strathspey Archive: Four Scottish Moons

Four Scottish Moons

Message 48489 · Mikhail Smagin · 18 Apr 2007 10:22:51 · Top

Hello, Friends!

While searching through the Minicrib, I have found the dance with strange name "Four Scottish Moons". There were no any information about the author and publication. The Dance Database also says nothing.

I've found this dance reasonably interesting and now I woud be very grateful for any additional information, why it has so strange name, and what meaning have so strange order of the formations.

Thank you in advance.
M.S.

---------------------------------

Вы уже с Yahoo!? Испытайте обновленную и улучшенную. Yahoo! Почту!

Four Scottish Moons

Message 48490 · Alan Paterson · 18 Apr 2007 10:53:25 · Top

On 18/04/2007 10:22, Mikhail Smagin wrote:
> While searching through the Minicrib, I have found the dance with strange name "Four Scottish Moons". There were no any information about the author and publication. The Dance Database also says nothing.
>
> I've found this dance reasonably interesting and now I would be very grateful for any additional information, why it has so strange name, and what meaning have so strange order of the formations.

I have a distant relative (female), born Scotland who married a Moon
(also Scottish), moved to Australia and had four children. Et voila!

No connection to the dance though! (I think)

If anyone has the instructions, I'll send them to her. One never knows

Alan

--
Alan Paterson
Berne, Switzerland

Four Scottish Moons

Message 48491 · Steve Wyrick · 18 Apr 2007 16:51:56 · Top

Thinking about what "to moon" means in American slang brings up some
interesting images--I really hope that the actual inspiration for the dance
title is something more profound... -Steve

--
Steve Wyrick - Concord, California
New World Scottish Dancers - Pleasant Hill, CA

Four Scottish Moons

Message 48492 · Bryan McAlister · 18 Apr 2007 17:34:17 · Top

American slang? Was it not associated with a certain rock musician?

In message <web-112730418@wavecable.net>, Steve Wyrick
<sjwyrick@ca.astound.net> writes

--
Bryan McAlister

Four Scottish Moons

Message 48493 · Charles Upton · 18 Apr 2007 18:51:10 · Top

Hello all, unfortunately I have no further information on the source of this dance but it is interesting to note that the figures, when viewed from the bottom of the set spell the word MOON.
1-16 is the M
17-24 is OO
25-32 is the N
Charles Upton
Minicrib

Four Scottish Moons

Message 48494 · Alasdair Graham · 18 Apr 2007 19:10:04 · Top

A Google Search throws up this answer from somewhere called "The Strathspey
Server" from 1996!!!
http://www.strathspey.org/archive/thread?s=4619

Alasdair Graham
Dumbarton, Scotland

Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2007 9:22 AM
Subject: Four Scottish Moons

I woud be very grateful for any additional information, why it has so
strange name, and what meaning have so strange order of the formations.

Thank you in advance.

M.S.

Four Scottish Moons

Message 48495 · Charles Upton · 18 Apr 2007 21:21:58 · Top

Hi, OK, I should have said it spell MOON when viewed from the TOP of the set otherwise it's WOON.
However, having checked the 1966 thread in the Strathspey Server I see the devisers were Deanne Corps and Debbie Roxburgh of Wanganui, New Zealand, but still don't know why 'Four Scottish Moons' unless they have 4 daughters in total as Alan suggests.
Charles Upton
Minicrib

Four Scottish Moons

Message 48497 · Sophie Rickebusch · 19 Apr 2007 08:41:13 · Top

> However, having checked the 1966 thread in the Strathspey Server

Gosh, I hadn't realised that Strathspey was already going in the days of steam
computers and stained-glass Windows ;-)

Cheers,
Sophie
--
Sophie Rickebusch
FR - St Martin d'Heres

Four Scottish Moons

Message 48498 · Anselm Lingnau · 19 Apr 2007 12:49:06 · Top

Sophie Rickebusch wrote:

> Gosh, I hadn't realised that Strathspey was already going in the days of
> steam computers and stained-glass Windows ;-)

Oh yes, we've been around for a while. Search far enough back in the archives
and you may find a thread in which Robert Mackintosh and William Marshall
debate the proper speed of strathspeys, and Nathaniel Gow's announcement of
the new dance, »Petronella«. And I'm sure there must be something about
keeping a dance floor clear of wooly mammoths.

Then again, maybe not :^(

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Frankfurt, Germany ..................... anselm@strathspey.org
To my battle-scarred mind, documentation is never more than a hint. Read it

Four Scottish Moons

Message 48499 · Sophie Rickebusch · 19 Apr 2007 17:04:16 · Top

Quoting Anselm Lingnau <anselm@strathspey.org>:

> And I'm sure there must be something about
> keeping a dance floor clear of wooly mammoths.

Is that not the original reason why dancers are sometimes piped into the dance
hall? The piper certainly clears the lawn of rabbits every morning in St
Andrews... Note that this is not a slight against pipers. Camp fires are also
good for scaring off wild animals, but I enjoy sitting by them :-)

Sophie

--
Sophie Rickebusch
FR - St Martin d'Heres

Four Scottish Moons

Message 48500 · Alasdair Graham · 19 Apr 2007 17:16:58 · Top