strathspey Archive: The One O'clock Canon

The One O'clock Canon

Message 41913 · Ian Brockbank · 10 Aug 2005 11:05:07 · Top

Hi All,

It has recently been brought to my attention that there is an incorrect
crib of "The One O'clock Canon" circulating, which has the final dancing
couple doing a wheel in the middle after their rights and lefts. The
first wheel after the rights and lefts should be at the *end* in all
cases. If you have a crib or set of instructions for this dance, please
check that it matches the original, which is available at
http://www.scottishdance.net/dances/TheOneOClockCanon.html .

In summary, each set of 32 bars has the same form:
1-8 New 1s cross right, cast 2, cross right again, cast up, *while*
old 1s dance rights and lefts with the 4s (new 1s go through the
middle of the R&L).
9-16 RH across at the end, LH across in the middle
17-24 Reels of four on the sides
25-32 Turn end person RH (2 bars), LH across in the middle (4 bars), cast.

Obviously 1st and 5th set of 32 bars both only have one dancing couple.

The full instructions are as follows:

The One O'Clock Canon
A 64 bar Reel for a 4-couple longwise set, each couple starting after 32
bars.
Music: 5x32 Reel

Tune: The One O'Clock Cannon
(http://www.scottishdance.net/dances/TheOneOClockCanon.gif).

Note: each couple has 64 bars as dancing couple. However, the second couple
starts after 32 bars, so there are two dancing couples at once. Hence the
music is a 5x32 bar Reel.

1-8: 1st couple cross over RH, cast off two places, cross over RH and
cast up to 2nd place. 2nd couple step up on bars 3 & 4.

9-16: 1st couple dance right hands across across with the couple at the end,
then left hands across with the couple in the middle.

17-24: All dance reels of four on own sides.

25-26: 1st couple turn the end person once round giving right hands (this is
continuing the path of the reel, but nippy since you have to do a full turn
in 2 bars).

27-30: 1st couple dance left hands across with the couple below them (NB
this is across the music).

31-32: 1st couple cast off one place to 3rd place. (See Note)

At this point 2nd couple start the dance from the top _while_ 1st couple
continue as follows:

33-40: 1st couple dance rights and lefts with 4th couple. Note the new 1st
couple (old 2nd couple) will be crossing over through the middle of the
rights and lefts on bars 5 & 6 of the phrase.

41-48: 1st couple dance right hands across with the couple at the end, then
left hands across with the couple in the middle (now the new 1st couple).

49-56: All dance reels of four on own sides.

57-58: 1st couple turn the end person once round giving right hands (this is
continuing the path of the reel, but nippy since you have to do a full turn
in 2 bars).

59-62: 1st couple dance left hands across with the couple above them (NB
this is across the music).

63-64: 1st couple cast off one place to 4th place. (See Note)

Note: On bars 31-32, 3rd couple dance up to 2nd place giving nearer hands.
On bars 63-64, 95-96 and 127-128 4th couple dance up to 2nd place giving
nearer hands. On bars 159-160 4th couple dance up to 3rd place giving nearer
hands.

Cheers,

Ian Brockbank
Applications Software Team Leader
e: ian.brockbank@wolfsonmicro.com / apps@wolfsonmicro.com
scd: ian@scottishdance.net
t: +44 131 272 7145
f: +44 131 272 7001

The One O'clock Canon

Message 41918 · Volleyballjerry · 10 Aug 2005 18:10:08 · Top

This dance has been a familiar favorite with the San Gabriel Valley (Southern
California) Branch. Many were sad when its three-year term on our annual
list of dances finally expired. (Of course it can always be brought back again
in some future year.) It's an outstanding dance!

(We never did see the corrupted cues to which Ian refers. But since we have
our own annually produced branch cuebook, it's not likely that our own folks
would have gone elsewhere looking for cues.)

Robb Quint
Thousand Oaks, CA, USA

The One O'clock Canon

Message 41920 · Ian Brockbank · 11 Aug 2005 11:58:44 · Top

Hi Robb,

> This dance has been a familiar favorite with the San Gabriel Valley
(Southern
> California) Branch. Many were sad when its three-year term on our annual
> list of dances finally expired. (Of course it can always be brought back
> again in some future year.) It's an outstanding dance!

