strathspey Archive: "Miss Gibson's Reel" by Jackie Johnstone [reworked]

"Miss Gibson's Reel" by Jackie Johnstone [reworked]

Message 43164 · Volleyballjerry · 13 Nov 2005 21:31:50 · Top

Reading Iain's analysis and now having received his very well done rewritten
instructions, I have to conclude as well that what the deviser had intended is
what Iain and not Jackie (him?)(her?)self actually put on paper. (This dance
dates back to the mid-seventies, so perhaps it's not possible to go to the
source and simply ask.)

Here's why I think that what Iain has done is significant: With thousands of
dances out there, it typically wouldn't matter if someone's dance somewhere
is awkward and unpopular, but this particular dance happens to carry Miss
Gibson's name, so that it is in fact quite a good thing if the dance can be rescued
from being "untidy and difficult," as Iain aptly puts it, to being one that
can gladly be danced from time to time, particularly since it really does seem
that Iain has indeed captured the deviser's intent. Think of it like a
restoration done on art by someone other than the original artist.

I encourage folks to request from Iain a copy of his nicely done
"restoration."

Robb Quint
Thousand Oaks, CA, USA

In a message dated 11/12/2005 12:29:26 AM Pacific Standard Time,
iain_boyd_scd@yahoo.co.nz writes:

> Subj: "Miss Gibson's Reel" by Jackie Johnstone
> Date: 11/12/2005 12:29:26 AM Pacific Standard Time
> From: iain_boyd_scd@yahoo.co.nz
> To: strathspey@strathspey.org
> Sent from the Internet
>

> Greetings everyone,
>
> Firstly, I have to say that I have not read everything that has been
> written about this dance.
>
> However, it is quite clear that there are at least two mistakes in the
> instructions (as Ian Simmonds and I discovered a couple of days ago when we spent
> over half an hour analyzing them).
>
> As Robb Quint has recently discovered it is almost impossible for first
> couple to dance from third place to a position above first place during bars
> 5-6.
>
> It is clear that second couple should move down along with third couple.
> This will make it easier for first couple, but, also, will improve the
> appearance of the next two bars - first couple will not be turning above first place
> and there will not be a gap in second place.
>
> As a consequence, second couple will have to dance up to first place at the
> end of the half reel of three during bars 9-12.
>
> Regarding bars 17-20, it is obvious, after a little consideration, that
> Jackie Johnstone had forgotten which side second and third couples were on when
> he specified how the two half reels of three across were to start. When I
> first read the instructions, I thought they were correct, but, only because I
> had forgotten that second and third couples finished on opposite sides after
> dancing bars 1-4.
>
> A quick analysis shows that second and third couples cross to opposite
> sides during bars 1-4, back to own sides during bars 7-8, to opposite sides
> during bars 9-16 and, finally, back to own sides during bars 17-20.
>
> If one forgets where second and third couples are, as is easy to do with
> all the crossing back and forth, it would be easy to specify the wrong dancers
> that must be passed at the beginning of the two half reels of three during
> bars 17-20.
>
> Consequently, it is our belief that first man passes second man while first
> woman passes third woman (both of whom are on opposite sides) at the
> beginning of these half reels. At the end of the half reels, first couple will
> finish on opposite sides in second place.
>
> With these two minor modifications the dance changes from being untidy and
> difficult to being reasonably danceable.
>
> If anyone would like a copy of our rewritten instructions, just email me
> and I will send a copy by return post.
>
> Regards,
>
> Iain Boyd

"Miss Gibson's Reel" by Jackie Johnstone [reworked]

Message 43168 · Helen Brown · 14 Nov 2005 00:29:29 · Top

Jackie Johnstone (him) is the other octogenarian to whom the dance "Double
Eighty" Book 45 is dedicated.

Jackie was a superb highland dancer and teacher as well as country dance
teacher and comes from Dumfries.

Anno domini prevents him from dancing now, I think, - I haven't seen him for
three or four years. He regularly attended the RSCDS AGM.

Helen

Helen C N Brown
York, UK

Reading Iain's analysis and now having received his very well done rewritten

instructions, I have to conclude as well that what the deviser had intended
is
what Iain and not Jackie (him?)(her?)self actually put on paper. (This
dance
dates back to the mid-seventies, so perhaps it's not possible to go to the
source and simply ask.)

"Miss Gibson's Reel" by Jackie Johnstone [reworked]

Message 43170 · Iain Boyd · 14 Nov 2005 02:52:41 · Top

Although I have 'reworked' the instructions of "Miss Gibson's Reel" on the basis of what seems most logical it would be nice to know for certain if my reconstruction is correct.

Could someone from the Borders try and contact Jackie and determine the correctness of my reconstruction.

I would be happy to correspond with him if someone can provide me with an address.

Regards,

Iain Boyd