strathspey Archive: Dance Tunes search

Dance Tunes search

Message 48227 · RODERICK JOHNSTON · 8 Mar 2007 12:16:40 · Top

My local RSDC class is organising a childrens dance school at the end of the month and have listed a couple of dances that I am unfamiliar with. Neither are listed in Originally Ours and a search on the net has proved negative.

Are there original dance tunes for :

Suzuki Circle and
Gibson's Gallop,

If not can anyone recommend suitable tunes?

Rod

Dance Tunes search

Message 48229 · Karin Ingram · 8 Mar 2007 13:17:16 · Top

I've never heard of "Gibson's Gallop", but The Suzuki Circle is in the
Collins Country Dance Book. It is one of the many variations of the "Grand
Circle" figure of The Circassian Circle as danced all over Europe. This
particular version is 40 bars so it would make sense to use reels that you
would play for a Circassian, but make them 40 instead of 32 bars.
Best wishes,
Karin Ingram
(Scottish Borders)

My local RSDC class is organising a childrens dance school at the end of the
month and have listed a couple of dances that I am unfamiliar with.
Neither are listed in Originally Ours and a search on the net has proved
negative.

Are there original dance tunes for :

Suzuki Circle and
Gibson's Gallop,

If not can anyone recommend suitable tunes?

Rod

Dance Tunes search

Message 48233 · RODERICK JOHNSTON · 8 Mar 2007 16:05:36 · Top

Thanks that has been helpful.

Rod

Karin Ingram <editor@boxandfiddle.com> wrote:
[...]

Message 48230 · Alasdair Graham · 8 Mar 2007 13:27:55 · Top

Gibson's Gallop is in the Greenburn Book 2 written by John Drewry.
It is a round the room dance - 32 bar Reel.
There are no tunes listed by John for this dance.
He just says repeat as often as desired for the number of times to play.

Alasdair Graham,
Dumbarton, Scotland.