strathspey Archive: Book 46

Book 46

Message 41879 · Andrea Re · 9 Aug 2005 11:36:12 · Top

Hi there,

I am sure lots of people will have posted similar messages in the past,
but couldn't find anything in the archive.
I would be very interested in knowing your views on book 46, or should I
say the not existence of it. As I have just discovered at Summer School,
a decision was taken to stop the publication of new books. New dances
would be available, with no music, in the pull-out section of the new
magazine and they would be collected in a folder (slightly reminiscent
of Good Housekeeping and recipes to be collected:).
A few questions spring to mind:
1) what if I lose a piece of paper with a dance, where/how am I going to
get a copy of it?
2) How am I to keep track of all the new dances if they keep on been
added and they are in my folder in no particular order?
3) what are people getting for their membership?
4) what is intrinsically evil about having a book of dances?
5) what about new music and new CDs, are they to be stopped as well?
6) what about Summer school? Since there will be no new book classes,
are they not afraid that their numbers will go down?
7) since virtually everybody under the sun is publishing books of
dances, isn't a bit odd that the RSCDS will be the only organization not
doing so?
8) Are RSCDS people writing dances to be published in non RSCDS
publications going to be excommunicated?
9) What was the point in having a groundbreaking (for RSCDS standards)
book 45 if it is not going to be followed by a book 46?
From the tone of these questions, it is obvious that I am not too happy
about this change. I don't want detailed answers to my questions....
they represent me thinking aloud more than anything else; what I would
like is to hear from someone who is in favour of this policy and can
write in DEFENCE of it so that I can understand why it is being
implemented and why the members are not being given the chance to say
anything about it. At Summer School I asked quite a few people and I got
the following reactions:
1) didn't know (majority of ordinary members)
2) Knew, but where appalled (some)
3) Knew, but wouldn't express an opinion (especially people high up in
the society)
4) Read it somewhere (probably here) a long time ago and forgot all
about it. (2 in total).
I believe that costs played a considerable part in the decision making
process, but if that is the case, wouldn't it be wiser to cut down
somewhere else? Are we not running the risk of becoming more and more
disenfranchised from what happens in the real world? Are we not running
the risk of being left behind? Are we not running the risk of leading
to our (for some long overdue) demise?
Let me finish with a quote (no prizes for guessing where it is from)
"To promote/publish by all available means information and music
relating to Scottish country dancing and in particular to publish, or
cause to be published, descriptions of Scottish country Dances with
music and diagrams in simple form and at a moderate price".

Andrea

Book 46

Message 41880 · Pia Walker · 9 Aug 2005 11:53:03 · Top

The International Branch formally asked a lot of these questions many months
ago, and am still looking for an answer.

Pia
> [...]
> the society)
> 4) Read it somewhere (probably here) a long time ago and forgot all
> about it. (2 in total).
> I believe that costs played a considerable part in the decision making
> process, but if that is the case, wouldn't it be wiser to cut down
> somewhere else? Are we not running the risk of becoming more and more
> disenfranchised from what happens in the real world? Are we not running
> the risk of being left behind? Are we not running the risk of leading
> to our (for some long overdue) demise?
> Let me finish with a quote (no prizes for guessing where it is from)
> "To promote/publish by all available means information and music
> relating to Scottish country dancing and in particular to publish, or
> cause to be published, descriptions of Scottish country Dances with
> music and diagrams in simple form and at a moderate price".

Book 46

Message 41881 · Lee Fuell · 9 Aug 2005 12:38:33 · Top

Andrea,

I'm not the person who can defend the policy change, but after going through the near-revolt over proposed subscription rate hikes in 2001 I can understand the desire to contain costs. In response to your question about what we get for our membership, here is what, among other things, I would like (if I wrote everything this e-mail would be so long it would crash Anselm's server):

I'd like a robust, up-to-date and informative RSCDS web site, with new dances posted in .pdf format in the password-protected members area. That way, I wouldn't have to save hundreds of loose-leaf pages and risk losing them, I could just print off a copy from the web site whenever I needed it. In fact, in the new system I expect I'll wind up scanning in the dances and saving them as jpegs anyway (note that, at least in the US, copying to a different media for personal use is not a copyright violation).

The RSCDS has made great strides in coming into the information age in recent years; the way they used their web site to solicit feedback on the new exam process last year was a huge step forward. Perhaps they can follow that with the above idea.