Wow - I hadn't realised it had caught on that well! Glad you enjoy it.

> (We never did see the corrupted cues to which Ian refers. But since we
have
> our own annually produced branch cuebook, it's not likely that our own
folks
> would have gone elsewhere looking for cues.)

I hope my original mail didn't come across as too "do my dances exactly to
the instructions or else". Thinking back I was afraid it might have done.
I don't mind in general if my dances pick up minor variations in
interpretation and phrasing. It's just that this change is awkward, and
completely misses the point of the dance (that everyone does the same thing
32 bars apart in a 64 bar dance). On the other hand, if you find any of
my instructions unclear, I'm delighted to answer questions. I reserve the
right to reply "I don't mind" or "that movement is deliberately ambiguous
in phrasing", however...

Many (drifting towards "some" - must get round to putting dances from the
last 5 years or so up...) of my dances are at
http://www.scottishdance.net/dances/ . And I will get round to putting
together a book. Honest! Anyone got any round tuits they could spare me?

Cheers,

Ian Brockbank
Edinburgh, Scotland
ian@scottishdance.net
http://www.scottishdance.net/

The One O'clock Canon

Message 41921 · Volleyballjerry · 11 Aug 2005 17:02:47 · Top

In a message dated 08/11/2005 2:59:23 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
ian@scottishdance.net writes:

> Hi Robb,
>
> >This dance has been a familiar favorite with the San Gabriel Valley
> (Southern
> >California) Branch. Many were sad when its three-year term on our annual
> >list of dances finally expired. (Of course it can always be brought back
> >again in some future year.) It's an outstanding dance!
>
> Wow - I hadn't realised it had caught on that well! Glad you enjoy it.

The dance in fact had become so popular that the neighboring Orange County
Branch, several of whose members regular attend our events, adopted it onto
their annual list just as its three-year term expired on ours.

Robb Quint
Thousand Oaks, CA, USA

P.S. (see below), another one of those minority of messages whereïn the
"Reply To strathspey..." is missing in the headings...don't know why!

Subj: RE: The One O'clock Canon
Date: 08/11/2005 2:59:23 AM Pacific Daylight Time
From: ian@scottishdance.net
To: strathspey@strathspey.org
Sent from the Internet (Details)

The One O'clock Canon

Message 41922 · Volleyballjerry · 12 Aug 2005 17:36:15 · Top

It's a click-of-the-mouse away at:

http://www.scottishdance.net/dances/TheOneOClockCanon.html

Robb

In a message dated 08/12/2005 5:57:26 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
pburrage@uvm.edu writes:

> Where do I find a copy of this popular dance? Who wrote it and what book
> is it
> in?
>
> Quoting Volleyballjerry@aol.com:
>
> >In a message dated 08/11/2005 2:59:23 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
> >ian@scottishdance.net writes:
> >
> >>Hi Robb,

> >>(Southern
> >>
> >>Wow - I hadn't realised it had caught on that well! Glad you enjoy it.
> >>

> >The dance in fact had become so popular that the neighboring Orange County
> >Branch, several of whose members regular attend our events, adopted it onto
> >their annual list just as its three-year term expired on ours.
> >
> >Robb Quint
> >Thousand Oaks, CA, USA
> >
> >P.S. (see below), another one of those minority of messages whereïn the
> >"Reply To strathspey..." is missing in the headings...don't know why!
> >
> >Subj: RE: The One O'clock Canon
> >Date: 08/11/2005 2:59:23 AM Pacific Daylight Time
> >From: ian@scottishdance.net
> >To: strathspey@strathspey.org
> >Sent from the Internet (Details)

The One O'clock Canon

Message 41923 · Volleyballjerry · 12 Aug 2005 17:45:03 · Top

P.S. Marvelous as this dance is (and it truly is!), be patient with it; it's
a bit of a challenge even for experienced dancers. When I first taught it
years ago, my class found it very helpful to learn it first as a strathspey. I
believe that we used the music for Scotch Mist (32 X 5).

Robb