strathspey Archive: The Master of Ceremonies abbreviated

The Master of Ceremonies abbreviated

Message 44532 · Fiona Grant · 7 Mar 2006 19:55:02 · Top

How is it that M.C. became emcee? (as in recent postings)

If you follow the usual rules of pronunciation the two don't sound the same,
so presumably you can't use the second word unless you know of the
abbreviation? So why not use the abbreviation if too lazy to write out the
whole title?

And as we have been discussing etiquette on the dance floor and dance cards:

Isn't it more respectful to give a person their proper title, even if
abbreviated, rather than some bizarre phonetic interpretation?

Did someone somewhere make a spelling mistake when setting out a dance
ticket?

Fiona
Being pedantic in Bristol, UK

The Master of Ceremonies abbreviated

Message 44534 · GOSS9@telefonica.net · 7 Mar 2006 20:02:59 · Top

I´ll go with pedant on this one. It is neither a uniquely American or
British tradition to turn abbreviations, into acronyms, into what sound
like words. If HM can refer to the Queen, or an MP refer to the queen,
and MD for medical doctor, RSM, etc., there is no reason why a lowly
Master of Ceremonies can not be an MC. In the U.S. we have similar
conventions, and in most cases, it saves a lot of time, as in CEO, HR,
POTUS, C-n-C, OD, etc.

The Master of Ceremonies abbreviated

Message 44536 · simon scott · 7 Mar 2006 21:39:55 · Top

I understood that Fiona was questioning the use of "emcee" rather than
"MC"
Simon