strathspey Archive: Glen Etive pronunciation

Glen Etive pronunciation

Message 48972 · Volleyballjerry · 11 Jun 2007 02:04:36 · Top

Our San Gabriel Valley Branch Teachers' Association just met to select our
dances for the coming dance year's annual list. One that we chose was Iain
Boyd's Glen Etive. I asked Iain himself, a New Zealander of course, what the
correct pronunciation of the Scottish place name should be. He suggested
short vowels for both syllables (which for me then would be the word "restive"
with the "r" and "s" simply removed), but he also suggested verifying on the
Strathspey, so here I am doing just that. Is that correct then, what I've just
written?

Robb Quint
Thousand Oaks, CA, USA

Glen Etive pronunciation

Message 48973 · Sheena & Bill Flynn · 11 Jun 2007 02:32:01 · Top

Correct.

Bill Flynn
Kamloops, BC, Canada
>From Bannockburn, Scotland, once upon a time.

> Our San Gabriel Valley Branch Teachers' Association just met to select
> our
> dances for the coming dance year's annual list. One that we chose was
> Iain
> Boyd's Glen Etive. I asked Iain himself, a New Zealander of course, what
> the
> correct pronunciation of the Scottish place name should be. He suggested
> short vowels for both syllables (which for me then would be the word
> "restive"
> with the "r" and "s" simply removed), but he also suggested verifying on
> the
> Strathspey, so here I am doing just that. Is that correct then, what
> I've just
> written?
>
> Robb Quint
> Thousand Oaks, CA, USA

> http://www.aol.com.

Glen Etive pronunciation

Message 48974 · Peter Hastings · 11 Jun 2007 08:25:29 · Top

Hi Robb,

Your analogy with restive is excellent. I've not heard it pronounced
differently....in Scotland. ;o0

Peter Hastings

Murieston

> One that we chose was Iain
> Boyd's Glen Etive. I asked Iain himself, a New Zealander of course, what
the
> correct pronunciation of the Scottish place name should be. He suggested

> short vowels for both syllables (which for me then would be the word
"restive"
> with the "r" and "s" simply removed), but he also suggested verifying on
the
> Strathspey, so here I am doing just that. Is that correct then, what
I've
> just written?

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
10:46

Glen Etive pronunciation

Message 48982 · Sue Porter · 11 Jun 2007 20:03:48 · Top

Hi Robb,
You are correct in your pronounciation. Glen Etive is a lovely glen at the
northern end of Loch Etive at Taynuilt, about 12 miles east from Oban.
If you should be over here, you could always take a sail up the loch and
watch the basking seals, or walk through the glen from the Glen Coe road to
the head of the loch.

Sue Porter,
Oban, Argyll
Scotland
> Our San Gabriel Valley Branch Teachers' Association just met to select
> our
> dances for the coming dance year's annual list. One that we chose was
> Iain
> Boyd's Glen Etive. I asked Iain himself, a New Zealander of course, what
> the
> correct pronunciation of the Scottish place name should be. He suggested
> short vowels for both syllables (which for me then would be the word
> "restive"
> with the "r" and "s" simply removed), but he also suggested verifying on
> the
> Strathspey, so here I am doing just that. Is that correct then, what
> I've just
> written?
>
> Robb Quint
> Thousand Oaks, CA, USA

> http://www.aol.com.

Glen Etive pronunciation

Message 48983 · AJ Harrison · 12 Jun 2007 09:02:24 · Top

Dear Robb and All,

I once spent a wet day in the Clachaig Inn in Glencoe with some guys who
farmed Glencoe and Glen Etive. It was the first day they had off for three
months so they made the most of it! Anyway, they pronounced it the way you
describe.

Best regards,
Alan
RSCDS Leeds