Hopefully someone will reply with some answers to your questions. If not, perhaps they can be addressed in the AGM this year. Do you have a representative you can ask to raise them?

Happy dancing,

Lee

Lee Fuell
Flying Ghillies Scottish Country Dancers
Dayton, OH, USA

[...]
From the tone of these questions, it is obvious that I am not too happy
[...]

Message 41882 · Andrea Re · 9 Aug 2005 12:49:35 · Top

>Hopefully someone will reply with some answers to your questions. If not, perhaps they can be addressed in the AGM this year. Do you have a representative you can ask to raise them?

Hi Lee,

we had our (baby) AGM last night and a motion (proposed by myself) was
passed to write to HQ to see if we can raise the subject at the (daddy)
AGM in November. However it seems that it is too late to have something
included even under AOCB. Quite frankly I cannot believe that they can
stop it if enough people want it especially given the fact that the
members were not given a say on the matter.

I hope that some supporters of the proposal will come out and join the
discussion in the next few days; I think everybody would benefit from it.

Andrea

RSCDS on the web (was Re: Book 46)

Message 41885 · Tim Harrison · 9 Aug 2005 14:52:18 · Top

Lee Fuell mentioned that he'd like to see "a robust, up-to-date and informative RSCDS web site, with new dances posted in .pdf format in the password-protected members area."

It appears to me that RSCDS is working on a website, a work in progress, to provide dance instructions to its members. I'm not sure the "public" is supposed to be aware of its existence, because it is incomplete (some features don't work correctly or are unavailable). Visit www.dancedetails.com to see a website described as "a repository of dance descriptions, cribs, and other information relating to Scottish Country dances." The website is a modified version of www.rscds.org, with a DanceDetails link on the left, which permits a member of the website to query a dance database. The dance database it is currently using might be Alan Patersons DanceData. I suggest this, because a result from a query for a devisor with my last name includes some of my teaching dances that appear in his database.

Tim Harrison
Austin,Texas

RSCDS on the web (was Re: Book 46)

Message 41886 · Tim Harrison · 9 Aug 2005 15:16:26 · Top

As Lydia Hedge noticed the website should have been www.dancedetails.org , not .com

Tim Harrison
Austin,Texas

RSCDS on the web (was Re: Book 46)

Message 41888 · Alan Paterson · 9 Aug 2005 15:49:03 · Top

On 09/08/2005 14:52, Tim Harrison wrote:
> Lee Fuell mentioned that he'd like to see "a robust, up-to-date and
> informative RSCDS web site, with new dances posted in .pdf format in
> the password-protected members area."
>
> It appears to me that RSCDS is working on a website, a work in
> progress, to provide dance instructions to its members. I'm not sure
> the "public" is supposed to be aware of its existence, because it is
> incomplete (some features don't work correctly or are unavailable).
> Visit www.dancedetails.com to see a website described as "a
> repository of dance descriptions, cribs, and other information
> relating to Scottish Country dances."
> The website is a modified
> version of www.rscds.org, with a DanceDetails link on the left, which
> permits a member of the website to query a dance database.

Anyone from the Society web-services committee care to comment on this
web-site?

> The dance
> database it is currently using might be Alan Patersons DanceData.

No. It is certainly not.

> suggest this, because a result from a query for a devisor with my
> last name includes some of my teaching dances that appear in his
> database.

It may hold data which has been extracted from the publically available
downloadable files containg the dancedata information - see
http://www.scottap.com/dancedata/ - which has always been freely available.

Alan

Book 46

Message 41884 · Beth Kingsley · 9 Aug 2005 13:49:26 · Top

I had not heard about this decision, but as a first reaction am not sure
it's a bad thing. Is it really necessary to have a new book each and every
year? Publishing them in the magazine allows more or fewer than a book's
worth to be published, so there is flexibility to publish as many as may be
worth publishing. As Lee points out, there is room to take even greater
advantage of available technology to make publication services even more
useful to members.

As for not having music, that's a shame in the case of newer dances devised
for a particular tune, or for which their own tune has been written. But I
do not object to suspending the practice of identifying an "official" tune
for each and every dance published, which can have the effect of making that
tune unavailable for other dances. If "any good reel" will do, and is
specified by the devisor, why do I need the publications committee to
specify music?

