strathspey Archive: Taking the floor

Taking the floor

Message 44482 · ParadiseMO · 5 Mar 2006 12:15:52 · Top

My preference, when emceeing, is:

1. Dancers form sets
2. Emcee briefs dance
3. Band plays 8 bars
4. Emcee recaps dance
5. Everyone dances

I have the band play 8 bars after the sets are formed because I want the
dancers to get in the right mood for the dance, and because I want the dancers
to focus on the music and appreciate the band.

DOUG SCHNEIDER
Highland Mist Scottish Country Dancers
St. Louis, Missouri/Illinois

Taking the floor

Message 44487 · redrose_solutions · 5 Mar 2006 18:08:28 · Top

Doug

could you explain the difference between "Emcee briefs dance" and "Emcee
recaps dance"? I am puzzled and curious. Thanks.

Susi

Susi Mayr
Vienna, Austria
susi@redrose.co.at

Tiscali Broadband from 14.99 with free setup!

Taking the floor

Message 44490 · Volleyballjerry · 5 Mar 2006 19:43:31 · Top

Good point. Excellent idea!

Robb Quint
Thousand Oaks, CA, USA

In a message dated 03/05/2006 3:16:20 AM Pacific Standard Time,
ParadiseMO@aol.com writes:

> My preference, when emceeing, is:
>
> 1. Dancers form sets
> 2. Emcee briefs dance
> 3. Band plays 8 bars
> 4. Emcee recaps dance
> 5. Everyone dances
>
> I have the band play 8 bars after the sets are formed because I want the
> dancers to get in the right mood for the dance, and because I want the
> dancers
> to focus on the music and appreciate the band.
>
> DOUG SCHNEIDER
> Highland Mist Scottish Country Dancers
> St. Louis, Missouri/Illinois

Taking the floor

Message 44493 · Elainerb · 5 Mar 2006 21:43:00 · Top

> My preference, when emceeing, is:
>
> 1. Dancers form sets
> 2. Emcee briefs dance
> 3. Band plays 8 bars
> 4. Emcee recaps dance
> 5. Everyone dances

My preference.....

- Floor is cleared (good luck on this one)
- Emcee asks band for 8 bars of the next dance (I have found delaying the 8
bars
sometimes makes the point to clear the floor :-))
- Emcee anounces dance name, number of couples in set etc... sets are
organized
- Emcee recaps/briefs (same thing to me- not clear on the difference meant
above)
- All dance

Elaine,
Md, USA

Taking the floor

Message 44495 · Ron Mackey · 6 Mar 2006 00:33:29 · Top

Hi, Susi
I believe it was originally called a 'brief re-cap'. I suppose we're
just used to taking short cuts ( or talking shorthand) nowadays. :~)

Regards, Ron