselm Lingnau · 14 Feb 2008 12:29:16 · Top

Jim Healy wrote:

> ps Alan, I will double check for aliases in future :o)

Just so nobody will say that I don't react to users' requirements, I have just
changed the DanceData web frontend so it will search dance aliases as well as
the proper names of dances. That is, the dance with the unpronounceable name
that is the subject of the discussion at hand will actually show up in a
search for dances whose name contains »Dragon« as

Ddraig Goch (Reel-32, 3/4L, E P Bond) as »The Red Dragon«

You can convince yourself that this works by typing, say, »Fergus« in the
search box in the left-hand column on http://my.strathspey.org/dd/ and
looking at the last line of the result. As before, if a search returns a
single result, you will end up on the detail page for that dance directly
(you can check this by searching for a dance whose name contains the
string »Jocky«).

(Incidentally, somebody has been running into an error message from the site
searching for »ddraig«. This error resulted from an oversight on my part
regarding the changes mentioned above and has since been corrected.)

Note to self: Now do the same thing for tunes (which are the other type of
object in DanceData that supports aliases).

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Friedberg, Germany ..................... anselm@strathspey.org
I think there's something very evil about faith, where faith means believing

Help: Dance source? [Contact Paul Bond]

Message 51126 · Alasdair Graham · 13 Feb 2008 22:36:48 · Top

Jim et al,
I have emailed Paul through his crib website with this Tandem Reels question
and will update when I receive a reply.

Alasdair Graham
Dumbarton, Scotland

Can I just say thank you to everyone who responded, publicly and privately,
with instructions and cribs for the dance Ddraig Goch (Red Dragon). I have
now put together a set of instructions that I am prepared to teach from
except ... as someone pointed out, I have no idea if the tandem reels
referred to are simple follow-my-leader reels or what are beginning to be
referred to as tandem reels with change. As this only affects the dancing
couple, it's not earth-shatteringly important but if anyone is in contact
with Paul Bond, it would be nice to settle it once and for all.

Thanks again

Jim Healy
Perth, Scotland
ps Alan, I will double check for aliases in future :o)

Help: Dance source? [Contact Paul Bond]

Message 51127 · George Watt · 16 Feb 2008 10:10:20 · Top

Jim,

In my crib presented by the Islay Festival,

1st Lady leads into the tandem reels, there is no mention of 'change'George T. Watt, 4 Ancrum Drive, Dundee. DD2 2JB Scotland. tel. 01382 642131> From: alasdair.graham@blueyonder.co.uk> To: strathspey@strathspey.org> Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 21:36:48 +0000> Subject: Re: Help: Dance source? [Contact Paul Bond]> > Jim et al,> I have emailed Paul through his crib website with this Tandem Reels question > and will update when I receive a reply.> > Alasdair Graham> Dumbarton, Scotland> > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Jim Healy" <jimhealy@hotmail.com>> To: "SCD news and discussion" <strathspey@strathspey.org>> Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2008 8:46 PM> Subject: RE: Help: Dance source?> > > Greetings!> > Can I just say thank you to everyone who responded, publicly and privately, > with instructions and cribs for the dance Ddraig Goch (Red Dragon). I have > now put together a set of instructions that I am prepared to teach from > except ... as someone pointed out, I have no idea if the tandem reels > referred to are simple follow-my-leader reels or what are beginning to be > referred to as tandem reels with change. As this only affects the dancing > couple, it's not earth-shatteringly important but if anyone is in contact > with Paul Bond, it would be nice to settle it once and for all.> > Thanks again> > Jim Healy> Perth, Scotland> ps Alan, I will double check for aliases in future :o) > >
Telly addicts unite!
http://www.searchgamesbox.com/tvtown.shtml

Help: Dance source? [Contact Paul Bond]

Message 51149 · Walter Ligon · 17 Feb 2008 15:11:39 · Top

We used ths this dance for warmup in class this week. We found that it
helped to on bar 25, cross down using left hand. Valentine'sDay magic
occurred on bar 28, when facng partner pull away & finish back to back,
but let the eyes linger as long as possible (flirtatious).

