strathspey Archive: Burns Night in Zimbabwe

Burns Night in Zimbabwe

Message 50971 · suepetyt · 3 Feb 2008 18:55:50 · Top

I thought you might be interested in this email, received from a friend who
lives in Zimbabwe and manages to keep a small group of people dancing.

Yesterday the Harare Caledonian Society had its Burn night dinner at the
Harare Club and just after 5pm I knew there was a chance that this dinner
would be different from what we had planned as we had a massive power cut.
The dinner was at The Harare Club in the CBD (Central business district) and
in general the CBD does not have power cuts UNLESS there is a major fault -
guess what - last night there was obviously a major fault as driving to the
club there were no traffic lights and the only lights were from those
buildings with generators. Harare Club does not have a generator and as
such was in darkness to the extent that you could see absolutely nothing in
the underground parking and very little light on the stairs leading up to
the function on the 2nd floor.

Slowly people arrived and carefully came up the stairs - most brought a
small torch to guide their way. The club dug out some candles and cut them
in half to put on the tables (candles now cost $11million a packet). A
member of the club and our contact for having the function there, went into
the kitchen to find out how the food was doing as they did not have gas
cookers. It turned out :-

The soup was still cold

The haggis was warm and ready to eat

The mince for the cottage pie was hot and so was the gem squash and the
potatoes but the other vegetables were cold

The fruit salad was made and the ice-cream was still in the freezer

Coffee was out of the question.

We had a chat and it was agreed we would start the evening as there was some
food to eat, I had batteries for the music machine and someone had batteries
for the key board so we could have some sort of meal and manage some
entertainment.

A couple of us went round the table collecting the money - $25 million a
head. Have you any idea what it is like to be paid $50 million in $10000
bearer cheques? In the dark? A man gave me 2 ''bricks'' to pay for their
dinner. I had to go and get a shopping bag to put the money in. Some nice
lady from the united nations was paying me in $750000 bearer cheques and we
had great trouble working out how many she had to give me, then we had to
try and count them by my small torch.

Fortunately the power came on round 8.30 to much applaud!!! By now we were
on the pudding but the club heated the soup and it was served at the END of
the meal before the coffee!!!!

When I was collecting the money (in the dark) not one person muttered that
they were not going to get the full meal and requested a discount. Everyone
came (all 65 people) and just ''got on'' with having an evening out.

The dinner went well and proved that the important part of a good evening is
not the food or the venue but the people attending!

Sue Petyt Lochmaben

www.suepetyt.me.uk

Burns Night in Zimbabwe

Message 50973 · Bob McLatchie · 4 Feb 2008 18:40:58 · Top

Sue Petyt wrote:
> I thought you might be interested in this email, received from a friend who
> lives in Zimbabwe and manages to keep a small group of people dancing.

Many thanks for posting that inspiring account, Sue The spirit of the
people is just awe inspiring.

My wife and I are reading our way through Peter Godwin's marvellous
memoirs of life in Zimbabwe (Mukiwa and When a Crocodile eats the Sun).
They paint a painful, moving and, I am assured by a Zimbabwean friend,
an very accurate account of the changes in that country. His account
stops in 2004. Neither my wife nor I can imagine how it can have got
worse since.

Thanks again.
Regards

Bob
Oxfordshire, England

The Dee in Spring

Message 50974 · campbell · 5 Feb 2008 17:56:35 · Top

Some time ago I was introduced to The Dee in Spring through this forum. The
first 8 bars are described as doing the "Tourbillon and Link". Having
always assumed that the link part was always the second part of the set and
link, my attention was drawn to Charles Upton's minicrib which says that the
men cast, which is not the normal end to a set and link.

Does anyone have the original instructions and can they resolve this for me?

Campbell Tyler
Cape Town

The Dee in Spring

Message 50975 · Bruce Herbold · 5 Feb 2008 18:40:10 · Top

The directions are at
http://www.pixton.org/scottishinsalem/deeinspring.html

I think they are clear but I haven't done the dance.

Bruce Herbold
San Francisco

On 2/5/08, Campbell Tyler <campbell@tyler.co.za> wrote:
> Some time ago I was introduced to The Dee in Spring through this forum. The
> first 8 bars are described as doing the "Tourbillon and Link". Having
> always assumed that the link part was always the second part of the set and
> link, my attention was drawn to Charles Upton's minicrib which says that the
> men cast, which is not the normal end to a set and link.
>
> Does anyone have the original instructions and can they resolve this for me?
>
> Campbell Tyler
> Cape Town

The Dee in Spring

Message 50976 · mlamontbrown · 5 Feb 2008 19:13:02 · Top

You can download Mel's original instructions from his website

http://briscoes.home.mindspring.com/dances/DeeSpring.pdf

Malcolm

Malcolm L Brown
York (UK)

Of
> Campbell Tyler
> Sent: 05 February 2008 16:57
> To: 'SCD news and discussion'
> Subject: The Dee in Spring
>
> Some time ago I was introduced to The Dee in Spring through this forum. The
> first 8 bars are described as doing the "Tourbillon and Link". Having
> always assumed that the link part was always the second part of the set and
> link, my attention was drawn to Charles Upton's minicrib which says that the
> men cast, which is not the normal end to a set and link.
>
> Does anyone have the original instructions and can they resolve this for me?
>
> Campbell Tyler
> Cape Town

need a dance teacher SOON in So. Calif.

Message 51011 · Tappan · 13 Feb 2008 03:02:24 · Top

Hi folks,
I've had an email from someone who wants a dance teacher (and band)
for Feb. 23rd. If you can help, please contact her directly,
krista.lauer at googlemail.com

Here's what she wrote me:
"My boyfriend and I met in Scotland while we were each studying in
Edinburgh. While we got along right away, I have to admit that I
first fell in love with him while we were dancing at our first
ceilidh.

February 23rd is his birthday, and that is why I am hoping to find a
ceilidh band and a caller for that date - to dance with him again,
and to celebrate his birthday with the music, dance and friends that
he loves!"

Thanks,

Jan Tappan

need a dance teacher SOON in So. Calif.

Message 51021 · Martin Sheffield · 13 Feb 2008 09:13:02 · Top

Le 13 févr. 08 à 03h02, Tappan a écrit :

> Here's what she wrote me:
> "My boyfriend and I met in Scotland ...
> ... and that is why I am hoping to find a ceilidh band and a caller"

Sorry I cannot help you at this distance.
Just wanted to say that even here in France, I get two or three
requests of this kind every year.
There is something about Scotland and Scottish ceilidhs that leaves
an indelible mark.

Martin