strathspey Archive: dance trace

dance trace

Message 44906 · Angus Henry · 30 Mar 2006 05:47:24 · Top

On a recent Highlander Music CD by Marian Anderson are two dances,
"The Dance Illustrator" and "Maureen's Jig".
A search of our usual indexes and suppliers has turned up nothing.
Can anyone supply directions either for the dances or to where we can
purchase directions for the dances, please?
Probably useful to reply to the list as many will have the CD and
few, if any, the dances!

Angus

* * * * * * * * * * *
* *
Angus & Puka Henry:– 4 Eagle Court, Wulagi, DARWIN, NT 0812,
AUSTRALIA
PHONE: (International) + 61 (0)8 8927 9203
FAX: available: phone first to arrange.
Website: <http://www.users.on.net/~anguka/>

dance trace

Message 44907 · Sue Porter · 30 Mar 2006 08:42:51 · Top

Hello Angus,
'The Dance Illustrator'
I wrote the dance for my father, Dan Blackwood, Galashiels, Scotland on the
occasion of his 80th birthday which he celebrated at Summer School in August
2003. Marian composed the tune for him. It is his pen & ink sketches,
illustrating RSCDS dances, that are used on the notelets sold by the
Society.

I anyone wishes a copy via email contact me privately on
sue.porter3@btopenworld.com.

Angus I'll email you a copy privately.

Sue Porter
Oban, Scotland

On a recent Highlander Music CD by Marian Anderson are two dances,
"The Dance Illustrator" and "Maureen's Jig".
A search of our usual indexes and suppliers has turned up nothing.
Can anyone supply directions either for the dances or to where we can
purchase directions for the dances, please?
Probably useful to reply to the list as many will have the CD and
few, if any, the dances!

Angus

* * * * * * * * * * *
* *
Angus & Puka Henry:– 4 Eagle Court, Wulagi, DARWIN, NT 0812,
AUSTRALIA
PHONE: (International) + 61 (0)8 8927 9203
FAX: available: phone first to arrange.
Website: <http://www.users.on.net/~anguka/>

dance trace

Message 44909 · George Meikle · 30 Mar 2006 09:18:35 · Top

Angus

"The Dance Illustrator" has been listed in the Sutton Coldfield Dance Index
for almost three years and is a 4x32S devised by Sue Porter for her father
Dan Blackwood - hence the title of the original tune name composed by Marian
Anderson. Sue subscribes to Strathspey, so I would imagine she will be able
to send you a copy.

I have no details about "Maureen's Jig" and would appreciate any information
for inclusion in future copies of the index. There is a tune of that title
by Fergie Macdonald so that may be the correct original.

George Meikle
compiler of the
Sutton Coldfield Dance Index

On a recent Highlander Music CD by Marian Anderson are two dances,
"The Dance Illustrator" and "Maureen's Jig".
A search of our usual indexes and suppliers has turned up nothing.
Can anyone supply directions either for the dances or to where we can
purchase directions for the dances, please?
Probably useful to reply to the list as many will have the CD and
few, if any, the dances!

Angus

* * * * * * * * * * *
* *
Angus & Puka Henry:- 4 Eagle Court, Wulagi, DARWIN, NT 0812,
AUSTRALIA
PHONE: (International) + 61 (0)8 8927 9203
FAX: available: phone first to arrange.
Website: <http://www.users.on.net/~anguka/>

Miss Isabelle McCrearie's Strathspey

Message 45121 · Helen Brown · 26 Apr 2006 13:32:32 · Top

About twenty five years ago I was dancing in Princes Street Gardens in
Edinburgh and this dance was demonstrated and then we all danced it. I
have been occasionally looking for the source but admit I haven't tried very
hard! Does anyone have any information? It is a 32 bar 4 couple longwise
strathspey which starts with all 4 couples casting off to the bottom,
crossing over and dancing up on the opposite side to place where the 1st
couple face down. It also has 8 bars reminiscent of Trip to Bavaria. I
have taught it a few times over the years but would like to know where it
originated.

Helen

Helen C N Brown
York, UK

Whetherly Books

Message 45129 · James Tween · 30 Apr 2006 22:42:55 · Top

Two questions:
1 - How can I get the Whetherly dance collections?
2 - Is it Whetherly or Whetherley?

Thanks!

James

Whetherly Books

Message 45130 · Ron Mackey · 1 May 2006 01:23:46 · Top

> Two questions:
> 1 - How can I get the Whetherly dance collections?
> 2 - Is it Whetherly or Whetherley?
>
> Thanks!
>
> James

HI, James
It is Whetherly.
Try Louis Innes at SNDC.
kelpi@sndc.i-way.co.uk

Maybe John Mitchell is lurking, as occasionally he used to?
Are you there John?

Whetherly Books

Message 45131 · John K. Andrews · 1 May 2006 01:49:13 · Top

The Whetherly Books are available from TAC Books http://www.tac-rscds.org/

Jay Andrews
Alexandria, VA