Happy dancing,

Walt Ligon, Marietta, GA.

Subject: Re: Help: Dance source? [Contact Paul Bond]> > Jim et al,> I
Subject: RE: Help: Dance source?> > > Greetings!> > Can I just say thank
you to everyone who responded, publicly and privately, > with
instructions and cribs for the dance Ddraig Goch (Red Dragon). I have >
now put together a set of instructions that I am prepared to teach from
> except ... as someone pointed out, I have no idea if the tandem reels
> referred to are simple follow-my-leader reels or what are beginning to
be > referred to as tandem reels with change. As this only affects the
dancing > couple, it's not earth-shatteringly important but if anyone is
in contact > with Paul Bond, it would be nice to settle it once and for
all.> > Thanks again> > Jim Healy> Perth, Scotland> ps Alan, I will
double check for aliases in future :o) > >
Telly addicts unite! http://www.searchgamesbox.com/tvtown.shtml=

Help: Dance source? [Contact Paul Bond]

Message 51151 · WENDY LOBERG · 17 Feb 2008 15:46:34 · Top

Did you do true tandem reels or just man follow the lady?

Wendy

>From: "Walter Ligon" <wligonmd@bellsouth.net>
>To: "'SCD news and discussion'" <strathspey@strathspey.org>
>Subject: RE: Help: Dance source? [Contact Paul Bond]
>Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 09:11:39 -0500
>
>We used ths this dance for warmup in class this week. We found that it
>helped to on bar 25, cross down using left hand. Valentine'sDay magic
>occurred on bar 28, when facng partner pull away & finish back to back,
>but let the eyes linger as long as possible (flirtatious).
>
>Happy dancing,
>
>Walt Ligon, Marietta, GA.

Message 51154 · Walter Ligon · 17 Feb 2008 16:28:46 · Top

We did man follow the woman reels just like in Ferla Mor, as this dance
was devised before the alternating lead reels of the Dolphin type were
devised.(Atlanta Branch)

Happy dancing,

Walt Ligon, Marietta, GA

Did you do true tandem reels or just man follow the lady?

Wendy

>From: "Walter Ligon" <wligonmd@bellsouth.net>
>To: "'SCD news and discussion'" <strathspey@strathspey.org>
>Subject: RE: Help: Dance source? [Contact Paul Bond]
>Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 09:11:39 -0500
>
>We used ths this dance for warmup in class this week. We found that it
>helped to on bar 25, cross down using left hand. Valentine'sDay magic
>occurred on bar 28, when facng partner pull away & finish back to back,

>but let the eyes linger as long as possible (flirtatious).
>
>Happy dancing,
>
>Walt Ligon, Marietta, GA.

Message 51156 · Peter Price · 17 Feb 2008 18:36:13 · Top

Cringe!! (sorry Wendy - this is not a flame at you but rather Headquarters)

On Feb 17, 2008 9:46 AM, WENDY LOBERG <wendy.loberg079@sympatico.ca> wrote:
Did you do true tandem reels or just man follow the lady?

"true" tandem reels? The lead change reels in Pelorus Jack are NOT 'true'
tandem reels because there IS a lead change. The Shetland reel in John
Drewry's 'Tickle My Fancy' and the reel in 'Ferla Mor' ARE tandem reels
because one dancer follows partner for the entire 8 bars of reeling. To call
the 'Pelorus Jack' reels 'true' tandem reels is a complete murdering of the
English language as currently defined (by everyone except RSCDS).