Now that there are so many other sources for newly published dances, do we
really lose much by not having another "official" book come out annually? I
see no harm to taking a break for a while and evaluating the real ongoing
need; if this is a decision "written in stone," that's another thing, and
probably unfortunate. But much as I love many dances devised in this
century and last, there is an understandable argument that the objects of
the Society are supposed to focus on "the practice of traditional Scottish
Country Dances." I appreciate the innovation and new dances that make this
a living dance form, but can see that if taken too far it can alter the
nature of what is recognized as SCD in the traditional sense.

Mind you, I am completely sympathetic to the feeling that this is an
important decision taken without adequate input from the members. I usually
pay little attention to RSCDS politics (too busy dancing and having fun in
my free time), but if that's the case it was at best unwise. And I really
do have mixed feelings on hearing about this decision for the first time;
just trying to set out some of the more positive thoughts in response to
your points. It would be helpful if someone from the Society leadership
could explain their reasoning and address your other questions.

Beth

Book 46

Message 41890 · Jinkdiddle · 9 Aug 2005 16:01:25 · Top

On January 28, 2005, I raised this topic with the International Branch. The
following is the final paragraph from one of my e-mails that day.

"I am REALLY concerned that abandoning publication would be detrimental to
the Society itself, to SCD as taught by the RSCDS and to all the dancers who
love this form of dance. Can we poll IB members to determine if I am a lone
voice in the wilderness - or if, like you, Pia, people just haven't picked up
on the proposal?"

International Branch was very responsive - and some e-discussion ensued. As
Pia has already mentioned, this resulted in a formal submission to HQ - to
which there has been no formal reply. Ignore us and we'll go away?

But I am no less concerned today than I was seven months ago - and, like
Andrea, I am none too happy about this change. Any time I mention it to anyone
else, the reaction is invariably one of appalled surprise and incredulity.

I suggest that it's time to mobilize, dancers. It's time to tell the
powers-that-be that WE care about OUR Society!

Moira Turner
Chesterfield VA

Book 46

Message 41891 · L. Friedman-Shedlov · 9 Aug 2005 16:16:13 · Top

> 1) what if I lose a piece of paper with a dance, where/how am I going to get
> a copy of it?

I am sure replacement copies would be available as leaflets. Also, I
believe electronic versions will be made available for downloading from
the RSCDS web site.

> 2) How am I to keep track of all the new dances if they keep on been added
> and they are in my folder in no particular order?

Are you telling me you don't already have a folder or notebook(s) with
loose dances you have collected? I have a couple hundred, and I find
alphabetical order works fine for me.

> 3) what are people getting for their membership?

Well, it sounds like you'd be getting pretty much the same as
you've been getting in the past, if not more, actually. You'd be getting
the equivalent of a leaflet publication of new dances (some years in the
past the subscription "book" was only a leaflet, so this isn't really
such a drastic change), PLUS a semi-annual magazine which is SENT
DIRECTLY TO YOU, rather than distributed through a branch secretary.
Also, they are working on adding many more valuable features to the web
site, as has been mentioned by others.

> 4) what is intrinsically evil about having a book of dances?

Ummm, nothing. Who said there was anything intrinsically evil?

> 5) what about new music and new CDs, are they to be stopped as well?

I don't see why the dances published in the magazine couldn't be published
along with music. I don't know if that is actually the plan, but it
certainly isn't out of the question. According to Stewart Adam, they are
looking at making recorded music available for download from the web site
(MP3 or the like). Presumeably, recordings for individual dances could be
made available this way and people can burn their own CD or whatever.

> 6) what about Summer school? Since there will be no new book classes, are
> they not afraid that their numbers will go down?

Is this really a major motivating factor for attending summer school?
That surprises me.

> 7) since virtually everybody under the sun is publishing books of dances,
> isn't a bit odd that the RSCDS will be the only organization not doing so?

That's exactly the point. Lots of people are publishing dances and will
continue to do so, whether the RSCDS does so or not. Is there a
compelling need for RSCDS to keep re-publishing them?

> 8) Are RSCDS people writing dances to be published in non RSCDS publications
> going to be excommunicated?

Gee, lots of "RSCDS people" have published dances in non-RSCDS
publications already and as far as I know they are still members in good
standing.

> 9) What was the point in having a groundbreaking (for RSCDS standards) book
> 45 if it is not going to be followed by a book 46?

Since I haven't yet laid eyes on book 45, I can't answer this one. I'm not
sure what you mean by "ground-breaking."

Frankly, I'm surprised how many people are saying they didn't know
anything about this. I managed to hear all about it in the darkest
depths of the Midwestern United States. I know there was an article in
the last bulletin, for example.

