strathspey Archive: 1 man 3 ladies

1 man 3 ladies

Message 46669 · Haynes · 13 Nov 2006 18:02:55 · Top

Dear All
Having danced "Harry and The Harem" and liked it a lot, I'm now
looking for a similar style of dance - 1 man and 2 ladies or 1 man
and 3 ladies. This is to perform at a Christmas party (if the ladies
agree!) so not too complicated and not too much highland-style
footwork. Has anyone got any suggestions - ideas / instructions
greatly appreciated. I've looked at the "Green Lochan" book (Roy
Clowes & Bob Donald) but nothing there appealed to me.

Dave Haynes
RSCDS Wirral Branch

Sneaky advertising: if you've got a couple of minutes spare, click
your way to www.rscds-wirral.org.uk/ECC%20Ball%202008.htm to find out
about our Grand Ball to celebrate the 2008 Liverpool European City of
Culture year.

1 man 3 ladies

Message 46671 · James Tween · 13 Nov 2006 20:22:03 · Top

There's a dance which I've met on the English circuit, but whose origins I
don't know, and which may well have Scottish roots, it's at least a
possiblility when you see the figures and read about the detail of the
original instructions:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/greenery/BarnDances/Squares.html

Twelve Reel / Twelve Meet
Square of 12 -- ladies on ends, men in middles of the threes
4 x 32 Reel
Original tune Jackson's Escape
Original source unknown
1-8 Heads link elbows / join hands, and advance and retire; advance
again, ladies swap sides giving right hands, then retire
9-16 Sides repeat
17-24 Men turn RH with partner on right; turn LH with partner on left
25-32 Reels of three (men give RS to partner on right), men move on at
the end to the trio on their right

Notes:
- The swapping in 1-8 reminds me of Trip to Bavaria, with a quick swapover
- The instructions I have aren't too detailed, but 25-32 could be done as
6-bar reels with men dancing or petronellaing on in 31-32, or they could be
ladies doing 8-bar reels and just the men doing 6-bar reel and dancing on
- Men move round in order 1-4-3-2, while ladies just go across and back
twice, this means that each man dances with each pair of ladies before all
end back where they started
- Optional 33-40 Circle 8 hands round and back; 41-48 baskets of three
- There is an "easy" form of this dance -- 17-24 head men promenade
right-hand ladies round inside of set; then left-hand ladies; 25-32 sides
repeat, the rest of the dance is the same with optional 33-48 as above
--- This easy form would have the promenades being quite fast, so it could
be done as an Eightsome-style big wheel -- LH wheel with RH ladies, and RH
wheel back with LH ladies

Hope that's at least a bit useful -- should be a fun dance however you do
it.

James
Preston, UK

> Having danced "Harry and The Harem" and liked it a lot, I'm now looking
> for a similar style of dance - 1 man and 2 ladies or 1 man and 3 ladies.
> This is to perform at a Christmas party (if the ladies agree!) so not too
> complicated and not too much highland-style footwork. Has anyone got any
> suggestions - ideas / instructions greatly appreciated. I've looked at
> the "Green Lochan" book (Roy Clowes & Bob Donald) but nothing there
> appealed to me.
>
> Dave Haynes
> RSCDS Wirral Branch
>
> Sneaky advertising: if you've got a couple of minutes spare, click your
> way to www.rscds-wirral.org.uk/ECC%20Ball%202008.htm to find out about our
> Grand Ball to celebrate the 2008 Liverpool European City of Culture year.

1 man 3 ladies

Message 46672 · Peter Price · 13 Nov 2006 20:55:56 · Top

Dave,

Sorry to say I don't seem to have exactly what you were looking for.
All I have been able to find so far are two dances both for two (2) men and
four (4) ladies.

There is 'We're A Noddin" by Roy Clowes from The Ormskirk Book 4 -

it starts: "Each man leads two ladies into different ends of the hall to
stand in lines 3 facing three. The distance between lines should equal 10
strathspey traveling steps"

The other dance is 'The High Road' from "A Bicentennial Collection of Dances
assembled by the San Diego Branch of the RSCDS" which is a publication I am
sure we all have ;-)

This is 4 ladies in line on the ladies' side facing two men. If it were in a
set you would be missing top and bottom men.

Let me know how you get on.

Peter Price
New Haven, Ct.