Tandem means:

–adverb 1.one following or behind the other: to drive horses tandem.
–adjective
2.having animals, seats, parts, etc., arranged tandem or one behind another.
–noun 3.a vehicle, as a truck, tractor, or trailer, in which a pair or pairs
of axles are arranged in tandem. 4.tandem
bicycle.<http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=tandem%20bicycle>
5.tandem trailer
<http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=tandem%20trailer> (def.
1). 6.a team of horses harnessed one behind the other. 7.a two-wheeled
carriage with a high driver's seat, drawn by two or more horses so
harnessed. 8.any of various mechanisms having a tandem arrangement.
(Perhaps we should ask all the dictionaries to add one more item to this
list - A reel of three in which a pair (or more) of dancers are arranged one
behind the other. :-D LOL)

I think we can all agree that headquarters did us a diservice by misnaming
the 'Pelorus Jack' reels - I can only hope that they will revise their
thinking in the next version of the manual and modify their stand by adding
'with lead changes'. They could save face by acknowledging that the
typesetter omitted those words when the manual first went to print.

Meanwhile I will continue to teach
Pelorus Jack as having *dolphin reels *(tandem reels with 2 lead changes in
8 bars);
Well Met in Paris (Terry Glasspool) with a *dolphin reel*;
Tickle My Fancy with a *Shetland Reel* -all 3 couples in tandem throughout
(See Flett & Flett);
Ferla Mor with a *tandem reel* - only one couple is in tandem;**
and Iain Boyd's dance 'Homeward Bound' with* swapover* reels - they have
only a single leadchange in 8 bars of otherwise tandem reels.
These are my conventions by which I attempt to keep this matter reasonably
clear for my dancers (and myself ;-).

I apologize for this mini rant but a button get pushed. I can only hope I
haven't started a rehash of the subject which we have pursued to death in

Apologies and thanks for your tolerance

Peter Price
New Haven, CT

Help: Dance source? [Contact Paul Bond]

Message 51158 · Alasdair Graham · 17 Feb 2008 19:40:42 · Top

Well said Peter.

A 'favoured person' devised a dance using his own interpretation of 'tandem'
and like 'sheep' Headquarters followed suit.

Alasdair Graham
Dumbarton, Scotland.

[...]

Message 51161 · SMiskoe · 17 Feb 2008 22:58:18 · Top

In a message dated 2/17/2008 12:38:55 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
peter.price1672@gmail.com writes:

(Perhaps we should ask all the dictionaries to add one more item to this
list - A reel of three in which a pair (or more) of dancers are arranged one
behind the other.

In this case it would be a 'randem'. Randem being the proper term for three
in a line.
Sylvia Miskoe
Concord, NH USA

2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)

Help: Dance source? [Contact Paul Bond]

Message 51163 · Brian Charlton · 17 Feb 2008 23:02:52 · Top

G'Day, All,

Don't blame Headquarters for the term 'tandem reels' in Pelorus Jack. Barry
Skelton in his original publication used the term by writing 'First couple,
dancing in tandem, dance a half diagonal reel ....' He then explained how
they dancers swapped in a footnote. He was consistent in that description
for the other dances in his 'The Dolphin Book'. Barry Priddey, prior to
that, did not use the term in Flight of the Falcon. He wrote '1M, followed
by his partner, begins to dance a diagonal reel ...........' He then
described, within the text, how to swap places in the reel.

Headquarters did modofy the instructions for Pelorus Jack, but compounded
the problem when they described tandem reels in the Manual as ones involving
changing places round the loop. I much prefer to use the term 'dolphin
reels' for those that swap on the loops as there are so many of them in 'The
Dolphin Book'.

Brian Charlton,
Sydney, Australia

On 18/02/2008, Alasdair Graham <alasdair.graham@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> Well said Peter.
>
> A 'favoured person' devised a dance using his own interpretation of
> 'tandem'
> and like 'sheep' Headquarters followed suit.
>

> Alasdair Graham
> Dumbarton, Scotland.