> I believe that costs played a considerable part in the decision making
> process, but if that is the case, wouldn't it be wiser to cut down somewhere
> else?

Such as?

> Are we not running the risk of becoming more and more disenfranchised
> from what happens in the real world? Are we not running the risk of being
> left behind? Are we not running the risk of leading to our (for some long
> overdue) demise?

I don't understand what you mean by disenfranchised, but I think
I disagree. I think these changes, assuming that the Society follows
through on the plans to move to more electronic distribution of material,
are a move in the right direction.

> Let me finish with a quote (no prizes for guessing where it is from)
> "To promote/publish by all available means information and music relating to
> Scottish country dancing and in particular to publish, or cause to be
> published, descriptions of Scottish country Dances with music and diagrams in
> simple form and at a moderate price".

I think the changes are in line with this aspect of the Society's mission.
They will be continuing to publish new dances in the magazine. Also, they
are making instructions for RSCDS dances (and non-RSCDS dances, from the
look of it) available online.

/ Lara Friedman-Shedlov
Minneapolis, Minnesota USA

Book 46

Message 41893 · Andrea Re · 9 Aug 2005 16:41:31 · Top

L. Friedman~Shedlov ha scritto:

> [...]
>> (for some long overdue) demise?
>

> I don't understand what you mean by disenfranchised, but I think I
> disagree. I think these changes, assuming that the Society follows
> through on the plans to move to more electronic distribution of
> material, are a move in the right direction.
>
>> Let me finish with a quote (no prizes for guessing where it is from)
>> "To promote/publish by all available means information and music
>> relating to Scottish country dancing and in particular to publish, or
>> cause to be published, descriptions of Scottish country Dances with
>> music and diagrams in simple form and at a moderate price".
>

> I think the changes are in line with this aspect of the Society's
> mission. They will be continuing to publish new dances in the
> magazine. Also, they are making instructions for RSCDS dances (and
> non-RSCDS dances, from the look of it) available online.

Dear Lara,

sorry if I can't reply at length, but I am supposed to be working:(
I am glad that people in favour of this change are coming out and
joining the discussion. I certainly agree with virtually all that you
are saying. RSCDS on line? Couldn't come a minute too soon. However
before making radical changes I would have the structure up and running,
check that it works and that contains all the info needed, THEN I would
ask the member whether they thought the books had become obsolete and
THEN I would do away with them. What is this haste all of a sudden?
Besides, I might be old fashioned, but I like the feeling a book gives
me, as opposed to a screen or a printed piece of paper.

Cheers,

Andrea

PS

Indeed I have a box file full of dances, but my organizational skills
don't allow me to have them in any order:( I dare not think what it
would happen with lots of more leaflets:)

Book 46

Message 41900 · Andrea Re · 9 Aug 2005 19:30:20 · Top

I have been reading the comments that have been proposed and they are
quite interesting, but I would like to go back to the original
discussion about the non-new book. I have managed to find out where it
was mentioned, i.e. in the 2004 bulletin at page 7 (convenor's report
membership services committee), half way down. The matter is mentioned
in 14 lines along with other things.....Indeed what the proposal is, is
not all that clear either.... I suppose I have to apologize for not
reading my bulletin too carefully.

A small aside: I was told that there was going to be a core of, I
think, 150 dances from which the programs should be drawn (good idea in
principle, but we are still talking about RSCDS dances only), so that
some older dances could be resurrected. I think this is a very good idea
indeed, but I thought that the featured dances were supposed to do
exactly that.

Andrea.

Book 46

Message 41904 · Miriam L. Mueller · 9 Aug 2005 21:36:48 · Top

Was surprised to find that RSCDS had ceased publication of new dance
books. (Missed our Branch AGM & don't remember a notice in our excellent
Branch newsletter - but I may have missed it.) A few comments -
What magazine? The last publication I got was not very different
from the glossy bulletins we once got, and no more interesting.
If the RSCDS will publish individual dances, why not with music?
Other dance organizations do that all the time.
Suggestion: How about numbering the published individual dances
with a book number and dance number, and then offering the book
compilation for sale when 10 or 12 dances have been published. E.g. the
first dance so published would be Book 46, Dance 1 (2005), of Vol 46,
Dance 1.

