strathspey Archive: question: 12 Coates Crescent, Book 40

question: 12 Coates Crescent, Book 40

Message 43223 · Volleyballjerry · 23 Nov 2005 01:48:35 · Top

I am reading this seemingly very easy strathspey, intending to teach it
quickly in class this evening (never having danced nor seen it before myself), but
encountering what strikes me as (almost) a physical impossibility.

On bars 11-12 men 1 and 4 taking nearer hands are to dance out between men 2
and 3 in their original places. But how do they fit through that space side
by side, particularly if they're not so petite? Is it just a tight squeeze???
Ditto the women.

(I see that this dance was devised by a committee!)

Robb Quint
Thousand Oaks, CA, USA

question: 12 Coates Crescent, Book 40

Message 43225 · Martin · 23 Nov 2005 10:01:30 · Top

From: "Ron Mackey"

> Ah, yes! But does he know THE QUESTION??

Unfortunately, he forgot it about 50 years ago.

So, no questions at:
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/scots.in.france/index.htm

but you may find a few answers.

question: 12 Coates Crescent, Book 40

Message 43226 · mlamontbrown · 23 Nov 2005 10:10:52 · Top

Rob wrote:
> On bars 11-12 men 1 and 4 taking nearer hands are to dance out between men 2
> and 3 in their original places. But how do they fit through that space side
> by side, particularly if they're not so petite? Is it just a tight squeeze???
> Ditto the women.

I think if you just dance it / teach it you will find that there is no real problem.
I have just had a look at the video, and I can see what actually happens, but in my
experience you don't have to worry about it as people will do it naturally.

Malcolm

Malcolm L Brown
York

question: 12 Coates Crescent, Book 40

Message 43236 · Volleyballjerry · 23 Nov 2005 16:34:53 · Top

Malcolm, you are indeed entirely correct! Much concern about nothing as it
turned out. Of course it wasn't a crowded dancefloor, and we had plenty of
room, but in a fairly normal-sized set and nothing overwhelmingly huge and spread
out, the space was adequate, and the two fit through without any particular
difficulty. Who'd 'a' thunk it?!

Robb Quint
Thousand Oaks, CA, USA

> Robb wrote:
> >On bars 11-12 men 1 and 4 taking nearer hands are to dance out between men
> 2
> >and 3 in their original places. But how do they fit through that space
> side
> >by side, particularly if they're not so petite? Is it just a tight
> squeeze???
> >Ditto the women.
>
> I think if you just dance it / teach it you will find that there is no real
> problem.
> I have just had a look at the video, and I can see what actually happens,
> but in my
> experience you don't have to worry about it as people will do it naturally.
>
> Malcolm
>
> Malcolm L Brown
> York

question: 12 Coates Crescent, Book 40

Message 43237 · Anselm Lingnau · 23 Nov 2005 16:56:09 · Top

Robb Quint <Volleyballjerry@aol.com> wrote:

> and the two fit through without any
> particular difficulty. Who'd 'a' thunk it?!

It's not as if this figure was unique and new in that dance. From the RSCDS
canon, try Lady Auckland's Reel (a strathspey, in spite of the name) or
Scotland (a jig), to name but two off the top of my head.

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Frankfurt, Germany ..................... anselm@strathspey.org
It is generally inadvisable to eject directly over the area you just bombed.