Message 51164 · Dave & Christine Phillips · 18 Feb 2008 00:41:31 · Top

Can you please remove Christine Phillips from this email discussion group as
she is no longer receiving email at this address

Thank you

David Phillips

Don't blame Headquarters for the term 'tandem reels' in Pelorus Jack. Barry
Skelton in his original publication used the term by writing 'First couple,
dancing in tandem, dance a half diagonal reel ....' He then explained how
they dancers swapped in a footnote. He was consistent in that description
for the other dances in his 'The Dolphin Book'. Barry Priddey, prior to
that, did not use the term in Flight of the Falcon. He wrote '1M, followed
by his partner, begins to dance a diagonal reel ...........' He then
described, within the text, how to swap places in the reel.

Headquarters did modofy the instructions for Pelorus Jack, but compounded
the problem when they described tandem reels in the Manual as ones involving
changing places round the loop. I much prefer to use the term 'dolphin
reels' for those that swap on the loops as there are so many of them in 'The
Dolphin Book'.

Brian Charlton,
Sydney, Australia

On 18/02/2008, Alasdair Graham <alasdair.graham@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> Well said Peter.
>
> A 'favoured person' devised a dance using his own interpretation of
> 'tandem'
> and like 'sheep' Headquarters followed suit.
>

> Alasdair Graham
> Dumbarton, Scotland.

Message 51183 · Dick&Maureen Daniel · 18 Feb 2008 16:10:59 · Top

I agree totally with this "outburst" against apparent unwillingness to rectify a glaring error. Everyone who makes decisions, makes errors. Admission and correction are areas where generation/retention of respect is possible.
Is it not possible for the Publications Committee to publish "Official Amendments" to the RSCDS Manual as PDF files on the Headquarters Website, so that updates are quick and cost-free. All amendments could then be incorporated in the next official issue of the Manual - as is standard practice in important technical manuals, which must be kept current.

Dick Daniel
by Glasgow
> > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Peter Price" <peter.price1672@gmail.com>> > > Cringe!! (sorry Wendy - this is not a flame at you but rather Headquarters)> "true" tandem reels? The lead change reels in Pelorus Jack are NOT 'true'> tandem reels because there IS a lead change. The Shetland reel in John> Drewry's 'Tickle My Fancy' and the reel in 'Ferla Mor' ARE tandem reels> because one dancer follows partner for the entire 8 bars of reeling. To call> the 'Pelorus Jack' reels 'true' tandem reels is a complete murdering of the> English language as currently defined (by everyone except RSCDS).> > Tandem means:> > –adverb 1.one following or behind the other: to drive horses tandem.> –adjective> 2.having animals, seats, parts, etc., arranged tandem or one behind another.> –noun 3.a vehicle, as a truck, tractor, or trailer, in which a pair or pairs> of axles are arranged in tandem. 4.tandem> bicycle.<http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=tandem%20bicycle>> 5.tandem trailer> <http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=tandem%20trailer> (def.> 1). 6.a team of horses harnessed one behind the other. 7.a two-wheeled> carriage with a high driver's seat, drawn by two or more horses so> harnessed. 8.any of various mechanisms having a tandem arrangement.> (Perhaps we should ask all the dictionaries to add one more item to this> list - A reel of three in which a pair (or more) of dancers are arranged one> behind the other. :-D LOL)> > I think we can all agree that headquarters did us a diservice by misnaming> the 'Pelorus Jack' reels - I can only hope that they will revise their> thinking in the next version of the manual and modify their stand by adding> 'with lead changes'. They could save face by acknowledging that the> typesetter omitted those words when the manual first went to print.> > Meanwhile I will continue to teach> Pelorus Jack as having *dolphin reels *(tandem reels with 2 lead changes in> 8 bars);> Well Met in Paris (Terry Glasspool) with a *dolphin reel*;> Tickle My Fancy with a *Shetland Reel* -all 3 couples in tandem throughout> (See Flett & Flett);> Ferla Mor with a *tandem reel* - only one couple is in tandem;**> and Iain Boyd's dance 'Homeward Bound' with* swapover* reels - they have> only a single leadchange in 8 bars of otherwise tandem reels.> These are my conventions by which I attempt to keep this matter reasonably> clear for my dancers (and myself ;-).> > > I apologize for this mini rant but a button get pushed. I can only hope I> haven't started a rehash of the subject which we have pursued to death in> previous threads.> > Apologies and thanks for your tolerance> > Peter Price> New Haven, CT> >
Share what Santa brought you
https://www.mycooluncool.com