Without the books, the only reason I personally have to support
the Society is teacher certification (we DO have wonderful teachers) and
the School (which I can't attend). I get more information from
strathspey-net. I appreciate what the Society did in rescuing &
standardizing the dance form, but what directly affects me now is the
publishing of dances and the periodic ukase from Edinburgh that a figure
we did one way should now be done another way.
Miriam Mueller San Francisco

Book 46

Message 41912 · Ron Mackey · 10 Aug 2005 10:44:35 · Top

> Andrea
>
> PS
>
> Indeed I have a box file full of dances, but my organizational skills
> don't allow me to have them in any order:( I dare not think what it
> would happen with lots of more leaflets:)
>
> Andrea Re

Try copying them all onto your PC, sorting them into any order
you like and you can throw away all the bits of paper for recycling
except for the ones you wish to use. I suspect that 80-90% of all 'bits
of paper' are never used?
You are the one asking for the RSCDS to use more technology!
Talking of organisational skills - I thought Summer School was
superbly organised. Well done team!!

Book 46

Message 41919 · Pia Walker · 11 Aug 2005 10:12:26 · Top

In defense of Andreas words with regards to bits of paper - I don't think
the issue is what people do with the information they receive, but which way
the information is presented and distributed.

Perhaps if we are to get a loose-leaf system, there has to be a binder
system developed for the upkeep and maintenance of such a system - i.e.
'corporate' ring-binders where you can keep your Strathspeys, reels and jigs
in one each. and the loose pages should be printed, so when the pages are
in the binders the dance will show on one side and the music on the other.
i.e the holes punched in opposite of each other.

With book form, you can see that you have received all the dances, in
leaflet form it is more difficult to keep an eye on whether you actually
have received the dance, have received it but have lost the bits of paper or
merely mislaid it, plus of course the leaflets do get worn and grubby
(unless they are going to be printed on some really top-notch paper).

Pia

> > Indeed I have a box file full of dances, but my organizational skills
> > don't allow me to have them in any order:( I dare not think what it
> > would happen with lots of more leaflets:)
> >
> > Andrea Re
>
> Try copying them all onto your PC, sorting them into any order
> you like and you can throw away all the bits of paper for recycling
> except for the ones you wish to use. I suspect that 80-90% of all 'bits
> of paper' are never used?
> You are the one asking for the RSCDS to use more technology!
> Talking of organisational skills - I thought Summer School was
> superbly organised. Well done team!!

Book 46

Message 41931 · Andrea Re · 21 Aug 2005 13:17:07 · Top

Hope that everybody is enjoying their sunbathing, scuba diving, safaris,
mountain climbing etc etc. For those unfortunate people who are in
town (and for those down under where it is winter:) I enclose some
food for thought. I cut and pasted the background information I managed
to find on the internet and on the bulletin. See what you think.

*_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
*

*
From the **RSCDS BRANCH FORUM REPORT*

*AGM **1 November 2003*

* *

*3. SOCIETY PUBLICATIONS AND HOW WE USE THEM*

Nine branches commented on this and their comments included:

. Does the Society need to publish a new book of dances every year?

. Should there be more emphasis on teaching the older dances?

. Dancers, teachers and musicians have different needs

. Publishing books in ring binders would provide the ability to update
easily

. Options would be helpful- e.g. with music, or without

. Packaged books- e.g. dances suitable for children, 30 popular dances,
selected dances for new teachers to encourage use of the early dances

. New members could be given a set of 15 popular dances

. Couples could have reduced subscription as they do not need two books

. Could crib cards be offered as an alternative to books?

. Member involvement in choosing dances is a positive move and should be
continued (cf book 44)

*Recommendations:*

. Consideration be given to alternative ways of 'packaging' dances to
encourage more interest in older dances and to support specific groups
e.g. children with suitable dances, newly qualified teachers etc.

. The provision of dances in formats that meet the specific needs of
dancers, musicians, teachers. (loose leaf, ring binders) be discussed
and evaluated.

. When considering dances for a new book, the recent innovation of
enabling Branches to evaluate the dances should continue.

. Consideration be given to the production of crib cards as an
alternative to books.

*From the convenor's report, Membership services committee; RSCDS
bulletin, issue 82 November 2004*

The Management Board charged the committee to consider a complete
revision of the society's publishing policy following the discussion
which took place during the Branch Forum at the AGM in November 2003. We
found it difficult to separate publications and communication as the two
are clearly linked. Members will still receive a subscription
publication, but it will not be a book of dances as is the current
practice. An editorial team has been established to produce a magazine
which will be published biannually. A smaller number of dances will be
printed annually in one issue of the magazine. This magazine will be
mailed directly to members thus saving time and cost. A separate article
about the new publication appears elsewhere in this bulletin.

