strathspey Archive: [DANCE] Dilly Dally

[DANCE] Dilly Dally

Message 45742 · Norman Dahl · 9 Jul 2006 09:49:50 · Top

Hi, all

My friend David Le Brocque of the Caledonian Dancers in Brisbane has
asked me to "publish" his latest creation on the Strathspey list. It
is a versatile 48-bar jig for three couples in either a three couple,
four couple, or five couple set. It is called "Dilly Dally; when you
try it, you'll appreciate that the title is ironic!

============
DILLY DALLY 3 couples, 4 x 48 or 8 x 48 bar Jig
May be danced in a 3-couple, 4-couple, or 5-couple set
by David Le Brocque, 05/06/2006
============

1 - 4 1st and 2nd couples dance right hands across.

5 - 8 2nd and 3rd couples dance left hands across.

9 -12 1st couple face down, 2nd couple face up and set (no hands).
1st and 2nd ladies turn 1/2 right hand and 1st and 2nd men turn
1/2 left hand.

13-16 2nd, 1st and 3rd couples join hands on the side and set.
1st couple turn 1/2 left hand to finish on opposite sides between
their corners,
1st man facing 2nd lady and 1st lady facing 3rd man.

17-24 2nd, 1st and 3rd couples dance a left shoulder reel of three
on the side,
1st couple passing their 2nd corners by the left to begin.
1st couple finish in second position, facing out.

25-26 2nd, 1st and 3rd couples join hands and balance in line.

27-28 1st couple, dropping right hand, turn the dancer on their left
by 3/4 by the left hand,
to finish 1st man at the top between 2nd couple, all facing down,
1st lady at the
bottom between 3rd couple, all facing up.

29-32 All join hand across and set. 1st couple turn 1/2 left hand,
to put 1st lady at the top
facing 2nd man, 1st man at the bottom facing 3rd lady.

33-38 1st lady with 2nd couple, 1st man with 3rd couple dance a left
shoulder 6-bar
reel of three across the set. 1st couple finish in the middle of
the set in 2nd position
facing down with nearer hands joined.

39-40 1st couple dance down to 4th (5th) position, 3rd couple
followed by 4th couple (5th couple)
dance up the side to finish 2, 3, 4, 1 (2, 3, 4, 5, 1)

41-48 2nd, 3rd, 4th, (5th) 1st couples dance 8 hands around and back.

Note For a 3-couple set, dance as above, except that in bars 39-40
1st couple dance into 3rd position,
3rd couple dance up the side to 2nd position.
When the music is 8 x 48 bars in a 4- or 5-couple set, dance bars
33-40 to finish in 2nd position
and repeat from that position.

===================

David has prepared some Pilling-style diagrams for the dance, which I
can forward as PDF to anyone who wants it. He would also appreciate
feedback from those of you who try it out.

-norman-
---
Norman Dahl
Brisbane, Australia
I-name: =norman.dahl
<http://xri.net/=norman.dahl>

It is never too late to be what you might have been.
-- George Eliot
---

[DANCE] Dilly Dally

Message 45746 · Alan Paterson · 10 Jul 2006 09:55:13 · Top

On 09/07/2006 09:49, Norman Dahl wrote:
> Hi, all
>
> My friend David Le Brocque of the Caledonian Dancers in Brisbane has
> asked me to "publish" his latest creation on the Strathspey list. It is
> a versatile 48-bar jig for three couples in either a three couple, four
> couple, or five couple set. It is called "Dilly Dally; when you try it,
> you'll appreciate that the title is ironic!

Looks to me like a fun dance. However, I have a problem with the
statement that it is for a three-, four- or five-couple set. The first
thing which disturbs me is that I cannot classify it such in my
database. However, that of course mustn't be a major problem as it is
just mine.

Where it does disturb me is that, in the 4- and 5-couple variants the
4th (and 5th) couples have so little to do (Hands round at the last 8
bars). All a bit "Flowers of Edinburgh"-ish.

The other extreme - the 3 couple version eliminates this problem - but
it would mean more or less non-stop dancing for all 3 couples for 48
bars. Pretty tiring! On the other hand, it would probably then only be
done three times through - so not too bad.

I would rather see a decision made on this, myself. People are well used
to, due to circumstances, modifying dances for other set shapes. The
deviser should pick the "best" one.

Alan

[DANCE] Dilly Dally

Message 45764 · Norman Dahl · 12 Jul 2006 09:50:51 · Top

Alan,

I have spoken with David, who says that he originally wrote the dance
for three couples in a four-couple set (4 x 48 bars), so that might
be the best way to categorize it. The variations were developed to
cope with "awkward" numbers of couples, say 7, who can be formed into
a three-couple and a four-couple set. In a four-couple set, there is
no more standing around than in any other 3-couple dance in a 4-
couple set.
In a three-couple set, three or four times through (depending on the
music available) is probably enough, but with more couples, 8 x 48
can make the fun last longer.

-norman-
---