Help: Dance source? [Contact Paul Bond]

Message 51202 · Peter Price · 19 Feb 2008 03:15:49 · Top

Dick,

That is a good idea!
It could not be that difficult to add a page where revisions and corrections
would be posted until the next edition of the manual comes out. You can be
sure I would be checking the site on a regular basis.

It would also be a great way to post proposed changes before the membership
for review and response much the way many Gov't agencys are required to do.
(I seem to remember a thread or two after the last AGM…)

Peter (who rarely visits RSCDS.org because he never can remember the login &
password) Price
New Haven, Ct

On Feb 18, 2008 10:10 AM, Dick Daniel <danddzines@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Everyone who makes decisions, makes errors. Admission and correction are
> areas where generation/retention of respect is possible.
> Is it not possible for the Publications Committee to publish "Official
> Amendments" to the RSCDS Manual as PDF files on the Headquarters Website, so
> that updates are quick and cost-free. All amendments could then be
> incorporated in the next official issue of the Manual - as is standard
> practice in important technical manuals, which must be kept current.
>

> Share what Santa brought you
> https://www.mycooluncool.com

Corrections & Website

Message 51208 · mlamontbrown · 19 Feb 2008 10:46:26 · Top

The Society already has a Technique Panel (previously called Technique Committee),
which will answer any questions sent in to HQ - they don't need to be sent to
committees as they will be forwarded to the people concerned.

The questions can be of the sort relating to a particular dance, or to a more general
type of question applicable to dances in general (such as formations).

The answer is then sent back to the person who asked the question, and a more
generalised version is then put up onto the website at

http://www.rscds.org/teaching/technique

and you don't need to log in to see the information.

Malcolm

Malcolm L Brown
York (UK)

> Dick,
>
> That is a good idea!
> It could not be that difficult to add a page where revisions and corrections
> would be posted until the next edition of the manual comes out. You can be
> sure I would be checking the site on a regular basis.
>
> It would also be a great way to post proposed changes before the membership
> for review and response much the way many Gov't agencys are required to do.
> (I seem to remember a thread or two after the last AGM.)
>
> Peter (who rarely visits RSCDS.org because he never can remember the login &
> password) Price
> New Haven, Ct
>
> On Feb 18, 2008 10:10 AM, Dick Daniel <danddzines@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Everyone who makes decisions, makes errors. Admission and correction are
> > areas where generation/retention of respect is possible.
> > Is it not possible for the Publications Committee to publish "Official
> > Amendments" to the RSCDS Manual as PDF files on the Headquarters Website, so
> > that updates are quick and cost-free. All amendments could then be
> > incorporated in the next official issue of the Manual - as is standard
> > practice in important technical manuals, which must be kept current.
> >

> > Share what Santa brought you
> > https://www.mycooluncool.com

Corrections & Website

Message 51209 · Andrea Re · 19 Feb 2008 10:59:35 · Top

mlamontbrown ha scritto:
> The Society already has a Technique Panel (previously called Technique Committee),
> which will answer any questions sent in to HQ - they don't need to be sent to
> committees as they will be forwarded to the people concerned.
>
> The questions can be of the sort relating to a particular dance, or to a more general
> type of question applicable to dances in general (such as formations).
>
> The answer is then sent back to the person who asked the question, and a more
> generalised version is then put up onto the website at
>
> http://www.rscds.org/teaching/technique
>
> and you don't need to log in to see the information.