Me talking again:

I was kind of hoping that someone from the management board and/or the
membership committee would come forward and tell us more about the whys
of this new policy (please note, I could not possibly expect someone in
office to criticize it openly since they are sworn to "collective
responsibility", as the government would say:). I enjoyed reading the
comments given on this lists by some members: quite often they contained
very interesting comments and suggestions, but what came out, in my
opinion, was a feeling that something else should be in place BEFORE you
dismantle something that is so well established. My impression is that
we are doing away with the books, but there is nothing there really to
replace them or that would explain their (in my view) untimely demise.
Are we witnessing a case of "the branch the shouts the loudest wins the
day"?
If someone knows one of the "big guys" in charge, please ask them to
write on this list giving us more information about this issue. The
matter will have been discussed, voted and approved, so there should be
plenty of people more then willing to come forward to dispel all our doubts.

>From Bonnie Dundee,

Andrea Re

Book 46

Message 41934 · mlamontbrown · 22 Aug 2005 12:47:08 · Top

Andrea

I'm glad that you managed to find so much information relating to this issue - I
thought we had made an effort to make it generally available, and it is good to have
it confirmed.

I can't give all the reasoning (mainly because I can't remember it!), but part of my
own reasons for supporting the decision is that it is coupled with the decision to
move from an Annual Bulletin which is often of little interest to members, to a
Magazine that will be issued twice a year to members, which we hope and plan to be of
interest both to members and non-members. We are simultaneously moving to a system
whereby these magazines will be sent (as far as possible) directly to all members, so
we are already taking a calculated risk that the overall costs will be broadly
similar to the previous arrangements. For me, the suggestion that we publish the new
dances in the magazine in some way seemed to combine the benefits of a better
magazine with a way of continuing to publish new dances, without incurring additional
costs.

Over the years the Society has published many dances in leaflets, from single dances
such as "Reel of the Royal Scots" to sets of three - "Fraser's Favourite, etc", and
even in small booklets "Four for 1978" and "5 Traditional", so I do not have a
problem with new dances in the magazine being either easily detachable or even "take
the staple out to remove the pages"!

As with many decisions the Management Board are making, this one should not be
considered as the final word on the subject. However we have been elected to
"manage", which means taking decisions, and then reviewing the results and if
necessary coming up with hopefully a better decision if we find the first one has
problems. However we cannot get to the review stage without trying it!

If the Management Board sticks with the status quo we are guilty of not listening and
being incapable of change; if we decide to change something as a result of listening
to complaints then we are guilty of changing something which some people are happy
with. A case of heads you win, tails I lose?

I must emphasise that this reply is an individual response from one member of the
M.B., and does not necessarily reflect the views of any other Board members.

Malcolm L Brown
York
Of
> [...]
> comments given on this lists by some members: quite often they contained
> very interesting comments and suggestions, but what came out, in my
> opinion, was a feeling that something else should be in place BEFORE you
> dismantle something that is so well established. My impression is that
> we are doing away with the books, but there is nothing there really to
> replace them or that would explain their (in my view) untimely demise.
> Are we witnessing a case of "the branch the shouts the loudest wins the
> day"?
> If someone knows one of the "big guys" in charge, please ask them to
> write on this list giving us more information about this issue. The
> matter will have been discussed, voted and approved, so there should be
> plenty of people more then willing to come forward to dispel all our doubts.

Book 46

Message 41935 · Andrea Re · 22 Aug 2005 13:10:15 · Top

Dear Malcolm,

hope you are all packed and ready to go down under:)

thank you very much for your reply, at least now we have something from
someone in the know.

>I'm glad that you managed to find so much information relating to this issue - I
>thought we had made an effort to make it generally available, and it is good to have
>it confirmed.

I cannot make out whether you are jesting or being serious..... it took
me quite some time (as in A LOT!) to gather this info, since all the
people I asked didn't know where it came from (until one person in
Dundee said that there was something in the bulletin or in the news
brief or some place else, so I had to start reading it until I found
what I was looking for). However, in my case, this could have been due
to my scandalous lack on knowledge of RSDCS politics

>If the Management Board sticks with the status quo we are guilty of not listening and
>being incapable of change; if we decide to change something as a result of listening
>to complaints then we are guilty of changing something which some people are happy
>with. A case of heads you win, tails I lose?