On 11/13/06, Haynes <dahaynes@btopenworld.com> wrote:

> Dear All
> Having danced "Harry and The Harem" and liked it a lot, I'm now
> looking for a similar style of dance - 1 man and 2 ladies or 1 man
> and 3 ladies. This is to perform at a Christmas party (if the ladies
> agree!) so not too complicated and not too much highland-style
> footwork. Has anyone got any suggestions - ideas / instructions
> greatly appreciated. I've looked at the "Green Lochan" book (Roy
> Clowes & Bob Donald) but nothing there appealed to me.
>
> Dave Haynes
> RSCDS Wirral Branch
>
> Sneaky advertising: if you've got a couple of minutes spare, click
> your way to www.rscds-wirral.org.uk/ECC%20Ball%202008.htm to find out
> about our Grand Ball to celebrate the 2008 Liverpool European City of
> Culture year.

1 man 3 ladies

Message 46675 · Karin Ingram · 13 Nov 2006 21:27:27 · Top

There's The Craven Twelvesome by Derek Haynes (scripted here "ceilidh
style")
Best wishes,
Karin Ingram
Editor "Dance On!"

The Craven Twelvesome
4 x 32 Bar Reel
(Original: The Moving Cloud played as a reel)

Formation: 4 men, each with 2 lady partners, standing in a square set

1-8 Each man dances a reel of three with his partners, starting by
passing right shoulders with his right-hand partner.
9-10 Men advance with two setting steps to the centre.
11-12 Men dance a right hand star half way round to opposite place.
13-16 Men cast out of the set between their opposite ladies, travel
clockwise behind the set and emerge between next ladies (the ladies who were
to the right of them originally).
17-18 Head Trios (trios now in positions 1 and 3) advance for three steps
and on the fourth step each lady joins both hands with her opposite lady and
dances half turn to change places.
19-20 These new trios retire for four steps.
21-24 Bars 17-20 are repeated by Side Trios (those in positions 2 and 4)
25-32 All circle left for eight steps and back for eight steps.

These 32 bars are repeated 3 times, so that everyone ends up back in their
original places.

A All start in original places
Men finish 1 place right
Ladies finish in opposite place
B Men start 1 place right
Ladies start in opposite place
Men finish 2 places right
Ladies finish back home
C Men start 2 places right
Ladies start in original places
Men finish 3 places right
Ladies finish in opposite place
D Men start 3 places right
Ladies start in opposite place
Men finish back home
Ladies finish back home

Sorry to say I don't seem to have exactly what you were looking for.
All I have been able to find so far are two dances both for two (2) men and
four (4) ladies.

There is 'We're A Noddin" by Roy Clowes from The Ormskirk Book 4 -

it starts: "Each man leads two ladies into different ends of the hall to
stand in lines 3 facing three. The distance between lines should equal 10
strathspey traveling steps"

The other dance is 'The High Road' from "A Bicentennial Collection of Dances
assembled by the San Diego Branch of the RSCDS" which is a publication I am
sure we all have ;-)

This is 4 ladies in line on the ladies' side facing two men. If it were in a
set you would be missing top and bottom men.

Let me know how you get on.

Peter Price
New Haven, Ct.

On 11/13/06, Haynes <dahaynes@btopenworld.com> wrote:

> Dear All
> Having danced "Harry and The Harem" and liked it a lot, I'm now
> looking for a similar style of dance - 1 man and 2 ladies or 1 man
> and 3 ladies. This is to perform at a Christmas party (if the ladies
> agree!) so not too complicated and not too much highland-style
> footwork. Has anyone got any suggestions - ideas / instructions
> greatly appreciated. I've looked at the "Green Lochan" book (Roy
> Clowes & Bob Donald) but nothing there appealed to me.
>
> Dave Haynes
> RSCDS Wirral Branch
>
> Sneaky advertising: if you've got a couple of minutes spare, click
> your way to www.rscds-wirral.org.uk/ECC%20Ball%202008.htm to find out
> about our Grand Ball to celebrate the 2008 Liverpool European City of
> Culture year.

1 man 3 ladies

Message 46681 · ron.mackey · 13 Nov 2006 23:40:31 · Top

This is to perform at a Christmas party (if the ladies
> agree!) so not too complicated and not too much highland-style
> footwork. Has anyone got any suggestions - ideas / instructions
> greatly appreciated. I've looked at the "Green Lochan" book (Roy
> Clowes & Bob Donald) but nothing there appealed to me.
>
> Dave Haynes
> RSCDS Wirral Branch

Yes, I like 'Harry' and use him a lot. There is a book called 'Just
Enough to Dance' by Donald Karwelis of Santa Ana CA. Perhaps Marie
stocks it in TACbooks?
There are 9 three person dances in there which are an interesting
exercise.
Happy Dancing
Ron