Indeed, the problem is that the answers are not being published.
Malcolm, as you know I asked about "Johnnie's welcome hame" and got a
reply very quickly which is now safely stored in the archives and not
available on the net.
Since I have started looking at the page you mention (which I have been
doing for a few months now) nothing at all has been added.

Andrea (fae Dundee)
> Malcolm
>
> Malcolm L Brown
> York (UK)

Corrections & Website

Message 51210 · Anselm Lingnau · 19 Feb 2008 11:29:27 · Top

mlamontbrown wrote:

> The Society already has a Technique Panel (previously called Technique
> Committee), which will answer any questions sent in to HQ - they don't need
> to be sent to committees as they will be forwarded to the people concerned.
>
> The questions can be of the sort relating to a particular dance, or to a
> more general type of question applicable to dances in general (such as
> formations).

Also the DanceData web frontend allows for notes and comments pertaining to
specific dances. I've made a little start on adding annotations that came up
on the list over the years (mostly to prove the concept), and you can't edit
them on the Web (yet), but eventually we might consider a »thundering herd«
approach of going through the archive and trawling for interesting stuff that
arose from discussions available there.

Of course, annotations in DanceData do not carry the same weight as
ex-cathedra pronouncements from the Technique Panel, but some very notable
people have contributed to Strathspey, off and on, over the years, and we
might as well make this material more accessible. Besides, there's nothing
that keeps us from linking to the RSCDS site where appropriate.

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Friedberg, Germany ..................... anselm@strathspey.org
There are three kinds of death in this world. There's heart death, there's

Rectifying errors

Message 51204 · Andrew Smith · 19 Feb 2008 09:05:59 · Top

Dick,
Have you made this suggestion (see below) to Jim Healey as Convenor of
Membership Services whose committee has responsibility for the web-site and
publications, and to Helen Russell, Convenor of Education and Training,
under whose remit the technique sub committee falls?
It is eminently sensible but do not just broadcast it/ask the question on
Strathspey, but try directing it to the appropriate quarter. I have made
this appeal before.
I suspect that one reason for delay in making changes is a desire to ensure
that all possibilities have been covered.
There are so many published dances outside the Society's control, yet
popular to dance, in addition to changes to, and different usages of,
terminology and interpretation, (as we are currently seeing re corners) that
a change to rectify a difficulty with one dance could very well muddy the
waters as far as far as another was concerned, especially if the latter
hardly ever appeared on anybody's programme. The fact that it is not popular
is no excuse for treating it in a cavalier fashion.
Andrew Smith,
Bristol, UK.
> [...]

> > will continue to teach> Pelorus Jack as having *dolphin reels *(tandem
> > reels with 2 lead changes in> 8 bars);> Well Met in Paris (Terry
> > Glasspool) with a *dolphin reel*;> Tickle My Fancy with a *Shetland
> > Reel* -all 3 couples in tandem throughout> (See Flett & Flett);> Ferla
> > Mor with a *tandem reel* - only one couple is in tandem;**> and Iain
> > Boyd's dance 'Homeward Bound' with* swapover* reels - they have> only a
> > single leadchange in 8 bars of otherwise tandem reels.> These are my
> > conventions by which I attempt to keep this matter reasonably> clear for
> > my dancers (and myself ;-).> > > I apologize for this mini rant but a
> > button get pushed. I can only hope I> haven't started a rehash of the
> > subject which we have pursued to death in> previous threads.> >
> > Apologies and thanks for your tolerance> > Peter Price> New Haven, CT> >

Naming of formations

Message 51227 · ivm · 20 Feb 2008 22:00:59 · Top

Recent discussions have highlighted the difficulties that can arise when
naming formations.

Considering that there are 13000+ dances in 1000+ publications (plus
leaflets, online sources, etc) -

if you devise a formation and want to give it a name,
how do you determine:
1. whether that name already exists, for a different formation?
2. whether that formation already exists, with a different name?
3. whether that formation or something very similar has previously been
described but not named?