Whose complaints? What was the complaints? Where they talking about the
magazine or the books? This is quite important point! Are you referring
to what was said in the forum during the 2003 AGM? If so, should such an
important matter be discussed only by 7 branches?

>I must emphasise that this reply is an individual response from one member of the
>M.B., and does not necessarily reflect the views of any other Board members.

Is what you have been saying here what the Management Board thinks, or
is it only your "Malcolm Brown's individual response".

Anyway, enough for now.

Enjoy your "holiday",

Andrea (fae Dundee)

Book 46

Message 41936 · Christina France · 22 Aug 2005 13:15:11 · Top

Hi All,
I too belong to the Management Board. I would agree with what
Malcolm has said. Please remember we are trying to improve communication
within RSCDS. If you've got any good ideas we'd love to hear them. Also the
Board needs 6 new members so how about some of you volunteering for 2005 -
2008 ?
Happy Dancing
Christina France

Book 46

Message 41937 · alan mair · 22 Aug 2005 14:45:53 · Top

Malcolm

> I can't give all the reasoning (mainly because I can't remember it!), but
part of my
> own reasons for supporting the decision is that it is coupled with the
decision to
> move from an Annual Bulletin which is often of little interest to members,
to a
> Magazine that will be issued twice a year to members, which we hope and
plan to be of
> interest both to members and non-members.
I think the argument is becoming confused between a change of name and a
change of format. The latter may be justified and may well prove popular but
was it necessary to change the name? The Bulletin did inform members about
the business of the AGM and there is surely an expectation, if not a
constitutional requirement that this information continues to be provided.

> We are simultaneously moving to a system
> whereby these magazines will be sent (as far as possible) directly to all
members, so
> we are already taking a calculated risk that the overall costs will be
broadly
> similar to the previous arrangements.
I hope it is more "calculated" and less "risk"!!!

> Over the years the Society has published many dances in leaflets, from
single dances
> such as "Reel of the Royal Scots" to sets of three - "Fraser's Favourite,
etc", and
> even in small booklets "Four for 1978" and "5 Traditional", so I do not
have a
> problem with new dances in the magazine being either easily detachable or
even "take
> the staple out to remove the pages"!
Since the Exec Council voted not to produce any more leaflets, Andrea is
quite justified in suggesting that there should have been consultation on
this issue. Can we deduce from your reference to these earlier leaflets that
these "insert" dances will come with music?

> If the Management Board sticks with the status quo we are guilty of not
listening and
> being incapable of change; if we decide to change something as a result of
listening
> to complaints then we are guilty of changing something which some people
are happy
> with. A case of heads you win, tails I lose?
I hope the MB do not regularly decide to alter the status quo on the toss of
a coin!!

> I must emphasise that this reply is an individual response from one member
of the
> M.B., and does not necessarily reflect the views of any other Board
members.
And mine is only a cry from the wilderness.

Alan
Cupar
Fife

Book 46

Message 41940 · Brian Charlton · 25 Aug 2005 00:54:09 · Top

G'Day, All,

What puzzles me in all this is how the Society is going to manage the
member database. Membership is annual, with new membership numbers
issued each year. It seems to me that there is a phenominal work-load
in maintaining an up-to-date listing of over 20,000 and ensuring that
each person who has paid their membership gets their issue of the new
magazine (and that members who have not renewed get dropped off the
list).

Distribution directly to each member, particularly to those overseas,
also seems to me to add significant additional costs (which will have
to be borne by the membership fees). Have these problems all been
addressed? If so, what are the answers?

Brian Charlton,
Sydney, Australia

James Senior

Message 41943 · Pia Walker · 25 Aug 2005 09:36:22 · Top

According to the Courier this morning, it was announced that
Mr James Senior, St Andrews 1923 - 2005
has passed away

Mr Senior had for many years been a dance shoemaker extraordinaire for many
scottish country dancers until his retirement in 2001, and I'm sure many of
you would join in sending a thought to his family.

Pia

Charlie Todd

Message 41945 · alan mair · 25 Aug 2005 11:44:15 · Top

Dancers and golfers from all airts and pairts will be saddened to hear that
Charlie Todd (Freuchie) passed away this morning.

Charlie had been unwell for the last twelve months although he was back in
form for the Burns' season earlier in the year.

Our thoughts at this time are with Chrys, Alison and the rest of his family.