For example:
- The formation that is now generally called the bourrel was described in
dances by Bob Campbell, but apparently not named till later.
- Did any original written instructions describe reels as having a couple
dancing "in tandem" before Barry Skelton used the term in the Dolphin Book?
In the intro to that book, however, he describes those reels as "a type of
tandem reel ...", which presumably means that the term was already in use,
at least in popular SCD parlance in that part of the world.

Certainly one should try to avoid ambiguity or conflict when defining
terminology (such as when "dancing a reel in tandem" becomes "a tandem reel"
with a specific interpretation out of a number of variants).

[...] the term 'tandem reels' in Pelorus Jack. Barry Skelton in his original
publication used the term by writing 'First couple,
dancing in tandem, dance a half diagonal reel ....' He then explained how
the dancers swapped in a footnote. He was consistent in that description for
the other dances in his 'The Dolphin Book'. Barry Priddey, prior to that,
did not use the term in Flight of the Falcon. He wrote '1M, followed by his
partner, begins to dance a diagonal reel ...........' He then described,
within the text, how to swap places in the reel.

Headquarters [...] described tandem reels in the Manual as ones involving
[...]

Message 51228 · campbell · 21 Feb 2008 09:06:56 · Top

It would be really nice to know who ivm@lantic.net is and where he or she is
from.

Campbell Tyler
Cape Town

Sustainable Energy Africa
9B Bell Crescent Close, Westlake 7945
Telephone +27-(0)21-702-3622
Cellphone +27-(0)82-214-7174
Fax +27-(0)86-692-1968
Email campbell@sustainable.org.za

... one following or behind the other ...

[...] Meanwhile I will continue to teach
Pelorus Jack as having *dolphin reels* (tandem reels with 2 lead changes in
8 bars);
Well Met in Paris (Terry Glasspool) with a *dolphin reel*;
Tickle My Fancy with a *Shetland Reel* -all 3 couples in tandem throughout
(See Flett & Flett);
Ferla Mor with a *tandem reel* - only one couple is in tandem;**
and Iain Boyd's dance 'Homeward Bound' with *swapover* reels - they have
only a single leadchange in 8 bars of otherwise tandem reels.
These are my conventions by which I attempt to keep this matter reasonably
clear for my dancers (and myself ;-). [...]

Peter Price
New Haven, CT

Naming of formations

Message 51231 · ron.mackey · 21 Feb 2008 13:07:36 · Top

??? Tandem or shadow reels are the terms we in this area use for the non-swap reels in Lady Sophia Lindsay and Ferla Mor - both danced regularly and for many years.? It is such a pity that RSCDS has caused this problem by, one supposes, not being aware of these other options.
??? One is tempted to suggest that as they have so obviously erred we shoud ignore the item in the Manual and ask them for a re-think?

Happy Dancing
Ron

?.??

???

Naming of formations

Message 51233 · Anselm Lingnau · 21 Feb 2008 14:11:06 · Top

ron.mackey@talktalk.net wrote:

> ??? Tandem or shadow reels are the terms we in this area use for the
> non-swap reels in Lady Sophia Lindsay and Ferla Mor - both danced regularly
> and for many years.? It is such a pity that RSCDS has caused this problem
> by, one supposes, not being aware of these other options.

I don't think there are dances in the RSCDS repertoire that use reels as in
Lady Sophia Lindsay and Ferla Mor, so from the POV of the Society the
term »tandem reel« was unused and available.

It is good to hear that at least the standard terminology leaflet now makes a
distinction between the two flavours. Let's hope that the next edition of the
Manual will pick this up (and, beyond reason, that current Manual users will
be able to obtain a »patch« containing just the changed pages -- preferably
as a PDF document for download :^) -- rather than having to re-buy the whole
thing).

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Friedberg, Germany ..................... anselm@strathspey.org
What originally started as a rather feeble but lucky attempt to get on the

Naming of formations

Message 51237 · ron.mackey · 21 Feb 2008 15:49:33 · Top