Alan
Cupar
Fife

Charlie Todd

Message 41946 · Richard Goss · 25 Aug 2005 12:01:58 · Top

As a student at St Andrews, I attended and ejoyed his classes in Upper Victory Hall, my respects to his family. He will be missed by all who knew him.

Richard Goss

Charlie Todd

Message 41947 · Richard Goss · 25 Aug 2005 12:02:06 · Top

As a student at St Andrews, I attended and ejoyed his classes in Upper Victory Hall, my respects to his family. He will be missed by all who knew him.

Richard Goss

Charlie Todd

Message 41964 · DONNA WEIDENFELLER · 26 Aug 2005 20:27:01 · Top

Thank you Alan (tho i do not know you) for the sharing the sad news of
Charlie's death..for now I can send Allison a card.
Donna Weidenfeller
San Francisco Branch

"Dance,then,wherever you may be.."

James Senior

Message 41948 · Richard Goss · 25 Aug 2005 12:04:45 · Top

Even though James Senior was no longer associated with our shoes, when my luggage did not arive with me last year, I paid him a visit in his shop. As with all of us he had aged in the 20 years I had been away. Outside of dancing, my memories of him was with the horses on the Grange road out of St Andrews. My best to his daughter.

Richard Goss

James Senior

Message 41949 · Thomas G. Mungall, III · 25 Aug 2005 15:20:33 · Top

Pia, Do you have a link to the article of Mr. Senior's obituary?

Tom Mungall
> According to the Courier this morning, it was announced that
> Mr James Senior, St Andrews 1923 - 2005
> has passed away
>
> Mr Senior had for many years been a dance shoemaker extraordinaire for
many
> scottish country dancers until his retirement in 2001, and I'm sure many
of
> you would join in sending a thought to his family.
>
> Pia

James Senior

Message 41950 · Pia Walker · 25 Aug 2005 15:38:48 · Top

I'm afraid tI haven't. Living i Courier Country, I get the Courier
delivered every morning - although I do look at the Danish news on the web,
I like the feel of a paper when I have my morning coffee :>)

Pia
> Pia, Do you have a link to the article of Mr. Senior's obituary?
>
> Tom Mungall

8/24/2005

James Senior

Message 41951 · Thomas G. Mungall, III · 25 Aug 2005 16:14:48 · Top

I see, so I assume the notice was in today's paper?

Tom
> I'm afraid tI haven't. Living i Courier Country, I get the Courier
> delivered every morning - although I do look at the Danish news on the
web,
> I like the feel of a paper when I have my morning coffee :>)
>
> Pia

James Senior

Message 41952 · Pia Walker · 25 Aug 2005 16:40:45 · Top

Yes the notice was in today - his funeral is today as well, according to my
neighbour, he passed away on Sunday in hospital after having been ill for
some time.

Pia
> I see, so I assume the notice was in today's paper?
>
> Tom

James Senior

Message 41953 · Thomas G. Mungall, III · 25 Aug 2005 17:13:56 · Top

Thanks Pia. I wanted to pass the information on to the "Scotattire-List".

Yours aye,

Tom

> Yes the notice was in today - his funeral is today as well, according to
my
> neighbour, he passed away on Sunday in hospital after having been ill for
> some time.
>
> Pia

James Senior

Message 41954 · Margaret Lambourne · 25 Aug 2005 21:44:43 · Top

Elaine Wilde and I happened to see James Senior when we were in his
daughter's shop while we were in ST A for 2nd week SS and he was looking
frail then but not actually ill.

Margaret

Thomas G. Mungall, III wrote:
> Thanks Pia. I wanted to pass the information on to the "Scotattire-List".
>
> Yours aye,
>
> Tom

Book 46

Message 41944 · Pia Walker · 25 Aug 2005 09:48:48 · Top

Other membership organisations manage - even orgs that are bigger than
RSCDS - so why shouldn't RSCDS? Theoretically I can see any difference
between for example RSCDS and The Royal & Ancient which governs golf all
over the world and send material out to golf clubs and golfers all over the
world.

As long as whoever does it are aware that it will take time to manage the
database, clean and update it regularly, that it must be done, and that the
tast becomes unwieldy if it is left to the last minute. Purely practical,
I hope it is not just one person's job to do this - skills' transfer here is
very important.

With regards to cost - a lot of us have now achieved cyber status and can
use an e-mail, so a change to a mix of e-mail and snail-mail would keep cost
down - after all, if I can't get a nice shiny book any more I would prefer
to get the dances in pdf-format, so I at least can store them on my pc.

Pia